Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Free game with 3G activation announced.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Shakezula84

Its Super Stardust Delta plus its DLC pack. A $14.99 value (the game is $9.99 and DLC is $7.99 but they are bundled also for $14.99).

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Unfortunately, you have to pay $15 for a month of 3G to get it, so it's kind of a wash.

I was going to pick up the $300 3G pack just for Super Stardust Delta and the 8GB card, since I figured it would be a wash. But in the end, I just ordered the $250 base wifi unit on Amazon and I'll pick up an 8GB memory card at Best Buy.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By devilzrule27

I thought you got with activation of the free month that is included with pre-order systems.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@devilzrule27 said:

I thought you got with activation of the free month that is included with pre-order systems.

Yup.

This is cool, since it was the first downloadable game I was going to get anyway.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@devilzrule27 said:

My understanding is that you get the free month by paying for a month, so you get the first 2 months for $15. There was a lot of back and forth on Amazon's forums about this and I'm pretty it was confirmed that you have to pay $15 up front for 2 months and then you get the game for free.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By 014
    @Krakn3Dfx: You get a code for 250MB of use. I read the small print before I purchased. There was no reason not to get the 3G model if you were going to get an 8GB card. That was my rationale. The game is free and not in a screwy way. 

I'm glad the game is one I wanted! :D
    Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ehker

You have to sign-up and pay $15 for your first month.

So in other words, the deal is buy a single month of the plan and you get:

• One extra month of 3G at 250MB
    • Stardust Delta +DLC

I was going to buy that game anyway, so it costs me nothing to get two months of 3G, even if I'm not traveling at the moment so I don't really need it. Will at least get to try it out with the 3G features of apps and games.

Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ehker

I need to also add, you have to use the service for a month before you get your Stardust code, so just be prepared to wait. Since I've got too many games as it is I'm fine with that.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shakezula84

You do have to pay for a month to get ahold month (which means buy a month for the game), but in the end its like testing the 3G service. Of course you don't have to keep the 3G going but I suspect the 3G will be an amazing feature in a year (or a total flop).

FYI, I don't have internet at home, so I tether using my AT&T; ATRIX. I have played full matches of Battlefield 3 online with no problems, so I don't see why a kickass multiplayer game can't come out on Vita that uses 3G.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pw2566ch

I'm actually to see how the service is on the device. I've been hearing some pretty mean stories about AT&T's data plan service with the iPhone lately. So I'm pretty skeptical.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By devilzrule27

@Shakezula84 said:

You do have to pay for a month to get ahold month (which means buy a month for the game), but in the end its like testing the 3G service. Of course you don't have to keep the 3G going but I suspect the 3G will be an amazing feature in a year (or a total flop). FYI, I don't have internet at home, so I tether using my AT&T; ATRIX. I have played full matches of Battlefield 3 online with no problems, so I don't see why a kickass multiplayer game can't come out on Vita that uses 3G.
    FYI, I don't have internet at home, so I tether using my AT&T; ATRIX. I have played full matches of Battlefield 3 online with no problems, so I don't see why a kickass multiplayer game can't come out on Vita that uses 3G

It would probably bog down AT&T's network like crazy. Also there is a lot of latency in city areas with their network, at least with the iphone and in NYC.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shakezula84
    @devilzrule27 While I live 25 miles from both Seattle and Tacoma (the two biggest cities in Washington) I have not experienced problems since the iPhone 3G launched (and some problems when they rolled out the HSPA+ service). I get that people in major cities have problems, but they are not the majority of people. Just the loudest, because only people with bad service are gonna complain.

Im willing to bet any provider that got the iPhone first would have these problems.

Plus as LTE service rolls out people will transition off the 3G network. Could take years, but it'll happen.
    devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By devilzrule27

@Shakezula84 said:

@devilzrule27 While I live 25 miles from both Seattle and Tacoma (the two biggest cities in Washington) I have not experienced problems since the iPhone 3G launched (and some problems when they rolled out the HSPA+ service). I get that people in major cities have problems, but they are not the majority of people. Just the loudest, because only people with bad service are gonna complain. Im willing to bet any provider that got the iPhone first would have these problems. Plus as LTE service rolls out people will transition off the 3G network. Could take years, but it'll happen.

The service in NYC isn't bad there is just a noticeable lag which would kill online gaming. Its not just with AT&T. It's all the networks. The populations in the major cities are just too dense.

Also as the network transitions to 4G and the burden is lfted off 3G they could always enable multi player over the network down the road.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@devilzrule27 said:

@Shakezula84 said:

You do have to pay for a month to get ahold month (which means buy a month for the game), but in the end its like testing the 3G service. Of course you don't have to keep the 3G going but I suspect the 3G will be an amazing feature in a year (or a total flop). FYI, I don't have internet at home, so I tether using my AT&T; ATRIX. I have played full matches of Battlefield 3 online with no problems, so I don't see why a kickass multiplayer game can't come out on Vita that uses 3G.
    FYI, I don't have internet at home, so I tether using my AT&T; ATRIX. I have played full matches of Battlefield 3 online with no problems, so I don't see why a kickass multiplayer game can't come out on Vita that uses 3G

It would probably bog down AT&T's network like crazy. Also there is a lot of latency in city areas with their network, at least with the iphone and in NYC.

I've never had a single problem with AT&T in Boston / Eastern Massachusetts, and routinely get better service than Verizon users. Granted I'm on full LTE now with AT&T, but even back when AT&T was 3G it was never an issue.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kindgineer

250mb for $15, what in the fuck.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By devilzrule27

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@devilzrule27 said:

@Shakezula84 said:

I've never had a single problem with AT&T in Boston / Eastern Massachusetts, and routinely get better service than Verizon users. Granted I'm on full LTE now with AT&T, but even back when AT&T was 3G it was never an issue.

Im not saying the service was bad, in fact data speeds were pretty fast after you would get past the initial hiccup. At least in NYC all the networks had/have a noticeable latency to them. AT&T wasn't slower or more unreliable then any other service. As you would get further away from the city out to north western NJ AT&T had by far the best coverage and service of any of the major 4.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By devilzrule27

@ccampb89 said:

You seem surprised by common data plan pricing. Prices have been dumb like that for a while on the two big networks.

Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ehker

@ccampb89 said:

Basically I think of it as the PSN / Near / A-Sync gaming plan. It'll do those three functions on the go, but beyond that I don't imagine there will be much room for browsing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By 014
    @ccampb89 said:

Ha! You know, sometimes a harsh complaint with legitimate backing (despite what is considered normal) can come in at the perfect timing.
    Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shakezula84
    @Ehker Unless Netflix is amazing on it (or Hulu comes out for it). Ill be doing the 250mb plan until those come out on Vita.
    ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Still looks like a bad deal to me. IGN had a great article about using the IPad data plans instead of the Vita's shitty plan.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Think I'll avoid any potential issues with AT&T's 3G and just pay the $15 for Stardust Delta + DLC instead. Plus I don't want to wait a month for it, lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.