Going down the rabbit hole: The best PSP RPGs to get for VITA

#1 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

So with my newfound love for all that is Vita (seriously, i love this thing), one of the features im surprisingly more excited about is playing psp games on it (gotta love that oled screen), specifically jrpgs. Since I havent followed the PSP since around its first year, I had no idea it was some sort of JRPG heaven, as aparently the jrpgs that people ask where they went this generation, seems they went to portables (I had heard the DS had a lot of jrpgs, didnt know the psp was the same). So after doing some research (various reviews, youtube trailers and this neogaf thread), the consensus is on the following:

DISCLAIMER: These all work on the Vita, but some have to be bought on the PS3 store and then transfered (transFARred?) to the Vita, like Ys Seven or Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Ys Seven

Ys Oath In Felghana

Final Fantasy 4 Complete

Final Fantasy Tactics War Of The Lions

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Trails In The Sky

ZHP

Corpse Party

Valkyria Chronicles 2

Mana Khemia

Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days

Half Minute Hero

The 3rd Birthday (aparently much better with the second analog)

Wild Arms XF

Lunar Silver Star Harmony

Persona

Persona 2

Persona 3

Now the problem is, a lot of these are actually quite expensive, some are even 35 euros, which is almost the price of a Vita game. So, unlike a steam sale, I cant really splurge with these, I have to be careful, at least for now. So I would love to get some comments from the GB jrpg community as to what the best choices are. I already got Ys Seven, which was one of the cheaper ones and a action rpg which i missed, and i love it. I love it so much that it might have re-sparked my jrpg bug that has been dormant for years. I played FF Tactics back on PSX so thats one of the last I want (even tho its the cheapest), and I dont really have any interest in FF4 Complete for now (and its one of the most expensive ones).

Since I already got a action rpg, i would dig a strategy one (im sure Tactics Ogre will be the most popular choice) and a Final Fantasy style turn based one (not grid tho, just tradional 3/4 guys guys on one side, monsters on the other etc), are any of these like that, besides Persona 3? They all seem to be either action rpgs or grid based ones, but what do i know. Enlighten me bombers!

PS: Also, the entire world seems to love and praise Trails In The Sky... is it that good? I ask because its one of those 35 euro ones >_>

UPDATE 1: If you are in the US, gamestop online sells psp game codes, usually CHEAPER than the psn prices, so check that out (for US only unfortunately)

Gamestop PSP online codes

UPDATE 2: These next few games are only available on specific region stores

Final Fantasy I Anniversary (european psn)

Final Fantasy II Aniversary (european psn)

Breath Of Fire 3 (UK psn only)

#2 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

well all I know is to not get the 3rd birthday

#3 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1660 posts) -

Thanks for this thread! I was actually considering putting up a thread asking what to get RPG-wise for the Vita.... That solves that problem!

#4 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

Trails was my GOTY for 2011.

Just keep in mind that it's only the first part of a trilogy, and it's unknown if the remaining games in the series will be localized at this point.

That being said, it's a great game all by itself.

#5 Edited by Mento (2682 posts) -

Haven't played Trails but I played one of its predecessors on the PSP (A Tear of Vermilion?) and it was fine, if underwhelming. I imagine the series has come a long way since then, since Tear was originally a TG16 game. I was going to suggest Brave Story New Traveller or Tales of Eternia, but I don't think either are on the PSN store unfortunately. Is BoF 3 on PSN? That one's not too bad. Jeanne D'Arc? Cladun? I should look these up. Or assume you've checked already and move on.

Of the ones listed that I've played: FFT is good, but you've stated you're not interested. FF4 is a classic, but I can't speak for its weird episodic epilogue thing they have going on. P3P is pretty good if you're into the Personas (or have seen enough of the P4 ER to make your mind up about them). ZHP is enervating in stretches but good in small doses, as long as you understand that like all Roguelikes it can be arbitrary and cruel as hell. Mana Khemia is fantastic, or at least its music is. If you thought Harry Potter needed more JRPG in it, try it out. Disgaea 2 will scratch that strategy RPG itch and then some if you let it sink its claws into you. As for Half Minute Hero, it's not actually an RPG but more of a puzzle game. Still worth a look though.

#6 Posted by TopSteer (671 posts) -

Trails in the Sky is really good. Its combat is kinda a mixture of standard turn-based and grid style.

Jeanne d'Arc is a great tactics style game.

Crimson Gem Saga has a battle system like what you're looking for.

I very much preferred Persona 3 on PSP over the PS2 version. Having direct control over your teammates in battle is worth every compromise they had to make.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

You must run faster to stay in place. Persona 3 is good. but not as good as playing them on the ps2.

#8 Posted by Chubbaluphigous (571 posts) -

I have to put a vote in for Corpse Party. It is weird, cheap, and has SNES graphics.

#9 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2498 posts) -

@Chubbaluphigous said:

I have to put a vote in for Corpse Party. It is weird, cheap, and has SNES graphics.

I'm really, probably going to get this. Looks awesomely strange.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (9309 posts) -

I really can't recommend Trails in the Sky, Tactics Ogre, and Persona 3 enough. Those are games you can't miss. Tactics Ogre is only like $20 on PSN and P3 and Trails in the Sky are absolutely worth their listing prices. You would not be disappointed with any of them. :)

If scary is your thing, then Corpse Party is also a fine choice; though, definitely get those other games, too. If the price goes down, Lunar Silver Star Harmony is also a classic.

#11 Posted by biospank (660 posts) -

half min hero is the one I would have chossen because its perfect in short playtimes.

#12 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

My wife surprised me with a Vita last night. I never had a PSP so I'll have to check out some the above mentioned games. It's obviously not an RPG but I'm loving the martian blob downloadable game.

#13 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

I really can't recommend Trails in the Sky, Tactics Ogre, and Persona 3 enough. Those are games you can't miss. Tactics Ogre is only like $20 on PSN and P3 and Trails in the Sky are absolutely worth their listing prices. You would not be disappointed with any of them. :)

If scary is your thing, then Corpse Party is also a fine choice; though, definitely get those other games, too. If the price goes down, Lunar Silver Star Harmony is also a classic.

i see the Trails love is universal and it includes giantbomb...damn. Might have to spring for it even at full price. And funny you mention Lunar, here in europe its one of the cheapest at 15euros (always wanted to play it when i was a kid on the sega cd too)

I hear battles in Tactics Ogre can take up to an hour, is this true? And that its quite complex, a lot more so than FFT. Im not sure if i can handle that at this particular time :/

#14 Posted by TruthTellah (9309 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

@TruthTellah said:

i see the Trails love is universal and it includes giantbomb...damn. Might have to spring for it even at full price. And funny you mention Lunar, here in europe its one of the cheapest at 15euros (always wanted to play it when i was a kid on the sega cd too)

I hear battles in Tactics Ogre can take up to an hour, is this true? And that its quite complex, a lot more so than FFT. Im not sure if i can handle that at this particular time :/

Trails is definitely one to get, and if you wanted to play Lunar on Sega CD, Lunar Silver Star Harmony is an amazing opportunity. I would absolutely jump on those.

If you want a strategy game, you really can't beat Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. It has a great story and great gameplay. As far as complexity, it's not really that much more complex than FFT. There is more you can do, but that has more to do with depth than necessary knowledge. It's definitely not Disgaea complex. ha. The matches can definitely be long, like most strategy games, but I do believe you can pause and save in the middle of any battle if you need to. So, that's not a big deal. If you want a classic strategy game to go with the other RPGs, it's a rather well-made choice. And it's dirt cheap for the value.

#15 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

I wouldn't put Corpse Party in the JRPG category but it's certainly worth picking up. It's one of the creepiest games I've ever played, and I'm only on the third chapter.

If I could only get one game from that list, it would be P3P. That game just oozes style. Tactics Ogre should also be a no-brainer, especially now that it's $20 on PSN (last time I looked at least). I bought it at full price with no hesitation.

#16 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

updated the OP with soem more games, some region specific games, and the gamestop US page that sells game codes usually cheaper than PSN.

#17 Posted by Danteveli (1194 posts) -

3rd Birthday is nice but not too much of RPG.

#18 Edited by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Persona 3 is great and the changes they made to update it on the PSP are great aside from the whole mving around the town with a cursor direct control and the added perspective and other tweaked stuff for the UI and direct control over your once completely AI team and the update to the climbing the tower stuff is just makes it feel closer to the changes i like that P4 had,or Valkyria Chronicles 2 i easily reccomend at the top of my list, i havent played VC2 but i do remember having way to much fun with VC1 so i just downloaded VC2 soon as i knew it worked with the vita (couldn't find Valkyria Chronicles 2 browsing with the store on the vita so may have to look around on your ps3 if you have one to download it there) also corpses party although more of a adventure sort of game rather than the typical Jrpg style you may be talking about.

Also Final Fantasy Dissidia 2 or 012 duodecia whatever its called, has a really decent story mode to go through and actually has quite allot of bang for your buck(you may or may not have to be into final fantasy to actually appreciate the characters and whats going on in it though) and when i bought it for my Vita it was retentively cheap as part of they're Psp sale they have going on which may still be happening too.

#19 Edited by MyNiceIceLife (625 posts) -

There's just too many games on that list that I want to play. Persona 3 is something I want to give another try, because I played a little bit on the PS2 after I finished P4 and just couldn't get into it mainly because of the battle system. But it seems they changed some of it like full control over your party and the way they changed you navigate the areas outside the tower which is something else I for some reason didn't like before. I also want to check out the Disgaea games as those have always seemed intimidating as I'm not much of a strategy rpg player, but for the price I'll have to give the first on a look (that and maybe go to ZHP if I get the hang of it).

#20 Posted by Enigma777 (6076 posts) -

I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS MADNESS!!!

Breath of Fire 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Breath of Fire 3

#21 Edited by dekkadekkadekka (735 posts) -

Just thought I'd post an update, Phantasy Star Portable 2 is copying via PS3, no direct download. It also appears to work a treat.

#22 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

finished Ys Seven, thought it was amazing (and i must be really rusty on jrpgs / anime since i didnt see the twist coming at all). really feel like buying Oath In Felghana now since i hear its better. But started Trails In The Sky instead, and i have a question for Trails fans.

only played about 1 hour, and people werent kidding when they said its a slow starter (although im already intrigued by the combat / magic system), but is it me or the game quite...blurry. Ys Seven, Chains of Olympus were very sharp on the vita, and i booted Half Minute Hero for a bit, and that one is sharp as hell (if i didnt know better I would say it was a Vita game even), but Trails seems quite blurry... was it like that on the psp? From what i understand the vita upscaled games perfectly because its 2x2 the psp res or something, so if a game is blurry from the get go, there aint much the Vita can do. So i was just wondering how it looked back on the psp (or if anyone tried it on the Vita if you notice the blurriness)

#23 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

Trails is an A+ RPG.

#24 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1908 posts) -

I bought both P3P (actually loving the animated storybook style over 3D movement) and half minute hero. While I feel like I paid more for P3P than I should have it's already proved to be worth it. Love the characters and the setting and it reminds me of the P4 endurance run. Half minute hero is just madness and super fun.

#25 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@gunslingerNZ said:

I bought both P3P (actually loving the animated storybook style over 3D movement) and half minute hero. While I feel like I paid more for P3P than I should have it's already proved to be worth it. Love the characters and the setting and it reminds me of the P4 endurance run. Half minute hero is just madness and super fun.

im blown away by how good half minute looks on the Vita screem, i could sware it was a Vita game (well, a vira retro style game, but still).

#26 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

I've been splitting my time with Trails In The Sky and Tactics Ogre and wow they are great. I never knew the PSP was so awesome.

#27 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2384 posts) -

Couple things. I can't remember if it's on there but Star Ocean is a great PSP RPG. The 3rd Birthday is really an unoforgiving and honestly kind of bad shooter, not really an RPG. Corpse Party is weird as hell but more focused on story choices than the RPG elements(also despite me loving it for the setting, it's not really that good). Most of the games you have on that list are pretty good. I also Like FF7 Crisis core, and Dissadia which is Real time fighting with RPG mechanics underneath. I don't know about Trails, Mana Khemia, or Lunar Silver Star but the ones on your list I haven't mentioned are pretty good.

#28 Posted by Peleus (25 posts) -

I wish Crisis Core was on the PSN, would love to play that game. I broke down and bought Persona 3, Really enjoying that and Trails in the Sky.

#29 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

so...yeah, Trails In The Sky is really good. The internet didnt lie :p

27 hours in just got to the last chapter (well at least its called Final Chapter, so im assuming... wasnt this game supposed to be 50+ hours? >_>) and its been pretty much as good as everyone said, EASILY the best jrpgs in years. Having said that, i actually think its not for everyone, as its quite slow to get going, and its very "anime" which people seem to hate these days

#30 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

yo, Trails In The Sky was amazing... and it doesnt end, wtf >_< Is there any word on XSEED releasing the second and third in the west? Since the psp is all but dead, have they mentioned anything about a Vita version, or PSN releases, or...something, anything. I need to finish this trilogy damn it :(

But yeah, as I said before, the internet was right, Trails is awesome

#31 Posted by rRevenge (44 posts) -

Y's Oath all the way!! That game is bad-ass!

#32 Edited by Pixelationist (42 posts) -

Completely ignored the PSP for the entirety of its lifespan and am only just unearthing the embarrassing riches of good jrpgs that thing hosted since I bought a vita. Persona 3 is just perfect on a handheld, can't fucking wait for P4 the golden.

Anyone here playing Corpse Party?

#33 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Jeanne D'arc isn't on that list which makes you a criminal.

#34 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Jeanne D'arc isn't on that list which makes you a criminal.

because its not on any country's PSN store hence its useless being there on a Vita thread which cant use UMDs :(

@Pixelationist said:

Completely ignored the PSP for the entirety of its lifespan and am only just unearthing the embarrassing riches of good jrpgs that thing hosted since I bought a vita. Persona 3 is just perfect on a handheld, can fucking wait for P4 the golden.

yes, but its not a rpg at all, it just...looks like one i guess. Its more of a adventure game / interactive story thing. the adventure part would come on the few items you need to collect and use in places, but it doesnt happen a lot. its quite good tho, if you dont mind your scares to come from sounds and words, instead of graphics. its more disturbing than scary

Also, Disgaea... is kind of amazing. Bummed out the sequels dont use the same characters since im kinda loving them

#35 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@Rhaknar: It's on the US Store.

I know it is.

Don't you lie to me god damn it.

#36 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

I know it is.

its not anymore... right? At least thats what ive been lead to believe, go check.

#37 Posted by Sergio (2160 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I know it is.

its not anymore... right? At least thats what ive been lead to believe, go check.

I think it's under the PSP section only. If you go to the Vita section and list PSP games from there, it won't show up.

#38 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Sergio said:

@Rhaknar said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I know it is.

I think it's under the PSP section only. If you go to the Vita section and list PSP games from there, it won't show up.

well im not in the states so i cant check, i was going by what heard / read in many places, that it wasnt in the store anymore (like other games)

#39 Posted by Pixelationist (42 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

@Pixelationist said:

Completely ignored the PSP for the entirety of its lifespan and am only just unearthing the embarrassing riches of good jrpgs that thing hosted since I bought a vita. Persona 3 is just perfect on a handheld, can't fucking wait for P4 the golden.

yes, but its not a rpg at all, it just...looks like one i guess. Its more of a adventure game / interactive story thing. the adventure part would come on the few items you need to collect and use in places, but it doesnt happen a lot. its quite good tho, if you dont mind your scares to come from sounds and words, instead of graphics. its more disturbing than scary

True, it's totally a visual novel where you move the characters around a bit. Though I am really impressed by the mileage they get out of so little. Many games 100 times this budget doesn't achieve the atmosphere it achieves.

#40 Posted by Sergio (2160 posts) -

@Rhaknar: Jeanne D'arc wasn't on the official list of supported PSP games. I checked the US store. If you navigate from the PSP games section, it's still available for download, but not if you navigate from the Vita games section (not supported). People have been reporting that you can still buy it from your PS3 then copy it over to the Vita, but I haven't tried it myself.

#41 Posted by Peleus (25 posts) -

Jeanne D'Aarc works on the Vita. Have to buy on the PS3 and transfer over to the Vita

#42 Posted by Quemador (169 posts) -

Wow not a single western RPG.. this list, this list does not help me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.