Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Trophies

Concept »

Trophies are an incentive-based system for the completion of various objective in PS3, Vita, and PS4 titles.

Those trophys/achievements that stopped you from finishing a game

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By awesomeusername

Titles a bit misleading, I mean stopped you from S-Ranking or getting the platinum for the game.

Leave your "Trophies/acheivements are so pointless. Why do people care for them? Such losers!" opinions somewhere else. Thank you.

So like the title says, which are the trophy(ies)/achievement(s) that stopped you from S-Ranking/getting a platinum for a game? For me, there's a couple.

• Highlighted words are the games, obviously.
    • Bold words are the name of the trophy/achievement.
    • Underlined sentences are the trophy/chievo description.

Excluding DLC!

Mass Effect 2 - Insanity - Beat the game on insanity. I got as far as the level where you meet Kaiden/Ashley again and I couldn't pass the last part of it. It's difficult as shit so I gave up. Don't see the point of breaking a controller over a game that's going to get progressively even harder. This is the only trophy I need to platinum the game and I just can't do it. It makes me angry when I think about it, I worked hard to get every other trophy in the game and this is the one with the unbreakable wall.

Call of Duty: World at War - Sum of All Zeros - Down 45 Japanese Zeros in 'Black Cats'. (Solo only) As if playing through all the levels on veteran wasn't enough, this trophy is a pain in the ass. Me, my brother, and friends have tried and failed. Closest I got was 42 and I couldn't bring myself to keep trying. Another platinum bites the dust.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Freeflow Gold - Achieve 24 medals on combat challenges. I could've got this platinum were it not for the combat challenges. they're so damn annoying when you get to the later rooms and I wasn't in the mood to keep trying and raging all over the place so I put down the controller.

Battlefield 3 - Vehicle Warfare - Received all 3 vehicle warfare ribbons. I can't fly planes and choppers for shit so I decided it wasn't worth the time trying to invest in this platinum.

Bioshock 2 - Multiplayer trophies - Multiplayer trophies ruin EVERYTHING. I enjoyed the multiplayer but reaching level 40 is a bit of a stretch. Not committed to grinding just for a platinum.

Dead Space 2 - Hard to the Core - Complete the game on Hard Core setting. I'd rather lick a donkey ass then force myself to go through this!

Grand Theft Auto IV - Multiplayer trophies - Fuck you multiplayer! Fuck you!!!

Heavy Rain - All Endings - See all endings. I was willing to do this, but electricity isn't free.

Jak II & 3 - Precursor Orb trophies - Collect all Precursor Orbs. I'm not willing to do 100 tedious challenges for precursor orbs.

Star Was: The Force Unleashed - Sith Master - Complete Game - Sith Master difficulty. Do not change the difficulty after the game has started. Always comes down to that difficulty trophy.

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By IceColdGamer

Sum Of All Zeroes stopped you but Prestiging 10 times didn't? A lot of your choices are pretty tolerable compared to some achievements...Seriously...<-- Reference

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By awesomeusername

@IceColdGamer: I didn't prestige 10 times. I was playing online like last year, a dude was hacking in the match and when I left the match, I was prestige 10. I had only gotten to like level 20 prestige 1.

Edit: Also, some like Heavy Rain and the Jak games are tolerable but I don't feel like putting another 20 hours into them for 1 trophy for each game. Unless you can pay my light bills?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

A bunch, but recently the gondola without firing achievement in Lollipop Chainsaw is a total dick. Also, Gold star all songs in RB Blitz.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671

None have ever stopped me from "finishing" a game in the sense of completing the campaign, but there are a few trophies (these are the only achievements I care about) that I knew I wasn't going to bother with even though I had otherwise intended on platinuming a game.

Resistance 2 - Killing Machine - Score 10,000 kills in ranked matches in online competitive mode.

Batman: Arkham City - Genius - Rescue all the hostages from Riddler. (If this trophy wasn't such a time-sink, then I probably would have platinumed it despite not really liking the game very much)

Crysis 2 - Multplayer trophies

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - There are a few trophies that require you to dick around in multiplayer.  I'm the type of person who would much rather try to win.

Singularity - Multplayer trophies

There are others, but they do not have as straightforward an explanation as these did, and I have to go eat dinner.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By MetalBaofu

There are a few games that I probably would have got S-Ranks on if it wasn't for online achievements or difficulty achievements, as well as some collectable stuff. I can't remember specific games off the top of my head.

Edit: Thought of a couple. All I'm missing in the XBLA release of Half-Minute Hero is Victory 30 for winning 30 online matches. I'm missing a few achievements for Rayman Origins, but the main one that really stopped me from the S-Rank would be beating that Land of the Livid Dead level that unlocks.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By AngelN7

Yeah Mass Effect 2 on Insanity is hard as hell but you just need to find a class that fits that specific run and try to get experience of the combat-less quest also is important to know wich are the best abilities for your squadmates but I didn't use a guide and I did fine so you'll be fine if you keep trying and yes it gets harder I had some trouble with Kasumi's loyalty mission and when you go into the deactivated Collector vessel.

bobcat1794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bobcat1794

For me it was

Modern Warfare 2- Getting all stars in spec-ops. Me and my buddy got very close, I think we were only missing a few in the final tier, but defeating ten juggernauts on Veteran was too much of a bitch to finish. If I remember correctly, we got to the last 3 when he accidentally killed himself or me and we lost. Shed tears.

Besides that, I'm pretty tolerant of trophies now and will put in the extra hours to get them, sadly there are a few games I just wont even bother and would rather enjoy the game itself. Games like Dark Souls, Bad Company 2 (the one where you have to get 20 destruction kills from falling building, HAHA YEAH RIGHT, never even bothered), and every and all fighting games (due to my lack of skill and the impossibility of some of the trophies in games like those)

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sodacat

The complete the game without dying trophy in Prototype, but I wasn't enjoying the game anyway, so it was no real loss.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By YoungFrey

Fallout 3: Protector, Reaver, and Mercenary. The "reach level 8 with X kind of karma" ones. And I guess the later versions for higher level, but I never made it to 8. I was pretty into achievements, but wasn't was reluctant to do the fiddling to get those without playing 3 times. So I put the game off to finish later. And never did.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By NoobSauceG7

The only one that comes to mind is Rock Band 2 where I got every achievement except for the one which is beat the endless setlist without pausing and even though I didn't pause the game at all, I failed once because I had to run to the bathroom and it wasn't even a hard song. I didn't fail on Painkiller or Panic Attack on expert but I failed from running to the bathroom causing me not to get the achievement. Oh well... :(

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By awesomeusername

@Spoonman671 said:

None have ever stopped me from "finishing" a game in the sense of completing the campaign

I didn't mean it like that. Stupid title has a limit so I wrote it out like that. Now I see it's a bad title. Also, multiplayer trophies are just the worst.

@sodacat said:

The complete the game without dying trophy in Prototype, but I wasn't enjoying the game anyway, so it was no real loss.

I played the game on easy and did this. Only the bosses were ones that got me close to dying so you just run away, absorb humans, and fight again.

@YoungFrey said:

Fallout 3: Protector, Reaver, and Mercenary. The "reach level 8 with X kind of karma" ones. And I guess the later versions for higher level, but I never made it to 8. I was pretty into achievements, but wasn't was reluctant to do the fiddling to get those without playing 3 times. So I put the game off to finish later. And never did.

I did this in 2 saves. Second save, you just save before you get to level 8 and be on neutral, get to level 8, reload the save and steal spoons and teddy's to become evil, level up and t=do this until you have all the trophies. It was really easy. I 100% the whole game too. DLC included.

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By NeoZeon

Oh there are so many to choose from, but I'll try to keep it brief.

Lollipop Chainsaw - No Fear Of Heights - Beat The Gondola Game Without Shooting This trophy made me flat out stop playing the game. The level design was bad enough as it is, but having to go through that when the level randomizes the patterns every time made me hate Suda 51 on a personal level.

Dead Space 2 - Hard To The Core - Complete the game on Hard Core Setting Not to crib one from your list, but seriously, Fuck this trophy. My friend and I were on a quest to see who could get it first. He broke a controller, I just said I need to preserve my sanity. Some battles aren't worth fighting...

Sniper Elite V2 - Jungle Juice - Find and snipe all the hidden bottles throughout the game This and the "Gold Rush" trophy (In the same game. Find Gold Bars as you play basically) make me hate gaming sometimes; granted I don't have to go for them, but you're just mocking me with these things. Bad enough there are crazy accurate Nazis running around, now you want me to play another shooting gallery on top of that? No thanks.

Shank 2 - Too Easy - Complete Campaign Mode On Hard Difficulty Normally I like these kinds of trophies in certain games, but the controls are just not fluid enough here for me to even bother. Much like the first game it placed too much emphasis on the art/animation and you took damage because of it.

King Of Fighters 13 - Yeah! I Did It! - Get 10 Consecutive Wins In A Ranked Match This really applies to any fighting game that has trophies/achievements like these. You either have to be on the top of your game or just very lucky. Never found them fun and I stop playing the game as a result. Kind of sad really.

Dragon Age 2 - Archeologist - During each year in Kirkwall, discovered 3 secret messages from the Band of Three Simply put, unless you have a guide or are very, VERY thorough, you will miss these. You can't try for them again unless you start a new character. Bah!

Dirt 3 - The Real Thing - Win a Rally race in the DIRT Tour using the interior camera and the HUD switched off Sure there are ways to cheese this like adjusting difficulty and everything, but seriously, I may as well just become a rally driver. Pain in the ass...

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I got right now.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By awesomeusername

@AngelN7: I'm a bit of a rager so doing that game will kill me. I tried looking for playthroughs but the only one I found, the dude used DLC weapons and I wasn't wasting money on a trophy. But I want the trophy so bad. It pains me when I look through my trophies and that last trophy is missing.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood I'm missing 3 achievements from the multiplayer. Arkham Asylum I'm close but it's mostly challenge stuff. Also the original Assassin's Creed those fucking flags.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThePaleKing

Don't know if there's a PSN trophy for it, but trying to get the platinum trophy in every Bayonetta level eventually wore me out. Shame because the game was really fun.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By AlexW00d

Anything I wouldn't get with a normal playthrough of the game, I guess.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaggE

I don't really go for S-ranks, so most of them, I guess? My first and last attempt at going for a ridiculous, not-fun achievement was in Dead Rising (Zombie Genocider, natch), and I didn't even try especially hard at that.

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IceColdGamer

@awesomeusername said:

@IceColdGamer: I didn't prestige 10 times. I was playing online like last year, a dude was hacking in the match and when I left the match, I was prestige 10. I had only gotten to like level 20 prestige 1.

Edit: Also, some like Heavy Rain and the Jak games are tolerable but I don't feel like putting another 20 hours into them for 1 trophy for each game. Unless you can pay my light bills?

Oh, there's an achievement for getting Prestige 10 in WaW. Thought that would be the hardest achievement in that game :)

Also, I don't get your comments about paying your "light" bills unless I'm just grateful to live in Canada. I probably leave my 360/PS3 and PC on at least 6 hours a day and my PC for 24 hours a day and my electric bills are next to nothing.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AngelN7

@awesomeusername said:

@AngelN7: I'm a bit of a rager so doing that game will kill me. I tried looking for playthroughs but the only one I found, the dude used DLC weapons and I wasn't wasting money on a trophy. But I want the trophy so bad. It pains me when I look through my trophies and that last trophy is missing.

Well that might be a problem I remember dying a lot in the derelict Reaper mission really furstraiting but I tend to keep my cool when playing games I'm very patient and each time I got closer also but if it's any consolation you don't need any DLC weapons or fancy strategies after all it only matters that you finish the encounters it might help to use some tricks like disable the squadmate's automatic skills and invest heavely on warp and overload abilites.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By awesomeusername

@ChadMasterFlash said:

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood I'm missing 3 achievements from the multiplayer. Arkham Asylum I'm close but it's mostly challenge stuff. Also the original Assassin's Creed those fucking flags.

FUCK MULTIPLAYER!!!

@NeoZeon said:

Dead Space 2 - Hard To The Core - Complete the game on Hard Core Setting Not to crib one from your list, but seriously, Fuck this trophy. My friend and I were on a quest to see who could get it first. He broke a controller, I just said I need to preserve my sanity. Some battles aren't worth fighting...

You aren't "cribbing"(?) it, that trophy can go straight to hell. I didn't try going for it but I know me. I'll end up screaming profanity and breaking a controller. Every time I get mad at games, I kick these baskets that hold my books, games, body wash materials, etc. and I crack them. I can't imagine losing 4 hours of gameplay.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By delorean99947

Torchlight - Cash for Trash -Sell 10,000 items to vendors I hate this because sending your pet to sell the items doesn't count, so you have to go and sell everything yourself.

Torchlight - Fisher King - Catch 1000 fish Click the icon and wait 5 to 15 seconds....1000 times, not including times where you have to go and sell the fish when your pack is full. BORING AS FUCK.

There are others in the game, but these are the worst in my opinion.

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NeoZeon

@awesomeusername said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

FUCK MULTIPLAYER!!!

@NeoZeon said:

You aren't "cribbing"(?) it, that trophy can go straight to hell. I didn't try going for it but I know me. I'll end up screaming profanity and breaking a controller. Every time I get mad at games, I kick these baskets that hold my books, games, body wash materials, etc. and I crack them. I can't imagine losing 4 hours of gameplay.

Yeah MP trophies in general can suck it.

That Dead Space one though? That is a whole 'nother level of BS. We've already mentioned it too much (it should only be spoken of in hurried whispers after all), but yeah, my buddy lost his blue PS3 controller to that one. It wasn't four or so hours either...he lost about 6 when his foot grazed a gear while in one of the zero G sections and he died instantly.

Not trying to learn from his pain, but I gave up after hearing that story.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By awesomeusername

@IceColdGamer said:

Oh, there's an achievement for getting Prestige 10 in WaW. Thought that would be the hardest achievement in that game :)

Also, I don't get your comments about paying your "light" bills unless I'm just grateful to live in Canada. I probably leave my 360/PS3 and PC on at least 6 hours a day and my PC for 24 hours a day and my electric bills are next to nothing.

There's no trophy to get to prestige 10 for the PS3 version of World at War so that just sounds unlucky! My mom bitches like crazy when the light bill is like $170 so I can't be playing everyday all day. If the light bill came over $200, she probably would throw my PS3 out the window. But I only use $50 of light because when I didn't have a PS3, she used to pay like $120 and I never watched tv or anything. It's rather unfair but whatever. When I graduate from college and get my own place, I won't have to listen to her anymore.

@AngelN7 said:

Well that might be a problem I remember dying a lot in the derelict Reaper mission really furstraiting but I tend to keep my cool when playing games I'm very patient and each time I got closer also but if it's any consolation you don't need any DLC weapons or fancy strategies after all it only matters that you finish the encounters it might help to use some tricks like disable the squadmate's automatic skills and invest heavely on warp and overload abilites.

I died a ton of times on my insanity playthrough on the level I mentioned above. I used my soldier class and tried different squadmates. I took off the squadmates ability to use their skills but the collectors are just super hard. Especially the ones with the barriers AND shields. It's difficult as all fuck. Then when your on the final area in that level, the Husks swarm the shit out of me and my mates and the big retarded armed one that smacks the floor and sends shockwaves towards you are some god damn brutal douchbags. Yes, douchebags. They remind me of the Jersey Shore cast! But seriously, I passed that part and the next enemy is undefeatable. I can't imagine the rest of the game. Just fuck Insanity!

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By awesomeusername

@NeoZeon said:

Yeah MP trophies in general can suck it.

That Dead Space one though? That is a whole 'nother level of BS. We've already mentioned it too much (it should only be spoken of in hurried whispers after all), but yeah, my buddy lost his blue PS3 controller to that one. It wasn't four or so hours either...he lost about 6 when his foot grazed a gear while in one of the zero G sections and he died instantly.

Not trying to learn from his pain, but I gave up after hearing that story.

I would've curled into a ball on my bed and just cry. Cry for hours. That would be worse then Clementine (from The Walking Dead game) dying. You know that means business! But 6 hours.... By the gods! What is Zeus/God/Odin doing to us?!? What did we do to deserve this?!!?!?!?!?

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By IceColdGamer

@awesomeusername: Yea the 10th Prestige Achievement is a Secret Achievement and it's worth 0GS. It's pretty ridiculous. Sorry to hear your energy prices are so high, that blows :(

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Wacomole

There are often games where I open the trophy list after finishing a play-through to see what I missed and just say "You can Eff right off with that BS!"

But then are are games where I look at the list of trophies thinking, "There's not a frelling chance in hell of me getting any of those" only to find myself persevering and getting the vast majority soon after.

One trophy that does still haunt me to this day is on Killzone 2 and it's not even a multiplayer focused one... it's the "Complete All Missions on Elite Difficulty Level" one,

I've completed every part of every mission except the very last part of the very last room of the last mission. Frikkin Radec (and the insane amount of troops with him of course). And don't get me started on that useless bugger Rico!

Also I'd have a Platinum on Battlefield Bad Company 2 were it not for that "Et Tu Brute" trophy. Grrr!

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awesomeusername

@MoleyUK said:

There are often games where I open the trophy list after finishing a play-through to see what I missed and just say "You can Eff right off with that BS!"

But then are are games where I look at the list of trophies thinking, "There's not a frelling chance in hell of me getting any of those" only to find myself persevering and getting the vast majority soon after.

One trophy that does still haunt me to this day is on Killzone 2 and it's not even a multiplayer focused one... it's the "Complete All Missions on Elite Difficulty Level" one,

I've completed every part of every mission except the very last part of the very last room of the last mission. Frikkin Radec (and the insane amount of troops with him of course). And don't get me started on that useless bugger Rico!

Also I'd have a Platinum on Battlefield Bad Company 2 were it not for that "Et Tu Brute" trophy. Grrr!

I have no intention to go back to KZ2. I did platinum KZ3 though. That game on Elite is a joke. And yes, Rico is as useless as a shit stain on toilet paper being flushed! That Radec level on easy was still hard!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.