Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection or Persona 3 Portable?

Cpt_Skooma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cpt_Skooma

First I want to say that I do know that there's a similarly titled forum discussion, but it didn't provide satisfactory answers, so I decided to create my own.

I'm going to be stuck on a plane from about 12 hours next week. I found out that I would like to, among other things , delve into an RPG. FF IV: TCC and P3P were the to best looking choices. I've read numerous review about both, but I can still not choose. I've not played any other game in either of those two franchises (well, except FF VII), so you could say that I'll be delving into a completely new experience. A fan of JRPGs, am I not, but I guess if it's a really good one...

Final Fantasy (FF) is a series I've not really played many of the games of, but I've heard (and read) that the fourth one is really, really good. A masterpiece. But my biggest worry is that I'll get stuck, don't know where I'm going to go next. Which is what happened to me in Final Fantasy VII. Unfortunately.

(FYI: I will be playing on my Vita.)

So, I only ask for this: Which game and why?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Probably Persona 3, since at least it isn't The After Years. Fuck that game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I've only played the first two or three hours of Persona 3 and it felt a lot like dating sim combined with a dungeon crawler. It's not, but I would recommend looking into some videos of it on Youtube before delving into that game.

I've never played Final Fantasy IV but I don't really see it being that much different from FFVI, which I have played and I liked VI a lot. So, my very uninformed opinion would tell me to go with Final Fantasy.

Or you could buy both.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I played Final Fantasy IV on the GBA and love that game wholeheartedly, and from what I've heard the PSP version is an even better version of that game.

On the other hand, I've heard P3P is a gimped version of P3, since a lot of it takes place in that weird 2D hub world or whatever, and you don't see all of those animations that were in the PS2 version.

So if I had this choice, I'd pick up FFIV for PSP, and P3: FEZ for PS2.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@Cpt_Skooma said:

A fan of JRPGs, am I not, but I guess if it's a really good one...

FF IV was made before JRPGs were complete shit, so don't hold that label against it. It is indeed a masterpiece, though I've never played any of the remakes (It's still Final Fantasy II as far as I'm concerned, I have the SNES cartridge to prove it) so I can't speak to their quality. Complete Collection is the one with the hi-res sprites and no voice acting, right? That's the one to get, not the polygonal one with the voice acting.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Hunter5024

Final Fantasy 4 is still kind of old school, so your problem of not knowing where to go next is pretty valid, also you will have to grind a lot. Idk who told you it was a masterpiece, but it's not. Pretty good, but it's not even the best Final Fantasy and there are several entries I'd recommend over this one, Hell you could download 5, 6, 8, 9, or Tactics on PSN and play those on your psp and that would only cost 10 bucks apiece.

Persona 3 on the other hand is very straight forward, and you will never have a problem figuring out where to go next, and as someone whose not a fan of RPGs, I think this one is different in enough ways that it might still interest you. It's one of my favorite games of all time though so I am a little biased.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@Hunter5024 said:

Final Fantasy 4 is still kind of old school, so your problem of not knowing where to go next is pretty valid, also you will have to grind a lot.

Neither of these things is true. If anything, FF IV is the most linear game in the series, not counting XIII.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Final Fantasy 4 is still kind of old school, so your problem of not knowing where to go next is pretty valid, also you will have to grind a lot.

Neither of these things is true. If anything, FF IV is the most linear game in the series, not counting XIII.

Yes it may be linear but that doesn't necessarily mean they tell you what to do. I remember several occasions where I had to wander around talking to people to figure out what I was supposed to do my first time playing 4. Also the grinding thing is totally true, it's the Final Fantasy where I had to grind the most, especially since there is so little customization compared to later FFs. Still a great game, just I don't think the best recommendation for a non JRPG enthusiast.

Cpt_Skooma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cpt_Skooma

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

@Cpt_Skooma said:

Complete Collection is the one with the hi-res sprites and no voice acting, right? That's the one to get, not the polygonal one with the voice acting.

As far as I know, the 3D one (with voice acting???) is the remake on the DS. The (PSP) Complete Collection is indeed the hi-res one. Is that a good thing? And would I, who hasn't really played RPGs from that era (born in '96, which should explain some things), enjoy FF IV? And is it easy to get lost in FF IV (I mean litterally stuck, don't know where to go next)?

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@Hunter5024 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Yes it may be linear but that doesn't necessarily mean they tell you what to do. I remember several occasions where I had to wander around talking to people to figure out what I was supposed to do my first time playing 4. Also the grinding thing is totally true, it's the Final Fantasy where I had to grind the most, especially since there is so little customization compared to later FFs. Still a great game, just I don't think the best recommendation for a non JRPG enthusiast.

Fair enough, but walking around and talking to people is something you should be doing anyway in an RPG, so that sort of thing never bothers me. To me that's just inherent to the genre -- when you don't know what to do next, you talk to people until someone points the way. As for the grinding, I actually completely forgot that the version I played (SNES FFII) was gimped somewhat for American audiences. I've never actually played proper FF IV, so maybe you're right about the grinding, I dunno.

@Cpt_Skooma said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

@Cpt_Skooma said:

Complete Collection is the one with the hi-res sprites and no voice acting, right? That's the one to get, not the polygonal one with the voice acting.

As far as I know, the 3D one (with voice acting???) is the remake on the DS. The (PSP) Complete Collection is indeed the hi-res one. Is that a good thing? And would I, who hasn't really played RPGs from that era (born in '96, which should explain some things), enjoy FF IV? And is it easy to get lost in FF IV (I mean litterally stuck, don't know where to go next)?

I was 13 when it came out on SNES, and never once got lost or stuck, I really doubt it'll be a problem. Personally I hate the idea of a polygonal remake with voice acting, but a remake with hi-res 2D sprites sounds like a pretty good way to play it, in my opinion.

Cpt_Skooma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cpt_Skooma

@Hunter5024: How much grinding is it in IV and how important is grinding in IV? Do I NEED to grind? 'Cuz that wouldn't be cool.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hunter5024

@Cpt_Skooma: Honestly I would say you basically do have to grind. In some amount that's pretty much standard in the genre, and you'll want to do some in Persona 3 as well (unless you play on easy). Personally I think downloading some psone classics on PSN is probably a better idea for you. You can get 2 for the same price as one of these games. FF6 is generally considered better than 4, and when you don't know what to do you can kind of just explore and you'll find something, and you can still buy the ps1 version of FF4 along with it. If this isn't an option I would say try Persona 3, but if not FF4 isn't a bad way to spend a flight.

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Fair enough, but walking around and talking to people is something you should be doing anyway in an RPG, so that sort of thing never bothers me. To me that's just inherent to the genre -- when you don't know what to do next, you talk to people until someone points the way.

Well that was true back in the day, but I'd say the genre has sort of moved past that.

Cpt_Skooma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cpt_Skooma

@Kevin_Cogneto: Yeah... grinding. I hate it, and judging from this review (just take a look at the title and the conclusion: bit.ly/OTtvzF) of the DS (3D) version of FF IV, there will indeed be grinding.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258 said:

I've never played Final Fantasy IV

What have you been doing with your life?

@believer258 said:

FFVI, which I have played

Uh....carry on.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Red

I vote for P3P, but I admit it may not be everyone's cup of tea. Watch the Quick Look or maybe even some of the P4 endurance run. If you're still intrigued, definitely pick it up. Final Fantasy IV is a fine game, and one of the better Final Fantasies, but it's also something easy to get stuck in without a guide, which I doubt you will have on an airplane.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By gla55jAw

@Cpt_Skooma said:

@Hunter5024: How much grinding is it in IV and how important is grinding in IV? Do I NEED to grind? 'Cuz that wouldn't be cool.

You don't need to grind in IV: The complete collection. It was a pretty easy game. If you play P3P, all you pretty much do is grinding every time you go into a dungeon. I really enjoyed FF IV. It was the first RPG in a long time that I actually finished without having to go back to. The main story is great and enjoyable. The after years stuff is ok. I think I still have 2 or 3 of them left to finish. I have yet to play my copy of P3P, but that is only because I have about 40 hours into Persona 3: FES. I would say FF IV: The complete collection would be a great choice.

Cpt_Skooma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cpt_Skooma

@Hunter5024: Awkward: Can't buy PSone games on Vita (at least not on the European PSN). Any new proposals?

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gla55jAw

I also only got stuck once, it was end game and I ran around for a while, trying to figure out where I was supposed to go, and eventually figured it out.

Cpt_Skooma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cpt_Skooma

@gla55jAw: Is it easy to get stuck, not knowing where to go next?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

I've never played Final Fantasy IV

What have you been doing with your life?

@believer258 said:

FFVI, which I have played

Uh....carry on.

FFIV is on my mental "to play" list, but Chrono Trigger and (as much as I don't like some parts) FFXII are still on my JRPG to-play list. And then Radiant Historia has been knocking around in the back of my head. Toss in the fact that I'm somewhat interested in giving Fire Emblem a whirl and I'm nearing a JRPG overload, though admittedly the latter is supposed to be different in that it's a tactics game and not a regular ol' JRPG.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258:

Fire Emblem; Radiant Historia; Final Fantasy IV (DS); Chrono Trigger (possibly also DS). That is the order I give you.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258:

Fire Emblem; Radiant Historia; Final Fantasy IV (DS); Chrono Trigger (possibly also DS). That is the order I give you.

Already getting closer to the end of Chrono Trigger. On DS.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258:

Then simply shift that to the front, as you're so close to completion.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hunter5024

@Cpt_Skooma said:

@Hunter5024: Awkward: Can't buy PSone games on Vita (at least not on the European PSN). Any new proposals?

Oh I didnt realize you were using a Vita. Still stupid they don't have that functionality included yet. I stand by Persona 3 being the superior choice of those 2.

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258:

Chrono Trigger (possibly also DS); Fire Emblem; Final Fantasy IV (DS); Radiant Historia. That is the order I give you.

Fixed.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Justin258

@Hunter5024 said:

@Cpt_Skooma said:

Oh I didnt realize you were using a Vita. Still stupid they don't have that functionality included yet. I stand by Persona 3 being the superior choice of those 2.

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258:

Chrono Trigger (possibly also DS); Fire Emblem; Final Fantasy IV (DS); Radiant Historia. That is the order I give you.

Fixed.

You must not have read the post right below that one.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hunter5024

@believer258 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@Cpt_Skooma said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258:

Fixed.

You must not have read the post right below that one.

There is one other crucial change Sir.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gla55jAw

@Cpt_Skooma said:

@gla55jAw: Is it easy to get stuck, not knowing where to go next?

Not at all. It's a very linear game for the most part. When I got stuck, it was only because I couldn't find the correct entrance to go into.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ducksworth

Persona 3.

Final Fantasy IV is an interesting history lesson where you can see how Square started their transition to more fleshed out stories and a faster battle system. A very playable game and if you haven't heard any spoilers there are a couple things in there that could surprise you but it's still a game of its time. Expect random battles (possibly to the point of rage), expect a simple story and expect cliches.

Persona 3 on the other hand is a more modern experience. It's got a comparatively unique cast of characters that for the most part interact with you like normal people would. The gameplay is essentially standard turn based fare but the Persona fusion stuff really helps make the game shine. To top it all off it throws dating sim aspects at you and doesn't make you feel dirty on the inside...most of the time.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By egg

That depends. Which one doesn't have randomly triggered encounters?

Cpt_Skooma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cpt_Skooma

I need to get some things clear: Is it absolutely necessary for me to use a walkthrough (guide) to complete FF IV: TCC (because it would be impossible to acquire one at 35,000 feet)? And in which game is grinding the most necessary? / Biggest part of the game?

And: please, take a look at this review (of the DS version of FF IV) and share your opinion of this reviewer's claims (a lot of grinding, and so on).

REVIEW: bit.ly/OTtvzF

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#32  Edited By psykhophear

Final Fantasy IV

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By coakroach

If you end up with Persona 3 Portable play the female protagonist route and make sure you do the velvet room requests.

FeMC has more social links within the actual party (like Persona 4, which makes the gang way more likeable) and doing the requests gives you better fusing (finding out that you cant get the best Personas at the end of the game SUCKS).

Watch some of the Persona 4 Endurance Run beforehand if you want a good idea of what you're getting into.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gla55jAw

@Cpt_Skooma said:

I need to get some things clear: Is it absolutely necessary for me to use a walkthrough (guide) to complete FF IV: TCC (because it would be impossible to acquire one at 35,000 feet)? And in which game is grinding the most necessary? / Biggest part of the game?

And: please, take a look at this review (of the DS version of FF IV) and share your opinion of this reviewer's claims (a lot of grinding, and so on).

REVIEW: bit.ly/OTtvzF

You do not need a guide for FF IV: TCC. You don't have to grind, although I did a little in spots where I was getting tons of XP, but for no more than an hour. DO NOT GO BY THE DS GAME, it is different, it is a grind fest and is hard. TCC is not.

Persona, I mean you basically NEED to grind. You get stronger by leveling up your persona's and fusing them. Then you level up the fused persona's and fuse them again, etc.. When you're not running around the different locations, talking to people, you are in a dungeon, trying to make it to the next checkpoint. Sometimes, your character's get tired and can't continue, so you have to end the dungeon crawling for the night. And guess what, next time you enter the dungeon, you have to start from you're last checkpoint, which may be 3 floors beneath where you left off the previous night.

Persona is still a great game, but there is a lot of combat and is more of a high school/friend sim than a traditional JRPG. FFIV is a traditional turn based RPG. You go to towns, travel on a world map, and get to see scene's play out between characters. I think FFIV would be a better choice since you said you're not an RPG guy. It would be a good starting point.

Cpt_Skooma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cpt_Skooma

@gla55jAw: You have no idea of how helpful you just were in making my decision that much easier. I really appreciate it.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gla55jAw

@Cpt_Skooma said:

@gla55jAw: You have no idea of how helpful you just were in making my decision that much easier. I really appreciate it.

No problem, RPGs are my thing, so I'm just glad I could help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.