You might want to get PlayStation Plus. Now.

• 88 results
#51 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

I think I'll just wait and see. Worst case scenario is that it'll just cost more money, right?

#52 Posted by myketuna (1756 posts) -

@ESREVER: I think I'm going to get PlayStation Plus sometime soon then.

#53 Edited by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

#54 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

I just subscribed last month and I love it.

#55 Posted by MetalBaofu (1440 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

People are making a big deal about free Trine and Rock of Ages, but they are rentals. Simply rentals. Once PSN runs out you cannot access them.

I see that argument all the time, and it is pointless to me. While it is true, it doesn't change the fact that I have access to those games you mentioned, and more, for 4 bucks a month. I don't care that I can't access them when my sub runs out, because I will be done with them by then. And, even if I'm not done with them it doesn't matter because I'll renew the sub, so I can keep getting games every month for 4 bucks.

#56 Posted by MikeFightNight (1117 posts) -

I scoffed at PS plus when it first came out, but getting a year sub a few months ago changed my mind. It's already payed off. I look forward to this E3 news.

#57 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Really  tempting, especially that my PS3 is gathering dust like a motherfucker.

#58 Posted by JTB123 (1044 posts) -

Certainly tempting, been using my PS3 a lot more than usual this past year. Be interesting to see what this revamp entails regarding the service, better download speed would be a good place to start.

#59 Posted by Nilazz (639 posts) -

Going abroad soon but after that PSN+ is the first thing I'm going to buy!

#60 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1894 posts) -

Sony has to monetize their online at some point. Offering it for free for so long has been good for competing with Microsoft, especially for grabbing people who complain about having to pay for using online services on a console, but I have to imagine that it's running at a loss. PSN+ has always ostensibly been that method, but I understand that it doesn't have strong numbers. This could help.

I'm really curious if they will try something similar to their current model on the next gen. There'd be benefits to it, and they'd probably take a hit if they changed to the Microsoft model next gen.

#61 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

How much it cost the 3 Months sub? I'm interested to try it.

#62 Posted by Turambar (6890 posts) -
@laserbolts said:

Man is it wrong that I get irritated when people say they are getting games for free through ps+ when they are paying for ps+?

It is wrong that you're irritated at people paying steam holiday sale prices for games if we want to play the net gain/loss game.
#63 Posted by killacam (1278 posts) -

DONE

#64 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@laserbolts said:

Man is it wrong that I get irritated when people say they are getting games for free through ps+ when they are paying for ps+?

It is wrong that you're irritated at people paying steam holiday sale prices for games if we want to play the net gain/loss game.

What. What are you goin on with?

#65 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

Can i get Playstation Plus though their website. My PS3 is currently inaccessible.

#66 Posted by ESREVER (2698 posts) -

@ESREVER said:

@markini6: I think you can go here: http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/ and choose either the 3 month or 12 month download code. I'm guessing they send you the code right away and you can redeem it under your Sony Entertainment Network account. Oh right, you should be able to redeem it on your vita as well.

I think that should work, I never tried it. But its the only solution I can come up with at the moment.

#67 Edited by Totori (559 posts) -
@AngelN7 said:

How much it cost the 3 Months sub? I'm interested to try it.

18 dollars
#68 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4985 posts) -

And then PS+ subscriptions start climbing up. Just as planned...

#69 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

So 12 free games this month, including inFamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2 and Saints Row 2 will be given for free.

#70 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -

@ESREVER: If you dont have FF7 i am not impressed ;)

#71 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2107 posts) -

$72/year != free.

Way to buy into the marketing bullshit.

#72 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

$72/year != free.

Way to buy into the marketing bullshit.

@FluxWaveZ said:

3 month sub = $17.99

Rock of Ages = $9.99

Trine 2 = $14.99

Awesomenauts = $9.99

Total = $34.97

This doesn't even include all of the other free stuff plus the free games that will be available in the future. Not sure why that's irritating.

It's almost like you commented without reading anything.

And if you mean the new stuff, then I'm sure the math would also equal out to the free games being larger than a value of $72.

#73 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2107 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I read what you wrote perfectly clear. Your talking about these games as if they're free, the bottom line is your paying a fee for the service and the games. You would not have access to these games if you didn't pay. They're not free.

This deal only has value if you planned on buying these games in the first place, in any other way they're just a way to squeeze a little more money from people who just see the number of games compared to their market value and the price of the subscription and think it's a good deal.

If you think it's a good deal that's great, but don't call these games free, it only makes you look naive.

#74 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

Playstation plus is awesome, i've definitely picked up the value of the subscription in free titles and discounts over the last few years.

#75 Posted by VanillaPlant (146 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Unless they changed how free PS+ games work, then you can only play them while your PS+ subscription is active, so its not a completely accurate value proposal.

#76 Posted by SamFo (1562 posts) -

Saints row 2, infamous 2 and LBP2?... meh

#77 Posted by Muerthoz (351 posts) -

So, was there a price increase or no?

#78 Posted by vorpalparasite (305 posts) -

Screw the 3 month sub, the real value* is in the $50/year. I'm looking forward to getting some "free" Infamous 2.

*subject to personal discretion

#79 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Wow I'm glad I didn't jump on that, that just kinda lame. I mean I guess I could pay the 17 bucks to rent Infamous 2 for 3 months... but why?

#80 Posted by Redbullet685 (6084 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Wow I'm glad I didn't jump on that, that just kinda lame. I mean I guess I could pay the 17 bucks to rent Infamous 2 for 3 months... but why?

Yeah, but Trenton said they are going to be rotating games in and out each week. So, what if next week it were something like Uncharted 3 and Portal 2 or something. Sure, the first 3 games announced aren't anything special, but the following weeks may be great. Guess we'll just have to see.

I did subscribe for 3 months again today. Got like $50 worth of games for $18. Good deal to me.

#81 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

PSN+ keeps getting better, maybe I should try it out this summer when I have more time for gaming

#82 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

@MikkaQ said:

Yeah, but Trenton said they are going to be rotating games in and out each week. So, what if next week it were something like Uncharted 3 and Portal 2 or something. Sure, the first 3 games announced aren't anything special, but the following weeks may be great. Guess we'll just have to see.

I did subscribe for 3 months again today. Got like $50 worth of games for $18. Good deal to me.

Yeah those would be neat, but at this point the only PS3 games I want and don't have are some Japanese oddities, so for the most part it'll be things I've already played on other platforms, or just already have for PS3.

#83 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin: I've thought about it and I think when I refer to these games as "free", I'm really doing so when comparing the service to Xbox Live Gold. PS+ offers practically the same that XBL Gold does, I believe, although it also gives out games to their subscribers, so I guess in that context it would be appropriate to say they're free. However, observed by itself, yeah, the games aren't free as you're still paying for the base subscription. Still, it's a matter of semantics as calling them "free" is easier than saying "games that are being given out" when referring to games that subscribers can download for no cost.

@Muerthoz said:

So, was there a price increase or no?

Kinda. Service is now $5 per month.

@MikkaQ said:

It wasn't as epic a deal as I was hoping for, but I definitely don't regret my 3 month sub as that's given me access to a bunch of games as well as several others that are gonna be available this month.

@VanillaPlant said:

@FluxWaveZ: Unless they changed how free PS+ games work, then you can only play them while your PS+ subscription is active, so its not a completely accurate value proposal.

Check the comments in this thread. Apparently, this doesn't apply to every game out there and there are many that you keep after the sub expires.

#84 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Damn shame I'm skipping the PS3 this gen.

#85 Posted by CABBAGES (534 posts) -

I have had ps+ for over a year now but still hardly play it. I do try to check each month and at least get the free stuff but dont download it as i had no space.

But after seeing all the games this month and finding my old laptop in bits and noticing it had 2 250gb 2.5" drives i thought oh why dont i stick it in my original 60gb ps3 !

I started to download all the stuff ive got over the last year and realise now how amazing a deal ps plus is.

Im probably still going to be on my xbox most but if you compare the two its clear which one is much much better value for money.

I usually only buy exclusives on the ps3 but i really think they deserve me to buy the odd multi-platform game on there too.

#86 Posted by Demoskinos (15136 posts) -

@CABBAGES: If your comparing XBL and PS+ that is insane because XBL is a subscription to a service and PS+ is a subscription to a content stream.

#87 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Bought mine this morning. Downloading Space Marine, Infamous and Motorstorm atm.

#88 Posted by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Check the comments in this thread. Apparently, this doesn't apply to every game out there and there are many that you keep after the sub expires.

You're talking about the whole trial games not showing expiry dates? Most likely that's just a bug in the game info page, since the plus restricted part is the unlock key, which isn't accessible to users. These games will probably revert to trials when you leave Plus, and if they don't that's not how Plus is supposed to work and it will probably be corrected by Sony.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.