Wow Sony, that was a messed up move.

#1 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

You see, my brother is a legit console player since he plays a lot of online games. He had a **** ton of DLC since the beginning of PSN. Well, one day he had to reformat his HDD because... well... he never actually told me. I just never bothered to ask. Anyways, he had to reformat his HDD. After he did all of that, he went to setup everything and login. As soon as he hit login... nothing. A message popped up saying he can't login to that account because it's already being used or something like that. He double checked everything and his email and password were correct.

So, he calls up Sony. Of course they give him the run around. Saying that he has to talk to the billing people, then they said that he has to talk to the account recovery people, then they said that he has to talk to the customer service people. Finally, he got a hold of someone that would help him... or did he? Nope, apparently not. They mentioned that he has used up all of his account activations. How did he do that? Even I'm not so sure. He only has one friend on his friends list and this guy doesn't even need to do any game sharing. Apparently he gets some fat paychecks that he can just buy what he wants.

Anyways, after so long of arguing with Sony's customer service about who can hijack his account, they just couldn't do anything to help him. Apparently they can't deactivate all the systems that are using his account themselves. Why? I don't know. Hell, they don't even have an option to deactivate all systems on the PS3. They really need to. I mean, if they have the ability to send automatic updates, ban systems or accounts, and upload saved game data to servers, then they should have the ability to deactivate all systems that use an account.

So all those downloads gone. A crap ton of downloads since the beginning of PSN all gone. Trophies, DLC, PSN games, etc. All of it... gone. How would you guys feel?

#2 Posted by BelligerentEngine (348 posts) -

Just reading this filled me with rage so I'd probably have to go break things if this had happened to me.

#3 Posted by Nasar7 (2805 posts) -

Why didn't he back up the HD? 

#4 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@ch13696: Wait, what? So you can only log your account into X number of PS3s?
#5 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Vodun said:
" @ch13696: Wait, what? So you can only log your account into X number of PS3s? "
Yep, only up to 5 machines. 

@Nasar7 said:
" Why didn't he back up the HD?  "
Don't know. Guess he didn't think about that. Hell, I didn't even know you can do that till a few weeks ago.
#6 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

Digital Distribution still has a long way to go and consumers are adopting it way too fast given the BS your brother went through and what others may go through as well.
#7 Edited by Ocean_H (290 posts) -

And he never told you why he had to reformat his HDD. A single reason can change a whole perception.

#8 Posted by geirr (2709 posts) -

That does sound shitty! 

Friend of mine here in Europe had a similar problem; 
after power outage his HD seemingly croaked and upon getting a new one 
he wasn't allowed to recreate his account with the reason of it being "expired" (whatever that means).  
In this case though after 3 talks with Sony customer service they fixed it and  
he was back in there with at least his trophy data and game purchases intact. 

#9 Posted by shootfast (16 posts) -

Long way to go sony has, on the xbox I can look up online and see the serial of the xbox that the content is attached to. I can even switch it to another xbox if I so desired(only once per year).

#10 Posted by WarlordPayne (706 posts) -
@ch13696: Sony doesn't give a shit about their customers.  If you check the BBB Microsoft's Xbox division has an A+, Nintendo of America has an A+, SCEA has an F.  Microsoft has more than triple the number of complaints filed against them that Sony has and yet Microsoft has a top rank while Sony has the worst.  Microsoft may fuck up but they, apparently, at least try to make amends.  Sony couldn't care less.
#11 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I really don't get how he could've used all his activations if he didn't share or sign into friends houses to play or something, cuz if he did he could just go get them to deactivate his account from those ps3's. I'm getting closer to a similar problem, where my young dumbass self shared something back around the time the ps3 came out with a bunch of my friends. Eventually my ps3 shit a brick and i had to get a new one. Couldn't sign into psn, had to get a friend to deactivate my account. Problem is every ps3 my account has been activated on is now dead, besides the one i'm currently using, so if this one craps out i'm pretty much in the same scenario. Don't really know what he can do about it, cuz i always thought sony could deactivate your account somehow. If this happens to me i might just give up on playing ps3.

#12 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

Follow through with it. Give more exposure to this problem. And as a result, more people pissed off at Sony until they finally do something and change it.

#13 Posted by N7 (3677 posts) -

That's odd. But this will hopefully clear things up:

Phone up Sony, tell them that your Playstation Network account has been used the maximum number of times and that you would like them to deactivate all of them. Make up a reason like you tried to download a movie, but you couldn't because it was already activated on another PS3. Then, you have to give them your info and whatnot to verify it's your account(Email address, PSN account and name and all that jazz) and voila. It shouldn't take very long, but the waiting times are a pain. Like seven minutes of being on hold. Don't mention anything else, because then you'll be side-tracking yourself by them handing you off for other people to help you, and then you may lose the helpful person you just had.

I did this a year ago when I was downloading that "God Of War: Unearthing The Legend" video from the God of War III Collectors Edition. My PSN was on my YLOD'd PS3 and I couldn't download any videos. So I gave them a call, told them to deactivate my accounts, and boom, everything works. They can only do this once though.

My friend also went through this process recently since his PS3 got fried during a power-outage. So, if they say there is nothing they can do, try explaining the situation to them, because they can do something.

But, you should probably check what that message says when he tries to connect to the PSN. I've never seen or heard of anything like that. It sounds like the message you get when someone logs into your account like "Someone else has logged into this account from another PS3" or something like that. If it says that, then someone does have his account, multiple people maybe. And it sounds like they would want it too, since he's loaded with DLC.

As far as I know though(As someone who has used the PSN since 2007 and knows my way around just about everything except error codes), there is no message that comes up and tells you that you cannot login because your account has been activated on too many consoles.

Until then, you should tell your brother to get on the Playstation Website and change his password ASAP. Just in case someone indeed has his account, he can lock them out until there is some kind of solution for you guys... So long as they don't know his security question thing. He should also check his downloads list from Qriocity. That covers everything on the store from Comics, Games, VIdeos and anything else that could possibly be downloaded from the Playstation Store. If he sees anything new on there that he hasn't bought recently, then someone is using it to buy games(But that's only if someone DOES have his account and is using it to steal his money).

I know this is a huge wall of text, but I'm trying to cover all ground just in case.

He should also check his trophies from the website, because they cannot be deleted. Unless he didn't sync them to his PSN account. Then they are gone. Forever.

#14 Edited by VicRattlehead (1400 posts) -
@ch13696:  go to www.qriocity.com and log in you can deactivate any playstation your account is on on it
#15 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Another reason to buy a Wii

#16 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
@VicRattlehead said:
" go to www.qriocity.com and log in you can deactivate any playstation your account is on on it "
#17 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@Vodun said:
" @ch13696: Wait, what? So you can only log your account into X number of PS3s? "
I seems crazy but I think this is sorta their answer that parallels recovering gamertags the way you do on MS. Could be totally wrong thought, I'm just guessing.  
@WarlordPayne
said:
" @ch13696: Sony doesn't give a shit about their customers.  If you check the BBB Microsoft's Xbox division has an A+, Nintendo of America has an A+, SCEA has an F.  Microsoft has more than triple the number of complaints filed against them that Sony has and yet Microsoft has a top rank while Sony has the worst.  Microsoft may fuck up but they, apparently, at least try to make amends.  Sony couldn't care less. "
Microsoft can fix just about any legitimate issue they have because they can afford it thanks to the subscription fee associated with XBL. PSN on the other hand only recently got a non-essential subscription service, and is far less populated by profit producing content. This is why I laugh when Playstation fanboys tell me I shouldn't be willing to pay for my online. But I got my red ringed  360 replaced twice free of charge and got a month of live out of it. I had my Live account reclaimed after it had been stolen with several credit cards on it in a matter of minutes. I've never really heard of anyone getting too royally screwed when it comes to problems that should be fixed when it comes to Miscrosoft. I mean there have certainly been cases where that happened, but yeah. They have the money, PSN doesn't, and I can't really blame PSN for that because it was someone above their heads that probably told them they have to figure out a way to make a profit without a sub fee.

@N7: Hopefully you help this guy out, this really sucks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.