Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Do you think the Vita has failed/tanked?

• 171 results
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#51  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@LordAndrew said:

All will be redeemed once Persona 4 Golden comes out.

Yeah. P4 Golden and a price drop might be enough for me to pick one up...but then again it might not be. Looking through the current and upcoming releases, there's very little that interests me. Where are the great turn based strategy games that justified my PSP purchase?

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By tallTuck94

It hasn't tanked but it's struggling to find its place in the market. Once a few more games are out for it I'll probably buy it.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Vexxan

I don't think it has 'failed' but I'm surprised Sony isn't doing much to avoid such a thing. I think a lot of people are disappointed that the Vita was pretty much ignored last E3.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Dunchad

It's the only console I own and I'm pretty happy with it. I never had PSP either, so there's a big backlog of games I can buy there and I am looking forward to P4G. Right now, I'm playing P3P on it, as well as Ys I & II. And I'm looking forward to the PS1 Classics - I really want to try out FFVI.

My main complaint would be in regards to PSN EU and the fact that I would need another memory card if I wanted to buy games off PSN US (not to mention the whole de/reactivation of the Vita on the different account each time I switched cards). I mean, why the fuck isn't Dracula X Chronicles available here? I'll swallow the fucked up prices (that's just EU in general), but not being able to buy some of the better games on PSN is just pissing me off.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By SmilingPig

Not yet but it will, tanks to decent 200$ tablets.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Deranged

Nah, it has some pretty great games releasing for the hand-held such as AC3: Liberation.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AgnosticJesus

I like my Vita a lot but Sony totally fucked with the memory cards. I find myself wanting more bite size DL games more then the big budget games. A few feature are kind of stupid, like the rear touchpad. All in all it's a competent system that pairs well with a 3ds.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Turambar

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Seppli said:

Depends on how it will connect to PS4. If the PS4 has a similar functionality like the WiiU, with a gamepad having a touchscreen and back-touchpad, and does stream VITA games emulation onto it - then it will be a success.

That thing for the Wii U is fucking stupid. I vote that the Wii U is the death of Nintendo home console.

Nintendo won't go from number one market share to bailing out of the console race within one generation, no matter how much you deem the WiiU to be a failure.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Turambar

Not doing well currently, will do fine within a few years. Same story as the PSP really.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By penguindust

@drac96 said:

It's way too early to say if it's failed or not.

This. Ask me next year. People were announcing the death of the 3DS at one time and it's doing just fine today. Not DS numbers, but considering the changes in market, it's performing well.

After a price drop and a more complete library, it could surprise us.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By DeF

give a platform at least a year.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Yeah it's fucked, unfortunately.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By vonFlampanker

Probably too early to tell, although the lack of enthusiasm from Sony is troubling. LBP, Tearaway, AC3, P4G and possibly a few others are starting to look pretty promising.

Since we're suggesting improvements: cheaper storage, an overhaul of the UI, and PSTwo classics support would all be very welcome. Goddamn do I hate the Vita's UI.

@Little_Socrates: Off-topic but I'm curious as to why P4G isn't for newcomers to P4. I'm looking forward to P4G and haven't played any Persona games yet (though I intend to play P3P before P4G).

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By recroulette

As a stand alone system, maybe. But it's pretty awesome complimenting the PS3.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MeierTheRed

Seems to me the general thought on the Vita is that is a pretty great machine. But the software is a bit lacking. So i wouldn't say it has tanked... at least not yet. They can still turn it around.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Levius

As a launch adopter I've enjoyed the Vita, but I'd be a liar if it hasn't been a Persona machine for me. However, while a lot has been said about iPhones, shifting markets and its positioning as a high end console contributing to its slow start; I am sceptical about these arguments. As we've seen with the 3DS, and to a smaller degree with the Japanese launch of P4G; consoles will only sell if there's games people want to play. Once, or sadly if, the games start flowing, with Sony realising that people don't want scaled down console games, the Vita should become a qualified success.

Mixwizzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Mixwizzard

It had an alright launch line-up. But it needs moar games.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Nottle

There are several PSP games i'd like to get, particularly the Persona games, and maybe some FF game.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By BiG_Weasel

It comes down to a matter of value for me. The games don't justify the price. I think once the "affordable bundles" they're touting hit for Christmas, if they're reasonably priced/packaged, the Vita will get the boost it needs. More Vitas sold= more developer interest in making games for it= everyone wins. I'll definitely be interested in the Assassin's Creed bundle, if its priced well.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By korolev

As a Vita Owner, this is what I'm afraid of. So far, it appears to be doing pretty badly. Few games are coming out for it, and what's worst of all, virtually NO publicity for those few games. It's almost like Sony is intentionally letting it die, rather than spend any more resources on it. I'm not enthusiastic about its future to be honest.

tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71  Edited By tutuboy95

The original PSP has never held much appeal for me outside maybe 10 or so games. The Vita is looking to be even less, and I've seen it's battery power at work first-hand - it's no better than the 3DS. It seems worse, actually.

It's horsepower is the real deal, though. It can run games fairly smoothly with graphics that rival the PS3, which is impressive enough. I don't think the Vita will beat out the 3DS. I do think, like its PS3 brother, it will gain a ton of steam in the middle to late stages of its life and, while it won't defeat the 3DS, it will come much closer to it than the original PSP did to the DS, which is a pretty big accomplishment.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ripelivejam

quite a few games on the original PSP that i would like to play so maybe i'll grab one of those if i have an extra hundred lying around. how many of the original PSP games are now downloadable anyway?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#73  Edited By DarthOrange

No. GDC gave it the kick in the ass it needed. Will it sell well in the US? No, because most Americans are incapable of purchasing something that isn't constantly being advertised at there face, and Sony sucks donkey ass at marketing. That being said, it should do well in the rest of North America, parts of South America, Europe, Asia. I'm interested to see how Call of Duty does, because while Sony doesn't market for shit Activision could help out. Of course the fact that they gave it to Nihilistic does make you wonder how much Activision really cares. Another thing that would help boost sales in the US would be a new Gran Turismo for Vita. The cross-buy feature seems great and the fact that some big games are doing it should help out too.

SkywalK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SkywalK

I love my vita, hoping for more good games in the future :))

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#75  Edited By Slag

It's certainly seems to be off to a pretty bad start. The launch library was pretty lacking. Other than P4 Golden, which is a remake at that, there isn't a killer title out there for it.

It has at maxmium two christmases to turn it around.

The 3DS is proof it can be done. Just depends on whether it can deliver titles.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Grillbar

yes. im a fairly big sony fan but i bought the 3ds xl since the vita did not interest me, kinda got the same feeling for it as i did for the psp and that one really let me down big time

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just say I'm glad I didn't buy one.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By FlarePhoenix

I'll just be happy when a decent memory card doesn't cost more than the games themselves.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By BraveToaster

@drac96 said:

It's way too early to say if it's failed or not.

Exactly.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By PillClinton

Yes, it basically seems destined to the same fate as the PSP. That's bad. Maybe Sony will finally get out of the handheld market after this.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By pw2566ch

@Alkaiser said:

I'll buy one when they get PS1 games working.

You see, I never understand their logic with PS1 games not working from release of the Vita. PS1 games have been working on the PSP since, well, since PS1 games were released on the PSN store.

Now, having PS2 games working on the Vita. That will definitely get me to buy 2 of those bad boys.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#82  Edited By AndrewB

I still think it's a no-brainer buy at its current price for someone who never owned a PSP. Even if there's a lack of Vita titles, the number of awesome and reasonably cheap PSP games you can buy on PSN would make it worth it alone.

Chances are if you own/owned a PSP, you have a pile of now useless crated discs laying around, leaving you with no reason to want the hardware upgrade even if you could justify it in your mind.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#83  Edited By biospank

Nope it has not failed yet give it another 3 years and if it has not been picked up in Japan then it has failed big time.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Sooty

@thatdutchguy said:

Yep it pretty much failed so far...

So did the 3DS within the first 6 months. People seem to forget how bad the 3DS was.

The Vita had a far, far superior launch to the 3DS.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#85  Edited By Brendan

I think that people like to throw around the terms "failed" and "flopped" a little too easily. The Gizmondo flopped. The Dreamcast failed. The Vita isn't lighting the world on fire yet but it hasn't "failed" so I wouldn't go to extremes just yet. There does exist a middle ground between record breaking and bombing after all.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Mcfart

@Sooty said:

@thatdutchguy said:

So did the 3DS within the first 6 months. People seem to forget how bad the 3DS was.

But 3DS still sold more in it's first 6 months then the Vita did.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Turambar said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Seppli said:

Depends on how it will connect to PS4. If the PS4 has a similar functionality like the WiiU, with a gamepad having a touchscreen and back-touchpad, and does stream VITA games emulation onto it - then it will be a success.

That thing for the Wii U is fucking stupid. I vote that the Wii U is the death of Nintendo home console.

Nintendo won't go from number one market share to bailing out of the console race within one generation, no matter how much you deem the WiiU to be a failure.

They are already failing with the 3DS, they spend alot on R and D on that thing, and noones really buying them. If the Wii U doesn't do well I say it will be there last console.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By myniceicelife

failed, no. stalled so far, definitely. the big thing though is at least with the Vita i can say there are games that are coming out for it that i'm actually looking forward to. that's something i could never really say about the PSP.

9999dmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By 9999dmg

The Vita is actually really cool, I think most people just can't justify the price tag yet.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

No of course not, Sony will continue to slate off the WiiU saying it's PS Vita does the very same, if not better, they will make out that it's their version of WiiU for PS3

“Particularly in today’s on-stage demonstration of the new LittleBigPlanet 2 DLC, which is coming later this year, Sony didn’t shy away from attempting taking the wind out of Nintendo’s sails. It’s looking for any reason to help sell Vitas, and this functionality certainly doesn’t make it any less attractive to potential buyers, but more importantly this feature is something that makes what Nintendo has to offer seem less special. As Sony looks to sell its own hardware this holiday (and simultaneously hopes its own next-gen offering, not the Wii U, will eventually be the big seller), what better way is there to hurt interest in the competition’s offering than by showing how you can do the same thing, possibly even better?”
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#91  Edited By wrighteous86

@Sooty said:

@thatdutchguy said:

Yeah, but the 3DS has games announced that look interesting. The only PSVita exclusive I'm interested in aside from the already released Uncharted is the new Assassin's Creed. That's just me, I know, but the announced lineup for the Vita doesn't look too inspiring so far.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I say it will be there last console.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Also, the Wii was a massive success, even if it didn't capture the core's attention.

@AndrewB said:

I still think it's a no-brainer buy at its current price for someone who never owned a PSP. Even if there's a lack of Vita titles, the number of awesome and reasonably cheap PSP games you can buy on PSN would make it worth it alone.

This is why I'll buy a Vita sometime soon. There are plenty of PSP games I want, and I might as well get a Vita (once it has TV output) in case a few Vita games I like are released.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By pyrodactyl

One figure:

The vita is curently selling as much as the Wii in japan and is often outsold by the PSP

The PSP had monster hunter as a ''killer ap'', the vita has nothing.

Without the major support in japan the PSP would have been a failure, the vita has no support from japan

Yep, it's dying all right...

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Turambar

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Turambar said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Seppli said:

They are already failing with the 3DS, they spend alot on R and D on that thing, and noones really buying them. If the Wii U doesn't do well I say it will be there last console.

They have Monster Hunter locked down on the 3DS. (MH pretty much instantly revitalized the PSP and increased developer support for it.) They have Dragon Quest X locked down for the Wii and the WiiU. (DQX quadrupled the sales of the Wii in Japan and will do similar things for the WiiU.) Nintendo will be fine, so don't hold your breath.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#94  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Considering the Sony Handheld track record, I'm incredulous as to why anyone bought one in the first place. Sony has repeatedly failed to entice the 3rd party devs needed to provide the support the PSP deserved, and as a result I think confidence in the capabilities of the machine dropped. They almost have more iterations of the PSP than they do actual games to play on them.

At this point in time I find it hard to think of the Vita as anything other than a scam. I know all too well that there are great games on the console but there aren't enough to justify it's price, nor the loyalty of any fanbase.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Turambar

@Sweep said:

Considering the Sony Handheld track record, I'm incredulous as to why anyone bought one in the first place. Sony has repeatedly failed to entice the 3rd party devs needed to provide the support the PSP deserved, and as a result I think confidence in the capabilities of the machine dropped. They almost have more iterations of the PSP than they do actual games to play on them.

At this point in time I find it hard to think of the Vita as anything other than a scam. I know all too well that there are great games on the console but there aren't enough to justify it's price, nor the loyalty of any fanbase.

Speak for yourself kid. (And much like Jeff, I use "kid" because you are oh so wrong.)

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I don't think it's tanked but I don't see it being a success. It'll gain a bit of steam I think but I don't see it doing as well as the 3DS and neither if those systems will come close to doing DS numbers. Different market now.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Tesla

Dedicated handhelds will continue to flounder until they start charging less for the software.

I have Chrono Trigger and Ghost Trick on my phone. Games that are similar in scope to something I can download for 5-15 on PC/consoles are 30+ on handhelds. The last game I dropped 30 on was Max Payne 3.

If the software was priced to compete I would have both handhelds. As it is now I have neither.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#98  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Turambar said:

@Sweep said:

Speak for yourself kid. (And much like Jeff, I use "kid" because you are oh so wrong.)

That's what we "kids" like to call an "exaggeration" ;)

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By subject2change

Failed? No. However probably doing worse than what they expected.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Turambar
    @Sweep said:

@Turambar said:

@Sweep said:

That's what we "kids" like to call an "exaggeration" ;)

Your point: the PSP lacks enough games for people to justify its purchase.  My point: that is hilariously wrong.  No addressing of exaggeration is needed when the underlying point is already faulty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.