New Platform: PSNV

Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

Now that the first North American Vita games have appeared in Sony's online store (even though they're only available if you search directly for them) and we've had a chance to see how they'll surface, I've made a new platform page to cover digital releases on the PlayStation Vita. It's "PlayStation Network (Vita)" or "PSNV."

This platform tag is to be used for games that appear in the PlayStation Store, whether they're available at retail or not. So, going forward, games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss will be tagged with both VITA and PSNV. Super Stardust Delta, as a digital-only release, only gets the PSNV designator. We split these platforms in order to help people who may only be interested in seeing what's available for download (in case they hate leaving the house) or, in the opposite case, people who think that entering their credit card into the Internet is a sketchy idea and prefer to buy physical things. Maybe not the worst idea in this specific case, I suppose. I will admit, it's not the most elegant data solution in the world, but it's not without its purpose.

Either way, it doesn't currently show up in the Sony colors in various lists. I'll see if I can get those dudes to correct that in the morning.

(And while I'm on the topic of platforms, IPOD is for click-wheel iPod games, not for iPod Touch games. Those just go under iPhone. Universal iOS apps get tagged as both iPad and iPhone. Cool?)

Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

Now that the first North American Vita games have appeared in Sony's online store (even though they're only available if you search directly for them) and we've had a chance to see how they'll surface, I've made a new platform page to cover digital releases on the PlayStation Vita. It's "PlayStation Network (Vita)" or "PSNV."

This platform tag is to be used for games that appear in the PlayStation Store, whether they're available at retail or not. So, going forward, games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss will be tagged with both VITA and PSNV. Super Stardust Delta, as a digital-only release, only gets the PSNV designator. We split these platforms in order to help people who may only be interested in seeing what's available for download (in case they hate leaving the house) or, in the opposite case, people who think that entering their credit card into the Internet is a sketchy idea and prefer to buy physical things. Maybe not the worst idea in this specific case, I suppose. I will admit, it's not the most elegant data solution in the world, but it's not without its purpose.

Either way, it doesn't currently show up in the Sony colors in various lists. I'll see if I can get those dudes to correct that in the morning.

(And while I'm on the topic of platforms, IPOD is for click-wheel iPod games, not for iPod Touch games. Those just go under iPhone. Universal iOS apps get tagged as both iPad and iPhone. Cool?)

Staff
#2 Posted by EVO (3913 posts) -

Shouldn't it be PSVN?

#3 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

No. It's the PlayStation Network. Not the PlayStation Vita Network.

Staff
#4 Posted by EVO (3913 posts) -

Yeah, I suppose. PSNV just doesn't roll off the tongue.

#5 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Yeah because its still the same store

#6 Edited by dekkadekkadekka (733 posts) -

Doesn't the name change from PSN to SEN affect this?

Wait, no, I'm dumb, the store name is staying the same and only the account name is changing, right?

#7 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -
@dekkadekkadekka said:

Doesn't the name change from PSN to SEN affect this?

Wait, no, I'm dumb, the store name is staying the same and only the account name is changing, right?

Yeah. From what I can recall, the Playstation Network is still the PSN. It's just the accounts that are changing over to Sony Entertainment Network. So the PSN still lives.
#8 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Damn, I really thought this was about the new follow up to the hit PlayStation 3 titled PlayStation 3: New Vegas.

#9 Posted by huntad (1940 posts) -

Hey guys, acronyms.

#10 Posted by Mento (2550 posts) -

Now I just want to play a game called SeaQuest PSNV. Using the touchpad on the back to stroke the dolphin.

This makes sense though, given what you're doing with the other online stores.

#11 Posted by mustachioeugene (510 posts) -

@Mento said:

Now I just want to play a game called SeaQuest PSNV. Using the touchpad on the back to stroke the dolphin.

Tell me more about the dolphin stroking....

#12 Edited by Not_Rage (470 posts) -

@Jeff said:

Yeah I remember once sorting out that platform to remove the iOS games, then doing it again 6 months later when it got filled up again with iOS games. I needs to be done again.

I've spent some time adding iPod games to do database, and since they don't make them anymore, I'm pretty confident that every game released to the iPod has been created and added to that platform. If there was a way to "lock" a platform to prevent games from being added, I think that would help the confusion.

#13 Posted by m1k3 (1330 posts) -

PS-envy. like the cell phone right?

#14 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

videogames

#15 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

@mustachioeugene said:

@Mento said:

whoa now, why don't you take a seat right over there. Just what were you planning to do with this dolphin?

#16 Posted by Ghostiet (5281 posts) -
@Oni

@mustachioeugene said:

@Mento said:

whoa now, why don't you take a seat right over there. Just what were you planning to do with this dolphin?

Stroke it?
#17 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@Oni

@mustachioeugene said:

@Mento said:

Stroke it?

You do realize that's illegal in 13 states, right?

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Thanks for the update Jeff!

#19 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

I may have misunderstood but aren't all Vita games supposed to be released in PSN?

#20 Posted by rmanthorp (3953 posts) -

Confusing shit. However, when the eshop exists why do other digital platforms even try?!

#21 Posted by Ghostiet (5281 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

@Ghostiet said:

@Oni

@mustachioeugene said:

@Mento said:

Stroke it?

Not if they enjoy it, or so I was told.
#22 Posted by Obinice (275 posts) -
@Enigma777

@Ghostiet said:

@Oni

@mustachioeugene said:

@Mento said:

Stroke it?

I live in the UK. Let's do this.
#23 Posted by Sbaitso (535 posts) -

Every time I read PSNV it just makes me think "Penis Envy" in my head.

#24 Posted by Brackynews (4083 posts) -

@Rappelsiini said:

I may have misunderstood but aren't all Vita games supposed to be released in PSN?

Sounds right. In theory there should be more PSNV digital games than VITA boxed games in the database.

It will be interesting to see how the backwards compatibility shakes out with PS1 and PS2 titles. I will be more surprised if it doesn't happen sometime in the next 5 years.

#25 Posted by BelligerentEngine (345 posts) -

@Sbaitso said:

Every time I read PSNV it just makes me think "Penis Envy" in my head.

Oh god what have you done!

#26 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Jeff said:

No. It's the PlayStation Network. Not the PlayStation Vita Network.

But Giant Bomb's existing abbreviations for the PS3 and PSP networks are PS3N and PSPN. Based on this comment, should those not be fixed?
#27 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

Way to necro a thread =( Not that I have any money invested into the Sony ecosystem, but it seems like saying a game comes out on the "PS3N and PSVN" is better than saying it comes out on "PSN but not for the following systems:" like the way games are out for the PS3/Xbox360. You wouldn't say "Halo Reach now out on consoles (except for PS3, Wii, etc. etc.)"

#28 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

K for Kool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.