Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Trophies

Concept »

Trophies are an incentive-based system for the completion of various objective in PS3, Vita, and PS4 titles.

I lost 6 months of trophies.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So my big ole fat Ps3 finally kicked it and I have a new shiny slim model on its way but an effect of this is I have lost the last 6 months on trophies I earnt as I hardly ever sync because it takes ages. Not the end of the world but kind of a bummer, I earned a lot of Trophies in the last of us as well as starting and finishing both souls games for the first time. Any one else had similar thing happen to them. I managed to get it working for a few minutes with a hairdryer got my important saves off there but then it died completely.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

That's definitely a bummer. I try to sync regularly when I play for awhile, and PS+ auto syncs every night.

Good luck resurrecting your old one to try and save all that hard work.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

You could try to put your old hdd in your new ps3 and try to sync.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That sucks man. Sorry to hear.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@trafalgarlaw: That wouldn't work. The Ps3 he put it into would want to format the HDD.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: Does that work I thought it just formats the drive when you put it into a new machine?

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@trafalgarlaw: That wouldn't work. The Ps3 he put it into would want to format the HDD.

@carryboy said:

@trafalgarlaw: Does that work I thought it just formats the drive when you put it into a new machine?

You are both correct, it will reformat the hard drive. The hard drive will only work in the exact model it came in.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Takes ages? You mean, you never had enough time to take no more than a few minutes to sync trophies? Definitely sucks but if you couldn't even take the time to sync then I would surmise it really wasn't that important to you in the first place...As other commenters have said all of that data is on the HDD. As long as you can load the HDD and then sync it you will still retain those trophies.

Also, if you have PSN+ trophies sync automatically...I am pretty sure on PS3 you don't even need PSN+ any longer.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

Takes ages? You mean, you never had enough time to take no more than a few minutes to sync trophies? Definitely sucks but if you couldn't even take the time to sync then I would surmise it really wasn't that important to you in the first place...As other commenters have said all of that data is on the HDD. As long as you can load the HDD and then sync it you will still retain those trophies.

Also, if you have PSN+ trophies sync automatically...I am pretty sure on PS3 you don't even need PSN+ any longer.

I dont know if my ps3 had a problem or what but it use to take around 20 minuets to sync.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! This is your chance to get out of this achievement/trophy bullshit. Just deactivate it and never look back.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy: yeah, I am a level 20 on PSN and my trophies don't take anywhere near that long to sync. On Vita and PS4 it takes about 10 seconds and on PS3 it takes about 3-5 minutes at most.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By strainedeyes

@carryboy said:
    @sammo21 said:

I dont know if my ps3 had a problem or what but it use to take around 20 minuets to sync.

It takes longer the longer you wait between syncs. Though, sometimes it will randomly look like it will take 40 minutes but that's an issue on Sony's side that usually fixes itself in an hour or so.

When I swapped hard drives my initial sync took a long time.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By monkeyking1969

If you really want that data back....like REALLY want it back.

1) Send the broken system off to Gophermods.com. They fix power issues, blinking red/yellow lights, or media drives that don't play discs for various models of PS3.

2) Once fixed ($70-$100), sync your data, and then switch to the new system.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

@carryboy: yeah, I am a level 20 on PSN and my trophies don't take anywhere near that long to sync. On Vita and PS4 it takes about 10 seconds and on PS3 it takes about 3-5 minutes at most.

No, it really can take 20 minutes, I clocked it. It's random but the general rule is; the more trophies need syncing, the longer it takes.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: Again, as I said, I have quite a few trophies and mine takes nowhere near 20 minutes. Since trophy data is stored locally until synced I think that's an issue with the HDD or the system more than the trophy syncing issue otherwise when I sync on PS3 I would have more issues than that.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In my experience, it would take noticeably longer to sync (but nowhere near 20 mins) if you were uploading trophies for a game that wasn't on your system the last time you synced (I'm assuming it had to set stuff up on the server side). But if you were just updating trophies with no new-to-the-server games, it was pretty fast.

As you were probably having to do that server-side setup on multiple games due to the period between manual syncs, that may account for the extra long times.

Basically, the best idea would have been to do a sync each time you installed/played a new game so that any subsequent syncs would not take very long at all.

All academic now of course, but still...

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well my new slim arrived today and all I have to say is WHERE IS MY COOL FUTURE DISC DRIVE!?

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

How did you use the hairdryer to fix your PS3?

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Carryboy

How did you use the hairdryer to fix your PS3?

haha, yeah I should probably have explained that, took out the hard drive and then stuck my hairdryer on full heat blast the vents at the back for 15 mins, then cold for 20. The fault is something to do with the thermal paste or something as this gets it going again for a little while.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I remember my one friend lost some 360 achievements back in the day due to some profile redeeming on other console nonsense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.