Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Cleaning the Vita screen

Groof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Groof

So I've had my Vita for almost a year now, and as stupid as I was I never bought a screen protector. Even though I've tried to keep it fairly clean, some smudges just won't go away no matter what I've tried. Granted, I haven't really tried much anyhow. Either way, what's a good way to clean it more thoroughly and do you recommend getting a screen protector this far in?

Thanks duders!

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jayjonesjunior

Have you tried water? you just have to be extra cautious.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mwng

I tend to use cheapy window cleaner (it's like water but evaporates quicker, so it doesn't leave marks) and a glasses cloth.

And it's never too late to get a screen protector, I'd much rather replace one of them than the Vita screen. Suggest not going really cheap, the better quality ones are hardly noticeable once applied.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By TechHits

@Groof: use a micro fiber cloth, the kind you use for eye glasses or computer screens. Don't use paper towel or toilet paper, especially if you don't have a screen protector as it will cause tiny scratches in the screen.

Also yes you should get a screen protector, it's always worth it.

Groof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Groof

Yeah, I've been using a micro fiber cloth for most of my cleaning (forgot to mention that), but like I said there are still some smudges that refuse to go away... But I'll definitely look into getting a screen protector. Thanks for the replies, guys!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By alistercat

I never use screen protectors on anything. I'd rather scratch it.

Groof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Groof

@AlisterCat: I know what you mean, don't use one on my phone and don't use one on my tablet, but I guess I'm just a lot more scared about this device getting hurt, heh.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

Grow a luxurious olde-timey beard and rub your face all over the screen. Bonus points for wearing a top hat.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sooty

Buy a cheap screen cleaning solution like Dr. Magic.

I don't really see the point in a case or screen protector for the Vita, with a phone I can understand it because you actually walk around while using those, but you don't walk around while playing a Vita so it's less likely to get scratched, just put it in a slip case when going in bags and such.

@mwng said:

I tend to use cheapy window cleaner (it's like water but evaporates quicker, so it doesn't leave marks) and a glasses cloth.

And it's never too late to get a screen protector, I'd much rather replace one of them than the Vita screen. Suggest not going really cheap, the better quality ones are hardly noticeable once applied.

I dunno what kind of situation you guys are getting into with a Vita where scratching the screen is possible. Playing on a couch, on a train, a plane, in a car? How can you scratch it?! It should always be protected in bags with a slip case or something, but otherwise I just don't see the point in total screen protection. Don't leave it in a place where someone might drop keys on it or something and there's no issue, I put mine at the back of a drawer when not being used.

and screen protectors really won't do much if you drop the thing, so again, how can you scratch the screen so bad when you're probably sitting stationary while using it?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail

@AlisterCat said:

What?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sooty

@Snail said:

@AlisterCat said:

What?

Probably because screen protectors often bubble or make the screen look dimmer, and cleaning them is usually annoying.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Ravenlight

Grow a luxurious olde-timey beard and rub your face all over the screen. Bonus points for wearing a top hat.

But be careful not to use your mutton chops. They aren't as down-soft as I'm sure your beard is and they will scratch the screen. Use only slow, circular motions of the chin, keeping your monocle chain secure so as to not tangle in your beard or hit the screen.
    Groof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Groof

@Ravenlight said:

The beard is halfway done ;)

@Sooty said:

I don't really see the point in a case or screen protector for the Vita, with a phone I can understand it because you actually walk around while using those, but you don't walk around while playing a Vita so it's less likely to get scratched, just put it in a slip case when going in bags and such.

@mwng said:

I dunno what kind of situation you guys are getting into with a Vita where scratching the screen is possible. Playing on a couch, on a train, a plane, in a car? How can you scratch it?! It should always be protected in bags with a slip case or something, but otherwise I just don't see the point in total screen protection. Don't leave it in a place where someone might drop keys on it or something and there's no issue, I put mine at the back of a drawer when not being used.

and screen protectors really won't do much if you drop the thing, so again, how can you scratch the screen so bad when you're probably sitting stationary while using it?

I dunno, nails and shit? Sometimes screens seem to scratch for the hell of it. The screen protector is for the extra protection, probably due to all the shit that's stuck on your fingers. I barely use them, anyway so I don't know.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

@MariachiMacabre said:

But be careful not to use your mutton chops. They aren't as down-soft as I'm sure your beard is and they will scratch the screen. Use only slow, circular motions of the chin, keeping your monocle chain secure so as to not tangle in your beard or hit the screen.

Followed for that one xD

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sooty

@Groof said:

@Ravenlight said:

The beard is halfway done ;)

@Sooty said:

@mwng said:

I dunno, nails and shit? Sometimes screens seem to scratch for the hell of it. The screen protector is for the extra protection, probably due to all the shit that's stuck on your fingers. I barely use them, anyway so I don't know.

If your nails are scratching Vita screens then:

1) Trim your nails you bloody oaf.

2) Those kind of scratches will be invisible when the screen is on and probably not noticeable unless you put your eye to the screen and hold it under light at an angle, these really aren't worth using a screen protector for.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snail

@Sooty said:

@Snail said:

@AlisterCat said:

What?

Probably because screen protectors often bubble or make the screen look dimmer, and cleaning them is usually annoying.

I think if you apply them properly air bubbles shouldn't be a problem, and screen protectors that don't really worsen the quality of the image by any significant measure are easy to come by. Even if you don't like them saying that you'd rather have your screen scratched is just plain silly.

Groof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Groof

@Sooty said:

If your nails are scratching Vita screens then:

1) Trim your nails you bloody oaf.

Why cut your nails when you can play a video game?

I cut my nails on a regular basis

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By alistercat

@Snail said:

@Sooty said:

@Snail said:

@AlisterCat said:

What?

I think if you apply them properly air bubbles shouldn't be a problem, and screen protectors that don't really worsen the quality of the image by any significant measure are easy to come by. Even if you don't like them saying that you'd rather have your screen scratched is just plain silly.

No. I pay for the design. I would rather my iPhone break than put a case or screen protector on it. Foolish if you aren't careful, but I am. Same with Vita or anything else. I don't want to compromise the design or clarity of the screen in any way.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snail

@AlisterCat said:

@Snail said:

@Sooty said:

@Snail said:

@AlisterCat said:

What?

No. I pay for the design. I would rather my iPhone break than put a case or screen protector on it. Foolish if you aren't careful, but I am. Same with Vita or anything else. I don't want to compromise the design or clarity of the screen in any way.

I kind of get that you like the design of your products so much that you don't want to put covers on them, but screen protectors? There are screen protectors that are hardly noticeable. Like, you almost have to squint at the edges of the screen to notice it's there.

Then again, I guess it's not hard to imagine how someone could be a freak for the industrial pristine quality these products bear when they're untouched. Props to you if you actually manage to keep them immaculately undamaged.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By TechHits

@AlisterCat said:

I'm guessing you never leave the house with your vita.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By alistercat

@TechHits: I do not. I play handhelds around the house and in bed. I think it's an insane idea to try and play Persona 4 in short bursts on a bus ride or something.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GooieGreen

@AlisterCat said:

@TechHits: I do not. I play handhelds around the house and in bed. I think it's an insane idea to try and play Persona 4 in short bursts on a bus ride or something.

But aren't insane ideas in the spirit of Persona?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.