Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network

Concept »

The online service used on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita.

PSN Down Until Tuesday for US and UK

• 61 results
    Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Burn1n9m4n
    @psylah said:

" I bought Portal 2 through Amazon, and received it on Thursday, 1 day into the downtime. I purchased it to get the PC steam copy to play, and the PS3 copy as a bonus, but you're required to log into PSN and tie your account to Steam before you can redeem the  PC copy. So I'm stuck not being able to play Portal 2 on my PC as I dearly want to. This sucks. "

So, in other words, you can't play Portal 2 at all?

Edit: Wait..nm forgot that Portal 2 does have SP. NM. Still it sucks that you can't play it on your platform of choice.
    psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By psylah
    @Burn1n9m4n said:
    " @psylah said:

" I bought Portal 2 through Amazon, and received it on Thursday, 1 day into the downtime. I purchased it to get the PC steam copy to play, and the PS3 copy as a bonus, but you're required to log into PSN and tie your account to Steam before you can redeem the  PC copy. So I'm stuck not being able to play Portal 2 on my PC as I dearly want to. This sucks. "

So, in other words, you can't play Portal 2 at all?

Edit: Wait..nm forgot that Portal 2 does have SP. NM. Still it sucks that you can't play it on your platform of choice.
    "

Well, you're still partially right. Me and a friend online had planned on playing through co-op together (using ventrilo). Those plans are on indefinite hold as of now.
    Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Burn1n9m4n
    @dudeglove: Jerry Holkins's news post that went along with that comic was pretty awesome too!
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Deeveeus

What has me concerned is the credit card I'm dumb enough to have posted in there....

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By p_p_o_d

so people on GAF are talking like sony might finally make a proper statement about exactly what went down and if Personal info was leaked and a ETA on PSN returning today.

that just bullshit?  wait and see I guess.  sony haven't made there daily update yet so I guess there is a chance.   they really need to let people know if CC info was got at or not because some people are freaking out.   better just let people know one way or the other if they even know.    
    swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By swfcfan

While the PSN being down isnt the end of the world, and I understand that Sony need to make everything secure (again) we are now into the sixth day of this farce and their is still no ETA on when PSN will be back up!

I think most people will not mind too much if the store has to stay down for a few weeks so long as Sony can get multiplayer severs back up and running before the weekend (at the latest!!!).
    thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By thenexus

With Sony now saying it will be down indefinitely and it could be days, weeks even months before it returns as the "rebuild the infrastructure" they are very much putting the blame on the network being hacked.

For me this raises some big and interesting questions as well as some real random thoughts and rumours that are likely to be total rubbish but I have seen some of these echoed around the web as well.

IF the network did get hacked it clearly is worse then Sony is letting on then. To what degree we are likely to never know unless the hackers oust what they did.
    A hacker finds an flaw in the system and exploits it, that is what they do and IF they indeed hacked the Playstation network for Sony then to take it down for this long or longer it must have been a pretty big and ingrained flaw in the system if it requires it or a big part of it to need to be rebuilt. If this is the case you may also likely to see software updates for your PS3 too.

On that, IF it was a hack then what if any data is comprimised? Sony has hinted to this so they best tell Us what that is, do we need to change personal details, credit card information etc?

Now, you noticed I have said "IF" a lot. One thing with Hackers and why most of the time they either get caught or at least know to some degree to the world is that part of what they do is all about the attention, the fame and glory for what they have done. You at least find out the group name or hacker name they go by in regards to what has happened.
    I hardly know of many cases of semi to large hacking attempts that either has not been had a group indicated or for them to have not proudly boasted their accomplishments.

Anonymous Have come out and said all their Sony related attack works to date but very clear stated it was NOT them this time. They said it may be a fringe group that has gone off and done this off their own back but again no one has come out and said anything.
    It is like a terroist attack, the smaller groups very much want their name out there in the media and the limelight so they very much say when they have done something. So I have to take what Sony is saying with a pinch of salt for the time being.
    Because of recent events I feel Sony could be using it as an excuse to hide something worse or their issues and their faults.

To that end:

If  it was not hackers who have caused this what could be going on?

From around the web and my personal opinions and thoughts I can see a few lines of thought on this.
    The Playstation Network has certainly got better over the years and Sony defiantly offers a better online experience then Nintendo but just as Nintendo Sony has never really clicked with online services. It has never been quite there and they do not seem to fully "Get it". With that the Playstation Network has not been a smooth affair and there is quite long list of problems, downtime and mucked up role out of patches and things like Home that have not gone out well for Sony.
    There has been a few very much NON hacking related issues with the Network recently as well if you recall.
    So that leads to is this just another failing on Sony's part? I think this is actually more of a possibility then you may think, as mentioned I am surprised if someone has pulled of a huge hack for them not to be making a big song and dance about it. Fame and Glory for a hacker is the whole idea, they need that glory thrill. So what has Sony done if they have screwed up?

If Sony has screwed up?
    If Sony is to blame here they have f***ed up pretty bad. What could it be? An update or change that has gone drastically bad or an update that has revealed serious problems they have to now address which requires a long downtime of the network.
    One thing that could be to blame for this is all their planed paid services and planned expansions of this and a more uniform system to try and keep up with Xbox Live. Sony will have not done this on purpose of course, any downtime will look bad for them even it is not their fault but there has to be that doubt that it could be their fault. I am drawn more to this conclusion every day. Of course this is massively just assumptions but you can see how this has some legs to it and could very well be likely.
    To take something down means something that it did or had is now not  safe or would have caused harm to the users or their systems, Something could have bricked all our PS3's or compromised our data. Its pretty Major.

It is hard to think on what lines the Network has issues as Sony has given little to nothing aware here other then to issue blame firmly aware from themselves but I just am increasingly getting the feeling it could NOT be hackers and Sony's screw up and it certainly wont be the first, second or third time Sony has made a bit of a balls up in regard to their Playstation brand.

Sony make great games and great machines. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, the PSP was a GREAT machine but it never quite filled that handheld hole outside of Japan, overpriced etc But outside of all that they really have stumbled through over the years. Their marketing especially over the PS1 is second to none, but even that has floundered over recent years. Sony has stumbled its way for bad press, wrong timing, Bad press for its 1st party games be it bad launch windows, delays, false claims.... The Playstation Networks list of failings and them not quit getting online play and being slow to offer what we all expect are musts...And so on. When you put that all on paper as it were, include the amount of times PS3 patches have caused problems etc and then look at this current downtime again there is certainly a good case to actually Blame Sony and it for actually to be their fault.

Even if it was a hacker or hacker team:

So let's say it was a hacker or a group of people. As mentioned a hacker finds a flaw and exploits it. For it to cause Sony to pull the network themselves the hack in itself has not taken the system down But revealed something that is Really very compromising or bad.
    It is really one of two things:

1. The hack has opened up the door for hackers to gain access/control or take down playstation consoles in the network or offer some form of hack access to what normally requires paid access to digital media such as online games.

2.The hack has compromised personal data such as credit card information. If this is the case it very worrying Sony has not told its customers properly what is going on.

again though this "hack" is all about exploiting a flaw in the system so at the root of it Sony is to blame here in any case. You can thank and blame a hacker if this is indeed true as the cause of it but they explited a flaq and that flaw was created by Sony in the first place. For it do be taken it down as it is that has to be a pretty big Flaw and so a pretty big f*** up by Sony to have tat flaw in the first place.

Sony and the gaming community:

Firstly this part I am not saying Sony do not listen at all or do not care at all about their gamers, to some degree they do BUT in saying that the blow opinion from me, for me holds a lot of water.

Nintendo do not quite get the online experience, we know that but what they do have is that the know gamers, they listen, create exciting and different ways to play games and offer gamers great gaming experiences. If you ignore their online stuff they listen to gamers, enjoy their gamers and offer great things.

Microsoft in a lot of their fields do not seem to quite listen to their users as much as they should. In recent times they have improved massively and seem to finally understand in some respect that we are important and what we say matters. Things like their new windows mobile OS proves they are finally "Getting it". BUT

The Team Microsoft put together for Xbox and Xbox live went into a new field for Microsoft and Listened, and while they have learnt lessons as they have gone on they have listened. What they have created with their gaming console and services is something to be enjoyed and Xbox live while to get the most out of it you pay for it it is very much WORTH PAYING FOR!
    Updates and changes always feel they listen to feedback.

Sony:
    I never really feel Sony properly listen to us, They are one of those companies who feel they know best and often in their own little bubble. Even their new tablets while offering some great concepts and ideas do not seem to be the same direction as other companies and as often the case with Sony it is never quite what the world is expecting or wanting.
    Now do not get me wrong here, when Sony make a hardware product more often then not that product is SOUND! it will be top notch, it lasts, its well built and good quality. The PSP for the most part is a great product and the PSP2 looks freaking awesome! BUT is that the right product? We all know and can all see it is probably going to be overly priced and games for being mobile are going to cost to much and it not sell well outside of Japan. Unless Sony surprise is all and take a huge hit on costs when you have Nintendo and DS/Gameboy it is very hard to get that penetration. Xbox has not even bothered to even try to compete there still.

Sony and Nintendo may not the "throw away" gaming app concept that exists in the mobile world today but it works and makes money and works for the consumer. So what the game was only 10 minutes of messing about and you only play it now and again and even if it SUCKED big time. It was ONLY 3 bucks or less so you never feel too fussed. It is like buying a bad burger from a fast food place. CRAP but you only lost a few bucks so you soon forget about it and move on.
    It very well may be bad for gaming, I actually kind of agree on that but all the other tick boxes these games fill they work for me, they work for you because they are making money and a big hit. They control bad, you smear your fingers all over touch screens for controls which is not always a good idea but they still work at the end of the day, lol.

Sony is strange, on one had they hate this and working on the PSP2 But then they seem to realise that while they hate it the current mobile model is working and makes money and feels our needy void of mobile gaming. They have created this Android based Sony platform for gaming that will go alongside their normal gaming model, basically even competing with it and likely to even Best it. They could harm their own PSP2 sales and margins with their own competing product.
    I can see Simpler Sony titles and games selling better on this Andorid based platform on mobile phones, android tablets and with their 2 screen tablet as an example offer at least a variable gaming option on the throw away mobile app modal. This could be a winner for them! BUT they are shooting themselves in the foot complaining about it but then also following suit and then trying to burn the mobile market wick at both ends.

All very strange when you think about it. Not necessarily bad for business if it all works but again it shows Sony and the Playstation side of things not always sure whats going on or willing to take the gambles Nintendo and Xbox have or put the focus on one thing. I never get the feeling Sony go off and think about things off their own back, they always seem to look at what everyone else does and cover the basis and often not succeeding But because they are a huge company even when they take huge losses and harms the company they can still bounce back due to their sheer size. Now and again they hit the market with a killer product but again that seems more past then present though, their media formats have normally come second.
    While I preferred HD-DVD I was actually happy to see Sony finally win on that one. I do feel sorry for Sony, I like the company, I have lots of Sony stuff, I never doubt the quality but I hope you get what I mean by how Sony is often Reactive, they cover both sides, they never go out on a limb as such, they watch what everyone else does and just does their own take on it and their own take on it often involves stick a lot of technology into it. Sony has always been about making it the biggest technological thing but it not always works.

No one can argue that you could point out on Sony products a lot of things that the product does while totally Awesome! we actually do not give a rats ass is there or hardly use it or for it to really matter.

With that and the gaming side of things Sony just do not seem to full listen to gamers. They seem to get that there is a hole or issue or need but then again with the background covered above they seem to wait and se what other people do then do their own take OR They half listen and go off and do their own thing which aint what were actually really wanting.
    Home - Covers a lot of things we want for our online experience and while again its all very cool, looks great etc it aint what we all thinking is the solution. A well polished gaming experience where you go online, get the information you want in a nice way, interact with other gamers in a simple but nice fashion and for you be able to jump right into games, updates, shopping etc - Home is not that. It does it but Sony again go off to their labs, take in a peace of paper of what the community wants and locks the door till they are about finished. They then look for feedback on what that thing is not what it should be.

Finally:

In either case here be it Sony's fault full stop or hackers at the end of the day this is Sony's fault and again Sony talking with its community has been appalling and not for the first time. IF you read all this, thanks for the time, hope it gave some food for thought. With this latest Issue I think there is just a lot more into this and for Sony as a company to take a hard long look at itself and for us to really press them further and their practises.

Some of this is my take on things I know but Sony as a company is not blameless here and I think as a company as a whole has Bigger issues in recent times and if they were not the business powerhouse they are they would have fallen over as a company many times over already.
    Lots of higher up position shuffling, Business changes, department shuffles and closures etc all indicate a not very Stable company and in a lot of areas and ways if Sony do not change their ways and start listening and move away from the whole Technology will solve all problems concept they have they will eventually run out of money.
    swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By swfcfan

If I belived in  industrial espionage conspiracies I would be reminded of this rumour.

Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Burn1n9m4n
    @thenexus: 
    It would seem that you believe (or at the very least are leaning toward) the notion that Sony brought down their own system and passed it off as a hack in an attempt to implement system wide changes, and that the 'hacking group' is a fabrication meant to keep everyone off balance and stall for time while they implement said changes. 

First lets me make this very clear up front. This entire series of posts are speculation. Pure simple speculation. The only bits of evidence we have are what Sony has said to the media. Now since the hacking group has not come forward to take responsibility or credit there is only one source where this news is coming from. Now while I would love to drink the Kool-Aid and board the conspiracy express you're forgetting the most important goal for a corporation: To make money for their investors. 

Sony doesn't just have employees and a CEO to pay off. Kaz Hirai has investors in his company that will demand dividends on their investments. Therefore there are quite a few glaring flaws with the idea that Sony brought down their own network. First, if this was the case and Sony did want to implement changes to their system and knew that it would take a long time before the work could be completed they could have stated they were shutting the network down for upgrade reasons. There wouldn't have been all this need for subterfuge. Secondly, the amount of money that Sony has lost as a result of PSN being down, whether through advertising, endorsements, or developer/publisher interests, has got to be a staggering figure which is going up every day that the network is offline. Lastly, if Sony was going to pull this they would have chosen a much better week for it...like say two weeks ago when nothing was out. They wouldn't have chosen a week with 3 big releases (SOCOM 4, MK, and Portal 2) as well as a week with a major holiday/long weekend. Not to mention that Easter this year in the US also fell at the same time that most schools and universities were on spring break. So I find the idea that Sony orchestrated their own network's shutdown in order to facilitate some massive system-wide change to be ridiculous and, frankly, absurd. 

Also its also possible that the 'hackers' that did this are not in it for glory. Maybe their just as greedy as the rest of us and were in it for the money or maybe they were using Rebug to re-enable their blocked PS3 machines so that they could play CoD. I can think of several far more plausible reasons for why the network is down than some far fetched conspiracy theory. However, if there is one thing that your long post has highlighted, which coincides with what I said earlier, Sony is doing a very terrible job with their PR here. They need to release some more details so that poor Patrick Seybold has something more to say other than " Unfortunately, I don't have an update or timeframe to share at this point in time." If they just said that their investigation is on-going then maybe I would be able to be satisfied with that answer. But they aren't even saying anything, which to me is the most infuriating part of the story. But hey what do I know? I've been too busy lately to touch my PS3. Plus I've been waiting for my copy of MK to come in so that I have something new to play as I've exhausted (both the offline and online components) of all the other games I own.
    thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By thenexus

@Burn1n9m4n said:
    " @thenexus: 

It would seem that you believe (or at the very least are leaning toward) the notion that Sony brought down their own system and passed it off as a hack in an attempt to implement system wide changes, and that the 'hacking group' is a fabrication meant to keep everyone off balance and stall for time while they implement said changes.

Hey there,
    Sony did bring down their network. This is fact, be it due to an internal issue or outside source, no outside source took it down, they took it down due to what they say was a hacking attempt. With that in mind If it was not a hack then what could it be, but yeah the above is kind of what I was discussing.

First lets me make this very clear up front. This entire series of posts are speculation. Pure simple speculation. The only bits of evidence we have are what Sony has said to the media. Now since the hacking group has not come forward to take responsibility or credit there is only one source where this news is coming from. Now while I would love to drink the Kool-Aid and board the conspiracy express you're forgetting the most important goal for a corporation: To make money for their investors.

Too Right, I stated a few times that this is just thoughts and their are echos of what I discussed around the web - Of course there will be, But yep, Agree and stated it is speculation.
    Your again right that all we have is Sony's information which is minimum at best. They never bothered giving updates for a few days which is bizzare, you have to agree.
    I am not forgetting making money, Sony having to shut down their network effects 7-8 million world wide and WILL cost them money, I have no doubt on that and why what ever the issue is, its BIG. Hack or no hack its BIG.

Sony doesn't just have employees and a CEO to pay off. Kaz Hirai has investors in his company that will demand dividends on their investments. Therefore there are quite a few glaring flaws with the idea that Sony brought down their own network. First, if this was the case and Sony did want to implement changes to their system and knew that it would take a long time before the work could be completed they could have stated they were shutting the network down for upgrade reasons. There wouldn't have been all this need for subterfuge. Secondly, the amount of money that Sony has lost as a result of PSN being down, whether through advertising, endorsements, or developer/publisher interests, has got to be a staggering figure which is going up every day that the network is offline. Lastly, if Sony was going to pull this they would have chosen a much better week for it...like say two weeks ago when nothing was out. They wouldn't have chosen a week with 3 big releases (SOCOM 4, MK, and Portal 2) as well as a week with a major holiday/long weekend. Not to mention that Easter this year in the US also fell at the same time that most schools and universities were on spring break. So I find the idea that Sony orchestrated their own network's shutdown in order to facilitate some massive system-wide change to be ridiculous and, frankly, absurd.

Your totally right here, Taking down a network on what for most is a Holiday Easter Break and as you mention with new big games out to fix a minor niggle or something would be hugely STUPID! But as I said, if there is a BIG Flaw which has come to light which is a mind numbing f*** up and needs fixing ASAP it would look bad press if they did do the standard take down note and do so. You have to agree IF this was the case then it would be very very bad for them and because they have had links with Hackers recently it is very easy to blame them. With no Hackers admitting to this yet - which is surprising then you have to consider this. I never said this is the case but you have to look at both sides of the coin and there is SOME reason to consider this. To just assume either case is correct be it hack or no hack would be wrong.

With you putting what I said into a hard "Sony orchestrated shutdown" is very untrue and I am disapointed that what I was trying to put across came off in that way. I read my post again and did not get that myself.

Also its also possible that the 'hackers' that did this are not in it for glory. Maybe their just as greedy as the rest of us and were in it for the money or maybe they were using Rebug to re-enable their blocked PS3 machines so that they could play CoD. I can think of several far more plausible reasons for why the network is down than some far fetched conspiracy theory. However, if there is one thing that your long post has highlighted, which coincides with what I said earlier, Sony is doing a very terrible job with their PR here. They need to release some more details so that poor Patrick Seybold has something more to say other than " Unfortunately, I don't have an update or timeframe to share at this point in time." If they just said that their investigation is on-going then maybe I would be able to be satisfied with that answer. But they aren't even saying anything, which to me is the most infuriating part of the story. But hey what do I know? I've been too busy lately to touch my PS3. Plus I've been waiting for my copy of MK to come in so that I have something new to play as I've exhausted (both the offline and online components) of all the other games I own.
    "

What does a hacker get out of a hack if it is not for the Glory?
    I covered this as well. IF they are in it for the money then they have taken credit card details etc and if that is the case Sony need to be telling people!
    The other reasons for hackers is indeed the Glory, Be it to show up a system or company, make another one more prevalent as a result or even just a chip on their shoulder. In all of these types of cases though the Glory is a big part of it and I have not seen no one not claim any major hack attack in the last 10 years. Even false claims by groups for doing something people still want to claim it for the Glory.
    This is not the case here and this would be one of the bigger hacks in the last few years so again - You have to question and wonder and that is all I did, I just put it in writing and there will be lots of people out there wondering similiar things.
    I respect what your saying, I agree please do not take me thinking it was not a hack as gospel, I did not just say SONY ARE BAD!!! and rant away, I covered the elements as to what normally is the case. This is certanly a unique situation.
    On that though you seem to forget that this is not the first time the Network has died and gone down and gone down at prime times etc. The Sony network has gone down for a day, few days before. Never for this long true but it has. So has Xbox live.
    BUT... In those cases there has been bigger information and information on those failings etc. As you said Sony would not take the network down as you seem to think I indicated, I agree with you there but this again is not what has happened before. There is something else going on.
    We may not know, but even if it was a hack and personal detail is at risk any attack of this nature the users and public have been told about this ASAP. We need or may want to take action to protect ourselves and Sony not saying hardly anything is very disturbing.

Your again right about the information and lack of, it probably is the biggest issue. You have to admit no matter what Sony has not been great dealing with this situation, what ever it is. And recently they have not been doing well and have made themselves look bad. They were warned by the courts in the US over the Hacker news telling them he ran off the country etc. His Lawyer made them aware of his holiday before he went!

Now, Again - Love sony products, I only bought a new Head unit for my car as a JVC due to the spec and price Easter discount on it over the Sony one which looked dam good. I have a PS3 too.

All I am saying is we can not ignroe that something really got messed up By Sony here and no hackers involved. This could indeed be a possibility.
    AND
    Even if they were hacked hackers find flaws in the system and IF this is the case this flaw was big enough for Sony to take down the network at a peak time for a long period of time. This means that this flaw is HUGE! and means that the network was built badly on some level to have this HUGE flaw. I am a web developer so what ever this is It's would be a big one.

But then as I mentioned if this is a big issue causing the network to go down you then have to think why no one has come about this before? It could be the case that the cracking open of the PS3 recently has meant that this and other flaws are now visible to hackers. I actually consider this to be a large possibility but then Sony would have to be aware that some of their system would only be protected by this master key rather then being robust enough in its own right. That again would be on Sony's Shoulders and blame.

What I am trying to say is what ever has happened Issues at Sony and problems at Sony and flaws in their system are at the heart of this - so again these and more questions need to be had.

Thanks for the time to read my post, I agree with what you say but please do not take me the wrong way here. I am saying what others are thinking and considering some of the angles here.
    thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By thenexus

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/sony-provides-psn-update-confirms-a-compromise-of-personal-inf/

This is where I say - Great, now we have a bit more information

- IT Looks defiantly like an attack
    - Our Date and credit card information "MAY have been compromised"

This now leads us down the path of:

- Hackers exploiting a flaw in the Playstation Network. Bad and not on but there was a flaw in the Network to exploit which is not good.
    - Sony has been Terrible with information, Our credit card details could be at risk and they take a a number of days to tell us. NOT GOOD SONY! Hackers could have done a lot with that information in just a day let alone several.

This is not good and Sony being very quite about all this is appalling. Yes you have to find out the issue, how it was done and then work on how to fix it but when its personal data you do not muck about in terms of not informing people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.