Do I need PS+ when I buy a Vita?

#1 Posted by Artof_War (116 posts) -

I have a PS3. I'm interested in getting a Vita, but do I need PS+ to make it worthwhile since it lacks a strong library of new games? I really want to play Persona 4: Golden, sigh.

#2 Posted by BisonHero (5653 posts) -

@Artof_War said:

I have a PS3. I'm interested in getting a Vita, but do I need PS+ to make it worthwhile since it lacks a strong library of new games? I really want to play Persona 4: Golden, sigh.

Dropping the $50 on PS+ gets you basically everything worth owning on Vita right now except for Assassin's Creed, and all that stuff would normally cost more than $50. So yeah, I'd recommend it, especially when you'll also be getting all the stuff for your PSP.

PS+ is basically worth it for all people who own a Vita or PS3 unless you have very specific tastes in games and hate everything else.

#3 Posted by Shirogane (3559 posts) -

If you're going to have both a Vita and a PS3, there's really no reason not to get PS+. You don't NEED to get it, but it is a really good deal.

#4 Posted by Elbon (366 posts) -

I've being think about getting a tablet, but like Artof_War I really want persona 4 golden. The one thing that might sway me is how good is netflix on the vita?

#5 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

I would say start with the three month thing and see for yourself how much use you get out of it.

#6 Posted by Artof_War (116 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Artof_War said:

Dropping the $50 on PS+ gets you basically everything worth owning on Vita right now except for Assassin's Creed, and all that stuff would normally cost more than $50. So yeah, I'd recommend it, especially when you'll also be getting all the stuff for your PSP.

PS+ is basically worth it for all people who own a Vita or PS3 unless you have very specific tastes in games and hate everything else.

Do you know where I could find a list of the free games available to PS+ subscribers (for both VITA and PS3)?

#7 Posted by Artof_War (116 posts) -

@hughesman said:

I would say start with the three month thing and see for yourself how much use you get out of it.

Looks like it's $17.99 on Amazon. Would I have to pay the full $50 to get the rest of the year, or will they subtract out my 3-month purchase?

#8 Posted by BisonHero (5653 posts) -

@Artof_War said:

@BisonHero said:

@Artof_War said:

Do you know where I could find a list of the free games available to PS+ subscribers (for both VITA and PS3)?

There's probably an official thing somewhere, but I know this guy seems to regularly post the current stuff you get on PS+.

http://www.giantbomb.com/playstation-plus/92-5817/playstation-plus-in-december-na-bioshock-2/35-569327/

#9 Posted by Narx (163 posts) -

Right now you can get Uncharted Golden Abyss and Wipeout 2048 which together are worth more than 50$. There's also quite a lot of ps3 games + cloud saves.

But don't forget! You cannot play the games you got for free if you stop subscribing!

#10 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

@Artof_War: Pretty sure you would just have to wait out the three month then change you subscription to a full year if you wanted to keep it. Might not be a bad idea to wait few months anyway and see how you feel about the free stuff your getting. Also look around on amazon there may be a cheap game you want that comes with a month trial of playstation plus.

#11 Posted by Heltom92 (693 posts) -

PS+ is definitely worth it. Uncharted is a good game, better than Jeff gives it credit for imo. It also gets better once Sully shows up.

#12 Posted by AlisterCat (5396 posts) -

I would recommend it. I own a vita, persona 4 and playstation plus. It's all I really need.

#13 Posted by AlisterCat (5396 posts) -

Oh, I have a month trial code if you want it.

#14 Posted by SMTDante89 (2470 posts) -

It's not an absolute necessity, but I think it's worth it. To answer your above question, if you decide partway through your 3-month subscription that you'd like to sub up for a year, you still have to pay $50, but the full year is added to what time you have left on your account.

#15 Edited by BlackLagoon (1321 posts) -

@Artof_War said:

Would I have to pay the full $50 to get the rest of the year, or will they subtract out my 3-month purchase?

All your PS Plus time stacks, so if you pay for a full year it's simply added to your current subscription.

#16 Posted by Artof_War (116 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

Oh, I have a month trial code if you want it.

That would be awesome!

#17 Posted by Artof_War (116 posts) -

@BisonHero: Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Too bad I already have LBP2. The Vita games are great though. Not sure why I haven't considered PS+ until now.

#18 Posted by Spoonman671 (4369 posts) -

If you plan on playing Persona 4 first, then you might want to hold off on the PS+ subscription. My reasoning behind this is that Persona is a long game and if you only get a 3-month subscription, or a free 1-month, then you'll spend most of that time playing Persona and not enjoying the free games that will no longer be available once your subscription is up. If you're getting a full year of PS+ then it probably doesn't matter.

#19 Posted by mosespippy (3725 posts) -

@Artof_War: I'm working on a year end analysis of PS+ and I've been running some numbers. So far in 2012 there have been 82 free games totalling a value of $1005 CAD and 163GB of files for the Canadian PS+ service. I haven't ran the numbers for Europe yet or looked up US pricing but I'd say it's a good deal.

#20 Posted by GooieGreen (452 posts) -

You might as well, at the very least, pay for the 3 month or use a 1 month trial. That way you can get these games in your download list and have them there when you re-up. Unless you're the type of person to stay on top of the "last chance" announcements for PS+, you might end up missing out on Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and the lot.

I just joined recently and it has been worth it, even if I never touch the slew of fighting games they've put on there. I'm waiting for Persona and PS All-Stars, however even when I get them I will still have plenty of time to complete those other games. Besides, there are offers that come out on PS+ in terms of discounts for PS3 and PSV that help to make up for any money spent on the service. It is a huge value, so why not start building up your library of games now? Even though they might not be games you'd pay for, they're probably games you wouldn't mind playing.

#21 Posted by GunGunW (60 posts) -

I don't have it and I own a Vita. My memory card isn't large enough to fit all those games on it anyway. Maybe if I had a bigger one

#22 Posted by GooieGreen (452 posts) -

@GunGunW: I have a 32GB card and it has been the best purchase I made... albeit an expensive one. I still say you add them to your list of downloads and put whatever fits on there.

For the record, the file sizes for some of these games:

Wipeout 2048: 2374MB

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!!!: 260MB

Uncharted: Golden Abyss: 3067MB

Gravity Rush: 1459MB

Jet Set Radio: 1107MB

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions: 195MB** based off of the download list number, not the install number like the other games.

Uncharted is without a doubt the least reasonable game to download, but even if you downloaded and deleted some games (and backed up your saves to the cloud), you shouldn't have any problems even with the 4GB card.

#23 Posted by captain_clayman (3299 posts) -

get PS+ now so you can pick up all those freebies!

#24 Posted by Lava (626 posts) -

Totally worth it. I already had it on my PS3 and when it came to Vita it was a big money saver. I had two of the games already but downloading the other stuff made it really worth it. PS+ is just a fantastic deal. And with the very limited library that the Vita has already I imagine the ones that people want will slowly make their ways to the instant game collection before long. I'm pretty sure the list updates every month.

#25 Posted by mr187uk (120 posts) -

Yes,

#26 Posted by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

If you buy a Vita, you might as well go with this one. $300 for a 3G/Wi-Fi Vita with a voucher for a year of PS+, a voucher for Unit 13 and a 4GB memory card is a pretty good deal.

#27 Posted by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

@Elbon: I haven't used Netflix but the screen is gorgeous dude. I use YouTube on my Vita and the videos look great. Don't know if that would persuade you or not so take that as you will. I'm sure it plays stuff on Netflix great though.

#28 Posted by csl316 (7333 posts) -

PS+ has been awesome since I signed up over the summer. Just looking at my library, it's so much good stuff. As for Vita, they really do give you most of the stuff worth owning from earlier in the year.

#29 Edited by Artof_War (116 posts) -

@GooieGreen: Why are the memory cards so expensive? $79.99 for the 32gb right now on Amazon, which I suppose is better than the list price of $99.99. If it's reasonable to manage with a 4gb, or shall I say micromanage, then I might do it at least for the first few months.

#30 Posted by RustySanderke (117 posts) -

@GooieGreen said:

@GunGunW: I have a 32GB card and it has been the best purchase I made... albeit an expensive one. I still say you add them to your list of downloads and put whatever fits on there.

For the record, the file sizes for some of these games:

Wipeout 2048: 2374MB

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!!!: 260MB

Uncharted: Golden Abyss: 3067MB

Gravity Rush: 1459MB

Jet Set Radio: 1107MB

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions: 195MB** based off of the download list number, not the install number like the other games.

Uncharted is without a doubt the least reasonable game to download, but even if you downloaded and deleted some games (and backed up your saves to the cloud), you shouldn't have any problems even with the 4GB card.

I'm guessing those are the compressed download file sizes. Checking the size of Uncharted on my Vita it says 3432 MB.

#31 Posted by BlackLagoon (1321 posts) -

@Artof_War said:

Why are the memory cards so expensive?

Because Sony probably isn't keen on bleeding money on hardware sales like they did with the PS3, and this is a compromise rather than just increasing the price on Vita itself. Any way, it sucks, but once you've got one, you don't need to think about it any more, and it doesn't really take that many months worth of Plus content before you've compensated for the cost of the card.

#32 Posted by NegativeCero (2924 posts) -

Honestly I haven't played the free games I got with my PS+ because I'm playing PS1 games of all things. I also haven't touched P4G in a while, so I'm weird I guess.

#33 Edited by Ducksworth (656 posts) -

Heck even if you don't have a Vita yet get a PS+ membership and "purchase" all the PS3 stuff as well as the Vita offers.

#34 Edited by gla55jAw (2682 posts) -

I would say it is necessary for Vita, at least for a month or 3 (whatever the lowest subscription is; I know the Journey Collector's Edition comes with a month of PS+). I just picked up a Vita (mostly because of the PS+ games) last week. Assassin's bundle from GameStop with a free copy of Spy Hunter. Case on sale for $20, and P4. Then picked up a 32GB card from Best Buy, which just went on sale today, so I'll get $20 back. That being said, I took advantage of Game Stop's huge trade in deals last week that just ended. Walked out of Game Stop only paying $5, $85 total for everything, after the card.

I went on a rant, but it is definitely worth it for PS3 alone, the Vita stuff is a good reason to buy a Vita. I would say decide soon though. Not sure when those deals are being taken off.

#35 Posted by MetalBaofu (1263 posts) -

@Artof_War: I check this blog to know what is coming up. They post an update every Monday with what will be added to PS+ that week.

#36 Posted by GunGunW (60 posts) -

@GooieGreen: Of course Uncharted is the least reasonable to download, I have the actual copy of the game, lol. Although I don't feel like only downloading what I can fit on there, especially when I have very, very little left on there anyway and don't want to delete my other things like my PSP games saved on there. If I had a bigger memory card then maybe. But the Vita memory cards are over priced. I got mine for free with the bundle I got when I bought it.

#37 Posted by GooieGreen (452 posts) -

@RustySanderke: I pulled that info from my Vita but perhaps because I didn't use Content Manager to look that up that it was different info? Strange. I used the wiggle menu.

@GunGunW: waiting wouldn't be an unwise call. I feel like I have less of a handle on what Sony is going to do next with the Vita than I did a few months ago.

#38 Posted by DedBeet (226 posts) -

@Artof_War said:

I'm starting to see PS+ as essential whether you own a PS3 or a Vita, it offers so much value. At this point, I can't imagine doing without it.

#39 Posted by JudgeDread (570 posts) -

PS + for live yo!

#40 Posted by PhilipDuck (523 posts) -

No.. but for the price of it you might aswell just have it..

#41 Edited by Amakakeruhiruyunohirameki (63 posts) -

It's up to you if you will purchase it or not. I suggest you buy cheap games since most of the PS+ subscribers pointing out that it's like renting the free game. I suggest if you want more games with cheaper price wait for the holiday sales since it is month of December lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.