AT&T Reveals No Contract PS Vita 3G Data Plans

• 113 results
Posted by patrickklepek (2216 posts) -
Vita launched last month in Japan, and releases everywhere else next month.

Anyone buying a PS Vita next month has one major decision to make that has nothing to do with picking a game: 3G or Wi-Fi only.

At the Consumer Electronics Show today, AT&T announced the data plans for the handheld, the one piece of information we were missing. It's $14.99 per month for 250 MB, $25 per month for 2GB.

Like the iPad, the plans do not require a contract, which means you can flick data on for a single month, if that’s all you’re looking for.

The Wi-Fi model is $249.99, while the 3G one is $299.99

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2216 posts) -
Vita launched last month in Japan, and releases everywhere else next month.

Anyone buying a PS Vita next month has one major decision to make that has nothing to do with picking a game: 3G or Wi-Fi only.

At the Consumer Electronics Show today, AT&T announced the data plans for the handheld, the one piece of information we were missing. It's $14.99 per month for 250 MB, $25 per month for 2GB.

Like the iPad, the plans do not require a contract, which means you can flick data on for a single month, if that’s all you’re looking for.

The Wi-Fi model is $249.99, while the 3G one is $299.99

#2 Posted by Nephrahim (1157 posts) -

So basically the same data plans they use for phones.

#3 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5463 posts) -

I'm going to stick with the Wi-Fi, as I'll be playing this at home almost exclusively.

#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3909 posts) -

That's some baby-back BULLSHIT!

#5 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1671 posts) -

This is actually quite a nice idea.  I'm getting the 3g model, but I don't know how frequently I will use 3g.  At least now I don't get charged every month.  One question still remains: can it be tacked on to my phone bill for each month or will it be a separate bill?

#6 Posted by gpbmike (864 posts) -

@SamDrugbringer said:

So basically the same data plans they use for phones.

I only get 200MB for $15 on my iPhone. ಠ_ಠ

#7 Posted by HadesTimes (827 posts) -

I can see why the Vita is doing so badly. I'm going to pay $300 and then pay $25 a month? Seems like a HELL of a lot of money to me.

#8 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Can you really hold a Vita like that? Crazy that it comes out next month though.

#9 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

So I can pay $30 for unlimited LTE on my phone, or $25 for 2GB of crap 3G on a device I might actually have to download things with.

No thanks.

#10 Posted by Dezinus (329 posts) -

What shitty, shitty prices. I guess they figured no one would buy the 3G model, so they said "fuck it, whatever."

#11 Posted by Frobitz (199 posts) -

WiFi is plenty connectivity enough if you've already got a half-modern phone anyway. Pinch comes to shove and you *must* get the Vita online you can always set up a WiFi hotspot on your phone and access through that with exactly the same speed as a 3G Vita, surely?

#12 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Cool, now stop ripping us off on memory, and I might actually get a Vita.

#13 Posted by Oni (2114 posts) -

Wow those prices... why would anyone pay that? Just go with wi-fi.

#14 Posted by Zaxex (595 posts) -

People are going to spend $600 on one year of PSP?

Surely those people would be better served with a phone and a games console/PC.

Game Boy was better than this modern handheld 'ish. You got a console pretty cheap and there were loads of amazing games.

#15 Posted by DukesT3 (1945 posts) -

@Oni said:

Wow those prices... why would anyone pay that? Just go with wi-fi.

Pro athletes, celebrities and the Biebs. Sadly thats who.

#16 Posted by jakob187 (21765 posts) -

You know what I really want to do?

Play graphically intense handheld games over a 3G connection!

YAY!

-_-

#17 Posted by kidman (475 posts) -

I pay $5 for 500MB and I'm in fucking Poland. That's ridiculous.

#18 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -

Pretty much as crappy as the deal in Japan with Docomo. I'm still planning on getting a Vita, but it's gonna be WiFi for sure.

#19 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Another reason not to get a 3G Vita. Ridiculous pricing.

#20 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

You know what I really want to do?

Play graphically intense handheld games over a 3G connection!

YAY!

-_-

Have they even specifically said what the 3G does? I thought you can't play games with it and it's only for using Near and the other StreetPass-like features.

#21 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Wow, nails first. Never seen a coffin built that way.

#22 Posted by Sn1PeR (139 posts) -

Cheaper to tether...

#23 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@CharlesAlanRatliff said:

I'm going to stick with the Wi-Fi, as I'll be playing this at home almost exclusively.

Why not play a PS3 then? Why use a handheld?

#24 Posted by Nicky92 (76 posts) -

This is going to flop big time. Whoever spends money on this device is crazy, it's good but not better than playing games fully on a console or computer. The people that say their going to play games at home on this device, well I ask why. Why not play on the home games machine. The games that come out on this thing won't be better than the one's coming out on consoles or PCs, and the benefits of using it outside a phone will top this obviously.

#25 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5463 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: Because I can't play those games on my PS3.

#26 Posted by RecSpec (3949 posts) -

No thanks, if I end up picking one up, Wifi all the way.

#27 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@CharlesAlanRatliff: So Persona 4 then?

#28 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Really excited about Vita but couldn't care less about 3G. I've had the Wi-fi one preordered for months now and that won't change.

#30 Posted by soundlug (137 posts) -

@Nicky92: Because I like Videogames?

#31 Posted by langdonx (119 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

Can't play Golden Abyss on a PS3, etc, etc, etc. I play my PSP at home almost exclusively.

#32 Posted by TehJedicake (903 posts) -

I don't have wi-fi. So obviously I'll get the 3G.

#33 Posted by mauaus (1 posts) -

the ONLY thing i want to know if the damn thing will be sim unlocked... apparently thats classified ultra top secret info :(

#34 Posted by deltaalphabravo (146 posts) -

@Frobitz said:

WiFi is plenty connectivity enough if you've already got a half-modern phone anyway. Pinch comes to shove and you *must* get the Vita online you can always set up a WiFi hotspot on your phone and access through that with exactly the same speed as a 3G Vita, surely?

^^ This (also: I have no intentions of buying a Vita).

#35 Posted by Alex_Carrillo (283 posts) -

@HadesTimes: No, you're not going to "have" to pay $25 a month. That is unless you want your Vita connected to the internet 24/7, in that case the data fees are as reasonable as they are for any smartphone/tablet.

You're getting a lot of machine for the money. I don't think it's unreasonable for that device to cost $250 plus whatever the cost for a memory stick. It's up to people to decide if you'll use it enough to justify spending that money. The device alone isn't making Sony any money either way.

#36 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

Just when you think AT&T can't push the envelope for sucking, they up the ante!

#37 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@langdonx: But you're a crazy person.

How many spin-off games are you going to handle though? A persona 4 director's cut, uncharted spin off by not naughty dog, Wipeout, Ridge Racer (I'm assuming).

I don't really see the value of the library.

#38 Posted by Metal_Mills (3049 posts) -
@TehJedicake said:

Don't expect to play online with it. 3G can't handle it.
#39 Posted by l3illyl3ob (286 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

There's been studies that have shown that most people play handhelds almost exclusively at home. There's a certain convenience factor involved with being able to carry it wherever in the house. On the toilet, in bed, in the living room while simultaneously watching TV, etc.

#40 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@l3illyl3ob said:

@Doctorchimp said:

There's been studies that have shown that most people play handhelds almost exclusively at home. There's a certain convenience factor involved with being able to carry it wherever in the house. On the toilet, in bed, in the living room while simultaneously watching TV, etc.

That's also a huge reason why the handheld market started to wane.

I noticed that when I played my GBA SP. So I stopped buying a DS, PSP, or these new ones. The people who still want handhelds aren't nearly enough to support it.

#41 Posted by JoeyRavn (4986 posts) -

@TehJedicake said:

You can get a cheap Wi-Fi router for less than $50. That's two months of 3G, but you get to keep the Wi-Fi afterwards. The 3G model is not a good option, especially if you intend to use that 3G as your only online connection.

#42 Edited by WJist (308 posts) -

From what I've seen of it, I don't need yet another device tethered to a data plan (multiplayer games on handhelds are generally sparse and to pay to access Twitter/Internet/Music/XMB seems moot). For the new version of Sony's portable offerings, the $250 model will be just fine, even with charging extra for memory cards - this has been Sony's business model since the PS1 (remember when you only got 15 blocks of memory per card?).

#43 Posted by PLWolf (944 posts) -

I play my PSP way more than any other console as I'm a Father of Four and I'm not going to kick the kids off the TV to play video games. I also have a 2 hour(total) commute each day, prime gaming time and my PSP has served me well. The Vita will do the same. Between the PSP and my DSIXL I get in a whole lot of gaming each day.

#44 Posted by 014 (348 posts) -
@Frobitz said:

This has been my plan all along. I have the Vita pre-ordered. 3G is not necessary. Why complain?
#45 Posted by mosespippy (4473 posts) -

You would think Sony would want these on contract so they could subsidize it with data plans to make them cheaper. That way the 3G model has the lower price listing but has a higher price over the term of the contract.

#46 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

use your phone as a mobile hotspot and go with the wi-fi only version, at this rate, an iPhone will actually be cheaper, then what does the vita have over it?

#47 Posted by langdonx (119 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

@langdonx: How many spin-off games are you going to handle though?

My point wasn't "I want to play spin-offs", that's what the etc, etc, etc, etc part was for. I guess I should have included Escape Plan or that dungeon crawler game in my list. My memory sucks too much to think of more titles. My point was -- PSV will likely have titles unique to it that you can't play anywhere else. I'm an old man... I drive to work, and I drive home. Where else am I going to play the PSV exclusive titles I want to play?

#48 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Benny said:

use your phone as a mobile hotspot and go with the wi-fi only version, at this rate, an iPhone will actually be cheaper, then what does the vita have over it?

Good games?

#49 Posted by 014 (348 posts) -
@Nicky92 said:

This is going to flop big time. Whoever spends money on this device is crazy, it's good but not better than playing games fully on a console or computer. The people that say their going to play games at home on this device, well I ask why. Why not play on the home games machine. The games that come out on this thing won't be better than the one's coming out on consoles or PCs, and the benefits of using it outside a phone will top this obviously.

I'm not crazy for wanting to play it on my daily bus commute that lasts 50 minutes each way, or when I bring my daughter to her fencing lessons for two hours each week.
#50 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@langdonx said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@langdonx: How many spin-off games are you going to handle though?

My point wasn't "I want to play spin-offs", that's what the etc, etc, etc, etc part was for. I guess I should have included Escape Plan or that dungeon crawler game in my list. My memory sucks too much to think of more titles. My point was -- PSV will likely have titles unique to it that you can't play anywhere else. I'm an old man... I drive to work, and I drive home. Where else am I going to play the PSV exclusive titles I want to play?

That's kind of where I'm at.

I'm not an old man, but I am in fact driving to work/school. So I don't necessarily find myself sitting down and waiting everyday for something, but eh I'll just skip it. I'm already busy missing out on titles on platforms I own without adding another system in the mix.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.