Sony Announces a New Model of PSP for Some Reason

• 92 results
Posted by Alex (2024 posts) -

If you're one of those staunchly stingy European types who out and out refuses to buy any new technology until it's gone through a minimum of four hardware revisions, has stripped out arguably its most useful feature, and dropped to a price that effectively says "seriously, just buy one of these goddamned things," then has Sony ever got a piece of news for you.

Like this, but cheaper, and less useful.

Inexplicably dropped as an addendum to Sony's PlayStation Vita portion of its Gamescom press conference, new Sony Computer Entertainment Europe head Jim Ryan chestily announced that a new piece of PSP hardware will be hitting stores in the near future. This new model will retail for 99 Euros (according to a statement from Sony, this model is only for Europe, with no American release planned), and will actually drop all wi-fi functionality from the hardware. Presumably, ad-hoc play will continue to exist, but any online connectivity will be dropped. Again, Sony has yet to specify the exact schematics of the device at this juncture.

So, there you go. Sit here and marvel at the fact that Sony pretty much just announced the PSP Go in reverse. Excitedly, even. Now excuse me, I have to return to deciphering why the hell there is a dance crew busting a move to wobble bassy electro tracks to ostensibly promote the PlayStation Move. It's just been that kind of press conference, people.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2024 posts) -

If you're one of those staunchly stingy European types who out and out refuses to buy any new technology until it's gone through a minimum of four hardware revisions, has stripped out arguably its most useful feature, and dropped to a price that effectively says "seriously, just buy one of these goddamned things," then has Sony ever got a piece of news for you.

Like this, but cheaper, and less useful.

Inexplicably dropped as an addendum to Sony's PlayStation Vita portion of its Gamescom press conference, new Sony Computer Entertainment Europe head Jim Ryan chestily announced that a new piece of PSP hardware will be hitting stores in the near future. This new model will retail for 99 Euros (according to a statement from Sony, this model is only for Europe, with no American release planned), and will actually drop all wi-fi functionality from the hardware. Presumably, ad-hoc play will continue to exist, but any online connectivity will be dropped. Again, Sony has yet to specify the exact schematics of the device at this juncture.

So, there you go. Sit here and marvel at the fact that Sony pretty much just announced the PSP Go in reverse. Excitedly, even. Now excuse me, I have to return to deciphering why the hell there is a dance crew busting a move to wobble bassy electro tracks to ostensibly promote the PlayStation Move. It's just been that kind of press conference, people.

Staff
#2 Edited by Sinful (211 posts) -

hmmm i see maybe i should get one........

#3 Posted by Tesla (1917 posts) -

SKU it on the barbie we ain't tryin to lose

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

Because 2011 is the year of dubstep, Alex. E3 should've told you as much.

#5 Posted by BaconGames (3363 posts) -

WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA

#6 Edited by Hizang (8533 posts) -

#7 Posted by NeoKef (73 posts) -

Maybe I should pi-

*SMACKS SELF IN THE FACE*

NO, I'VE BEEN TRICKED TWICE BEFORE! I'm not buying a third one.

#8 Posted by MisterMouse (3545 posts) -

WHY?!?!?! that is incredibly stupid... and I also used wifi on my psp like all the time...

#9 Posted by Shaanyboi (1282 posts) -

uhhhhhhhh........what?
#10 Posted by Enigma777 (6070 posts) -

You know... I can't even remember the last time I used my PSP's WiFi... Still, this is pretty dumb. Reminds me of the GBA Micro and we all know how that turned out.

#11 Posted by PolyesterPimp (254 posts) -

Man what? No Online? Thats dumb. SOnys dumb for this. Sony your dumb. I hate you Sony... 

Probably still gonna buy one...

#12 Posted by AuthenticM (3707 posts) -

...why?

#13 Posted by MormonWarrior (2561 posts) -

That's kinda ridiculous, but then the PSP has a bad rep for not having even a decent parental control setting since you can reset it by resetting the system settings. Anybody can access anything on the internet regardless. This'd be nice for parents or for those who don't want unbridled access to internet browsing.

#14 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Just fucking kill this thing already.

#15 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -
#16 Edited by MattyFTM (14365 posts) -

No wifi... That's weird. I mean, one minute they release the PSP Go which has no UMD's, so the only way to get games is via downloading them over wifi, the next they release a PSP with no internet connectivity whatsoever.

It seems to me like Sony are just using this as a last minute cash-in for the PSP. Reduce the cost of producing one to the absolute bare minimum, stick it out at a super low price and sell some units purely based on the strength of the PlayStation brand in Europe.

Moderator Online
#17 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

You know... I can't even remember the last time I used my PSP's WiFi... Still, this is pretty dumb. Reminds me of the GBA Micro and we all know how that turned out.

Don't talk mess on the GBA micro! That thing was swagged out.
#18 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

That's a weird SKU. I get that they want the lowest pricepoint they can manage to try and get more into peoples hands, especially since the Vita isn't hitting this holiday, but no Wi-Fi? That's a fundamental. I'd certainly have no interest in a portable with no wi-fi these days.

#19 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

............?

#20 Edited by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

they'll release one some day that doesn't even play games, all it does is laugh at you when you start it up for wasting your money on it oh wait... my PSP1000 pretty much already does that sighhhhhhhh

#21 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Well, I'll probably get one.  Bunch of PSP games I want to play (and I have P3 and 4 other games from the Welcome Back thing) and GameStop will probably have the big trade in value for the PSP towards the Vita when it releases.

#22 Posted by Enigma777 (6070 posts) -

@craigbo180 said:

@Enigma777 said:

Don't talk mess on the GBA micro! That thing was swagged out.

Oh man, remember that whole faceplate scheme they had going on...

*sigh*

#23 Edited by ProfessorEss (7309 posts) -
@Alex said:

chestily announced...

Well done.
#24 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

I regret watching that press conference. Waste of time.

Trying to think of the last handheld device that didn't have Wi-Fi. The GBA?

#25 Posted by Mijati (908 posts) -

@Bib: The DS might as well not. I've not been able to go online with mine for about 4 years now due to their lack of security support.

#26 Posted by crow_robot (4 posts) -

This thing just seems like it'd be a pirate's wet dream.
No wifi?  No updates, so once it's cracked, you're done.  Basically a hundred euros to pirate the PSP's entire backlog and emulate whatever the fuck people emulate on it.

#27 Posted by Zabant (1236 posts) -

File this under U, for useless.

#28 Posted by Poki3 (525 posts) -

So first they make a console that requires you to have an Internet connection to buy the games, and then they make a console that has no Internet at all?

I'm actually looking into buying a PSP, and was excited when I heard about a new model, but this is just stupid. I'll wait for more details, but definitely not buying it if I can't connect it to the World Wide Web.

#29 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

the only reason i would buy another psp at this point is to replace my current one with the broken Wifi, this does not fulfill those criteria 

#30 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

what?

#31 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

Cut the snarky shit, this move makes a lot of sense business wise and I'm sure they have the data to back it up.

#32 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I never use the wifi on my PSP. Its useless. Even when I download games I do it on the PS3 and just move them over.

#33 Posted by TheKing (828 posts) -

You hated the PSP GO...... So here is the exact opposite!!!

#34 Posted by chickdigger802 (501 posts) -

@Bib said:

I regret watching that press conference. Waste of time.

Trying to think of the last handheld device that didn't have Wi-Fi. The GBA?

To be fair, the GBA SP (I personally like micro better) is arguably the best handheld ever with a pretty damn strong lineup of games.

Maybe Sony is trying to channel that? Fuck, I think the whole thing was to meet the necessary quota of "wtf?" whenever sony does a press conference.

#35 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

Dumb move to make the Vita look like a bigger improvement. Glad America said "fuck that idea."

#36 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

Who would I want a Wi-Fi-less PSP?

/facepalm

#37 Posted by Slaker117 (4836 posts) -

Wait, what? Who thought that this was a good idea?

#38 Posted by MaxOpower (194 posts) -

F*ck me, f*ck my life and f*ck everything I thought I was. This press  conference  was one of  the worst hours of life. Why did I watch this. I hate myself! 

For the future of this web site. I hope Jeff did not follow that stream. Because then he might have killed himself by now. 

#39 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -
@Meltbrain said:

That's a weird SKU. I get that they want the lowest pricepoint they can manage to try and get more into peoples hands, especially since the Vita isn't hitting this holiday, but no Wi-Fi? That's a fundamental. I'd certainly have no interest in a portable with no wi-fi these days.

I wonder if if's a fundamental for the market this is targeting. I have to assume this was done to make it easier to get a unit into younger people's hand. Maybe they're assuming that kids don't use Wifi, and won't miss it? 
#40 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

I'll get this just to play two games.
#41 Posted by probablytuna (3603 posts) -

Come on Sony, just focus on the PS Vita launch!

#42 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

@crow_robot said:

This thing just seems like it'd be a pirate's wet dream. No wifi? No updates, so once it's cracked, you're done. Basically a hundred euros to pirate the PSP's entire backlog and emulate whatever the fuck people emulate on it.

Heh. A good observation I'm assuming Sony suits failed to make.

#43 Posted by vaderspy (3 posts) -

The PSP never really supported online gaming, and for PSN games, you can just download it off the PC or PS3. I mean, you don't really lose anything.  It's a smart move to get UMDs off the shelves to please retailers and to be ready in place for non-UMD Vita games. They probably will retail Vita "download boxes", which has a PSN-download code in the box rather than a disc,  like they did with Patapon 2. 

#44 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Haha...wait what?

#45 Posted by kagato (908 posts) -

This is the dumbest move ive seen Sony make in....well a couple of months. Why would you ever want a psp with no wireless connection? You can buy a "superior" older model for around £99 so this is just baffling to me

#46 Posted by rndmtask (144 posts) -

Sony is truly insane

#47 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2135 posts) -

@VicRattlehead said:

they'll release one some day that doesn't even play games, all it does is laugh at you when you start it up for wasting your money on it oh wait... my PSP1000 pretty much already does that sighhhhhhhh

You have no idea how much I want this to be real.

#48 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

It's actually a smart move, like dropping the PS2 to $99 at the end of its life cycle. Wal-Mart customers and such are gonna buy a couple millions of these I bet.

#49 Posted by ValiantGoat (376 posts) -

derp

#50 Posted by Beforet (2915 posts) -

Sony: Because fuck your features!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.