All Vita Games Will Be Downloadable

• 97 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4604 posts) -
If you wanted to play Crisis Core on your PSP, you had to pick up the UMD.

One of the more frustrating aspects of the PSP was (and continues to be) the unfortunately fractured policy on downloadable games. Not every game was available on PlayStation Network--notably, many Square Enix releases.

"It's up to individual third parties to decide if and when to publish their UMD releases on PSN. Most, if not all, are on board, as this is a revenue opportunity for them," said Sony Computer Entertainment America director of network operations Eric Lempel at the time.

At Gamescom today, Sony announced "all" Vita games will be downloadable through PSN, presumably meaning Sony has convinced the holdouts on its last portable to embrace the digital world.

I've asked Sony to confirm whether this really means all Vita games, which would include everything from third-parties. That's a crucial difference. I hear people really like those Final Fantasy games. Right now, I haven't heard back.

For now, it's probably safe to assume it really does mean every Vita game. If that changes, I'll let you know.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4604 posts) -
If you wanted to play Crisis Core on your PSP, you had to pick up the UMD.

One of the more frustrating aspects of the PSP was (and continues to be) the unfortunately fractured policy on downloadable games. Not every game was available on PlayStation Network--notably, many Square Enix releases.

"It's up to individual third parties to decide if and when to publish their UMD releases on PSN. Most, if not all, are on board, as this is a revenue opportunity for them," said Sony Computer Entertainment America director of network operations Eric Lempel at the time.

At Gamescom today, Sony announced "all" Vita games will be downloadable through PSN, presumably meaning Sony has convinced the holdouts on its last portable to embrace the digital world.

I've asked Sony to confirm whether this really means all Vita games, which would include everything from third-parties. That's a crucial difference. I hear people really like those Final Fantasy games. Right now, I haven't heard back.

For now, it's probably safe to assume it really does mean every Vita game. If that changes, I'll let you know.

Staff
#2 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

lots of sony news

#3 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

is disney onboard?

#4 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

@C2C said:

lots of sony news

Tends to happen at Sony press conferences.

#5 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai: Ah well that explains it :P

#6 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

I'm still convinced the Vita is going to fail miserably.

#7 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I thought this was already confirmed.

#8 Edited by drowsap (681 posts) -

1 day sony will learn its to soon to go digital only especially on hand helds that are mostly bought for kids that don't have a credit card

unless im reading wrong and there will also be disc/umd?

#9 Edited by bcjohnnie (442 posts) -

@Patrickklepek: "Third Parties" should not be hyphenated.... just sayin.

#10 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

All of my PSP, PS1 and Vita games in one place; on my 500gb PS3. Love it!

#11 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

Yay! Now I won't have to have any form of social interaction with people or couriers when buying games ever again. Really convenient news.

#12 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -
@drowsap said:

1 day sony will learn its to soon to go digital only especially on hand helds that are mostly bought for kids that dont have a credit card

...You do realize that the Vita's main game format is physical, right? This would only be an option for people who would want ti.
#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Make it every PSP game, too (call it PSP Classics or whatever the hell you want), and it's a day 1 purchase for me.

#14 Posted by Shaanyboi (1294 posts) -

Wow, that's kind of big news, and a big push for standardized digital distribution
#15 Edited by AndrewB (7613 posts) -

I always wondered why publishers wouldn't pick the method of delivery that ensured that they set the prices, escaped the middle-man, didn't give people the opportunity to re-sell their games, and cost them only bandwidth to deliver. Piracy? I just don't get how it's any more susceptible to piracy as a digital download than it is as a copied ISO image. 

Heck you could even ditch the bandwidth problems by embracing something like Bittorrent.

#16 Posted by jms493 (17 posts) -

If this is the case, then I guess Gamestop and other stores will sell codes for the games.  Also if I am downloading everything how big of a Hard Drive with the VIta have?  How big are these games?  I think I would want at least a 64 GB HD.  Can I put movies and music on this thing?

#17 Posted by vegoku (98 posts) -

cool! but will vita be that big of a hit for this to matter?

#18 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

I'm ok with this. This gives the industry some room to breathe on costs with less overhead on the physical product.

#19 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Ok sony how big is your hard drive and can i plug in like an sd card or what?

#20 Posted by Truitt (92 posts) -

Happy to hear about this. Not having to swap cards and discs is a big deal-breaker for me with handhelds. Unfortunately, the prices won't ever go down much on the Playstation store like they will at retail.

#21 Posted by Pop (2633 posts) -

Aww yea! everything digital here we come! it would be kind of cool if the next playstation home console would be digital only too, well that would be kind of hard to download metal gear solid 4 :D. Clouds!!! and onLive and shit it's the future!

#22 Posted by max3000 (370 posts) -

I think all future consoles need to have this. It's time to move away from physical media for gaming/movies. The logistic or printing, shipping and shelf space is way too dumb these days when considering the alternative.

#23 Posted by artofwar420 (6289 posts) -

This is good.

#24 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

Make it every PSP game, too (call it PSP Classics or whatever the hell you want), and it's a day 1 purchase for me.

Yeah, if they did make every PSP game available for download on the Vita, I would not hesitate to immediately buy it.  I'll probably buy it anyways, though.
#25 Edited by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

buying a PSN card code is easier than importing games from another country 
hooraaaay!  

also no word if the PSN versions will be out date to date with the physical game cartridges 

#26 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -

Whatever, I'll stick to buying physical copies.

#27 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Yeah suck it retailers! 
Wait... what do you mean you dont stock PS Vita's?

#28 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

i dont care what people say, Im buying the Vita.  Is it alright to call it the PSV?

#29 Posted by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -

Now lets hope the thing doesn't tank.

#30 Posted by probablytuna (3661 posts) -

As long as you're given the option to choose between physical or digital versions of the same games, I'm happy.

#31 Posted by Rockdalf (1279 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@drowsap said:

1 day sony will learn its to soon to go digital only especially on hand helds that are mostly bought for kids that dont have a credit card

...You do realize that the Vita's main game format is physical, right? This would only be an option for people who would want ti.
That's not what the article said.
#32 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

I see no problems with this, assuming the downloading thing is an option, and there still will be retail games on shelves.

#33 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -

@Rockdalf said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
@drowsap said:

"It's up to individual third parties to decide if and when to publish their UMD releases on PSN"

Download is the option, UMD is the given in this scenario. After this they only say that they've convinced pretty much all of them to exercise that option.

#34 Edited by Rockdalf (1279 posts) -
@Brendan said:

@Rockdalf said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@drowsap said:

"It's up to individual third parties to decide if and when to publish their UMD releases on PSN"

Download is the option, UMD is the given in this scenario. After this they only say that they've convinced pretty much all of them to exercise that option.

Out of context dude, read the article: 

One of the more frustrating aspects of the PSP was (and continues to be) the unfortunately fractured policy on downloadable games. Not every game was available on PlayStation Network--notably, many Square Enix releases.

"It's up to individual third parties to decide if and when to publish their UMD releases on PSN. Most, if not all, are on board, as this is a revenue opportunity for them," said Sony Computer Entertainment America director of network operations Eric Lempel at the time 
  Referencing PSP's current business model. 

At Gamescom today, Sony announced "all" Vita games will be downloadable through PSN, presumably meaning Sony has convinced the holdouts on its last portable to embrace the digital world.

Referencing PS Vita's business model.
#35 Edited by Solh0und (1774 posts) -

In a way, it's a good plan to help prevent piracy but you know....Those hackers always find a way around things....

#36 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Excellent. Now if Sony wants my money day 1, they'll make Valkryia Chronicles 3 a US launch title.

I would pay that money.

I would carry that weight.

#37 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Mesoian said:

Excellent. Now if Sony wants my money day 1, they'll make Valkryia Chronicles 3 a US launch title.

I would pay that money.

I would carry that weight.

I'd 100% pay $60 for VC3 for psp I don't know if I'd pay $300 dollars for it.
#38 Posted by Rapid (1367 posts) -

hmm this is not bad. I just hope the storage is decent. 

#39 Posted by kagato (920 posts) -

Thats good news if you want that one game you really need but has sold out or is now out of print. For me though, ill still be buying the physical media, i like to have something physical to play long after the online service has collapsed.

#40 Posted by Nefhril (72 posts) -

Very nice, but I still hope there will be some kind of physical versions of the games in the future maybe some very limited collector editions. Being a collector and all. :)

#41 Edited by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Lots of confusion in the comments by the looks of things.

Sony's aim is to to release digital versions of all PS Vita games, however the games will also be released in physical form. As the Vita doesn't have a UMD drive the new format is a data card (visually similar to a memory card or even a 3DS card, see below) known as an NVG. Sony has mentioned that the card can store up to 32GB worth of data. Interestingly, some released information is written as though these cards will also be available empty but this has not been confirmed. EDIT: These cards will be available empty, and there is a good chance they will be replacing the flash storage options of the PSP;  micro, pro duo etc. They are confirmed to be NGP compatible-only. Sony has also released information to the press stating that they intend to make the NGP region free (highlighted because its awesome news if true.)  

#42 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Good news I guess but I prefer physical copies anyway.

#43 Posted by Poki3 (527 posts) -

Good. But hopefully this won't increase the already huge mess that is the differences between the US and EU PSN stores.

#44 Edited by Devil240Z (3364 posts) -

@Cazamalos said:

buying a PSN card code is easier than importing games from another country hooraaaay! also no word if the PSN versions will be out date to date with the physical game cartridges

I didn't even think of that! Now if only they start making all PS3 games downloadable on day one!

#45 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

They shoudl take the next step, then and just let any Vita game where the controls aren't contingent on something with the handheld (IE, 90% of the VIta's lineup) be a downloadable PS3 game in addition to something you can play on the Vita.

#46 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

I wish Nintendo would do something similar. It would be great to buy 3DS games directly from the eShop.

#47 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Long as i can buy the physical copy cool.

I don't care for digital games.

#48 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1496 posts) -

I may have forgotten, but did Sony ever say if the Vita was gonna be backwards compatible with PSP titles? I've been holding out on buying PSP games recently because I want to play them on the Vita via PSN.

Also, I hope to God the Vita is more hack-proof than the PSP. It really saddens me how few PSP games retailers keep in stock when there are a ton of excellent titles out there and everywhere I go I see DS shovelware

#49 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

And so it begins...

#50 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.