Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Do you think PSVITA sales will do better this year?

sackperson532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By sackperson532

hmmmm am not sure, there is only 2 games i liked on vita in the whole of 2012, and they are LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted.

sackperson532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sackperson532

hmmmm am not sure, there is only 2 games i liked on vita in the whole of 2012, and they are LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dichemstys

I don't really know what's coming out for the Vita this year but that's pretty much what it comes down to, right? Sony's pretty much proven that great hardware alone doesn't move units.

sackperson532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sackperson532

A new killzone is comeing out for vita, i think that will be quite good.

Deadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Deadbutt

The PS Vita just came out last year, so of course it will do better.

I still need to pick up Persona 4 and Uncharted

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

Persona 4 Golden?

Yeah, I think it will do all right. The PSP seemed kinda dire for a while there but it came around. I wish that Sony would do better with this handheld, though.

On the subject of phone games - I don't believe that those can deliver the same kind of things that the Vita can, and if the Vita takes advantage of that - which it seems to already be doing - then I think there will be quite a crowd of people who like it. The only thing that the Vita needs is some great games.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

When I got my Vita at the start of December, there were around 20 people "Near" me fairly consistently, now that number is up to 80, I still don't really know how Near works, but clearly this first Christmas was a big boost for Vita hardware.

I'll bet the big E3 announcement for Vita will be the addition of PS2 library on PSN for Vita now that Sony isn't selling PS2 consoles in Japan anymore.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

Lower the price and boom.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By thebunnyhunter

They will sell at least one more......to me. But yeah I can see if they lower the price to 200 or even 180 like the 3ds they'd do better, much better.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By DarthOrange

If they lower the price and/or release a model with internal memory, it will do waaaay better.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By awesomeusername

Maybe. It's quite good the way it is but a whole new year is here. They have some more games coming out like Tearaway, Killzone, and Soul Sacrifice. On top of that, they have the Cross-Buy function which is great. I have Sound Shapes on both my Vita & PS3. More games like Guacamelee and Sly Cooper 4 having Cross-Buy is just a pass in my book. I mean, who wouldn't want to play their console games on the go?! Also, you can expect more apps to be coming to the Vita and more firmware updates. So it should sell more units.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sanity

Hard to say, my hopes aren't high for it as i think the 3DS already has a strong libary while the Vita is struggling to get good games. Theres some good stuff on the Vita dont get me wrong but me personally besides Persona 4 i dont see nothing that stands out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
    deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope so, just got mine.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Hizang
    @awesomeusername

Maybe. It's quite good the way it is but a whole new year is here. They have some more games coming out like Tearaway, Killzone, and Soul Sacrifice. On top of that, they have the Cross-Buy function which is great. I have Sound Shapes on both my Vita & PS3. More games like Guacamelee and Sly Cooper 4 having Cross-Buy is just a pass in my book. I mean, who wouldn't want to play their console games on the go?! Also, you can expect more apps to be coming to the Vita and more firmware updates. So it should sell more units.

Playing console games in the go is the reason the PSP did wrong, if I want to play a console game I'll play it on my console.
    OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OfficeGamer

From what I understand the VITA was a messy disappointment right? Slow interface and lots of PS3-esque updates. Not to mention that it doesn't have many original games?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By nightriff

I hope so, I really love the system and want to see more games come out

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlackLagoon

It's hard to know how it will do saleswise, but one thing rather remarkable thing that has happened is the online buzz practically doing a full 180 turn. Not that long ago just about any Vita thread on your average video game forum would be dominated by people declaring it dead, saying it has no games and that the 3DS is superior...

But since the big batch of games in October, and then Sony launching PS Plus and doing lots of bundles, things have changed. Now Vita threads tend to be full of Vita owners happy with their purchase, and you can actually have genuine discussion surrounding it. Hopefully it will encourage more people to take the plunge.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hunkulese
    @dudy80

Hard to say, my hopes aren't high for it as i think the 3DS already has a strong libary while the Vita is struggling to get good games. Theres some good stuff on the Vita dont get me wrong but me personally besides Persona 4 i dont see nothing that stands out.

I don't really see how the 3ds lineup is substantially stronger if at all. Both systems only have a handful of great games and the Vita has more than enough pretty good games to satisfy you for a while.
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Xeiphyer

I picked a Vita up in the end of 2012. That PSN+ deal on the games is awesome, especially if you have a PS3 as well.

Basically, they need to announce Monster Hunter for Vita, and then sales will explode. The fact that Sony didn't get exclusive rights to Monster Hunter and have it as a launch game is just fucking incredibly dumb. That game literally kept the PSP afloat and created a cultural phenomenon. It aint rocket science Sony.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By crusader8463

They just need games. I got persona 4 and the free stuff that came with PS+, but I have literally not heard a single thing coming out on the vita in the future that has done anything for me. The 3DS is in worse shape in my eyes, as I have had the thing for a year now and the only game I thought might have been fun turned out to be pretty boring. So I have zero games that I enjoyed on the 3DS and about 2 on the Vita plus a ton of PSX/PS2 stuff I plan to download onto it at some point.

I hope they blow this stuff out of the water at this E3, but I'm afraid those shows will be dominated by new consoles so I doubt we will see much.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By awesomeusername

@Hizang: That's your opinion though. I hate being home playing a game and then end up having to leave. So if I can grab my Vita and continue playing that game, I would be more then happy. Plus, it's good for trophy hunters like me. I won't have to use up more electricity playing my PS3 looking for collectibles and doing dumb trophy stuff.

@OfficeGamer said:

From what I understand the VITA was a messy disappointment right? Slow interface and lots of PS3-esque updates. Not to mention that it doesn't have many original games?

Probably when it came out it was slow. But updates don't take long for me and there's some original games on there like Gravity Rush, Sound Shapes, Frobisher Says, Retro City Rampage, Unit 13, When Vikings Attack, Zero Escape, Ragnarok Odyssey, etc. So there's some original, good games on there.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By korolev

Well I sure hope it does better. It's a neat piece of hardware. But as others have no doubt said, it still doesn't have that many great "must-play" games. I have three games for the VITA, and I only like one of them - and it's just an updated version of a game that came out on the Playstation 2. That's messed up. Their best game was (mostly) made in 2008?

The only game for the VITA that I have even considered getting is Gravity Rush, but I'm not that excited for it.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By beepmachine

@OfficeGamer: Don't know where you heard that, but the interface is actually really fast. Especially considering you can have a ton of stuff open.

Hopefully sales will get better. I feel like Sony is waiting for sales to go up before supporting it, instead of supporting first and then getting sales as result. There are definitely good games on this thing but there's nowhere near enough to entice people yet.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Hizang

@awesomeusername: OK so some games work better than others, but when your on the bus or on the train or waiting for something outside in public. There are too many distractions to bee 100% focussed on your game. Where as at home usually you will be able to make the best environment for playing the game. Thats why I find games that are quick, simple and don't require much attention are better when I'm out. I don'r want to be watching a 20 minute Metal Gear cutscene while out in public,

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#24  Edited By Slag

The vita didn't sell because it didn't have marketing or games

if it gets even minimal marketing and even a handful of totally original exclusives, it will easily beat last year's sales, That's not saying much though

but will it be enough? I dunno. You got to wonder about the future of Vita if it continues to be this invisible.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By C0V3RT

It's going to be a tough sell if we get new consoles this year. I think a positive first step would be to drop it's price now that it's made it through the holiday season. On Black Friday, it felt like there was a lot of buzz at least on twitter about the $200 Assassins Creed Vita Bundle even though the game sounded pretty forgettable.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#26  Edited By psykhophear

I would like that very much. I love my PS Vita and I really hope third-party developers would come to their senses and start making exclusive games for the handheld. Enough of these puzzle games. We want FPS and Action/Adventure games on the PS Vita!

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By jay_ray

Well I bought one this year, so I will say yes based on my polling

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I actually really liked my Vita when I decided to buy it (I haven't even played an actual Vita game on it yet) but I've run into a point of frustration I doubt most people would really care about if they're contemplating buying it.

As someone who likes to tinker with electronics in general, Sony turned out heavily restricting certain aspects of the Vita. For one, I hear their SDK costs a pretty hefty sum. Also, the memory is a propriety flash memory (not SD) you wouldn't be able to put in just any slot and they don't even let you examine the file structure of the card! (All data/memory is handled through their proprietary Content Manager that isn't even supported in Linux; ironically, even when aspects of the Vita contain Open Source code that would never have existed without Linux.)

I feel like it would've actually been cheaper and a lot more advantageous for them as a whole if they didn't go all Apple with making everything proprietary down the media storage. This is also probably inspiring more piracy enabled by hackers who simply want to unlock features the Vita should've had available in the first place, which is highly unfortunate.

My rant aside, I think it will do okay, but I doubt it'll make great strides. Then again, the whole thing about PS+ offering a library of games for a not-so-bad subscription is probably a boon in their favor versus other portable devices.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wchigo

I really feel that Sony just dropped the ball when it came to marketing the Vita and persuading developers to make games for it. The Vita has been out for almost a year and only recently has there been any buzz about it, mostly in regards to PS+. It doesn't help matters that they priced their memory cards so high up as to put many people off buying them until they go on sale or get some kind of permanent price drop.

That being said, I do hope the Vita will do better as I have one and would not be too thrilled if I spent $300 on something that won't have any support within two years of it being released. Sony really needs to pick up the ball with this and court third-party companies to start making more games for it and potentially lowering the price. It's been on the market for a year now so a price cut would not be unreasonable and/or lower the cost of memory cards and I think there will be a jump in sales.

Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chontamenti

When the inevitable price drop comes.. it will sell better. +P4G in the EU.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Well, I'd buy the one the instant they drop the price.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldenglishc

@Kidavenger said:

When I got my Vita at the start of December, there were around 20 people "Near" me fairly consistently, now that number is up to 80, I still don't really know how Near works, but clearly this first Christmas was a big boost for Vita hardware.

I'll bet the big E3 announcement for Vita will be the addition of PS2 library on PSN for Vita now that Sony isn't selling PS2 consoles in Japan anymore.

The thought of all those great rpgs on the go makes my pants move, but I would bet outside of hd re-releases that we never see PS2 games on the Vita.

(And now I just noticed that this thread was two days old, and feel like an ass.)

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Grixxel

If I can play Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 2 on it, i'm buying it at some point this year.

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DedBeet

@Hizang said:

@awesomeusername

Playing console games in the go is the reason the PSP did wrong, if I want to play a console game I'll play it on my console.

I would think the control scheme, specifically the lack of a second analog stick, contributed more to it's problems than the types of games it offered. I find my taste in games doesn't change depending on what device I'm on and enjoyed plenty of "console" type games on my psp and vita.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DystopiaX

hinges entirely on games that they announce/come out with this year. I like mine, it's a great system- it still needs alot more software support though.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Hunkulese said:

@dudy80

I don't really see how the 3ds lineup is substantially stronger if at all. Both systems only have a handful of great games and the Vita has more than enough pretty good games to satisfy you for a while.

Pokemon X/Y, Dragon Quest VII and Monster Hunter 4. It's going to kill the Vita stone dead (at least in Japan), unless they can pull out some seriously impressive games for the thing. Which I really hope they do, I was considering buying one last year, but the future lineup isn't particularly wowing me and the price was just too high.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DystopiaX

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Hunkulese said:

@dudy80

Pokemon X/Y, Dragon Quest VII and Monster Hunter 4. It's going to kill the Vita stone dead (at least in Japan), unless they can pull out some seriously impressive games for the thing. Which I really hope they do, I was considering buying one last year, but the future lineup isn't particularly wowing me and the price was just too high.

New Fire Emblem too.

I got my Vita just for P4G but now am seriously thinking about a 3DS cause of new Pokemon (yeah I know but it still got me) and FE. Vita's got some really strong shit though- and I never had a PSP so I got a bunch of PSP games to go through too.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By algertman

Sales wise it's dead. The December numbers were horrible. 3DS almost sold 10x as much it did in America and in Japan it's worst than that on a weekly basis. Nobody is buying software for it. People need to accept this and move on. Price drop will not help and there's no software to help back it up. PS2 ports and ability to play old games is not going to cut it.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By peritus

It will probably pick up a bit, but i dont think it will become a big thing.

If only for the lack of effort Sony is putting into it, it does not inspire trust in the device if even they are barely spending time on it. ( referring to E3 )

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PatODay

I'm still on the fence about purchasing one, myself. I don't feel like there are enough games that interest me enough to justify paying the current price. It would be nice to see a price drop after E3, though I doubt that will be likely. If I buy one in the near future it will likely be an impulse buy more than anything.

ikaruga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ikaruga

I'd only pick it up if they have more games, I think sony really dropped the ball so far on getting third party support fr their system. The only game I'm interested in is P4G which I've already played. Compare that to the 3DS which has a bunch of good games already RE, Devil Survivor overclocked, mario and a lot of good upcoming games like animal crossing, monster hunter, EO 4, soul hackers, fire emblem

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.