Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Anyone want to gove their impressions of the 3G?

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Shakezula84

Since anyone who got a NA Vita was forced to buy the 3G model I was wondering if anyone has used the 3G and was it worth it to include in the system so far?

(Im aware that features like near may not get much play right now since not enough people are out their with Vita systems, but are the other features working out well?)

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lethalki11ler

@Shakezula84: I wasn't forced to :/ but yeah I'm curious to hear about it.

thisisalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By thisisalan

I can't give you a report on the data network itself so far as I haven't been outside campus WiFi range, but I can tell you that the sign-up process for creating a 3G data account is absolutely atrocious.

Briefly: it involves using the Vita's browser to enter your account details and credit card information into a poorly designed form on a website that is not indicated as secure. If the Vita's screen shuts off due to inactivity, the entire form is cleared. Also, if you enter anything incorrectly, the form is reloaded with the "send me emails about AT&T offers" checkboxes all checked.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Shakezula84 said:

Since anyone who got a NA Vita was forced to buy the 3G model

I just want to say that this is not true. The First Edition Bundle in Canada was cheaper than the U.S.A one because it had a wifi version of the Vita and not the 3G version.

DarkS2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarkS2K

@thisisalan said:

I can't give you a report on the data network itself so far as I haven't been outside campus WiFi range, but I can tell you that the sign-up process for creating a 3G data account is absolutely atrocious.

Briefly: it involves using the Vita's browser to enter your account details and credit card information into a poorly designed form on a website that is not indicated as secure. If the Vita's screen shuts off due to inactivity, the entire form is cleared. Also, if you enter anything incorrectly, the form is reloaded with the "send me emails about AT&T offers" checkboxes all checked.

This x100.

Signing up was a real pain. The data itself works well enough, its quick and I seem to have good connection more or less all the time. Not sure why it always asks me to connect to wifi when I check my friend list, it woks and uses the 3g when I hit cancel anyways.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shakezula84
    @LethalKi11ler Poor choice of words on my part. I imagine that someone out there is crazy enough that they feel they were forced to since it was the only way to get it.

@FluxWaveZ I didn't know that. I forget sometimes that this is an international community and I try to hard sometimes to not be US centric.

@thisisalan That's a shame. I was hoping for more integration within the system. Maybe even an option to pay using the PSN account (wishful thinking, I know).
    Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shakezula84

Oh and I appreciate people not dinging me for the misspelling in the thread. I use my phone and the spellcheck is weird.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lethalki11ler

@Shakezula84: Oh my bad didn't realize the first edition bundle was 3G only in the US. I'm from Canada and first edition is Wifi =D

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shakezula84
    @LethalKi11ler Well it has WiFi built in too, but people may not want to have the 3G in it.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By handlas

hows just the online in general? For like MvC3 for example? (only game I currently have; don't get the Vita till next week)

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Getz

'Ello guv'! I 'ear yor 3G now. S'good to be werkin class ya know?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Shakezula84 said:

Oh and I appreciate people not dinging me for the misspelling in the thread. I use my phone and the spellcheck is weird.

We wouldn't dream of goving you a hard time.

Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ehker

I just signed up a couple hours ago, so no impressions yet.

NOTE: Be sure to add your free month after you sign-up.

1. Go here and login: https://buyasession.att.com
    2. Click "My Devices and Plans"
    3. Click on your Vita.
    4. Click "Add a Plan"
    5. Click "Redeem Earned Coupon" (NOT the other "Promotion/Coupon" button which is just a blank box to enter codes) and you'll see it has "PSVITAPROMO1" button inside of it. You click on that.
    6. Confirm it and your free month is added to kick in once your first month is complete.

This part was confusing, as my First Edition Bundle didn't have a code or anything in it for the free 3G month. You get it by doing the steps listed above.

EDIT: Thanks to thisisalan who found the name of button on #5. It disappears after you use it.

thisisalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thisisalan
    @Ehker Many, many thanks for these instructions. That button is "Redeem Earned Coupon".
    Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ehker

@thisisalan said:

@Ehker Many, many thanks for these instructions. That button is "Redeem Earned Coupon".

No problem, and thanks for listing the buttons name. I had to search the internet to find someone who spoke to AT&T and that's what they told them on how to do this.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lethalki11ler

@Shakezula84: I meant 3G model only ;) the Canada first edition is wifi only. Anyways lol

darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By darkfury

Got a question about the 3G and not quite sure where to ask it, so here goes:

Are some of the applications/features 3G exclusive? Or are they simply designed to use 3G when you're out and about and therefore are touted as 3G specific features? I can't find info anywhere confirming if I'll miss out on use of entire features should I opt for the Wi-Fi only model (which I currently plan on doing). Cheers in advance for any info you lot can give!

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shakezula84
    @DarkFury I think you may miss out on GPS related things (like modnation unlocks based on where you check in) but stuff like near works with WiFi. It just may not be as accurate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.