Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Copying JUST save games?

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jedted

If you own the digital version of a Vita game and you want to back up your saves is there no way just copy the save files to your PC? Copying the whole 3gb game file every time i want to back up my saves could get rather tedious.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GooieGreen

I haven't looked at the PC back-up in a while, but I thought that you could (at least) back your saves up through PS+ or through the PS3 content manager (the latter of which I am less sure of).

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jesterroyal

Only way to back up ps3 saves and just the saves is ps+ from what I can tell. Kinda stinks.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

I would assume you could do it with the content manager and the PS3 or a PC? I haven't actually tried that, though. I tend to just throw my saves up into the PS+ Cloud when I need to free up memory card space from digital games.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jesterroyal

@SotoSaki: You can not back up saves alone to PC. Same is true for the ps3. Not sure why.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GooieGreen

@jesterroyal: REALLY? That does seem stupid. Although I hope it isn't a "LOL PAY FOR PS+, PLZ" angle, it works as an excuse to do invest.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By BlackLagoon

@GooieGreen: It's probably to make it harder to manipulate the save games. Hacked save games are typically the easiest way to crack a console.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GooieGreen

@BlackLagoon: Basically the only thing I could come up with. Sony was pretty big on locking the Vita down as much as they could to ensure people weren't manipulating data, running unauthorized programs, or stealing all our gil, bottle caps, or bolts.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Jedted

When i copied P4G to my PC there's a folder where the save file is located(one large file and 2 1kb files). I'm wondering if i just deleted everything in the 'App' folder, could i still use those save files if i re-downloaded the game?

I don't like throwing my saves up into the cloud, i always worry about what if the server crashes those saves get lost.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GooieGreen

To that end, you could worry about your console or PC HDD eating it hard, which are likely as vulnerable. What are odds that you'll not only lose your Vita/damage the save data locally AND have the cloud data go down at the same time? Although nothing will last forever, and data can be easily lost in the grand scheme of things, the probability of losing BOTH local and cloud data isn't all that high.

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind

@jesterroyal said:

Only way to back up ps3 saves and just the saves is ps+ from what I can tell. Kinda stinks.

No it depends on the game, it is up to the developer if they let you copy saves to a usb stick or not.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jesterroyal

@Fire_Of_The_Wind said:

@jesterroyal said:

No it depends on the game, it is up to the developer if they let you copy saves to a usb stick or not.

Oops. Meant PSV.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Jedted said:

I don't like throwing my saves up into the cloud, i always worry about what if the server crashes those saves get lost.

Even the most measly webhost has redundant backups. I'd say your saves are much safer on Sony's servers then they are on your PC.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Grissefar

@jesterroyal said:

@SotoSaki: You can not back up saves alone to PC. Same is true for the ps3. Not sure why.

I don't get it. You can copy a save to a USB at least on the PS3, thus backing it up?

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jesterroyal

@Grissefar: The ps3 comment was more about what gooie was talking about. Not a stand alone statement for ps3 games. You cant use the pc or the ps3 content manager to back up vita save games. Only PS+.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.