Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

Are PSP's Worth The Cash?

hughesie27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hughesie27

Looking at buying one second hand from CEX games or Gamestation. Differences between between PSP and Lite version? It looks great game wise. A portable PS2. Does anybody have one?
    What is the online play like, do you need to know peoples codes that you want to play against or is it more like XBL?
    Lastly is it pretty easy to put music, pictures, videos onto it. Bluetooth?
    Basically anything you can tell me I want to know. Ta.
    Ps. Not really interested in a DS as I'm more interested in games like ISS and ''adult games''

kratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kratos

I'm not sure on how to answer some of that stuff but all and all it's worth it the lineup is better than most say and there's been rumblings of a universal PSN through the PS3 and PSP which would include PSP trophy's, but that's still a rumor.

Tridrakious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Tridrakious

I say get one. Why miss out on God of War: Chains of Olympus, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Patapon, LocoRoco, Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow and Dark Mirror, Daxter, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions, WipeOut Pure and Pulse, Lumines, Lumines II, Final Fantasy 1 and 2. Plus look at the future games like Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Star Ocean: The First Departure, Star Ocean: The Second Evolution, Phantasy Star Portable, LocoRoco 2, Patapon 2, Ridge Racer 2, etc.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Homer

PSPs are defintly worth the cash. I love my PSP.

Draugrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Draugrim

The dealbreaker on whether or not to buy a PSP is if you spend a lot of time in transit, on the train or bus or in a cab, or just sitting around doing nothing while away from your home. If you do, then it's a great purchase you'll have fun you'll use it a lot, but if you don't spend a lot of time alone and away from home then you might not use it and it wouldn't be worth the cash.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By sarahsdad
    Draugrim said:
    "The dealbreaker on whether or not to buy a PSP is if you spend a lot of time in transit, on the train or bus or in a cab, or just sitting around doing nothing while away from your home. If you do, then it's a great purchase you'll have fun you'll use it a lot, but if you don't spend a lot of time alone and away from home then you might not use it and it wouldn't be worth the cash.
    "
    True. Long hours+PSP = thank god.
    I spend about three hours a day going to and from work, and the PSP has been excellent. Not only are the games good, but I have a 4 gig stick that holds plenty of movies and music to keep me occupied if I'm not in the mood to play.
    Prons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Prons

If you go a lot of places, end up waiting for buses a lot, etc. etc.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Stevokenevo

can anyone describe the process/ how easy it is to watch videos off memory sticks on the psp?  i spend alot of time in transit and am interested in getting a psp.  I also never find time to watch tv and movies anymore but probably would on the bus.

I would be interested in the games but i see my self using it more for 'other' media reasons.  So my over riding question, relevant to this topic is....Would you recommend i get one? 

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By keyhunter

The PSP is cool if you have one that is modded, or have 1.5 firmware. Other than that they are pretty useless.  There's very little in terms of retail software to keep you busey with the thing unless you've filled it with emulators and cool user created applications like the texas instruments graphic calculator. Which is all of course illegal. But yeah, the most fun thing about the PSP isn't the games, it's the homebrew. As a portable media player it's pretty bad as its maximum space is 4-8 gigs, and you could get a cheaper portable media player with 80 gigs like a Zune or something that won't change songs in your pocket every time you take a step. 

But yeah, if you do manage to get a 1.5 firmware PSP and a large enough memory stick, it's really handy for school and work, assuming a lot of your activities are on the PC.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    keyhunter said:
    "The PSP is cool if you have one that is modded, or have 1.5 firmware. Other than that they are pretty useless.  There's very little in terms of retail software to keep you busey with the thing unless you've filled it with emulators and cool user created applications like the texas instruments graphic calculator. Which is all of course illegal. But yeah, the most fun thing about the PSP isn't the games, it's the homebrew. As a portable media player it's pretty bad as its maximum space is 4-8 gigs, and you could get a cheaper portable media player with 80 gigs like a Zune or something that won't change songs in your pocket every time you take a step. 

But yeah, if you do manage to get a 1.5 firmware PSP and a large enough memory stick, it's really handy for school and work, assuming a lot of your activities are on the PC."
    I agree 100% with keyhunter here. While I don't publicly endorse some of the illegal happenings behind custom firmware, I think a PSP-2000 with 1.5 or 5.00 M33 firmware is the only thing making me keep my PSP.
    roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By roofy

i just got one and i really like it.

make sure you dont buy a PSP 3000 or even a newer PSP 2000's because they have the motherboard that cannot run cusom firmware. there are some really good homebrew apps that were made.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Discorsi

Two words C***** F******* and that's the only way it is worth it.  It' not that good of a MP3 player, the all around media features are average at best, and most of titles are lackluster portable versions of their console brethren.  If you do get one I would recommend God of War, Disgaea(if you're into that kind of thing),  FF tactics, either one of the mega man games, and that's about it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
    keyhunter said:
    "The PSP is cool if you have one that is modded, or have 1.5 firmware. Other than that they are pretty useless.  There's very little in terms of retail software to keep you busey with the thing unless you've filled it with emulators and cool user created applications like the texas instruments graphic calculator. Which is all of course illegal. But yeah, the most fun thing about the PSP isn't the games, it's the homebrew. As a portable media player it's pretty bad as its maximum space is 4-8 gigs, and you could get a cheaper portable media player with 80 gigs like a Zune or something that won't change songs in your pocket every time you take a step. 

But yeah, if you do manage to get a 1.5 firmware PSP and a large enough memory stick, it's really handy for school and work, assuming a lot of your activities are on the PC."
    There is a huge backlog of games to play for the PSP, plus plenty of promising upcoming titles.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By keyhunter

No.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
    keyhunter said:
    "No."
    Don't back up your argument or anything. Just support the fallacy with a simple blanket statement. That's skill right there.
    chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By chronicsmoke

yes defintly,pretty good media features and it has a pretty good library also

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stevokenevo

how easy is it to watch videos?  as i have completely stopped watching tv.....could anyone expect it to be a half decent replacement?

im sure i would like the games.  even if i just have to sink myself into puzzle quest for awhile.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Emilio

They're worth the cash if you like its features and games.

See what I did there? Me neither.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_
    Stevokenevo said:
    "how easy is it to watch videos?  as i have completely stopped watching tv.....could anyone expect it to be a half decent replacement?

im sure i would like the games.  even if i just have to sink myself into puzzle quest for awhile."
    It's pretty easy to watch videos. Sometimes you have to convert it (with a free video converter, I think it's called PSPVideo9 or something). The screen is good and shit looks fine. Sound is decent, better with headphones.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By get2sammyb

I bought one from ebay for about £40 ($80?). I bought it mainly for train journeys and what with videos and the odd game here and there it's kept me occupied thus far.

alexrubens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By alexrubens
    Homer said:
    "PSPs are defintly worth the cash. I love my PSP."
    True dat
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Stevokenevo

im looking into it.  one more noob question that isnt all that relevant.  i know the psp's are region free but does that include firmware updates also?  i mean, if i imported one from japan say....would it still be fine to receive european firmware?

get2sammyb said:

"I bought one from ebay for about £40 ($80?). I bought it mainly for train journeys and what with videos and the odd game here and there it's kept me occupied thus far."
    its all about the poundage sterling!!  although i read in the paper (i know shit-hot eh?) that the pound is down to an alltime low..... like $1.68 to the £1 or something lame.  so it is more like $65-70.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.