Buy now, or wait for E3?

#1 Posted by hwy_61 (920 posts) -

Amazon is throwing in MK along with a 4GB stick with the purchase of a wifi Vita. I was just about to checkout when I thought, WAIT!!! E3 is a month away!

GBers, would you jump on this deal, or wait?

Thanks y'all!

#2 Posted by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -

I wipe my ass with 4GB memory cards.  Wait until E3.

#3 Posted by Interfect (976 posts) -

Buy it when Persona 4: Golden comes out.

#4 Posted by Keen314 (72 posts) -

If you really want Mortal Kombat with your Vita, I say go for it. If you want a larger memory card, you can just sell off the 4GB one. I'd expect, at most, a $50 price drop for the Vita come E3, and MK Vita + 4GB memory card costs more than that.

#5 Posted by TurboMan (7339 posts) -

Wait till E3. This generation of handhelds seem extremely dangerous to invest 200+ dollars in.

#6 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

I, like others in this thread, would wait until E3 and see what the future holds for the Vita. It took a while for the 3DS to come into its own (and now it has exhausted a lot of its great titles as I can't think of anything big coming out in the near future). The Vita seems to have almost no traction at all. It's launch came and went (although MK sounds really great for it).

I'd see if Sony is going to make it a great handheld or just let it float off into the sunset PSP Go style.

#7 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Personally i am waiting on a price drop because to be $249 for a handheld is ridiculous and i wouldn't pay more than $149.99 and even then it has to have a large library of interesting games.

If i was willing to spend $250 i would still wait for games worth buying and right now the vita has absolutely nothing that interest me but if i was you i would at least wait for E3 to see whats coming and maybe they announce a price drop i mean are you like dying to get a vita?

#8 Posted by hwy_61 (920 posts) -

@Styl3s said:

Personally i am waiting on a price drop because to be $249 for a handheld is ridiculous and i wouldn't pay more than $149.99 and even then it has to have a large library of interesting games.

If i was willing to spend $250 i would still wait for games worth buying and right now the vita has absolutely nothing that interest me but if i was you i would at least wait for E3 to see whats coming and maybe they announce a price drop i mean are you like dying to get a vita?

Commas son, USE THEM. And no, I'm not DYING to get a Vita. I honestly wanted to see what you bros thought. That's all.

#9 Posted by DonutFever (3546 posts) -

Do you want P4G or Gravity Rush? If so, wait until one of those.

#10 Posted by hwy_61 (920 posts) -

@DonutFever said:

Do you want P4G or Gravity Rush? If so, wait until one of those.

I honestly wanted to know if taking advantage of Amazon's deal was smarter than waiting for E3. You guys have been very help though!

#11 Posted by freewilly5 (64 posts) -

Don't buy now unless you're a damned fool.

#12 Posted by ZoomyRamen (237 posts) -

I'm a Vita owner and I have to say, I feel my investment has been worth every penny. There are enough games out that I always have something to play, combined with the ability to download a bunch of different PSP/Mini's make it hard not to have something to play. I'd agree that the 4GB is pushing close to being pointless I'd get the bundle trade it in and grab an 8GB. I also signed up for PS+ which isn't a neccesity at all, but it gives me a steady stream of Minis aswell as the bonus stuff and discounts, overall I love my Vita!

#13 Posted by Brother_PipPop (251 posts) -

I'd wait, Ive wanted one for the past month, no particular reason. But e3 is soon, and even if they dont reduce the prize I guess wanna hear about dem games.

#14 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

@hwy_61 said:

@Styl3s said:

Personally i am waiting on a price drop because to be $249 for a handheld is ridiculous and i wouldn't pay more than $149.99 and even then it has to have a large library of interesting games.

If i was willing to spend $250 i would still wait for games worth buying and right now the vita has absolutely nothing that interest me but if i was you i would at least wait for E3 to see whats coming and maybe they announce a price drop i mean are you like dying to get a vita?

Commas son, USE THEM. And no, I'm not DYING to get a Vita. I honestly wanted to see what you bros thought. That's all.

Commas? Meh.

#15 Posted by Nightriff (4857 posts) -

Wait till they actually release games for the system. MK is not enough to get a vita, at least in my eyes

#16 Posted by Klaimore (945 posts) -

The deal is nice but as an owner of a Vita I'd say wait until E3 and see what they have to announce.

#17 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2282 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

I wipe my ass with 4GB memory cards.

Your ass must be tiny.

#18 Posted by Legend (2645 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

@Spoonman671 said:

I wipe my ass with 4GB memory cards.

Your ass must be tiny.

lol

#19 Posted by KaneRobot (1394 posts) -

If there's one game that could sway me it would be MK, and I'd STILL say wait until after. Even if there's no great deals or a price drop that result from it, at least you'll have a better idea if you're going to see any other games that interest you coming out this year.

#20 Posted by TheKing (822 posts) -

I'd wait and see what the future holds for the Vita first.

#21 Posted by kagato (883 posts) -

Yeah definetly wait until E3 dude, at least then you will see if the console has a future or if its going to be another PSP. If Sony give a good E3 reward them with the sale, if not then you have the choice to wait out until a price drop a year or so from now or spend your cash elsewhere. Im very much on the fence about the console myself, part of me wants it because its new and shiny, but there are a heck of a lot of great console games coming up between now and the end of the year....

#22 Posted by morrelloman (605 posts) -

That is a good deal my dude. I say go for it. The only thing that E3 culd beat that deal with is a price drop. Which you would be covered by with all the freeness.

#23 Edited by Redsox44 (481 posts) -

If everyone's waiting then who's buying?! Seriously though I've never had as many games to play on a system launch as I do with the Vita. People saying it has no games are crazy, I have MK, SSD, MLB 12 The Show and The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky, and It will be a long time before I am done playing any of them. That doesn't include the other games that I really want like Lumines, Rayman, Gravity Rush. I'm in love with it though I would agree with others in this thread and say wait till E3 since you've already waited this long, what's another month? And you can make sure there's interesting games you want in the future.

There's also lots of great psp games I missed like Trails in the Sky that really make it an even bettter deal for me. But waiting until E3 shouldn't be too hard. ( Soul Sacrifice looks awesome! )

Or join the club and jump on this deal and have faith in future games like me! MK is amazing and I would've loved if it came free with my Vita.

#24 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

Go for it. I'm gonna take advantage of this deal. They're selling it for £179 (RRP is £230) so this is a great deal, even before you add those extras on. Even with an E3 price drop, I don't expect the price to go much below that. Do it, man!

#25 Posted by hwy_61 (920 posts) -

You guys think Sony will do an Ambassador like program? Wishful thinking, but hey, it happened with the 3DS, right?

#26 Posted by Keen314 (72 posts) -

@hwy_61 said:

You guys think Sony will do an Ambassador like program? Wishful thinking, but hey, it happened with the 3DS, right?

HAHAHAHA, no. Sony doesn't understand 'good customer service'.

#27 Posted by jesterroyal (347 posts) -

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that just because the 3DS dropped in price doesn't mean the vita will at e3 or even for the next half a year. The vita price comparison pretty much caused the 3DS to drop in price so I don't see the logic in the vita causing the vita's price to drop. Sony doesn't need the gamer buck that bad yet. Its just another PSP destined to slow burn on the marketplace until monster hunter is released. So if you are waiting for a price drop then I say go ahead and buy (4gb is still too small a card). But if you are otherwise uncertain on the vita as a whole you ought to wait. Its a decent investment. While I love mine, I know its not a handheld for everybody.

#28 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Forget all of this and just buy an iPad.

#29 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1723 posts) -
@Keen314 said:

@hwy_61 said:

You guys think Sony will do an Ambassador like program? Wishful thinking, but hey, it happened with the 3DS, right?

HAHAHAHA, no. Sony doesn't understand 'good customer service'.

Solid new commenter, good to see you on the site. 
#30 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

Wait until after E3 or maybe even a little beyond that, I was an early adopter and while I have enjoyed my purchase I'm still waiting for the PS1 support, more quality releases, and more titles to be announced. Also, a price drop will more than likely be announced at E3 so be a bit patient and hold off for another month or so.

#31 Posted by hwy_61 (920 posts) -

I've read all of your comments, and I just want to thank you all for the input. I've decided to hold out for Kaz to grace the stage at E3. Thanks again y'all!

#32 Posted by onan (1282 posts) -

@Redsox44 said:

If everyone's waiting then who's buying?! Seriously though I've never had as many games to play on a system launch as I do with the Vita. People saying it has no games are crazy, I have MK, SSD, MLB 12 The Show and The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky, and It will be a long time before I am done playing any of them. That doesn't include the other games that I really want like Lumines, Rayman, Gravity Rush. I'm in love with it though I would agree with others in this thread and say wait till E3 since you've already waited this long, what's another month? And you can make sure there's interesting games you want in the future.

There's also lots of great psp games I missed like Trails in the Sky that really make it an even bettter deal for me. But waiting until E3 shouldn't be too hard. ( Soul Sacrifice looks awesome! )

Or join the club and jump on this deal and have faith in future games like me! MK is amazing and I would've loved if it came free with my Vita.

Guys like you take one for the team. :)

I don't think anyone is saying there isn't anything to play on the system, that would be factually inaccurate. It's more like "There isn't anything worth buying a system for," or "There isn't anything that hasn't been done before." (btw, I had to google "vita" and "ssd" to have any idea what you were talking about. Super Stardust? Yeah, ok.)

Every game you mentioned is available on the PS3, or in the case of LoH: Trails in the Sky, is actually a PSP title. You're looking forward to ports of Rayman Origins (which I've already seen for under $15 on consoles!), and Lumines, which hasn't really changed substantially since the first game aside from the inclusion of new songs, I'm willing to bet.

The only game you mention that's even close to making me interested is Gravity Rush, which got a 38 out of 40 this February from Famitsu and will be out in mid-June. Still, after that, what? What'll get me to get a Vita is one or more of the following:

  1. Compelling exclusive games for the platform that I can feel fairly confident won't get ported (not something I have a ton of faith in nowadays.)
  2. PS3 ports that come free or at minimal cost with the purchase of the PS3 version and potentially have interchangeable saves.
  3. PS1 support, dammit. Not even thinking about it until they patch in PS1 emulation support for my existing PS1 games.

    All in all, it's really, really not worth buying right now. Sure, there's a sale on right now, but that won't be the last sale for the system, not by a long shot.
#33 Edited by Redsox44 (481 posts) -

@onan: Yes I agree with you, people should at least wait until E3. Unless you're like me and never had a psp and don't have a PS3 either, so I'm not dug into the sony ecosystem with ps1 games and psp games . The portability is amazing once you experience it, just picking up and playing right where you last left off when you put it in sleep mode instead of having to sit through a long start up of a console is amazing. Jumping from game to game on the system is super fast. I could be playing MK one second and then playing Super Stardust Delta in 5-10 seconds and then switch right over to MLB 12 right after that.

All I know is that I've been playing my Vita more than anything else the last couple weeks. But I understand it's not a good enough deal for most people that are not in my situatuion and have already invested in psp games.

I really expect them to have some cool announcements at E3 I mean Soul Sacrifice has already been revealed and looks really cool. If they didn't wait for E3 to reveal it they have to have some other games under their sleeve right?

#34 Edited by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

E3? I'm holding out for at least a sub-$200 price and a good catalog of games (10+) to keep me interested. I was going to be a day-one purchaser, but decided to wait and just got a new smartphone instead. Looks like that was the right decision to make, but I still am interested in the Vita if the price and games are right.

#35 Posted by onan (1282 posts) -

@Redsox44 said:

@onan: Yes I agree with you, people should at least wait until E3. Unless you're like me and never had a psp and don't have a PS3 either, so I'm not dug into the sony ecosystem with ps1 games and psp games . The portability is amazing once you experience it, just picking up and playing right where you last left off when you put it in sleep mode instead of having to sit through a long start up of a console is amazing. Jumping from game to game on the system is super fast. I could be playing MK one second and then playing Super Stardust Delta in 5-10 seconds and then switch right over to MLB 12 right after that.

All I know is that I've been playing my Vita more than anything else the last couple weeks. But I understand it's not a good enough deal for most people that are not in my situatuion and have already invested in psp games.

I really expect them to have some cool announcements at E3 I mean Soul Sacrifice has already been revealed and looks really cool. If they didn't wait for E3 to reveal it they have to have some other games under their sleeve right?

You've got to be in a very small minority. I guess it made sense for you to get one, possibly, but ultimately most people would say it would have made more sense to get a PS3 and have access to all of those same games on a bigger screen for much, much cheaper. You could get a PS3 for cheaper as well. Even a PS2 would be a much better investment. The only real reason I can see to getting a Vita right now is if you spend more time commuting than you do at home -- and that's mass transit commuting, not driving, obviously. Aside from children, that's really not many people when you think about it. It's mostly businessmen and celebrities. Those that do travel a ton tend to be able to afford a console as well. Even then, they have to contend with iPods and Android phones. The ecosystem isn't really handheld friendly these days, especially not so close after launch.

What happens if Vita is a flop and no one puts out games for it? Even if it does limp through a life cycle like the PSP, you've got maybe 25% of the major hits on console getting gimped handheld ports, and maybe a handful of exclusive content.

For most other people, the "wait and see" approach makes the most sense.

#36 Edited by TechHits (1365 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

I wipe my ass with 4GB memory cards. Wait until E3.

don't... don't do that, I learned the hard way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.