Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network

Concept »

The online service used on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita.

Is there a reason that Sony doesn't allow PSN ID changes?

JoMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By JoMu

A couple days ago I changed my XBOX Live Gamertag and I wanted to change my PSN ID to match. When I went to look for info on how to do it, all I saw were sites saying that Sony doesn't  let users to change their PSN IDs. The only way to get a new PSN ID is to either create a sub-account or to create a new account and both of those options seem a bit unnecessary just for a new name. Is there an actual reason (technological, legal or otherwise) that Sony doesn't provide a name changing service?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AuthenticM

Probably because their system isn't as flexible as Microsoft's.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By m1k3

as far as i know, Xbox live is one of a few of services that let you change your id, but you still have to pay. blizzard does it also for SC2 but you still need to pay. im not sure, but i think steam is a service that doesn't let you change your name.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @m1k3 said:

as far as i know, Xbox live is one of a few of services that let you change your id, but you still have to pay. blizzard does it also for SC2 but you still need to pay. im not sure, but i think steam is a service that doesn't let you change your name.

But Steam does let you pick your nickname, and you can do that how many times you want to. Which personally i find really annoying, cause some people just change them almost every day, and your left wondering "who the fuck is this moron".
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EVO

Same reason Giant Bomb doesn't allow user name changes: you just can't. 

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#6  Edited By Soap

It is kind of lame that they don't let you. They should add that feature and just charge money for it like the 360 does so people don't spam there name changes.

I've been tempted to start a whole new account just to get away from my PSN name :/

JoMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JoMu
    @EVO said:
    Same reason Giant Bomb doesn't allow user name changes: you just can't. 

Yeah, I was hoping there was a GOOD reason for them not to allow it but "You can't change it because we won't let you." seems to be the only thing I can find. I thought that if somebody had an offensive name, then Sony would make them change it. Why can't they offer that, for a fee, to non-offensive users?
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm guessing because since you can make accounts for free they don't want people changing it all the time.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

It's all part of the very laws and fabrics that form the universe. 
    Don't fight it, just go with the flow. 

...and the original PSN ID you chose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.