Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Details on Dumping Your Soon Useless UMDs Soon

• 74 results
    patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By patrick

@huntad said:

Or, I could just keep my PSP and play the UMDs on there. Why would I want them digitally? So they could take up all the space on my Vita? That doesn't make any sense. Do people own UMDs that don't own PSPs? All I have are questions!

So you don't have to deal with switching discs, like cavemen. Or having to lug them around with you. Or worry about breaking them. Or carrying your PSP when you have a Vita. Digital copies don't have to sit in your storage indefinitely, that's the beauty of the internets.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Daroki

@metalsnakezero said:

Whatever, if I can have the whole Persona series on my Vita I'll gladly pay for them again.

You're pretty close. Between SMT: Persona, P2: Innocent Sin, P3P and P4: The Golden, the only one missing is Eternal Punishment.

Hell, I'd be shocked if Sentai didn't put P4: The Animation up on PSN at some point, and with a premium membership you could download mobile versions of the Endurance Run, giving you more Persona than a Vita can handle. ;)

Vaancor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By Vaancor

Other then a few RPGs and maybe Lumines 2, I'm not sure it'll be worth the hassle. Kudos to Sony if they DO do this however.

Two big problems I see though? 1. You're gonna need more memory and those propitiatory memory sticks are gonna be uber expensive. 2. Most of my collection is RPGs (Half the reason to own the PSP right there, if you like JRPGs) and several being from Square-Enix. Square's well known for not playing ball with digital downloads.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By nintendoeats

You don't get 1000 games by sending things back.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By huntad

@patrick said:

@huntad said:

Or, I could just keep my PSP and play the UMDs on there. Why would I want them digitally? So they could take up all the space on my Vita? That doesn't make any sense. Do people own UMDs that don't own PSPs? All I have are questions!

So you don't have to deal with switching discs, like cavemen. Or having to lug them around with you. Or worry about breaking them. Or carrying your PSP when you have a Vita. Digital copies don't have to sit in your storage indefinitely, that's the beauty of the internets.

If I have to keep downloading and redownloading files that are over 1 or 2 gigs, then how is it worth it? I doubt cavemen would be better off waiting to download and play their games when they have them right on disc.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By kerse

Honestly a pretty nice deal, most other systems just go fuck your old games when they lose compatibility, but at the same time, charging you for games you already own is still a little lame. I guess we'll have to wait and see what these "special prices" really are.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Zabant

They should honestly just sell UMD readers that turn the disc into a playable ISO for your vita. At this point who gives a flying fuck about UMD sales and resale value?

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Shakezula84

You don't already own the digital versions of the game, and im really getting tired of this entitlement that gamers feel.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By yukoasho

See, if they were offering to trade in the UMDs for Vita flash cards, I'd be down. As digital purchases, not so much.

BigMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By BigMike

@konig_kei: And this is why we can't have nice things.

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By patrick

@huntad said:

@patrick said:

@huntad said:

If I have to keep downloading and redownloading files that are over 1 or 2 gigs, then how is it worth it? I doubt cavemen would be better off waiting to download and play their games when they have them right on disc.

Then that's just your preference and playing habits holding you back. It's no different than the methodology of any other digital distribution service.

Starclopsofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Starclopsofish

An idea I had a while back was that Sony could sell (or maybe just distribute to retailers) an external UMD drive that read the disc, determined what game it was, then applied some kind of rod that would scratch the disc thoroughly, rendering it unplayable. It would then spit out a download code for that game on PSN.

This way, you avoid having to send your UMDs through snail mail, ($$$+time) and cavemen like me who like lining up my games on the shelf could keep the case, manual, and even the game (no worries about selling it- it's useless at this point).

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By huntad

@patrick said:

@huntad said:

@patrick said:

@huntad said:

Then that's just your preference and playing habits holding you back. It's no different than the methodology of any other digital distribution service.

You're assuming a lot about my gaming habits and the reasons for them, which is fine and I won't condemn you for it, but you have to understand that hard drive space is a huge concern for portable platforms and far more than consoles. Methodology and habits are not the only factors that hold people back, although, I'm not exactly sure what you're assuming I'm being held back from, lol.

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By patrick

@huntad said:

@patrick said:

@huntad said:

@patrick said:

@huntad said:

You're assuming a lot about my gaming habits and the reasons for them, which is fine and I won't condemn you for it, but you have to understand that hard drive space is a huge concern for portable platforms and far more than consoles. Methodology and habits are not the only factors that hold people back, although, I'm not exactly sure what you're assuming I'm being held back from, lol.

Downloading content onto portable devices isn't anything new, nor is games onto portable devices. Downloading PSP games to a PSP is already well established. You've pointed out that you're already anticipating specifically redownloading files which isn't a common issue brought up and takes a far back seat to PSN issues in general. Your specific reasons are irrelevant if whatever your habits are lead you to finding yourself having to wholesale swap between different groups of games.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By huntad

@patrick: You know what, you win. I don't know if that's what you want, but we are not on the same page. I still think that downloading those PSP games onto a Vita is a huge problem and doesn't make any sense, and you obviously don't agree or understand the memory issues that take a far more prominent seat than swapping games, but are all still related. Fine by me. If you want to keep replying then feel free, but I won't read them, because this is literally going nowhere. Peace.

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By patrick

@huntad said:

@patrick: You know what, you win. I don't know if that's what you want, but we are not on the same page. I still think that downloading those PSP games onto a Vita is a huge problem and doesn't make any sense, and you obviously don't agree or understand the memory issues that take a far more prominent seat than swapping games, but are all still related. Fine by me. If you want to keep replying then feel free, but I won't read them, because this is literally going nowhere. Peace.

PSP games on PSN already exist, you keep hovering over this discussion as if it's some kind of hypothetical. Nothing about this system is new. If the common sentiment mirrored anything close to what you're insinuating, Sony would have pulled the plug years ago, instead they've already gone the complete opposite direction and release games exclusively on it without any kind of physical alternative. If you don't want to acknowledge actual arguments for either the reason that you've made up your mind or don't want to admit your preferences and habbits make you a different kind of consumer, then that's on yourself.

Pingwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#67  Edited By Pingwing

Sony's English Vita FAQ implies that some UMD's will go to download, some will go to the new Vita card format, and some (third-party) won't go anywhere due to copyright/legal issues. No mention of price.

It also says they have no plans to make a UMD "reader".

I'm really interested to see what they do with old titles and dual analog support. Or (if only) up-res'ing. (Not just scaling and smoothing--a true 2x up-res'ing.)

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By mariokart64fan

i am very disappointed in sony, -they still cant get the important things down ,

batterylife on max = 3 hours at best , and beware as battery gets old , it ll die even faster , and it takes 3 hours to charge it only takes my 3ds 1 hour -2 hours at most from a dead state to get enough charge for what i do , and the 3ds max life is 5 hours on min is 8 ,

2 pricing of games this has been confirmed in japan at least games range from 49-72 dollars, im betting itll be 59.99 us dollars

3 games games games, - the only 3 good looking titles judging by previous entires i played is ridge racer uncaharted and asphalt ,

im not interisted in new ips , especally if they end up like lair , ---full of promises that they broken ,

also console ports ==== nope sorry , i dont expect sony to live up to expectations, -its just gonna see port after port after port , and il lwait for a 00 7 title for it if thats the case , cause cal lof duty just is lame

also vitas bc is garbage ,. making us pay for our old games again , its like dvd from vhs making us buy old movies we already own a gain ,

so no thanks , ill just pick up the system let it eat dust until 007 gets released or some other game of the 3 i listed ,

i have no good plans for vita , 3ds is serving me very good has been since i bought it , i dont see a single problem with the thing , since i hardly play games outside my house, i dont really need a vita ,

especally with wii--U around the corner as for bc i could care less i got a psp 3000 with very little games to begin with,

psp was one of those wasted investments, i regret even owning it, i should have waited til i found one for like 40 bucks used at the local pawn like i did for genesis and other unpopular consoles ,

YoungBuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By YoungBuck

smh at buying any movie for a handheld.

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#70  Edited By BoringK

I think putting "details" in the title of this article might've been a little misleading.

Enigma_2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Enigma_2099

... I'm just gonna wait until PSPs go on clearance, and buy a few more so I can keep playing my games.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#72  Edited By MeatSim

I hope that discount is a big one.

Keith_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Keith_Games

Nothing like having a physical game around still though as oddly as that sounds to some of you. I'm picky about what psp games I have purchased since the momentum of the handheld slowed down but I still find myself trying to get a cheap copy of a psp game rather than just download it.

seakae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By seakae

There are only maybe a couple games for the PSP that I'd like to revisit with the Vita. And I don't really see them being super expensive, so I think I'll just hold onto the UMDs for collection purposes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.