Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

Looking for some RPGs on the PSP

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all, been looking for some RPGs for my PSP. Preferably the Japanese kind (not dungeon siege like). I loved Crisis Core and realize that there prob isn't a lot out there of that caliber but would still like some RPG goodness. A few things tho.

1. I hate Grid system /w  turn based strategy. I don't mind turn based systems but I really don't like the Disgea style of play in my RPGs.

2. It's got to be in english! I'm in NA and can import EU titles but JAP titles aren't for me as I don't read Japanese.

3. Graphics aren't a huge factor. I can do 2D, 3D or a mix of both, just looking for a fun, engaging story to play.

Thanks.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By danielkempster

I recommend Valkyrie Profile, which is a pretty kick-ass 2D RPG. It's a remake of an old Enix PS1 game, so covers all areas you specified (Japanese, turn-based combat, in English, pretty engaging story).

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

atheistium said:
    "Brave Story is pretty good :D"
    Thanks, I'll check into it.

dankempster said:
    "I recommend Valkyrie Profile, which is a pretty kick-ass 2D RPG. It's a remake of an old Enix PS1 game, so covers all areas you specified (Japanese, turn-based combat, in English, pretty engaging story)."
    Isn't that grid based tho? I was looking into that game and my heart sank when I learned (or thought I did) that the battle system was grid based, which I can't stand.

Kush said:
    "Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony is a pretty nice action RPG."
    I mentioned (actually mentioned the very game) in my post that I'm looking for a Japanese style RPG, not a game like that. Thanks anyway tho.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#6  Edited By Soap

Yeah you can't go much better than Valkyrie Profile. Also, Tales of Eternia is on the PSP and really well suited, it's 2D but with painted backgrounds that look really nice on the PSP and it's got some pretty hectic and fun combat (plus it's pretty long as well) Give it a try.

Final Fantasy 1 and 2 Anniversary as well maybe?

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vitefish

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. Never played it, but Gamespot seemed to like it.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Soap
    Strongba1 said:
    "Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. Never played it, but Gamespot seemed to like it."
    Did you even read the top post? lol
    Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vitefish

Would you get mad if I said no?

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Soap
    Strongba1 said:
    "Would you get mad if I said no?"
    No, I would suggest you do in future though, if not just so you don't make a fool of yourself ;P
    Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vitefish

Shut the hell up, I'll do what I want. :p

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Patchinko

Crisis Core is a jRPG now?

Valkyrie Profile was good. I've been thinking of Remote Playing it on my PSP.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soap said:
    "Yeah you can't go much better than Valkyrie Profile. Also, Tales of Eternia is on the PSP and really well suited, it's 2D but with painted backgrounds that look really nice on the PSP and it's got some pretty hectic and fun combat (plus it's pretty long as well) Give it a try.

Final Fantasy 1 and 2 Anniversary as well maybe?"
    Valkyrie Profile seems interesting, I'll look more into it, confirm one thing for me tho, it's not a grid based fighting system right? Tales of Eternia, will check that out too. The anniversary eds of the 2 ff games are ones I wont be getting.

I've got a bid on ebay for a copy of Brave Story, after checking out some vids it looks interesting.

Thanks all.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Soap
    Nope, standard turnbased combat ahoy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soap said:
    "
    "
    Oh, yay. :D Thank you. Maybe it was J'ean D'Arc I was thinking about?
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Soap
    Bingo
    Bingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soap said:
    "
    Bingo
    Bingo
    "
    Haha, thanks, now that's cleared up! :D Thank you, you've been a big help.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Soap

No problem, remember though if your not sure on a game the whole Giant Bomb Wiki is there for a reason ;P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soap said:
    "No problem, remember though if your not sure on a game the whole Giant Bomb Wiki is there for a reason ;P"
    Ugh, yeah GB's wiki features aren't really that fleshed out yet. I whip up Wikipedia for info, but at times it just won't tell me simply that it's "Grid based" or not.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#21  Edited By sarahsdad

You might try Valhalla Knights. The difficulty can ramp up fast on some monsters, but there a lot of options to fit out the characters.
    You might also take look under the Battle Screen concept page; several of the games there have already been mentioned here. It may be my inexperience talking, but it does seem to be largely used by the Japanese style RPG's you're looking for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

atheistium said:
    "Also you could look into Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology"
    That's one I haven't looked at, thanks.

Right now I've got bids on Brave Story and Valkyrie Profile.

sarahsdad said:
    "You might try Valhalla Knights. The difficulty can ramp up fast on some monsters, but there a lot of options to fit out the characters.
    I was actually looking at a copy of that on ebay as well. Same seller as the other two I mentioned and right now it's just over $5.00 but I read some reviews that said it wasn't too great. I'm assuming you enjoyed it personally? It looks kinda like a dungeon crawler ala dungeon siege.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sarahsdad
    hush404 said:
    I was actually looking at a copy of that on ebay as well. Same seller as the other two I mentioned and right now it's just over $5.00 but I read some reviews that said it wasn't too great. I'm assuming you enjoyed it personally? It looks kinda like a dungeon crawler ala dungeon siege.
    "
    It's an odd game in some ways; There are some dungeon and castle areas that you run around in, but for those parts of the game it's more a reason to get from point A to B, or talk to an NPC. When you're not in battle, there's only one character in your party that shows up, whoever you've used last in a fight. The monsters that wander around in those areas are treated the same way; looking at a slime creature oozing around the floor there isn't any way (that I could see) to tell how many or what variety there actually are in the group of slimes, until you get into a fight. The closest to this is a bit of a glow around the monsters. I believe the colors were green, red and . . .purple. Anyhow, they woudl get a bit glowy depending on if you were much lower, much higher, or just about the same level as them. I didn't finish the game at the time, since I was renting it, and the lenght was more than I wanted to take in light of some other games in my queue.
    One of the things I really liked about it was the level of customization available to the characters. It uses what seems to be a more and more common job system to help determine what your character is or isn't able to do. On top of that, each character as a somewhat user definable AI; you choose how important things like healing themselves, healing you, attacking, defednding, etc, are to them. I'm not sure how much of a twist it was, but it was also a nice touch that as your characters leveled up, you get more and more of what amount to AI points. At the first couple levels, you party members are only really smart enough to handle concepts like 'attack twice as often as you heal'; as the number of AI points go up, you can get them to have more balaced behavior where they'll buff either themselves or the party, run in to attack and then drop back to heal if need be. since it was a rental, I didn't have the manual, so there's probably some things I'm missing in the setup and execution. I'd say if you can get it for 5.00, and can put in the time to level up your characters, it's certainly worth the money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sarahsdad said:
    "hush404 said:
    "
    It's an odd game in some ways; There are some dungeon and castle areas that you run around in, but for those parts of the game it's more a reason to get from point A to B, or talk to an NPC. When you're not in battle, there's only one character in your party that shows up, whoever you've used last in a fight. The monsters that wander around in those areas are treated the same way; looking at a slime creature oozing around the floor there isn't any way (that I could see) to tell how many or what variety there actually are in the group of slimes, until you get into a fight. The closest to this is a bit of a glow around the monsters. I believe the colors were green, red and . . .purple. Anyhow, they woudl get a bit glowy depending on if you were much lower, much higher, or just about the same level as them. I didn't finish the game at the time, since I was renting it, and the lenght was more than I wanted to take in light of some other games in my queue.
    One of the things I really liked about it was the level of customization available to the characters. It uses what seems to be a more and more common job system to help determine what your character is or isn't able to do. On top of that, each character as a somewhat user definable AI; you choose how important things like healing themselves, healing you, attacking, defednding, etc, are to them. I'm not sure how much of a twist it was, but it was also a nice touch that as your characters leveled up, you get more and more of what amount to AI points. At the first couple levels, you party members are only really smart enough to handle concepts like 'attack twice as often as you heal'; as the number of AI points go up, you can get them to have more balaced behavior where they'll buff either themselves or the party, run in to attack and then drop back to heal if need be. since it was a rental, I didn't have the manual, so there's probably some things I'm missing in the setup and execution. I'd say if you can get it for 5.00, and can put in the time to level up your characters, it's certainly worth the money."
    Hmm, so its less like a dungeon crawler and more like a traditional JRPG in terms of how it plays, but from what you describe, it's not too different from other RPGs I've played. Actually sounds a lot like DragonQuest to me.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sarahsdad

Hate to say, but I've never played Dragon Quest, so I can't judge the comparison.

I will say that of the other two games you mentioned above, Brave Story and Valkyrie Profile I really enjoyed Brave Story, but had a hard time with Valkyrie Profile. VP I had some hard times with in places where it went into platforming; there wasn't too much of it, but that's always been one of my least favorite types of gameplay, and having it mixed in hurt the game for me.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Cube

Brave Story: New Traveller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sarahsdad said:
    "Hate to say, but I've never played Dragon Quest, so I can't judge the comparison.
    I will say that of the other two games you mentioned above, Brave Story and Valkyrie Profile I really enjoyed Brave Story, but had a hard time with Valkyrie Profile. VP I had some hard times with in places where it went into platforming; there wasn't too much of it, but that's always been one of my least favorite types of gameplay, and having it mixed in hurt the game for me.
    "
    I dun mind some platforming, so hopefully it wont be an issue for me.
    pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By pikastar

Most have already said the best ones :) Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Eternia, and Brave Story are all awesome. My three favorite (in that  order) behind Crisis Core

For something different: If you are looking for a turn based monster battling rpg (think pokemon with a better everything lol), I suggest Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner.  Also, Legend of Heroes is a pretty decent turn based rpg, but not as good as the three I mentioned at the top.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikastar said:
    "Most have already said the best ones :) Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Eternia, and Brave Story are all awesome. My three favorite (in that  order) behind Crisis Core

For something different: If you are looking for a turn based monster battling rpg (think pokemon with a better everything lol), I suggest Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner.  Also, Legend of Heroes is a pretty decent turn based rpg, but not as good as the three I mentioned at the top."
    Thanks. I've got BS on its way from an ebay seller, nay get the other two in the future. Also, what's this monster kingdom? That sounds tantalizing.  OH WAIT! I just Wikied it and got Folklore of the PS3 -which I loved- is there a PSP version?
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By BoG
    hush404 said:
    "Soap said:
    "
    "
    Oh, yay. :D Thank you. Maybe it was J'ean D'Arc I was thinking about?"
    Or maybe it was Valkyrie Profile.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Jayge_

If you're still hungry for some more jRPG madness, there are two Star Ocean remakes coming out within the next couple of months!

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By SpinCookie
    hush404 said:
    "pikastar said:
    "Most have already said the best ones :) Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Eternia, and Brave Story are all awesome. My three favorite (in that  order) behind Crisis Core

For something different: If you are looking for a turn based monster battling rpg (think pokemon with a better everything lol), I suggest Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner.  Also, Legend of Heroes is a pretty decent turn based rpg, but not as good as the three I mentioned at the top."
    Thanks. I've got BS on its way from an ebay seller, nay get the other two in the future. Also, what's this monster kingdom? That sounds tantalizing.  OH WAIT! I just Wikied it and got Folklore of the PS3 -which I loved- is there a PSP version?"
    No PSP version of Folklore.  
    I know you said you didn't like grid based Strategy RPGs but I gotta pimp Jeanne d'Arc.  I think you should really give it a shot, maybe just rent it.  I hated all RPGs, I was strictly a shooter/action/platforming man myself.  My buddy let me borrow Jeanne d'Arc and I literally could not put it down.  Not only did it lead me to play other Level-5 developed games (Professor Layton, Rogue Galaxy) but I also started liking RPGs a lot more (a lot more than zero).  Give it a rent, it's worth a shot.  It led me to a whole genre of games I never gave a proper chance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpinCookie said:
    No PSP version of Folklore.  
    I know you said you didn't like grid based Strategy RPGs but I gotta pimp Jeanne d'Arc.  I think you should really give it a shot, maybe just rent it.  I hated all RPGs, I was strictly a shooter/action/platforming man myself.  My buddy let me borrow Jeanne d'Arc and I literally could not put it down.  Not only did it lead me to play other Level-5 developed games (Professor Layton, Rogue Galaxy) but I also started liking RPGs a lot more (a lot more than zero).  Give it a rent, it's worth a shot.  It led me to a whole genre of games I never gave a proper chance.
    "
    I might. But I swear I despise the grid system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.