August games a bust

• 63 results
#1 Posted by EightBitShik (1334 posts) -

What happened! June was fucking amazing and then July was "Meh" and now all we got was Episode 1 and 2 of The Walking Dead.... now I know this sounds very first world problem but man I am super sad by it... it's like June was to trick people to sign up and then they said "OH fuck...that was a little too good." I've been signed up since Jan and I have been happy with the random shit I got every month except for this month and last month was a bust too (Only because I owned all three of those tittles) but I still said "It's cool if I didn't this month would be decent"

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

That is true but..... The walking dead is really fucking good

#3 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

Sounds like a "you" problem, man.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10910 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

That is true but..... The walking dead is really fucking good

I agree with this man, and I've only played the first episode.

#5 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

I agree I'm a little bummed as well, but only because I already bought the walking dead on steam. I do really like the discounts on new PSN games though. Knocking a few bucks off Dyad and Sound Shapes was pretty cool.

#6 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Still good. Here in 360 land however...

#7 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

Still good. Here in 360 land however...

Hey you can get Tomb Raider DLC for cheaper!!!

#8 Edited by ProfessorEss (7323 posts) -

@EightBitShik said:

...then they said "OH fuck...that was a little too good."

To be fair, it kinda was a little too good.

I honestly didn't expect the deals to last beyond that first crazy month.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

Stuff like this is why ultimately to me PSN+ is a waste. Sure, you get free games but your at the mercy of Sony to pick good shit that you want to actually play and don't already own.

#10 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

This is the best month since E3, because I already had all of those other games and not these ones, so it all works out for me.

#11 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Stuff like this is why ultimately to me PSN+ is a waste. Sure, you get free games but your at the mercy of Sony to pick good shit that you want to actually play and don't already own.

A lot of what they have put out is a great deal, but as you said, assuming you haven't played it yet. The majority of the games offered free thus far had been things I cared enough about to play when they first appeared. Maybe if you're the type to only game in fits and starts, it's a better deal.

#12 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3201 posts) -

First world problems.

#13 Posted by EightBitShik (1334 posts) -

Yeah, I don't think I made that clear in my first post sorry. June was not amazing, it was beyond that too good to be true, like holy fuck are they desperate or did some kid taking over the company and was like here you go people... I guess that is kind of my point too though, was June was so great that they are like "Boom next six months hit them low" and then "Hit them high again" if that is the case I rather it just be how it was where every month I was like "Yeah this was worth the monthly cost =D

#14 Posted by EightBitShik (1334 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: Yeah, my GF likes it but I am not into puzzle games at all. I am just sad this month I can't say "Walking Dead (Bad ass for others)" but "Let me play this other game" It's kind of the first month where I just felt "Meh"

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@Demoskinos said:

A lot of what they have put out is a great deal, but as you said, assuming you haven't played it yet. The majority of the games offered free thus far had been things I cared enough about to play when they first appeared. Maybe if you're the type to only game in fits and starts, it's a better deal.

I can REALLY see the value if say... you are a broke-ass college student. You pay $50 and are guaranteed to have something new to play all year long. In a situation like that I could see this being a fucking god send.

#16 Posted by wemibelec90 (1627 posts) -

Plus is definitely one of those things that can pay off but might not, depending on the games they put up. I signed up in June with most people and really liked what they offered. Last month, I had it all. Offering the Walking Dead episodes to people is great but I've already played that on the PC. Kinda sucks but that's how it goes.

#17 Posted by BlackLagoon (1408 posts) -

You're not going to get super amazing games every month, that's simply the nature of the deal. Sony ultimately has to pay for these games, and undoubtedly they have to shell out more for popular/new ones, which means there will be some slimmer months to compensate. Try to not get caught up in disappointment when the pickings are slim and loose sight of the fact that there will be good months again, and it will average out to great value for money over time.

(That said, Walking Dead is a great title, and as an EU Pluser I'd rather had it than Dead Space 2.)

#18 Posted by NovaDTH (155 posts) -

We're getting 2 more games next week

#19 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

This free games aren't good enough!

#20 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

Which free games? The ones you're paying for with your monthly subscription?

#21 Posted by Ashwyn (202 posts) -

In the uk we got Dead Space 2 and rock of ages but i would of prefered to get the Walking Dead.. Just depends on what you've played i guess.

#22 Posted by yoshisaur (2701 posts) -

Does a hand-held console really need a new "hot" release every month? In order for the damn thing to please everyone, a game of every type would have to be released monthly in order to appease it's fans. I think some people need to give the Vita a little rest and find some more entertainment elsewhere.

#23 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -
@EightBitShik

@Sackmanjones: Yeah, my GF likes it but I am not into puzzle games at all. I am just sad this month I can't say "Walking Dead (Bad ass for others)" but "Let me play this other game" It's kind of the first month where I just felt "Meh"

Honestly it's not really a puzzle game. It's more of an interactive tale they tell....... Ya I did it

But I'd give it a shot first. Play the first episode it's only like 2 hours and see how you like it
#24 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

apparently the instant games collection is going to be updated august 14th, or new games announced, or something. point is, more is coming.

#25 Posted by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

The actual instant game collection update is next week, the walking dead games are just a bonus. And they are pretty sweet anyway.

#26 Posted by deox (210 posts) -

Well, It's definitely not a bust for people who haven't played The Walking Dead yet. I would say it's a fantastic deal for them, it's a great game. Also, I'm pretty sure they are planning on add more free games to PS+ before the end of the month, so...

#27 Posted by PenguinDust (12493 posts) -

I haven't played Walking Dead yet, so this is right up my alley. I have practically no interest in zombie fiction normally, but I've heard so many positives about this series that I am intrigued. Considering my lack of free time these days, this is the only way I'd consider playing the game.

#28 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@BrockNRolla

@AngelN7 said:

You also lose access to them all if your subscription runs out.
#29 Posted by mosespippy (4117 posts) -

I've only played about 20% of the PS+ games that I've downloaded so I'm not going to complain about an off month. I barely downloaded any of the instant collection either just because I don't have the time to play them OR the hard drive space to store them. And Hot Shots 2 was also out this week. I'm more excited to play that since it doesn't have zombies and isn't associated with Gary Whitta.

#30 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@BrockNRolla

@AngelN7 said:

Yes you're paying to use the games service but you're not paying for the games people still argue about semantics about this? geez they're not free then because nothing is free we should stop using that word.

#31 Posted by 49th (2731 posts) -

I would actually rather have those than Dead Space 2 on the EU PS+ which I already own.

#32 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

A huge part of PS plus for me is the auto patches, background downloading, and other small infrastructure stuff that it provides.

#33 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@CL60 said:

@BrockNRolla

@AngelN7 said:

Yes you're paying to use the games service but you're not paying for the games people still argue about semantics about this? geez they're not free then because nothing is free we should stop using that word.

They aren't free. It isn't a matter of semantics. That's like saying the movies on Netflix are free because you're paying for the service, not the movies. What do you think PS+ subscribers are paying for? The privilege of calling themselves "subscribers?" It's a service you pay for. The services you receive are things like discounts and games. That's a real money transaction. There was nothing "free."

I'm guessing you just made a flippant comment without thinking about what you were saying, but don't try to defend nonsense.

#34 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Someone will always find a way to complain. Always.

#35 Posted by TheHT (11145 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@AngelN7 said:

@CL60 said:

@BrockNRolla

@AngelN7 said:

They aren't free. It isn't a matter of semantics. That's like saying the movies on Netflix are free because you're paying for the service, not the movies. What do you think PS+ subscribers are paying for? The privilege of calling themselves "subscribers?" It's a service you pay for. The services you receive are things like discounts and games. That's a real money transaction. There was nothing "free."

I'm guessing you just made a flippant comment without thinking about what you were saying, but don't try to defend nonsense.

You're paying for a service that provides you with deals on products in the Playstation Store, including discounts of 10% off or 100% off (free).

#36 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1683 posts) -

A lull happens sometimes! Go use your discount and pick up Sound Shapes, it's awesome!

I got a year subscription to the service around June for only $30, and it's been totally worth it so far (for me) between the discounts on new PSN games and the games they've been providing to play for free that I hadn't gotten a chance to yet (Gotham City Impostors, VF5 Final Showdown, plus that gaggle of games around E3, and a decent amount of PS1 classics).

#37 Edited by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@AngelN7 said:

@CL60 said:

@BrockNRolla

@AngelN7 said:

The Playstation+ service didn't start as a "get games" service at first it offered discounts on DLC and games , plus access to early betas and demos , so yes you're paying for the service not the games , the FREE games are a new feature of the service it's sematics you may disagree with me but I'm not stating any nonsense , chill out overly aggressive internet guy.

#38 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@AngelN7 said:

@CL60 said:

@BrockNRolla

@AngelN7 said:

You're paying for a service that provides you with deals on products in the Playstation Store, including discounts of 10% off or 100% off (free).

Now, those are semantics. Well done.

#39 Posted by Raven10 (1765 posts) -

Assuming they update the Instant Collection next week then I think it will be a fine month. I still have a ton of games to play from previous months and The Walking Dead is supposed to be really good, so it could have been worse.

#40 Posted by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -

@EightBitShik: They are adding 2 new games next week. Your panties can now be un-bunched.

@BrockNRolla said:

@AngelN7 said:

And I hate when people say this. Sure they aren't exactly free, but PS+ is a much better service than Xbox Live Gold. You pay $50 a year to play dozens of games that would've cost hundreds if you bought them all separately. What do you get with Xbox Live Gold? You pay $60 to be able to play online and use Netflix and Hulu and everything else that's free on PSN.

You may not like PS+, but its at least a better service than Xbox Live Gold.

#41 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@AngelN7 said:

@CL60 said:

@BrockNRolla

@AngelN7 said:

The Playstation+ service didn't start as a "get games" service at first it offered discounts on DLC and games , plus access to early betas and demos , so yes you're paying for the service not the games , the FREE games are a new feature of the service it's sematics you may disagree with me but I'm not stating any nonsense , chill out overly aggressive internet guy.

I'm not aggressive, merely attempting to combat ignorance with logic. This is clearly going nowhere as this conversation isn't even related to semantics, so I'm going to step away. I have faith that wiser minds will not be led astray by your post. To get back to the actual topic, if people are upset about the games being offered to them through the service they pay for, they have every right to complain.

#42 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

@EightBitShik: They are adding 2 new games next week. Your panties can now be un-bunched.

@BrockNRolla said:

@AngelN7 said:

And I hate when people say this. Sure they aren't exactly free, but PS+ is a much better service than Xbox Live Gold. You pay $50 a year to play dozens of games that would've cost hundreds if you bought them all separately. What do you get with Xbox Live Gold? You pay $60 to be able to play online and use Netflix and Hulu and everything else that's free on PSN.

You may not like PS+, but its at least a better service than Xbox Live Gold.

I couldn't agree with you more. Xbox Live is a huge ripoff in comparison to what you receive with a PS+ subscription.

I am merely combating the notion that these games are free. This isn't to say they aren't a great deal, but only to suggest that people should be free to complain if these games aren't good since this is a paid service and not some kind of charity being provided by Sony.

#43 Posted by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -

@BrockNRolla: Alright I gotcha. Been on Xbox Live Gold for the past 6 years and am not renewing (I may renew for 2 months for $2, but no more). Microsoft better do better by the consumers with the next Xbox, because if its still gonna be $60 to play online and watch Netflix, then I'm fucking skipping the next Xbox and just getting the next PlayStation.

#44 Posted by TheHT (11145 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@TheHT said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@AngelN7 said:

@CL60 said:

@BrockNRolla

@AngelN7 said:

Now, those are semantics. Well done.

Well technically it's all semantics. The specific concern being with "free" and "service".

If you pay for a 'service' that includes undisclosed products that are to be made 'free', are they really free given that you've paid for the serivce. You would think if you paid for a service then every single boon from that would have been purchased. But considering a product from that service going from discounted at 10% to 100%, a change occuring within the service, would that product then qualify as 'free' considering before this change it still had to be purchased at an additional albeit discounted price, even though this is all happening within the benefits of the paid-for service?

#45 Posted by MetalBaofu (1374 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

I am merely combating the notion that these games are free.

Yeah...they aren't "free." I pay a whole 4 dollars a month to be able to play whatever is available plus any past stuff I downloaded. When I refer to them as "free." I simply mean I can go on there and DL them without an immediate charge for that specific game. I paid the 50 bucks months ago. Since then I have played Trine 2, Rock of Ages, Gotham City Imposters, Pac-Man CE DX, Awesomenauts, Just Cause 2, and whatever all the others are(can't remember off the top of my head). As far as I'm concerned, everything from now on might as well be called "free." I've downloaded and played far more than 50 bucks worth of games. Again, I agree that they aren't "free." Rentals, like with Netflix, is what they are, but I just don't get why people care so much that they have to point that out every time someone talks about the new "free" games for the month. It's just not that big of a deal in any way.

A bit more on topic, I'm completely fine with August so far. I had been planning on buying The Walking Dead anyway, and now I can just buy the remaining episodes as they come out for 5 bucks a piece, and save 5 bucks overall on it. And, as someone else mentioned, we still don't know what the mid-month update will be.

#46 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@TheHT: Yes. If you are paying for a discount, regardless of how big or small that discount becomes, it does not make something free because you have already paid for it. "Free" is used as an advertising buzzword, just like "complimentary." It isn't like Starbucks actually offers "free wifi" as you agree that you're a paying customer before you use it. Even the peanuts and soda on a plane are not "free" as refreshments are advertised as a service along with the ticket (And I guarantee they've figured the cost of that food into your ticket). Sony advertises access to games as a result of paying for their service, and while they might want you to think of them as "free," they are only "free" assuming you are a paying customer.

If Sony did not advertise this as a benefit of the service, I think there might be an argument to be made for them being a free. If Microsoft sent me a game in the mail tomorrow and said, "Hey! Thanks for being such a loyal customer!" I would first be baffled and surprised, and then come to the conclusion they had given me something for free. If they then added this to their site and said, "Xbox subscribers will occasionally receive free games when they subscribe to Xbox Live," I would no longer think of these games as free, but rather, a benefit of the service I am paying for.

So for me it comes down to the fact that Sony advertises this as part of the service you pay them for. Even if they don't identify the specific games you'll be getting, they say you'll be getting them, and it is therefore part of the incentive of paying them for the service. If you receive an advertised benefit from a subscription you pay for, that benefit isn't free because you paid for it.

#47 Edited by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@AngelN7 said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@AngelN7 said:

@CL60 said:

@BrockNRolla

@AngelN7 said:

I'm not aggressive, merely attempting to combat ignorance with logic. This is clearly going nowhere as this conversation isn't even related to semantics, so I'm going to step away. I have faith that wiser minds will not be led astray by your post. To get back to the actual topic, if people are upset about the games being offered to them through the service they pay for, they have every right to complain.

If you care all that much about being "right" or me spreading missinformation then coplain to Sony they're the ones using the "Get This game for FREE if you're a PS+ subscriber" not me, If you're paying for the service then of course nothing you get out of that service is free unless they add new features to the service that weren't part of the original offer without increasing the price of the service then you could argue that you're getting something for "free", no one is spreading missinformation here and no one is getting "tricked" by this, the OP may not want those games because he has them or he doesn't like them but a lot of people don't and the offer wasn't about "pick every game you want" you should know the details (terms of service) of what you're getting into before start paying for a service and even before start complaining about it.

#48 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@MetalBaofu said:

@BrockNRolla said:

I am merely combating the notion that these games are free.

Yeah...they aren't "free." I pay a whole 4 dollars a month to be able to play whatever is available plus any past stuff I downloaded. When I refer to them as "free." I simply mean I can go on there and DL them without an immediate charge for that specific game. I paid the 50 bucks months ago. Since then I have played Trine 2, Rock of Ages, Gotham City Imposters, Pac-Man CE DX, Awesomenauts, Just Cause 2, and whatever all the others are(can't remember off the top of my head). As far as I'm concerned, everything from now on might as well be called "free." I've downloaded and played far more than 50 bucks worth of games. Again, I agree that they aren't "free." Rentals, like with Netflix, is what they are, but I just don't get why people care so much that they have to point that out every time someone talks about the new "free" games for the month. It's just not that big of a deal in any way.

A bit more on topic, I'm completely fine with August so far. I had been planning on buying The Walking Dead anyway, and now I can just buy the remaining episodes as they come out for 5 bucks a piece, and save 5 bucks overall on it. And, as someone else mentioned, we still don't know what the mid-month update will be.

As I said to , I'm not saying PS+ isn't a great deal. I think it is a great deal, and I think Microsoft should be worried about how it makes people think about Xbox Live. Besides the 360 dashboard, the seemingly valueless, or at least extremely overvalued, the Xbox Live subscription is the number one reason I'm leaning towards Sony for the next generation. Sony is providing a huge value with their PS+ subscriptions, but they aren't providing it for "free." It is something Sony advertises, and something users pay for.

Much in the same way many have expressed their dissatisfaction with the content on offer at Netflix in the last six months, so too may people express their dissatisfaction if Sony starts offering weaker and weaker games every month. Both are paid services, and while they are both an incredible value, both are also paid services, and paying customers have a right to complain. Saying things are "free" takes away the power of the customer, and that's wrong; hence my challenge to calling these games "free." I think consumers should feel empowered when it comes to such subscriptions, not like someone is doing them a favor, so I think it is important to make the distinction.

#49 Posted by MetalBaofu (1374 posts) -

@BrockNRolla: I never said anything about people not having the right to complain if they don't think what is offered is good enough. Of course, they can do that. If what is offered falls below people's expectations, then they can complain and/or cancel their subscription. Calling the games "free" doesn't make them unable to do that. Basically, I agree with everything you have been saying, except on the importance of making the distinction of them not being "free." People know you only get them if you pay money for PS plus, and I feel Sony has always been clear on that fact. As I said, when I've called them free before, I just mean that I can go on there and DL them without any additional charges.

#50 Posted by TheHT (11145 posts) -

@BrockNRolla: Then free in the context that Sony uses it, or Microsoft in your hypothetical, means something different than totally free. Where the latter is completely without any cost, the former is specifically to say "no additional cost" with an emphasis on "additional", which implies a separate cost that's required to get whatever at that "no additional cost".

So is there a different word or phrase they need to use to reflect the difference? Or is this merely another accepted meaning of free regardless, after decades of use?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.