sony better shape up with trophies

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by quezen (138 posts) -

no trophies for MGS4?
no trophies for ff7 on PSN-store?

This could be easily fixed if they demanded it before release.  how hard can it be? I have never heard any 360 developer sweating over the achivements. why even bother with trophies if the system isnt there for some games- whats the point? And for the people who doesnt care, why did you think Sony even added trophy support? because it made some crap games even on 360 sell, and developers loves it, because now most people doesnt sell their used copy instead they rather keep it and getting achievements. thats one why to prevent used game sales.

#2 Posted by Yummylee (22576 posts) -

Don't necessarily care about trophies/acheivments so no biggie if some of their older games lack them. And FF7 is just a simple port, not a re-release so it isn't expected to have trophies, much like all the ps1 classics on the PSN.
#3 Posted by quezen (138 posts) -

And you dont think all of SEGAS mega drive classics are "ports"?
And yet they included achievements. MS forced them obviously, because every arcade game must have "achievements", and it doesnt matter if you care for them or not many does, why even add something that you dont even support if thats the case? 
Achievements/trophies are challenge which I love, because when I was younger people used to brag about how good they were at certain games, I finished DMC3 on DMD and NG on Master, now if someone doubt me just look at my achievements in DMC4 and NG2.  Same with some Online games, if I wanna play co-op I can just check how good they are to begin with, they fill a purpose. I also love how I get rewarded for some crazy stuff - for ex, playing with only pistol in a shooter etc, or beating FF7 without materia, some games nowdays rewards you for doing those challenge which you made up by yourself before.

#4 Edited by EVO (3941 posts) -

MGS4 came out before trophies, so it's not Sony's problem. It's up to Konami to add trophy support like Naughty Dog did with Uncharted. 

Besides, who gives a fuck? They're just trophies.

#5 Posted by Yummylee (22576 posts) -
@EVO said:
   Besides, who gives a fuck? They're just trophies. "

Yupp, exactly.
#6 Posted by Skye (411 posts) -

Chill out, no one forces you to play trophyless games, just be grateful that some games do have them. People played games for decades without trophies/achievements.

#7 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

It's not Sony's fault that Konami doesn't want to go back and add trophies to MGS4.

#8 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

PSOne classics will never have trophies, just as Xbox Originals don't.  Because that would require completely porting the game, and changing how certain mechanics work, and it's just not feasible. 

I do think Sony were late to the party with the trophies though, not having every game support them makes their whole system feel a little redundant. The majority of my games don't support them, and that's made me feel very indifferent about them in general.  I enjoy collecting achievements on the 360, even though I'm not someone who'll go out of their way to do so, but I outright ignore them on the PS3. 

#9 Posted by quezen (138 posts) -
@Skye said:
" Chill out, no one forces you to play trophyless games, just be grateful that some games do have them. People played games for decades without trophies/achievements. "
Then just take away the support. if you gonna do something do something right like microsoft did.
#10 Edited by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

Kojima itself says that mgs4 will never have trophy support, and sony can't put a gun on  developer's head to make them do trophies for "old" games (like some ps1 games that the developing team does not even exist anymore)

smells like trophy / achievement whore

#11 Posted by Imperator (1 posts) -

trophies are fuckin pointless!

#12 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -
@quezen said:
" @Skye said:
" Chill out, no one forces you to play trophyless games, just be grateful that some games do have them. People played games for decades without trophies/achievements. "
Then just take away the support. if you gonna do something do something right like microsoft did. "
You've gotta be fucking kidding me.
#13 Posted by quezen (138 posts) -
@EVO said:
" @quezen said:
" @Skye said:
Then just take away the support. if you gonna do something do something right like microsoft did. "
You've gotta be fucking kidding me. "
no, but you must. If the idea or the notion that developers should decied for themselves the system will be useless, it would be like achievements over Windows, who cares?
Then developers like blizzard will make their own for their games.
#14 Edited by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

So is it just those 2 and maybe a couple more before the trophies were released?

They hardly need to shape up.

#15 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

MGS4 came before trophies were mandatory, they can't exactly go and force the developers create trophies simply because someone wants them too. Also I am pretty sure the reason there are no trophies on PS1 classics is due to the fact that it would be a pain in the ass to manage that considering a lot of PS3/PSP owners can transfer the data around systems and play the same save file on either piece of hardware. What would happen when you moved FF7 to the PSP yet you cleared something that would normally unlock a trophy, do you just lose it forever? That doesn't seem like a system most people would probably want.

#16 Edited by quezen (138 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:

" So is it just those 2 and maybe a couple more before the trophies were released?

They hardly need to shape up. "

ofc there is other games, but some have been updated like uncharted and disgaea 3 etc. but some hasnt. the thing is, if you can make other developers update theirs, then why cant the biggest companies like for ex Konami? you honestly think adding trophies for MGS4 is a complicated buisness?

and to "zenaxzd" easy, you just make sure it doesnt unlock unless you're tied in with your "account".
#17 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@quezen said:
" @EVO said:
" @quezen said:
" @Skye said:
no, but you must. If the idea or the notion that developers should decied for themselves the system will be useless, it would be like achievements over Windows, who cares? Then developers like blizzard will make their own for their games. "
Your argument makes no sense.  Here are the facts:

1.  The PS3 did not start life with trophy support in place.
2.  Trophy support was added at a later date, after numerous titles were released without it.
3.  Sony's original policy regarding trophies stated that they were not mandatory.  Developers only included them if they wanted.
4.  Sony later changed this policy so that all PS3 games from the start of 2009 on would require trophy support.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was released prior to the cut-off for mandatory support and is thus exempt from the requirement.  Kojima Productions and Konami are under no obligation to add trophy support to their game.  This does not mean that they believe trophies are useless.  It's most likely the case that the development staff has more important things to do than patch trophy support into a game that's already shipped when such isn't required.
#18 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@EVO said:

" @quezen said:

" @Skye said:
 Taking away the support entirely would be ridiculous.  Better to have something than nothing.. 

But I'm not sure how you could be opposing the notion that Microsoft did it right.  They've had it from the begining, fully intregated into every game.  And while it may not have the advanced leveling system Sony added, this is only because they outright copied the system from the 360, but had the time to see what worked and what didn't and improve upon it.  And even so, I still prefer the simplicity of Achievements.
#19 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @EVO said:
Yupp, exactly. "
that and the fact that youre getting pissed about games with out tropies that people have moved on from a long time ago
#20 Edited by quezen (138 posts) -

haha, are you fucking kidding me  Hailinel  ?

You think adding trophies to one game takes up much time?
You think Uncharted 2 production halted while adding trophies for Uncharted 1?  how dumb are you, its them not giving a shit.
But I can see why, because many fanboys (ps3 ones) wanna deny any faults with their console, so they pretend like there isnt an obligation for anything.
As I said, Sony should ask every developer for an update, and mayby you missed wtf I was talking about, req for PSN-titles just as MS has for XBLA, YES EVEN PORTS has achievements on XBOX360, so enough of the ports dont need trophies bs. Ask 360-users if they care or not if older ports has achievements or not, if they could see them taken away or not.
But since ps3 doesnt support that, well, ps3-users will pretend they doesnt care.

#21 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -
@EVO said:
#22 Posted by quezen (138 posts) -

"But since ps3 doesnt support that, well, ps3-users will pretend they doesnt care. "

#23 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

Merry Christmas and may this topic get locked.

#24 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -
@quezen said:
" @EVO said:
" @quezen said:
" @Skye said:
no, but you must. If the idea or the notion that developers should decied for themselves the system will be useless, it would be like achievements over Windows, who cares? Then developers like blizzard will make their own for their games. "
Forget trophies, let's apply this logic to, say, airbags:

Ford introduced airbags in 1971, but it wasn't until 1994 that they made them standard. When they did this, do you think they thought "hey, we don't have airbags in every car, maybe we should just not add them at all"? Of course they didn't. That would be fucking retarded.

I know there's a huge difference, but essentially you're logic is just as retarded.
#25 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

who fucking said trophies are pointless?

#26 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" who fucking said trophies are pointless? "
Me. What do you gain from trophies?
#27 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@EVO said:

" @trophyhunter said:

Me. What do you gain from trophies? "
enjoyment and extra playability
a magic little thing called fun
#28 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @EVO said:
" @trophyhunter said:
enjoyment and extra playability "
Trophies don't add playability to a game.  They're just awards for completing certain tasks, many of which can generally be accomplished without the motivation or incentive to see the little trophy alert pop up.
#29 Posted by carlthenimrod (1599 posts) -

Well, Xbox originals and XNA community games don't have achievements. It would be nice if they did though. Those Sega games on XBLA aren't just mere ports though. They include leader-boards, online-play (if it's a multi-player game) , and graphic filters.

Sony has done a better job with trophies since launch. I like the idea of trophies being added to PSN originals and what not, but you're being melodramatic. It's not a necessity.

#30 Posted by RaisingIndiana (76 posts) -
@EVO said:
" @quezen said:
" @EVO said:
" @quezen said:
" @Skye said:
Forget trophies, let's apply this logic to, say, airbags:  Ford introduced airbags in 1971, but it wasn't until 1994 that they made them standard. When they did this, do you think they thought "hey, we don't have airbags in every car, maybe we should just not add them at all"? Of course they didn't. That would be fucking retarded.  I know there's a huge difference, but essentially you're logic is just as retarded. "
aaaaannnd.... Checkmate.
#31 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@EVO said:

" @trophyhunter said:

A lot of replayability comes from achievements and trophies, along with the incentive to try and do stuff you wouldn't necessarily do. 
#32 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @EVO said:

" @trophyhunter said:

enjoyment and extra playability a magic little thing called fun "
So, before trophies games weren't fun?
#33 Posted by JokerClown88 (1051 posts) -

PS1 Classics will never have Trophy support just as XBOX Originals will never have Achievments.  They are not ports, but emulations of those older games.  There is no extra development so no trophies.  As far as I know, the developers of the game just give Sony the original code and they put it on the system.  If there were to be trophies on games like FFVII I would think that the cost would be a heck of a lot more the $5 because of all of the extra work that would have had to go into it.  I like the system the way it is.  I dont need achievments on Sid Meyers Pirates, so I think FFVII doesnt need Trophies.  Before you ask, yes I own both systems.  Like Wintersnowblid said, Trophies are just meh.
#34 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Trophies are cool and all, but if the lack of trophies is stopping you from playing MGS4 or FF7, you sir are an idiot 
Also, trophies and achievements are cool, but not the reason you play games

And..this...
@EVO said:

" @quezen said:
" @EVO said:
" @quezen said:
" @Skye said:
Forget trophies, let's apply this logic to, say, airbags:  Ford introduced airbags in 1971, but it wasn't until 1994 that they made them standard. When they did this, do you think they thought "hey, we don't have airbags in every car, maybe we should just not add them at all"? Of course they didn't. That would be fucking retarded.  I know there's a huge difference, but essentially you're logic is just as retarded. "
#35 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@EVO said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @EVO said:

" @trophyhunter said:

enjoyment and extra playability a magic little thing called fun "
So, before trophies games weren't fun? "
Obviously they were but the system adds even more fun to something already fun. Fun + fun = funner...?
#36 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -
@Zenaxzd said:
" Fun + fun = funner...? "
Didn't you pay attention in high school science? Two positives make a negative.
#37 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@EVO said:
" @Zenaxzd said:
" Fun + fun = funner...? "
Didn't you pay attention in high school science? Two positives make a negative. "
Well if thats the case then clearly games just weren't fun at all before achievements/trophies, nope, not in the least.
#38 Edited by quezen (138 posts) -
@RaisingIndiana said:

" @EVO said:

" @quezen said:
" @EVO said:
" @quezen said:
" @Skye said:
aaaaannnd.... Checkmate. "
yes, lets compare cars with something that doesnt COST ANYTHING and is through internet. and speaking of cars, they even take them back if they find faults with them after production, which MS should have done with RROD.
#39 Posted by JokerClown88 (1051 posts) -
@quezen:
Your not getting it.  Its called an analogy.  A way to explain why something is not going to happen using a similar example.  I know its Christmas Eve and you are proabably on vacation, but please turn on your brain so that you can see why EVO's example works.  Thank you.  

-Santa
#40 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -
@quezen said:
" @RaisingIndiana said:
" @EVO said:
" @quezen said:
" @EVO said:
" @quezen said:
" @Skye said:
aaaaannnd.... Checkmate. "
yes, lets compare cars with something that doesnt COST ANYTHING and is through internet. "
NEWSFLASH: going back and adding trophy support DOES cost money. Who do you think adds them? The trophy fairy?
#41 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -
@quezen: Uncharted was updated with trophies because Naughty Dog is run by Sony. Of course Sony is going to update it's own game with trophies. Kojima Productions on the other hand, has no obligation to put trophies in to their game because they launched the game before trophies were mandatory. It isn't on Sony to put them in, it's on Kojima. Whether or not it takes time is irrelevant; Sony doesn't have any control over what they did before trophies were mandatory.  

Were Metal Gear released this year without trophies, Sony could make them be included. 

Why do you care so much about trophies anyways?  I'm not sure why I'm posting in a troll thread.
#42 Edited by quezen (138 posts) -

As always fanboys falls back to "troll".
everything is trolling when someone find problems or flaws.
Its more like fanboys getting upset = trolling, thats their retarded logic. I have an issue with trophies, couldn't give a shit if you dont.
I know 99% will pretend they never have an issue because giantbomb is full of sonyfanboys, so dont worry I expected that.

#43 Edited by DanielJW (4915 posts) -
@quezen: I'm more upset at your awful post format, but that's not really relevant.  

Tell me why, exactly,  you're upset again.
#44 Posted by quezen (138 posts) -
@DanielJW said:
" @quezen: I'm more upset at your awful post format, but that's not really relevant.   Tell me why you're upset again? "
Because Sony as a company has refused to comment about the future of PSN-titles at all.  nor has they said anything about games already released without trophies.
Why? because their fanbase are like fanboys, so they never have to take responsibility.
#45 Posted by JokerClown88 (1051 posts) -
@quezen:
Dude.  You are the only person that has their panties all up in a bunch over this.  Seriously.  Now would you kindly.

#46 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -
@quezen said:
" @DanielJW said:
" @quezen: I'm more upset at your awful post format, but that's not really relevant.   Tell me why you're upset again? "
Because Sony as a company has refused to comment about the future of PSN-titles at all.  nor has they said anything about games already released without trophies. Why? because their fanbase are like fanboys, so they never have to take responsibility. "
OK, now you're trolling.
#47 Edited by quezen (138 posts) -

oh, we dont care about trophies!! 
Oh we dont care about rumble!1
oh we dont care about backwards compatibility!
oh we dont care about group chat!
Oh we dont care about cross game invites!! 
whats new from microsoft? well we dont care about ahum that!!!

sonyfans at their best.

#48 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -
@quezen said:
" haha, are you fucking kidding me  Hailinel  ?  You think adding trophies to one game takes up much time? You think Uncharted 2 production halted while adding trophies for Uncharted 1?  how dumb are you, its them not giving a shit. But I can see why, because many fanboys (ps3 ones) wanna deny any faults with their console, so they pretend like there isnt an obligation for anything. As I said, Sony should ask every developer for an update, and mayby you missed wtf I was talking about, req for PSN-titles just as MS has for XBLA, YES EVEN PORTS has achievements on XBOX360, so enough of the ports dont need trophies bs. Ask 360-users if they care or not if older ports has achievements or not, if they could see them taken away or not. But since ps3 doesnt support that, well, ps3-users will pretend they doesnt care. "
You're in no position to be calling anyone an idiot, sir.  Let's consider the facts: 
  1. Yes, implementing trophy patches DOES cost time, effort and resources that could be better spent doing something else.  The reason Uncharted got a trophy patch was because they could spare a couple guys working on Uncharted 2 for a bit to implement the trophy patch because they already had the infrastructure in place to apply trophies (having them tied to all the in-game achievements).  If that achievement system didn't already exist in-game, I'd be willing to bet that trophies would never had been added.
  2. What benefit does asking every developer to update their game to apply trophies serve aside from pissing them all off because they have to go back to work on something they made months or years ago when they could be working on their new product that actually needs to get done to pay the bills?  How do you account for licensed properties or games put out by developers who no longer exist? And really, what are you going to do if they tell you to "fuck off"?  Take their game off the store?  That's a smart way to hemorrhage developers who support your console.
  3. Every game on XBLA is technically a "new" game; even if it's a port, someone is going in and changing the code up and applying new features to it.  A PSOne Classic is a package deal of an ISO file and an emulator to run the game that interacts with the on-board PS3 stuff to run the game.  You cannot implement trophies into those games without finding the source code for them and reprograming the games, which pretty much ruins all the benefit of putting a PSOne Classic up.  Stop being dense.
Then again, it seems like common sense isn't your strong suit, friend.
#49 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -

Been a while but...

Merry Christmas everyone!
#50 Edited by quezen (138 posts) -

no, every XBLA (sega game) isnt a new game, its emulated. SEGA even themselves has said so and thats why some hasn't been up because "they doesnt work properly" today. but hey, mayby SEGA are geniuses. and Square-enix? not?!
Its not a new game. again a person who just guesses. and makes retarded assumptions, like its a pain in the ass to make trophies and takes times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.