Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Now

Concept »

Sony's game streaming service for PS4 and PC.

Beta is up and running

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I have to say the Beta is impressive...since it does work. Played two games so far, and I was mildly impressed with service in terms of speed, playablity, and overall feel/navigation/etc. At this point Sony gets a "we will see" from me, once we know more at e3 about pricing, terms, etc than I can decided if what they plan will be feasible as a wider experience for everyone. If your internet is good/stable, and you like PS3 games it could be well worth it.

This sort of thing is always about library I would say, people want the games they want and that will be what really matters. In my estimation, prices and how it works is a close second, but what you can play matters as a critical selling point. You can't tell what will be offered in a beta.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Seppli

How many games are on it right now? Didn't they say they'll start off with over a hundred titles?

Anyways, I hope they'll try and host the full library of PS1 & PS2 & PS3 titles. I mean, that's the full potential of the internet, in regards to copy 'n' paste media. The all-encompassing library. There's quite a few games I'd like to revisit, or play for the first time.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

@seppli: You do realize that there's licensing issues with that right? They have to talk to each publisher about each individual game and whether it can be on the service and how the price cuts go... it's more complicated than it seems. I just hope every Sony published game makes it on the service.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it's currently running just for US folks?

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Solh0und

I've been in the beta for a couple of weeks now. Any clue when the games rotate out?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli

@corruptedevil said:

@seppli: You do realize that there's licensing issues with that right? They have to talk to each publisher about each individual game and whether it can be on the service and how the price cuts go... it's more complicated than it seems. I just hope every Sony published game makes it on the service.

I get that. I just hope that's what they're targeting. And I'm sure if the whole streaming business is set-up smartly, with a low barrier of entry for rights-holders to monetize their stuff on PS Now, they'll get lots of content for sure. A Spotify for Playstation catalogue games (and hopefully even more, like contemporary indies), if you will.

I'm more concerned about the technical aspects - if it's even feasible to have a nigh limitless library of games on offer. If the gameplay holds up despite latency. The only hinderance on the business side is how easy Sony makes it for their partners to participate on the platform, and how generous the deal is. That, and getting a global infrastructure up and running.

The business only needs to be too good to pass up on, and the dream of an all-encompassing digital libarary of Playstation platform games will come true. So I hope that's how Sony's businessmen and corporate lawyers will set this whole thing up.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@seppli: I hope so. The spotty catalog of the PS1/PS2 Classics program (which, you'd think, would have been similarly low-effort to get games listed on) doesn't give me the greatest optimism, though. Maybe this'll be different?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: I hope so. The spotty catalog of the PS1/PS2 Classics program (which, you'd think, would have been similarly low-effort to get games listed on) doesn't give me the greatest optimism, though. Maybe this'll be different?

It certainly is a different Sony, and looking at how smartly the new guys in charge handled everything concerning the PS4 thus far, I am optimistic that PS Now will turn into something exciting for both the consumers and the industry.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By mrfluke

@solh0und: @monkeyking1969: question for both you folks if you dont mind answering, there's been some unconfirmed reports that if you own the digital version of a game, you can access it for free on ps now? or something of that sorts where if you own the digital version your good?

like someone cited that tales from space blob game as one they had like free access to. because they downloaded it already.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke: I'm trying to figure that out myself since I own two of the games that is currently in the library. In theory, that feature would be awesome since I'm iffy of having 10+ GB games on my hard drive.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

So then can you give us your reaction to how the games' playability holds up with possible latency?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By spraynardtatum

Pricing is key here. This needs to be affordable for everyone.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I am still curious about the tablet and smart phone streaming mentioned in previous presentations. I guess that's all wait and see.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Solh0und

@hurricaneivan29: From what I've played thus far, it's been fine on my connection and my internet speed is not the fastest nor is it god-awful.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solh0und: when you say fine is it in the realm of "i.. i think it's there, but not sure," oh "it's there not affecting my gameplay," or "It's affecting gameplay a bit but It's not really bothering me."

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hurricaneivan29: It hasn't been affecting the gameplay or the way it looks at all which is pretty impressive.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#17 riostarwind  Moderator

They've certainly done a better job with PS Now than I was expecting. Lets just hope it maintains the quality it has now when they launch it.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How do you get access to the beta?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@mrfluke said:

@solh0und: @monkeyking1969: question for both you folks if you don't mind answering, there's been some unconfirmed reports that if you own the digital version of a game, you can access it for free on ps now? or something of that sorts where if you own the digital version your good?

like someone cited that tales from space blob game as one they had like free access to. because they downloaded it already.

I don't own any of the games (20 PS3 games so far) so I cannot answer this question. I can tell you that all things now are listed as 'free'...but that implies after that everything has a nominal cost perhaps. I can say that while listed as fee, games do have a choice of - 1 day, 1 week or 1 month of time...again that implies rental for a nominal fee. Someone could...err wildly speculate...that having PS+ might apply some discount. But, I have said (or really just inferred from very little data) a lot thus take none of this as set in stone or great analysis.

Sony will tell us all the facts at e3 in a few weeks.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you get access to the beta?

Sign up and hope they pick you. It looks like there adding people based on where they live and where they have servers set up to test the latency.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Marz

used it for a little bit, played some of Catherine and it seems fine, still a little latency in the controls but works well enough. also got access to the ps4 version of "now" but i don't have a ps4 to try it but i'd assume it's pretty much the same as the ps3 version.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@solh0und said:

@hurricaneivan29: From what I've played thus far, it's been fine on my connection and my internet speed is not the fastest nor is it god-awful.

Can we get some hard numbers? Like your max download speed, what bitrate it's pulling while you play, how much each game is? That'd be really awesome if you have that info :)

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: I'm on a average broadband connection(18MBPS download/5MBPS upload)here. As for bitrate and prices,I'm not sure and there's no prices listed as of right now.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.