Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

And so the hacking begins...

• 65 results
    lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lethalki11ler

With the Vita launching in Japan, quite a few already got their hands on the device. Sony had said that they would be using more expensive memory cards in order to prevent piracy... Well prevent no more I guess...

Yet to be released in Europe and NA, already hacked
    Yet to be released in Europe and NA, already hacked

"A developer has been able to run a homebrew enabler by using a flaw in the built in psp emulator."

So is the Vita destined to have the same fate as the PSP? This flaw doesn't require any pandora batteries or whatever, it's just using what came with the machine.

Source : HERE

EDIT: This exploit is only applicable towards the PSP platform within the Vita. The Vita hardware is not fully exploited. It'd basically be like having a hacked psp within the vita. (For the moment)

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TentPole

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Enigma777

Wow, these fucking assholes need to stop. They already ruined the PSP, can't they just fucking drop it already.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

That was quick.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ghost_cat

In the end, it's just a matter of choice, and I will choose to just buy games.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By OllyOxenFree

That was fast!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Enigma777 said:
    Wow, these fucking assholes need to stop. They already ruined the PSP, can't they just fucking drop it already.
    Funny that you single out the PSP as if it's the only platform with piracy.
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By management

@ajamafalous said:

@Enigma777 said:

I think it's more that the PSP got ruined by piracy, while other consoles live with it and have decent selling games.

Avatar image for oppressivestink
    OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OppressiveStink

@Management:

I'd argue that the PSP was DOA because of:

1) Shoddy launch titles

2) Length of time it took to get good exclusives

3) Battery life

4) Overall portability

5) UMD size

6) Ports of games people already had

7) Games that were not made for the portable experience.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Enigma777
    @Management

@ajamafalous said:

@Enigma777 said:

I think it's more that the PSP got ruined by piracy, while other consoles live with it and have decent selling games.

Yup. I cant think of another console platform that was hurt more by piracy than the PSP. Not even PC.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TentPole

@ajamafalous said:

@Enigma777 said:

pirate? . . . Pirate . . . PIRATE! PIRATE!

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zels

@Management: PSP failed because it was a shit console, not because of piracy.

PS: I own a PSP.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Enigma777
    @zels

Since when is selling over 71 million units is considered a failure? By your logic the PS3, 360 and even the Gameboy SP must be massive failures.
    goudaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By goudaj

If it's real, it's just running in the PSP environment. The "Vita" part of the Vita hasn't been hacked. So if this gets out you could be able to use your Vita to play PSP ISOs/emulators/PSP homebrew. It's all confined to the PSP environment though, so you couldn't take advantage of the Vita's hardware.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Enigma777 said:

lol, no. Educate yourself, then come back.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zels

@Enigma777: You can sell however many units of a console you like, if you don't sell games as well your console has failed. best selling ds game sold 27 million units, best selling psp game sold 4 mil. By your logic, there is no logic, only straw man arguments.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Enigma777 said:
    Because hacking is inherently evil.

Get some fucking perspective, bro.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Enigma777
    @zels

@Enigma777: You can sell however many units of a console you like, if you don't sell games as well your console has failed. best selling ds game sold 27 million units, best selling psp game sold 4 mil. By your logic, there is no logic, only straw man arguments.

Which brings me back to my previous point about piracy and how it ruined the PSP... You think all those people bouhgt PSP's and no games? No, they just went to Pirate Bay and downloaded them...

@Three0neFive No, but opening the floodgates so that everyone can put custom firmware on their PSP in less than 2 mins is. There is no fcking way to justify it. Don't even try.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TentPole

@zels said:

@zels said:

So a ton of consoles were sold but not many games . . . Does that mean what I think it means? You seem at odds with yourself when you say it only failed because it didn't sell games. Now it does not prove anything, but it does at the very least raise questions about the impact of piracy.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Vexxan
    @zels said:

I'm in the same position and I totally agree. Bought my PSP on launch day and it's by far the worst gaming related deal I've ever done. 

At least the Vita have a few games I'm more than willing to pay for so it's off to a good start in my eyes. Too bad those hackers already went crazy on it.
    Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Wemibelle

Of course they did. Anything gets hacked immediately. Did we really expect Sony of all companies to be hack proof?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@goudaj said:

If it's real, it's just running in the PSP environment. The "Vita" part of the Vita hasn't been hacked. So if this gets out you could be able to use your Vita to play PSP ISOs/emulators/PSP homebrew. It's all confined to the PSP environment though, so you couldn't take advantage of the Vita's hardware.

Thank you for the only reply worth reading in this thread so far.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Sooty

The PSP wasn't ruined by piracy, it had a poor library with very few games per year coming out that were actually worth having the system for.

and need I mention the analog stick? Holy shit that thing is terrible. I've had a PSP since launch and got rid of it this year, I think I played maybe 6 games on it. @_@

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fattony12000

Oh wow, that is superb.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Lunar_Aura said:

@goudaj said:

Quoted for truth.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @LethalKi11ler: Source? 

Saying that some dude hacked it without any links is bad journalism! I want to see which dude(s) hacked this to see if they're legitimate or not.
    Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Talis12

arrrhhg m8y, this ship is sinking before it set sail.. jump ship while you can!

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Cloudenvy

@PixelPrinny said:

@Lunar_Aura said:

@goudaj said:

Quoted for truth.

Quoted again! :D

sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sanchopanza

@Enigma777 said:

@zels

Which brings me back to my previous point about piracy and how it ruined the PSP... You think all those people bouhgt PSP's and no games? No, they just went to Pirate Bay and downloaded them...

@Three0neFive No, but opening the floodgates so that everyone can put custom firmware on their PSP in less than 2 mins is. There is no fcking way to justify it. Don't even try.

Hate to completely destroy your first point but...I got a PSP at launch and got no games 'till the Tactics Ogre remake came out, it just gathered dust because there were no games worth playing, I didn't pirate either. The PSP library is shit, thats what ruined it also...UMDs

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By lethalki11ler

@Xeiphyer: Sorry about that :P here : http://blog.livedoor.jp/teck4/

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rattle618

:D

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @LethalKi11ler said:

@Xeiphyer: Sorry about that :P here : http://blog.livedoor.jp/teck4/

Aha thankya. 

I wanted to see how long whatever site has been mucking around in PSP hacking to get a better sense of its legitimacy. Definitely seems a lot more real now.

I had a feeling PSP emulation would be the weakest point of the Vita, since its a very well known quantity and by nature has to behave functionally similar to the PSP's firmware, some the backdoors that are known to hacker groups would till apply.

I'm a lot more interested in what they can do with this though, It'll probably lead to the Vita itself being hacked, and not just the PSP emulation environment, But I don't know anything about that yet.
    BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BionicRadd

As many have said, piracy didn't kill the PSP. Shitty PS2 ports (or spin-offs to PS2 franchises) that did a bad job of making up for the lack of dual analog sticks ruined the PSP. Game sales weren't bad because everyone stole them, they were bad because most people didn't want to buy them. Pirating DS games is as easy, if not infinitely easier, than PSP and no one seems to have a problem selling games on that platform.

Piracy is an easy red herring that media makers of the world like floating about, but it's actual impact on sales is difficult, if not impossible to measure. You would have to somehow prove that the person that pirated the games had boths means and intent to buy the games they were pirating and that they weren't just downloading it because they could. I have a friend that buys CDs he is excited about usually on day one, but often steals stuff he is uncertain about and then claims "if I hadn't stolen it, I would have bought it" to which I always reply "if you were going to buy it, why didn't you?" There is no real answer to that. You can't prove what you "would have done" when you clearly did the opposite.

My wife owns a PSP and maybe 6 games. I have never pirated anything on it and she owns every game she's gotten an urge to play, much less buy. The few games I might want to play on PSP got ported to PS2, so I really don't feel a strong need to bother with it as a platform.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
    deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure hope it fails. Anything to make Sony realize that it needs to better things and not abide by the business plan of 2006

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35  Edited By Black_Rose

@Enigma777 said:

@zels

The DS was easier to hack and find pirated copies for, not to mention there are countless nearly perfect emulators that exist for it and it still managed to sell a shitton more software and hardware than the PSP. I think you're giving the PSP too much credit.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kidman

Of course they did it quickly, since Sony DID NOT change the known AES psp keys that were obtained from ps3

also: apparently new FW update was released for Vita. yes, already. Source isn't super great however. [source]

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By Dagbiker

@Three0neFive said:

@Enigma777 said:
    Because hacking is inherently evil. Get some fucking perspective, bro.

He dose have perspective, He just dose not share yours.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jrad

The DS was easier to hack than the PSP? What? How is needing third-party hardware easier than copying one file onto a memory card and running it?

The DS sold well because its primary audience -- children -- couldn't usually order sketchy-ass carts off the internet using their parent's credit cards. On the contrary, the PSP's main audience -- teenagers and young adults -- were more than capable of copying over some files to a memory stick and instantly having everything available (or in the early days, buying a magic memory stick/pandora battery or whatever.)

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikkaQ

@ajamafalous said:

@Enigma777 said:

Of all the actual console out there today, it's definitely the one that's feeling the effects of piracy the most. Games sell like shit on that thing, despite there being 70 Million of them out there.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Enigma777
    @Black_Rose said:

@Enigma777 said:

@zels

The DS was easier to hack and find pirated copies for, not to mention there are countless nearly perfect emulators that exist for it and it still managed to sell a shitton more software and hardware than the PSP. I think you're giving the PSP too much credit.

Unless I'm mistaken, you still needed a flash card to play pirated games on a DS. You did not need to purchase any hardware to hack a PSP. 

I think you're giving the PSP too little credit. 
    smiteofhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By smiteofhand

@zels said:

@Management: PSP failed...

It did?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ninjakiller

@Enigma777 said:

Yes, hacking into something you bought and to use as you please should be a crime. No wait, stfu.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Enigma777
    @ninjakiller

@Enigma777 said:

Yes, hacking into something you bought and to use as you please should be a crime. No wait, stfu.

You can do whatever you want with it but once you post that shit on the internet for everyone to use, you're crossing the line, and yes that should (and is) illegal. Just look at how Sony took Geohot to school.
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By amomjc

@Ghost_Cat said:

In the end, it's just a matter of choice, and I will choose to just buy games.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By EightBitShik

@BionicRadd: I don't know man I think the DS sells well because people who do not know how to pirate the games are buying them. I doubt the same people who are pirating from the PSP are like DHur these games are better on the DS I'm buying that one dhur. It's just a different audience in itself.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ninjakiller

@Enigma777 said:

@ninjakiller

@Enigma777 said:

You can do whatever you want with it but once you post that shit on the internet for everyone to use, you're crossing the line, and yes that should (and is) illegal. Just look at how Sony took Geohot to school.

Wow. So in your world fixing a flat tire on your own should also be a crime. If you get a flat you should only be allowed to call a certified Ford or GM service technician to fix it for you. I mean if we're going to go to a completely corporate controlled utopia where no one is allowed to use and share with others their knowledge on how to use devices as they see fit. I'm sorry that you love turning your money over to a corporation who doesn't give a shit about you.

Secondly, oh boo hoo. Hackers are so evil. It took them what two weeks to get a crack already? Maybe if Sony was more concerned about security and controlling their proprietary devices they could spend a little money and bring these "evil" scum in as consultants to try to crack the damn things before they're released, instead of threatening and suing them after they so easily do it. Fuck Sony. They're obviously fucking incompetent, first with the hack earlier this year and now this debacle.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By time allen

all right, pack it up guys. the psvita is over, and with it, the handheld platform. we had a good run guys, but it's time to move on.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Enigma777
    @ninjakiller

@Enigma777 said:

@ninjakiller

@Enigma777 said:

Wow. So in your world fixing a flat tire on your own should also be a crime. If you get a flat you should only be allowed to call a certified Ford or GM service technician to fix it for you. I mean if we're going to go to a completely corporate controlled utopia where no one is allowed to use and share with others their knowledge on how to use devices as they see fit. I'm sorry that you love turning your money over to a corporation who doesn't give a shit about you.

Secondly, oh boo hoo. Hackers are so evil. It took them what two weeks to get a crack already? Maybe if Sony was more concerned about security and controlling their proprietary devices they could spend a little money and bring these "evil" scum in as consultants to try to crack the damn things before they're released, instead of threatening and suing them after they so easily do it. Fuck Sony. They're obviously fucking incompetent, first with the hack earlier this year and now this debacle.

Did you honestly use a flat tire as an example? Wow. Thats the most blatant strawman argument I've seen so far.

Also, you're a sad little man. Go on justifying hacking and pirating as much as you want. As Jeff put it, at the end of the day you're still a scumbag...
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By august

@Enigma777 said:

@ninjakiller

@Enigma777 said:

They settled out of court and as such the legality was not established.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By napalm

Ha!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.