Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network

Concept »

The online service used on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita.

PSN/SOE accounts hacked again. 93,000 Accounts Accessed

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I vaguely recall someone else making a thread about this but I am unable to find it.  (If someone else can find it please link it here) 

Well it seems SOE and PSN have been hacked. Sony claims 93,000 PSN/SOE accounts where accessed. Course they also claim no credit info is "At risk" 

This has been a real real REAL bad year for Sony hasn't it?  It seems said accounts have just been frozen and can be turned back on via a password reset.  

I have not used my PS3 in near a year so I wonder how messed up my account is. Luckily it is tied to a much older credit card I canceled  long ago.  

Thoughts on all this? Or has it gotten to the point we just shrug it off and ignore it?  

If your account was effected you should be getting an email on how to reset the pass word. Sony pointed out that the source of the compromised login stuff came from outside Sony's Network 

Source=http://www.gametrailers.com/news/93-000-psn-soe-accounts-accessed/3963

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kashif1

For the record Sony was not directly hacked, someone else was hacked and the user names and passwords from there where tried on psn. Its easy to avoid if you don't use the same password for everything, unfortunately I do.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @N7 said:

Wrong and wrong.

Sony was not hacked and this entire issue has already been handled.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/11/an-important-message-from-sonys-chief-information-security-officer/

@kashif1 said:

For the record Sony was not directly hacked, someone else was hacked and the user names and passwords from there where tried on psn. Its easy to avoid if you don't use the same password for everything, unfortunately I do.

Wow then Gametrailers really needs to brush up on their reporting. They make it kinda sound like it was a hacking attempt.  

Sorry for the missleading title. 
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By N7

@The_Laughing_Man: If you ever want to get information about the PS3, especially as important as this was, always check the Playstation Blog.

And don't worry. Joystiq did that too. They posted a crazy misleading(Fear-mongering) headline that made the whole thing seem like a Doomsday scenario for Sony.

What these people did to Sony here, was the same thing that happened a little while ago to Microsoft.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

I'd be willing to bet that this specific type of "hacking" happens all the time but suddenly it's newsworthy after the PSN got compromised earlier this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.