Buying a PSP: Any general usage tips and tricks?

#1 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -

I'm buying a PSP Slim or phat (hopefully slim if I can find it) and I am curious if there is anything I should know about using the system or any weird things like that.  I've done my research on what games I wish to play; I just want to find out any quirks or neat tricks the system itself has.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by ttocs (761 posts) -

You want me advice?  But the phat.  The PSP Go is more expensive and has no slot for UMD's.  So that means if you go to Gamestop and see an old game for really cheap, you can't get it.  You'll have to fork out the MSRP on the PSN to get it.  That was my major annoyance.  Plus, it costs more to buy a smaller screen.  Sure, it has 16 gigs, but you can buy removable storage for the phat. 

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@ttocs said:
" You want me advice?  But the phat.  The PSP Go is more expensive and has no slot for UMD's.  So that means if you go to Gamestop and see an old game for really cheap, you can't get it.  You'll have to fork out the MSRP on the PSN to get it.  That was my major annoyance.  Plus, it costs more to buy a smaller screen.  Sure, it has 16 gigs, but you can buy removable storage for the phat.  "
Get the Metal gear solid bundle! Its green! 
#4 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Attach a screen protector. Get a high capacity memory stick. If your games have an install option, use it. Attach a screen protector. Decent headphones/earbuds would serve you well as the sound output from the thing itself is pathetic by comparison. The battery kind of sucks, try to get a spare for cheap if you can. Oh, and attach a screen protector.
#5 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Seems like a weird time to pick a PSP up with the recent revalation of new handheld technology at E3, but if you're going to pick one up, just know that the battery isn't going to last you a particularly long time and you'll probably want to get a case for it. that screen gets scratched particularly easy. There's little difference between the non-go models, so just get whichever you can get cheapest. And while there are certainly some worthwhile games for it, you aren't going to struggle finding space for the ones there are. I own 12 games for it, and the games I own for it are all great, but there isn't a lot beyond what I've got that's really worth it, especially when you factor out games available elsewhere.

#6 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" Seems like a weird time to pick a PSP up with the recent revalation of new handheld technology at E3
I must have missed this during Sony's conference could you give me some info, or are you talking about the 3DS?
#7 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" @AgentJ said:
" Seems like a weird time to pick a PSP up with the recent revalation of new handheld technology at E3
I must have missed this during Sony's conference could you give me some info, or are you talking about the 3DS? "
Yeah, the 3DS. I was honestly shocked that a PSP2 wasn't announced.
#8 Posted by FakePlasticTree (449 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @AgentJ said:
I must have missed this during Sony's conference could you give me some info, or are you talking about the 3DS? "
Yeah, the 3DS. I was honestly shocked that a PSP2 wasn't announced. "
I thought they would announce a new handheld as well. They might be waiting for TGS though, as the PSP is certainly more popular in Japan than anywhere else in the world. 
#9 Edited by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -
@AgentJ said:

" Seems like a weird time to pick a PSP up with the recent revalation of new handheld technology at E3, but if you're going to pick one up, just know that the battery isn't going to last you a particularly long time and you'll probably want to get a case for it. that screen gets scratched particularly easy. There's little difference between the non-go models, so just get whichever you can get cheapest. And while there are certainly some worthwhile games for it, you aren't going to struggle finding space for the ones there are. I own 12 games for it, and the games I own for it are all great, but there isn't a lot beyond what I've got that's really worth it, especially when you factor out games available elsewhere.   "

I"m still skeptical on the 3DS.  Not that it's going to not work or something but I already own a DS and it just doesn't have the type of games I like to play.  Sure there are a few games on there I like but I've been disappointed with most every game I've played on DS (I know, I'm weird), which is why I did some heavy research into PSP games (and played a few on my friend's psp) and it's more my type of gaming style.   After playing some of the games and reading many many reviews from sites and/or reviewers I trust, I have a list of 37 games I wish to play, not counting anything that is set for release later this year (3rd Birthday, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, etc.).

I do know the battery doesn't last terribly long but I'm never really in a setting where I'm not near a wall outlet.  I normally play portable systems at home, strange enough, but I'm at the fiancée's apartment a whole lot and I don't really feel like dragging my 360 and PC monitor over there every weekend (I'm not living there yet) so a hand held system fits perfectly.

Oh and I did make my PSP purchase this past Tuesday.  I called around and found Play n' Trade selling me their store PSP Slim 2000 (silver) with a replaced disc laser, a case and a 1 gig memory stick for $100 bucks.  Not bad considering the slim everywhere else is 20 bucks more not counting the 1 gig stick and the case.  Personally, I feel I came away with a good deal.

TL;DR:  I don't really like the DS, played and like a bunch of PSP games.  I'm always near a power outlet.  I bought a PSP Slim with replaced disc laser for $100 with a 1 gig stick and a case.
#10 Posted by Chris2KLee (2328 posts) -

Definitely get a slim, as the GO still remains iffy with same day releases. I'm still rocking my PSP-1000, but if I were to upgrade I'd get a Slim. My friend has a PSP2000 and an extended battery pack, and while it gives the system a bit of a bump on the back, the power increase is great. Memory sticks are pretty cheap now too, so if you want to use the PSN for games that option is available. That $100 deals sounds pretty good.

#11 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

Go for a slim. And protect that screen!

I have a gash on mine and it's small but still a bit of a nuisance none the less.

#12 Posted by BlackIrish05 (348 posts) -

In all seriousness, don't buy a PSP.

#13 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -
@Chris2KLee said:
"That $100 deals sounds pretty good. "
Yeah I feel no regrets.  I get paid tomorrow so it's time to hit the gamestop and the clearance aisles for some games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.