Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Can an American Vita play European PSOne Classics?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mandude

So I have a number of PSOne Classics on my European PSN account, and I already ran into some trouble getting my NTSC PS3 to play the 50hz titles, so I'm wondering if anyone could flat out tell me if they've successfully played PAL Classics on an NTSC Vita.

I've Googled high and low for some solid answers, but I've had no such luck. Any help would be appreciated. First to answer gets 1 gratitude.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By ESREVER

I would think the games would run fine. I think the inconvenience would be associating the Vita to an EU account only, as I'm not clear on how to swap between multiple accounts on a vita.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mandude

Well, I'd only be using the EU account, so that's no problem. The problem arises in that PAL PSOne classics run at 50hz and everything else runs at 60hz. The NTSC Vita won't necessarily have 50hz functionality since it wouldn't typically affect NTSC customers.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FlarePhoenix

What's stopping you from trying it out and seeing if it works? It seems like you already have the account and the games, couldn't you just start one up and see what happens?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mandude
    @FlarePhoenix Haha, good question. I don't actually have the Vita yet.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By handlas

Is there a specific reason you want at Euro Vita account? Are there games missing on PSN in the US? Any PSOne Classic on the PSN store (not just the Vita store) can be played on ur Vita. All you have to do is download it on your PS3. Do not install it. And then plug ur Vita into ur PS3 and you can grab it off of it and play it like any other PSOne game that you would download from the Vita store.

Yes, it's a little bit of a work around but it worked fine for me. I downloaded Dino Crisis before it was officially on the PS Vita store and played it just fine on the Vita.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FlarePhoenix

Okay, if you're going to specifically be using a European PSN account, why not just buy a European Vita? I'm almost certain the Vita is region free.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mandude

@handlas said:

Is there a specific reason you want at Euro Vita account? Are there games missing on PSN in the US? Any PSOne Classic on the PSN store (not just the Vita store) can be played on ur Vita. All you have to do is download it on your PS3. Do not install it. And then plug ur Vita into ur PS3 and you can grab it off of it and play it like any other PSOne game that you would download from the Vita store.

Yes, it's a little bit of a work around but it worked fine for me. I downloaded Dino Crisis before it was officially on the PS Vita store and played it just fine on the Vita.

I actually already have an EU account, with many games and PSOne Classics associated with it. If I were to use a US account, I'd have to buy them again.

Interesting, but I imagine you were playing the NTSC versions for that?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mandude

For any poor soul still looking for an answer to this question, I bought it and I can confirm that the NTSC Vita is capable of playing PAL PSOne Classics.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GooieGreen

@mandude: excellent news; what is your memory card situation?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By BlackLagoon

Aside from the power plugs I doubt there's any difference between US and EU Vitas. Having its own screen there's no need to bother with old TV standards.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@BlackLagoon said:

Aside from the power plugs I doubt there's any difference between US and EU Vitas. Having its own screen there's no need to bother with old TV standards.

This. It's emulated hardware, so I doubt this would be an issue. I mean I'm not even close to sure, but I would think that the region locking of consoles/power standards wouldn't effect emulation.

*shrug*

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can use any region account on any region vita hardware, but switching between account regions (say, if you want to access the JP store for a JP-only demo, when your main account is EU) is a big hassle. If it's the only account you're using though, that's absolutely fine.  

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mandude

@GooieGreen said:

@mandude: excellent news; what is your memory card situation?

How do you mean exactly? I've heard that it will be locked to my EU account, but it's the only account I have, anyway, so I don't mind.

@BlackLagoon: @SirOptimusPrime: @Vegetable_Side_Dish: Again, it wasn't to do with region locking, but rather the 50hz video output capability required by PAL PSOne Classics. I came across huge problems when trying to get my NTSC PS3 to play PAL PSOne Classics and I was wondering whether or not I would come across the same problems here. Thankfully, I didn't though.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By BlackLagoon

@mandude: Never mentioned region locking. My point was that all Vitas are the same. Same hardware, same firmware. Since they added the ability to play PAL PSOne titles for EU customers, it will be there on all other Vitas in the rest of the world.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mandude

@BlackLagoon: Yeah, I was mainly talking to the other guys on that one. That's what I would have assumed, but my PS3 is certainly not the same as the one I have back home.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.