It's April, and I'm here again with the usual rundown of this month's releases and upcoming titles for the Vita. As usual, it is focused on the North American market, with sections for Europe and Japan exclusive titles in their own sections below.
Sony's biggest Vita title in a while hits at the end of the month - Soul Sacrifice, a faster paced, more story driven Monster Hunter-style game created by industry veteran Keiji Inafune. Else Pub Fund powered indie darling Guacamelee! brings Mexican styled metroidvania action, Dr. Brainhov returns for more zombie-RTSing in Zombie Tycoon 2, Thomas Was Alone comes with its simple visuals and not so simple story, and Table Mini Golf continues the Vita's console dominance of dining room tables everywhere.
Also HISTORY Legends of War may or may not come out this month, it seems the publisher is still as confused about this as we are. As always, expect this list to grow as the month goes on, as unannounced "stealth" releases are unfortunately all too common, like last months Atelier Totori Plus.
Last months theme of indie announcements continues, as it seems everybody and their indie dog is porting their game to the Vita, including Limbo, Spelunky, Terraria, and some not quite so indie games like The Walking Dead, Real Boxing, and Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two. Also, a yet to be revealed Worms game is coming, supposedly the "ultimate handheld" version of the game.
It's not all ports though, upcoming games like Metrico, Putty Squad, Quell Memento, and Luftrausers will be on the Vita at launch, as might Hotline Miami 2 if the creators can make it work with Sony. And Malicious Rebirth and Box! Open Me will be making their way over from Japan some time later this year.
In Japan, a sequel to PSP RPG Conception got announced, as did the not at all Persona-ish RPG Mind 0. Then there was a Nep-Nep invasion with three Hyperdimension Neptunia games - two spin-offs and a remake/port of the first game. Also a soccer management RPG from Sega and horse racing from Koei.
Phew, I think that's all. On to the actual list:
- Soul Sacrifice - Grotesque Monster Hunter-style game from Keiji Inafune
- HISTORY Legends of War: Patton - WWII turn based strategy game (second time's the charm?)
- Guacamelee! - Mexican themed metroidvania game.
- Table Mini Golf - Augmented reality mini golf.
- Thomas Was Alone - Indie platformer
- Zombie Tycoon 2 - Sequel to the Zombie RTS
- Draw Slasher - Ninjas vs. Pirate Monkey Zombies
- Dragon Fantasy - Enhanced port of the iOS RPG
- Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R - Fighting game
Jak & Daxter Trillogy - The PS2 platformers brought to the Vita (June)
- KickBeat - Martial arts rhythm game
- Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault - Ratchet goes multiplayer/tower defense/MOBA
- Snapshot - Platform puzzler
- Picotto Knights - F2P cutesy brawler thing
- Rainbow Moon - Turn-based strategy RPG
- Dragon Fantasy: Book II - SNES style retro RPG (Summer)
- Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee - HD remaster of the Xbox game
- Flying Hamster HD - The PS Minis shooter gets an upgrade
- Coconut Dodge HD - Upgraded version of Futurlab's hit Mini
- Putty Squad - Remake of the SNES platformer (Summer?)
- Quell Memento - Sequel to the iOS puzzler
- Luftrausers - Vlambeer does (Nazi) planes?
- Cloudberry Kingdom - Hard as nails plaformer
- OMG HD Zombies! - Zombie themed chain reaction puzzle game
Rest of the year
- Killzone Mercenary - This time you get to side with the British Space Nazis! (September)
- Tearaway - Papercraft adventure from Media Molecule
- Warrior's Lair - Diablo-thing with social elements
- Final Fantasy X HD
- Final Fantasy X-2 HD
- Dragon's Crown - Fantasy beat 'em up
- LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey - New LEGO game
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - More LEGO
- MotoGP13 - Motorcycle racing (Summer)
- Muramasa Rebirth - Enhanced port of the Wii 2D action-adventure game (Aksys)
- Valhalla Knights 3 - Sequel to the PSP Action RPGs. (Fall, XSEED)
- Ys: Memories of Celceta - Action RPG in the long running series. (Fall, XSEED)
- Epic Mickey 2 - Port of the console title
- Ragnarok Odyssey Ace - Expanded version of the original game
- Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Metroidvania tie-in with the console game
- Invizimals: The Alliance - The Invizimals return for the Vita
- BreakQuest Extra Evolution - BreakOut-ish Mini getting upgraded to full Vita game
- Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New N' Tasty - HD remake of the PS1 game
- Orc Attack - 4 player co-op character action game
- Lone Survivor - Post apocalyptic horror action adventure. As seen on Spookin' with Scoops.
- Starlight Inception - Kickstarter funded space combat sim (August?)
- The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - I don't care what anyone says, it's a Zelda clone not a roguelike :P
- Velocity Ultra - Upgraded version of Futurlab's acclaimed Minis shooter
- Divekick - Kickstarted two-button fighting game parody
- Deathmatch Village - 3v3 free to play MOBA with PS3 cross-play
- Frozen Synapse: Tactics - Console remake of the indie turn-based strategy title
- Superfrog HD - Remake of the classic Amiga platformer
- Hungry Giraffe - Native Vita version of the Minis title
- Hotline Miami - Port of the psychadelic indie murder spree simulator
- Bit.Trip Runner 2 - Indie endless runner (Summer)
- Malicious Rebirth - Enhanced port of the PSN game
- 2D Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character - Native Vita version of the PS Mini
- Floating God Saves the Pilgrims - Native Vita version of the PS Mini
- Real Boxing - Boxing. And it's real.
- The Walking Dead - Telltale's adventure game is shambling onto the Vita
- Box! Open Me - Augmented reality puzzle game
- Limbo - Port of the indie platformer
- Spelunky - Port of the punishing indie platformer
- Metrico - Vita exclusive from indie studio Digital Dreams
- Terraria - Minecraftvania?
- Stealth Inc. - A Clone in the Dark - Enhanced port of puzlle platformer Stealth Bastard
- TxK - New Vita exclusive Tempest game from Llamasoft
- 1001 Spikes - Retro platformer
- Kung Fu Rabbit - Indie platformer
- Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery - Puzzle adventure from Lucid Games
- Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
- Zone of the Enders HD
- Battle Slots - Vita ESRB rating
- Zero Escape 3 - Development has started, but patforms have yet to be annouced
- Ant Raid - Top rated iOS RTS
- Yet to be annouced game(s) from Tokyo Majin Gakuen director
- New Sonic the Hedgehog game
- Mystery project from Just Add Water
- Dangan Ronpa 3
- Some kind of Worms game
(Titles out in Europe with no American release announced.)
- A-Men - Puzzle platformer
- Travel Bug - Social pet raising sim
- t@g - Augmented reality game for 3G Vitas
- Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge
- Doodle God - Puzzle game
- International Snooker 2012 - Well, it's Snooker
(Incomplete list of Japanese titles that have yet to be announced for western release)
- God Eater 2 - Fast paced scifi take on Monster Hunter.
- Toukiden - Omega Force does Monster Hunter
- Over My Dead Body 2 - Dungeon crawler set in ancient Japan
- Eiyuu*Senki - Turn based strategy game - conquer the world, one anime girl at a time
- PhotoKano Kiss - Dating sim with photography
- Gundam Breaker - 3rd person action game based on the Gundam franchise
- J-Stars Victory Vs - Shonen Jump crossover game
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Flash - Latest game in the Legend of Heroes series
- Haiyore! Nyaruko-san - Feel your sanity slip away as 5pb brings Vitas the most moé incarnation of the Cthulhu Mythos yet!
- Labyrinth Cross Blood Infinity - Port of the PC/360 scifi dungeon crawler RPG
- Kajiri Kamui Kagura Akebono no Hikari - Visual novel from light
- Memories Off 6 Complete - Compilation of the two Memories Off 6 visual novels
- Memories Off: Yubikiri no Kioku - Visual novel
- Conception II - Sequel to the PSP RPG
- Hyperdimension Neptunia PP - Neptunia idol management spin-off
- Chou Megami Shinkou Noire Gekishin Black Heart - Neptunia spin-off staring Noire
- Chou Ji Jigen Game Neptune Re :Birth1 - Remake/port of the first Neptunia game
- Mind 0 - Dungeon crawler RPG with a high school setting
- Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! - New entry in the soccer RPG series from SEGA
- Sangoku Rensenki: Otome no Heihou! - The Vita's first otome game
- Winning Post 7 2013 - Horse racing simulator
- Kaku-San-Sei Million Arthur - F2P card battle game from Square-Enix
- XBlaze - Visual novel
- Spelunker Collection - Compilation of the classic arcade games
- Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Sequel to CP: Book of Shadows
- Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f - Rhythm game with the popular vocaloid.
- Time Travelers - ...Level 5 does Heavy Rain?
- Little Battlers eXperience W - Minature mech battle action RPG thing from Level 5
- Lord of Apocalypse - Multiplayer focused action RPG
- Tales of Innocence R - Remake of the DS game.
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny - 3rd person action game
- Moe Moe Daisensou - SRPG with weaponized anime girls.
- Ciel no Surge - Visual novel/dating sim from Gust
- Little Busters! - Visual novel
- The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution - Enhanced port of the PSP RPG
- Nobunaga's Ambition: Tendou - Port of the PS3 strategy game.
- Fate/stay night Realta Nua - Visual novel.
- Special Reporting Division - Adventure / Visual novel from NIS
- Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: 11ninme no Suspect - Murder mystery visual novel from Chunsoft
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012 - Japanese baseball
- Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012 - Cutesy Japanese baseball
- Demon Gaze - 1st person party based dungeon crawler RPG
- Monster Monpiece - Card battle game with boobs.
- Sengoku Hime 3 - Historical strategy game with anime girls
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 - Historical strategy game
- Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus - Dynasty Warriors + boobs + destructible clothes.
- Phantasy Star Online 2
- Sakura-so no Pet na Kanojo - Visual novel
- Tales of Hearts R - Remake of the DS game.
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 - Musou game based on the popular franchise
- Tales of Hearts R Infinte Evolve - Dowloadable 2D companion to Tales of Hearts R
- Sei Madou Monogatari - New entry in the 90s dungeon crawler series
- Atelier Meruru Plus - Enhanced port of the PS3 RPG
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2013 - More Japanese baseball
- Steins;Gate - Visual Novel