PlayStation Plus in October (NA) | NFL Blitz, KoF XIII

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

I thought it'd be a good idea to have one general thread for everything involving PS+ in North America monthly, so here's one for October:

New Free Games

Available Free Retail Games

Available Free PSN Games

Discounts

Early Access

PlayStation Plus official blog

As usual, there's a bunch of free themes and stuff as well. Only thing that interests me out of the free games that we know of this month is King of Fighters XIII. Also got the discounted Tokyo Jungle with the associated free DLC. If there was more I would want, I'd be able to take advantage of that "Spend $100 on PSN, get $20 back" deal.

#2 Posted by Dawglet (313 posts) -

I spent the entire week contemplating whether or not I should buy KOFXIII on PSN until I finally just caved in and bought it yesterday.

FUCK.

wutevs though, it's cool that this kind of stuff is getting put on plus.

#3 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

Still pretty lame compared to the free games on the euro psn

#4 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6172 posts) -

Just bought King of Fighters XI since it has a shitload of characters and I can't perceive any real difference between KoF games; but guess I'll be playing the new one as well? Hurray.

#5 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I bought King Of Fighters for like £5 at the beginning of the year in the huge GAME Firesale, still not touched.

#6 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

Pretty weak. Hopefully November brings in the Vita goodness!

#7 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1093 posts) -

KOFXIII sweet.

#8 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

I was looking to get KOFXIII recently so this works out great.

#9 Posted by Yadilie (379 posts) -

For those coming from Street Fighter 4, you're going to be in a world of hurt. SF4 lets you shortcut so hard and KoF13 is going to slap you in the face each time you try to do that. 1 frame links everywhere. Precise timing. It is a balls to the wall hard fighting game. I still prefer UM '98.

#10 Posted by web966 (87 posts) -

PS+ is so great, especially when compared to Xbox Live Gold.

#11 Posted by psylah (2187 posts) -

Oh shit, I always wanted to try a KoF game.

The new Blitz is beyond me, though. I played alot of the original Blitz, but I have retained nothing that helps me play the new one.

#12 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

I'm not big into fighting games that aren't Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. I've never played a KoF game before but I'll give it a shot. Honestly I would have rather had RE5.

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

It's good stuff, I've never played KoF but I love NFL Blitz.

#14 Posted by TheFakePsychic (202 posts) -

I really liked Garou: Mark of the Wolves , so I'm definitely interested in KOFXIII.

I wasn't as keen on just NFL Blitz when they first announced the free stuff, but I'm glad there's... something else, at least.

#15 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ free Tokyo jungle DLC? Got the discount but didn't know about dlc
#16 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@wmaustin55: Yeah. A bunch of free animals such as the "fat cat" and a black and white Pomeranian. There's also some equipment like Sony cat mascot backpacks.

#17 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

Shit! I hope us Euros get KOF free! Although we have been spoilt recently it seems...

#18 Posted by mosespippy (4475 posts) -

No free PS1 games this month? Nothing else in this month's offers appeal to me right now. I could go for a classic that I've never played.

#19 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

Getting KoF is really awesome, I'm glad that more people will get a chance to try what is one of the best fighting games out right now

#20 Posted by FLStyle (4927 posts) -
#21 Posted by HadesTimes (827 posts) -

King of Fighters is an awesome get. But don't we get any discount on Retro City Rampage or Joe Danger 2? Lame...

#22 Posted by laserbolts (5372 posts) -

Man this beats the shit out of gold. Fucking Microsoft.

#23 Edited by Snail (8663 posts) -

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Outland, Sidway New York, Renegade Ops...

If this was the European line-up maybe I'd finally give-in.

#24 Posted by BlackLagoon (1462 posts) -

@Snail: EU Plus already had Outland and Renegade Ops, so I'm afraid you're too late for those. Wouldn't be surprised if Ratchet & Clank turns up at one point though.

#25 Posted by Tebbit (4486 posts) -

Hell Yeah is free on PS+ Europe.

Ca-ching!

#26 Posted by SargeGulp (240 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

My favourite match of EVO 2012:

Or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKuOcCuJ0rc for the full match

Watching that with Sword & Sworcery EP soundtrack playing in the background(accidentally) was fantastic.

#27 Posted by BisonHero (7080 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

No free PS1 games this month? Nothing else in this month's offers appeal to me right now. I could go for a classic that I've never played.

PS+ in North America is pretty stingy about giving out free PS1 games, by which I mean "I haven't seen a single free PS1 game since signing up in June". Granted, I haven't done any research into past offerings, but since I signed up, PS+ has basically been the handful of PS3 disc games that they announced at E3 (the first four listed in this thread, and they haven't added any recently) and then basically a rotation of PSN games of varying quality levels.

#28 Posted by BlackLagoon (1462 posts) -

@BisonHero: PSOne titles pretty much disappeared after the E3 relaunch. In EU they've said they're still open to including them, if they can get a top tier title, but that the focus will be PS3 titles since that's what most subscribers want.

#29 Posted by mosespippy (4475 posts) -

@BisonHero: I signed up in March of last year and let my account lapse in August. I had all the PS1 Resident Evils, Crash Bandicoots, Spyros, Silent Hill 1, MediEvil, Final Fantasy V, and others. I didn't even bother getting some like the Syphon Filter games since I knew I wouldn't play them. Now that my brother in law has signed up but gone to sea I need to keep an eye on the store for him so the lack of PS1 games was odd to me.

#30 Posted by Solh0und (1856 posts) -

I think KoF Xlll makes up for the lackluster full releases we have been getting. I might consider also subbing to the EU one too.

#31 Posted by Snail (8663 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@Snail: EU Plus already had Outland and Renegade Ops, so I'm afraid you're too late for those. Wouldn't be surprised if Ratchet & Clank turns up at one point though.

Well that's it then. Guess I'm never getting this thing.

#32 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Just to note: KoF XIII DLC is also discounted with the game itself being free.

#33 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1093 posts) -

I think Warhammer 40k Space Marine has expired from the north american PS+. I cant seem to get it free anymore.

#34 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Bunch of new stuff:

• Dead Space 2 (Regular: $13.99 | Discounted: $9.79)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection: Content Pack (Regular: $10.49 | Discounted: $7.34)
  • Dead Rising 2 Off The Record (Regular: $13.99 | Discounted: $9.79)
  • Plants vs. Zombies PS Vita (Regular: $10.49 | Discounted: $7.34)
  • Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City (Regular: $34.99 | Discounted: $24.49)
  • Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (Regular: $5.59 | Discounted: $3.91)
  • The House of the Dead Bundle (Regular: $21.99 | Discounted: $15.39)
  • Zen Pinball 2 PS Vita Monsters Bundle (The Paranormal, Sorcerer’s Lair and Plants vs. Zombies) (Regular: $5.99 | Discounted: $4.19)
  • AMY (Regular: $4.99 | Discounted: $2.50)
  • Costume Quest complete bundle (Regular: $7.49 | Discounted: $3.75)
  • Dead Nation (Regular: $7.49 | Discounted: $3.75)
  • Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime (Regular: $2.49 | Discounted: $1.25)
  • inFAMOUS Festival of Blood (Regular: $4.99 | Discounted: $2.50)
#36 Posted by csl316 (9526 posts) -

Everyone should buy Festival of Blood now.

#37 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

@csl316: Festival of blood is great. At that price I'll probably pick up dead nation as well

#38 Edited by awesomeusername (4221 posts) -

The free games this month besides Payday are meh to me. I bought The Unfinished Swan but $15 is too much for that game. Not to say it's bad because it's a great game but it's really short. I disliked the PS All Stars beta. I bought Dead Rising 2: Off The Record because why not? It's less then $10. I spent over $100 this month so I'll be getting my $20 next month. Too bad there's no good PSN games out next month though. I'll probably spend that credit towards a PSN game or two.

#39 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Essentially nothing new this week:

Still, I don't think it's been a bad month.

#40 Posted by TheAdmin (715 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Man this beats the shit out of gold. Fucking Microsoft.

Seriously. But we get multiplayer and Netflix... oh wait. If this is the type of offerings going into the next consoles... I'm switching to PS.

#41 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Gross! Free games for November will be announced next week.

#42 Posted by Solh0und (1856 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Eh. I heard One Piece Pirate warriors was decent though.
#43 Edited by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: @Solh0und: The Monster World games are pretty good too. $1 for one is an insane deal.

#44 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44: Hm, might get it just out of curiosity, though I've seen the Quick Look so I'm aware of what it is. Might get Super Monkey Ball too since I've never played a game in that series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.