Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Crossplatform online play and Battlefield 3 for Vita?

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jgf

Hi Bombers,

what do you think are the chances of getting BF3 for vita? I would love to play it on this platform, but as the game came out some time ago and the estimated number of units that can be sold is quite low (at least for a franchise like bf3) I can't really see it coming :(

But I just can't stop thinking about how cool it would be if they allow online play together with the ps3 players over psn. At least theres the option of remote play when a ps3 is around.

That brings me to a more general question of online play with the vita. Natually the install base of a new and quite pricey console will be low, so the number of online players will be even lower. Wouldn't it be a smart move of sony if they allowed cross platform online play between ps3 and psn? Or am I living in a cave and this has already been announced?

McGrittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By McGrittles

It will never come out on the Vita, plus why would you want to play that on a 5 inch screen

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By jgf

First of I expect the screen to be very nice. At least this is commonly reported about the vita. So I have two strong points going for the vita against ps3/360.

1. I'm travelling quite a bit. When you stay in a hotel for about a week I would like to play "real" games at the evenings in my room. I could take a console with me and connect it to the hotel tv, but that has 2 major disadvantages: I would have to carry a lot of stuff and in many countries the tv you find in hotel rooms does not really qualify for a supreme gaming experience.

2. I'm able to play games while sitting on the couch together with my girl friend watching tv. So no discussion about gaming vs tv anymore ;)

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By kindgineer

I would be neat to see BF3 release on the Vita but I just don't see it happening. There really is no market for it.

JaguarCRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By JaguarCRO

I think the breadth of titles for the Vita by 3rd Parties has not been determined yet. If as I have heard it is quite easy (relatively speaking) to produce a PS Vita version after developers produce a PS3 version and they think they can get more money out of it, then I think it will happen.

I wouldn't predict EA to be the first to try, but I could easily see a Collector's edition that includes a PS Vita version along with the PS3. I think Sony will set the stage with titles like Warrior's Lair and Motorstorm RC as they are both PS3 and PS Vita Titles in one combined download. Pricing will be key here. What would you be wiling to pay for getting both a PS3 and PS Vita version? Or if you already purchased the PS3 version what would you pay to add on a Vita version via download?

bslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By bslayer

I actually got play one and I don't think BF3 will come to the system. As for cross-platform play, your wish has been granted. Compatible games can be played against/with ps3 players, as well as cross-platform saves (which is essentially save your game on one platform and pickup where you left off with the other). As for the screen, it's very sharp. The 5 inches is a nice size and the touch-screen works VERY well. The rear-touch pad takes some getting used to, however.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Etnos

I'm actually looking forward for a Vita FPS Multiplayer, Killzone, Battlefield or COD will do!

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Shakezula84
    @jgf I don't think BF3 is coming sadly, but I bet the next Battlefield will hit the Vita too.

As for cross platform play, I think it will be a while before third parties jump all over this. The open nature of PSN isn't always beneficial to game companies, and adding an extra layer of server programing to allow Vita games to join in (when they could have been doing this with PC, a far bigger and established gamer base) may not happen.

Unless of course Sony gives companies a credit of some sort (like free advertising) to games that do this, I think Sony (and maybe EA since they already pay for their own servers) will be it for supporters.

And I know your question wasn't about game saves (but everyone is bringing it up) but with games supposedly being easy to port down from PS3 to Vita I think well see a lot of carry over with that in the future. And if its cheap to do, I can see collectors editions being bundled with Vita versions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.