Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Do you think the Vita has failed/tanked?

• 171 results
    Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#151  Edited By Mnemoidian

It's a massive system that plays games that I want on a large screen.

So, yes, I think it failed when the PSP failed in the same segment (though, to be fair, the lack of games "caused by" the rampant piracy certainly was a factor). I never expected a hardware refresh to set the world a-fire. It's obvious to me that Sony doesn't really understand the global market for who uses handheld gaming systems and when. Hopefully it's well suited at least for the Japanese commuters (and other groups in similar situations).

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Sony to fail. I like Sony products.

Also, I don't think that anyone who likes their Vita is "wrong" - it's great that you enjoy it, and that it works for your situation. I'm just saying that I don't think it has as large a mass-market appeal as Sony seems to expect it to have, and I think it's idiotic of them to think that the second attempt would succeed where the first one did not, especially in a world where most (not all) of their market are allready running around with smartphones with massive screens.

One thing I do have against the Vita, personally, is that it's UI doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. I spent some 5-10 minutes at a PS Vita kiosk with a friend (who works as a UI Interaction Designer), and I've worked quite a lot with User Interface development myself.. yet there were several features we couldn't quite wrap our heads around. (Like how to resume a suspended game?).

I hope that in the end, it'll at least break even or even make a small profit for Sony. And I hope they stop and think before they make PSP3 :P

edit: then again, should probably define what "failed" means. It'll probably break even eventually, either way. It's very unlikely to beat Nintendo in units sold or money earned in the handheld market, though.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#153  Edited By cosi83

It hasn't failed. Give it time. It will have a similar lifespan as the PSP.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@cosi83 said:

It hasn't failed. Give it time. It will have a similar lifespan as the PSP.

That isn't encouraging at all.

The PSP was a shambling mess which had developers tearing their hair out cause the games weren't selling for it and Sony continually releasing "upgraded" versions of it flooding the marketplace with "outdated" models.

It didn't cater enough to what anybody wanted. Nobody wanted to watch UMD movies on that screen. Nobody wanted to play PS2 ports on it. And nobody wanted to develop for it.

The PSP was a failure which I hoped Sony got a huge learning experience from. Unfortunately they're doing a lot of the same mistakes this time around.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#155  Edited By BlackLagoon

@TeflonBilly said:

The PSP was a failure which I hoped Sony got a huge learning experience from. Unfortunately they're doing a lot of the same mistakes this time around.

Uhhh... 71 million PSPs sold worldwide is a "failure" now?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackLagoon: Yeah, let's just ignore how my main point was that THE GAMES WEREN'T SELLING! AGAIN! IN BOLD AND UNDERLINED!

THE GAMES WEREN'T SELLING!

Taken by that metric, yes it was a failure. Taken by projected profits for Sony it was supposed to make, yes it was a failure. Taken by public opinion, yes it was a failure.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By BlackLagoon

@TeflonBilly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PlayStation_Portable

Total PlayStation Portable games sold as of March 31, 2012: 330.2 million

...and new PSP games are still being annouced in Japan, and still showing up in the top ten sales charts there.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By ExplodeMode

I think perception is getting pretty grim and reality usually follows. But, I think it's worth mentioning that it had a really good launch followed by a week summer - but summer is pretty weak across the board. Around now is when complaints of slow releases start to become valid. I thought all of the moaning through June and July about games seemed misplaced or reactionay.

Still, hard to grow with 3DS software future looking so good. It being a worse machine doesn't really matter if that's where the games are. Especially lately, with so many games going to iOS - I just appreciate a portable game coming out with actual controls, hardware be damned.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#159  Edited By DarthOrange

@algertman said:

@freakin9 said:

Having all your 5 star ips be bad games probably killed the Vita more than anything.

Also game sales tell the story of a console's success, not console sales. By that mark the PSP1 would've been considered a success.

I guess the question is, is it salvageable? I don't think so.

At this point in time the PSV can not be saved. It would take a miracle at TGS to save it and we all know the what happened last year at TGS. Sony came out with nothing and Nintendo dropped 2 MonHun announcements on Japan. Oh man at the internet melt down over that one. I see Sony having a lame showing this year. No amount of JRPGs will fix that. The CoD gameplay reveal, which was touted at Vitas savior by some people, was like some insane joke. the biggest problem is that Sony doesn't know what to do because they don't know how to adapt to poor sales. It's like they have some pretentiousness art school kids running their marketing department. Yes, I am aware of Sony planning a price cut. No, it won't matter because it will be post holiday season and probably just be some gimped model.

I still think that Call of Duty bundle will sell gangbusters at Christmas. Parents will be like hey, my child plays Call of Duty all the time, he will love this! The biggest problem Sony has is not a software issue, it is a marketing one. They don't know how to explain what it is that makes the Vita great. Sony has a giant diverse catalog of exclusives, bigger then both Microsoft's and Nintendo's, and yet they never play that shit up in their ads. They just need a better marketing team.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By algertman

CoD will save Vita! Just like it did the PSP in the West!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#161  Edited By MikkaQ

@BlackLagoon said:

@TeflonBilly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PlayStation_Portable

...and new PSP games are still being annouced in Japan, and still showing up in the top ten sales charts there.

Yeah but look at the DS numbers and they are triple that. Those numbers are pathetic for a time where portable gaming was doing as well as it ever will. No developers could make money off PSP unless they were making Monster Hunter, so no matter how many hardware units they sold that doesn't make a difference since only Sony saw that money. It didn't help the industry much as a whole.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By algertman

@MikkaQ said:

@BlackLagoon said:

Yeah but look at the DS numbers and they are triple that. Those numbers are pathetic for a time where portable gaming was doing as well as it ever will. No developers could make money off PSP unless they were making Monster Hunter, so no matter how many hardware units they sold that doesn't make a difference since only Sony saw that money. It didn't help the industry much as a whole.

On the same page of the link they list the DS games that sold over 5 million copies. There are 14 DS games that claim that and no PSP games. Those 14 games alone are over half of what all PSP games have done combined.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By algertman

@Verrayne said:

The 3DS has been out for a year longer and received a price cut.

The Vita has been out for 6 months.

Sales numbers don't mean everything in terms of failing or not. would you call Ferrari a failure compared to Kia?

That is the worst comparison I have read so far in the "war" between 3DS and Vita.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#164  Edited By Cube

I think the Vita and 3DS have both sort of faltered, but there's a lot more going for the 3DS. I don't think the Vita is going to succeed as well as Sony needs it to.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#165  Edited By Enigma777

Not yet, but it's not far from it. The best experience I've had with my Vita so far was replaying MGS1 on it... and that was after I had to go out of my way to put it on there.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#166  Edited By PhilipDuck

Slowly is becoming that, I only use mien when I'm travelling.. don't really have to much use for it with the lack of content..

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both handhelds are struggling, but I don't think either have failed, they have just gotten whats coming to them for not releasing any original titles.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By BlackLagoon

@MikkaQ said:

I'd disagree with that, if you look at the list there were a number of million+ selling games, both Japanese and western, and as I said earlier, PSP games are still doing well in Japan, with new ones being announced all the time (and some of them are even brought over to the west). But in any case, that's irrelevant. I wasn't making any claims about the PSP being some kind of "DS" killer or whatever, just responding to blanket, unconditional claims that it was a "failure" and that its "games weren't selling".

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By theslothking

@BestUsernameEver said:

Both handhelds are struggling, but I don't think either have failed, they have just gotten whats coming to them for not releasing any original titles.

Wasn't the 3ds doing better than the DS at this point in it's lifetime?

Edit: look at my reply on page 7. It is.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#170  Edited By MikkaQ

@BlackLagoon: Well to that I'd say I agree it wasn't a failure, it did just fine by Sony. But the games just didn't sell. Maybe in Japan, but that's one country and games have to perform well around the globe these days to be true successes because of the decreased profit margins on the development of them.

FriedConsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By FriedConsole

I think the Vita will be in similar situation as the PSP. I love my Vita. It is the system I have been dreaming of as a frequent traveler for the last 10 years. You probably don't understand how tired you become of crappy 2D GBA platformers if that is your only option. I don't understand people who say there is nothing to play on it as I use my Vita as my primary system and I still have games in the backlog.

Sony is aiming at an adult portable gaming market. The problem is that market is very small. I travel a lot hence I play mostly portable systems. There aren't a lot of people like me. I rather play my PS3 and would do so if I had the chance.

Nintendo had the portable kids market which is a lot bigger but has lost it to the iPhone.

It looks gloomy for the portable gaming market. Phones will take over and I hate that. I don't want to play phone games. I want to see 3DS and Vita both do well. A future where I am playing Angry Birds type games stuck in my hotel room is a bleak future I see coming true.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#172  Edited By valiantgrizzly

I don't think it failed. Give it a bit more time. I got one with Persona 4, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and Killzone on the horizon, and I'm looking forward to things to come.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.