Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

PSP...am I making a mistake?

Avatar image for thechriseverson
    thechriseverson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thechriseverson

hey all,

Bit of advice please. I have ordered a psp 3000 with Silent Hill (Shattered Memories) and FF Crisis Core. As much as I like the DS, I prefer my games a little more grown up. Are enough decent titles on the psp for this not to be a wasted purchase? Any advice on worth while games would be much appreciated!

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FlyingRat

Wait, there's a Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for the PSP? You sure you didn't order Origins?

Edit: Oh, never mind. Looked it up. So there is.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Getz

Little Big Planet and Fat Princess make this worth it if you already had one, but I can't recommend purchasing one now. Then again, it's your money.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, you are making a mistake, as you should get Shattered Memories on Wii instead, it's a much more immersing and robust experience on Wii. As for PSP games, shouldn't you research before buying? There are plenty good games on it - GTA (several in fact), Metal Gear (AC!D 1 & 2, Portable Ops, Peace Walker soon), Tekken (5, 6 & whatever), God of War (one released & another coming), Monster Hunter (Freedom Unite the latest & another coming), JRPG-ish titles (Disgaea, Crisis Core), and more - as there are for any current platform, but if they will appeal to your personal tastes is another matter you should have considered before ordering. One game justified getting a PSP yet the same game's superior (well, simply the intended) version didn't justify keeping your Wii?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain

Well, I play mine even less than I do my Wii, and that's with all the SNES and arcade emulators on there.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FlyingRat

It kinda depends on what games you like,but i would recommend God of War: Chains of Olympus and if you haven't played it on your DS yet, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shirogane

PSP is like the PS2, except it's a PSP. I don't like playing stuff on the psp, it just feels wrong somehow. 
    Chinatown Wars was pretty good though. Bit annoyed at the whole Ling thing though...
    thechriseverson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thechriseverson

I just not into the Wii, ended up selling mine a year ago.

This is a bit crazy, but I really wanted to play shattered memories, so just bought a psp regardless. I figured there would be some half decent games. I spend quite a bit of time on the train with my job, so wanted a portable option. Well GTA Chinatown is certainly something I like the look off. Fat Princess also looks good.

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ramyun

God of War: Ghost of Sparta is coming out soon and that looks pretty sweet, but even so, the PSP isn't all that great in terms of content right now. I mean portable gaming is meant to be simple, pick up and play kind of stuff. For me, if I wanted to play proper games, then I'll just go on my PS3 where it will look way better.

thechriseverson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thechriseverson

Understand your point Ramyum, but often I am on the train for about 2 hours, so sometimes want something a bit more involved than pick up and play. Ghost of Spata does look good though, thanks for the tip.

Thanks Linkyshinks, all three suggestions look ace!

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By guiseppe

I'd say there are enough games to warrant a purchase. Even if I now mostly use it to play PS One classics. But when I bought one last summer, that was the thought I had, and came to the conclusions that there are actually enough games I want for it.

thechriseverson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thechriseverson

yeah, that was my thought. I mean I never expected that I would use it more than my Xbox. It is there to get a half decent gaming fix while on the train. Got it in Red too...not that it makes it better, but thought I'd point that out :)

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#13  Edited By Valkyr

You are not making a mistake but you should pick origins instead of shattered memories and get that one for the Wii . There are a lot of good games, in fact I own more PSP games than any other platform this generation.

• Final Fantasy 1
    • Final Fantasy 2
    • Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
    • Darkstalkers Chronicles
    • Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
    • God of War: Chains of Olympus
    • Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
    • Jean d'Arc
    • Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
    • Megaman Powered Up
    • PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe
    • Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star (awesome game and awesome packaging with OST! )

PD: And Crisis Core, but you have already ordered it
    Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Cazamalos

the psp does not  have lost of fun or great games, but it have at least like two dozens of awesome games, this are some of the psp games i really enjoyed: 

• God of War: Chain of Olympus, is an excellent game one of the best games for portables system ever. 
    • Burnout Legends , if you know what burnout is, you should check this out, one of the best in the series 
    • Locoroco 2 & Patapon 2 : they're just fun 
    • Resistance Retribution, excellent and long shooter for a portable with just one stick
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjakiller

Meh, I keep thinking about buying one, but I probably never will.

thechriseverson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thechriseverson

From what you guys are saying, it does seem to have enough awesome games to keep me going for a while. I'm sure there will be a handful of future releases too that keep me busy. Are there any signs of a Persona game coming out in the uk for the psp?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Willy105

The PSP has a pretty good library already out, and since they aren't very popular, you can nab them at great discount prices.

But I hope you don't expect it to replace the DS.

Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Pepsicolaboy

Everyone has already posted more than enough good reasons to get one (ie. great games), but also remember that the value of the PSP is significantly increased depending on how you use it.

I use mine pretty much only when im travelling, or killing time in dentists offices etc. - and the value of having a device with some decent movies, music, comics and amazing games right there in your pocket is enormous.
    Obviously other devices technically do this, but the fact that the PSP is totally open (no iPod/iTunes nonsense), has legitimately good games, easily hacked (whole other level of potential value added right there) and is well supported by Sony (the new Comic Book reader/store is almost my single favourite aspect of the system)......all makes the PSP well worth it. 

I've found that most people who dont like the device tend to be those who try to use it as a gaming platform alongside thier PS3 and 360's, and for nothing else. Obviously pixeljunk monsters is 'better' on PS3 (trophies, 1080p, etc.) but your PS3 doesn't come on train trips with you :)

Its great. You'll love it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Meowayne

With more "grown up" games, you mean more adolescent-appealing games, right?

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chirag4

Big mistake dude.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jack268

I wouldn't buy a 3000 as they are apparently harder to install custom firmware on. I probably shouldn't be talking about that stuff here since most gamers consider that dirty stuff but yeah, all the emulators you can get for the psp are amazing. 

Anyhow, MGS:PW, GOW, P3P, LBP etc probably justifies a PSP without CFW.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.