Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Got a Vita today, have some questions

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Only played Killzone and Dragon's Crown, both of which are excellent (the former being surprising since I thought Shadow Fall was abysmal), but I'm having some issues with the hardware.

I tried to use remote play with the PS4, but couldn't get it to work without the Vita going crazy with lag within five seconds. I have no network issues with either of my consoles, so I don't understand why my Vita is fluctuating between one and two bars of signal. Is there a way I can at least use remote play via directly through the transfer cable?

Also, is the Jak and Daxter Vita ports really that bad?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you have Remote Play set up on the PS4? There are two options: Connect Directly (which uses the PS4 as a wifi point) or Not (which uses your house's wifi). Depending how far you are away from the PS4, it would be better to turn off the direct connection so it isn't struggling to find your PS4's signal.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By VoshiNova

I got a Vita recently as well and somehow cannot answer your questions....

HOWEVER!

Lumines: Electronic Symphony is really really really good.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had much experience with Remote Play yet but I can tell you the Jak and Daxter ports to Vita were terrible. Don't waste your money.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mustainium

How do you have Remote Play set up on the PS4? There are two options: Connect Directly (which uses the PS4 as a wifi point) or Not (which uses your house's wifi). Depending how far you are away from the PS4, it would be better to turn off the direct connection so it isn't struggling to find your PS4's signal.

I think the direct option, but I'm not sure. How'd I go about changing that?

I got a Vita recently as well and somehow cannot answer your questions....

HOWEVER!

Lumines: Electronic Symphony is really really really good.

Will definitely check it out, thanks for the recommendation.

@msavo said:

I haven't had much experience with Remote Play yet but I can tell you the Jak and Daxter ports to Vita were terrible. Don't waste your money.

That's too bad, thanks for the heads up.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The best advice I can give you is return it, go back in time to Black Friday, get that bundle. You missed on a bunch of good freebies.

Also, Peace Walker is 7 bucks right now. It kind of sucks with the PSP keymapping, but hey, it's a MGS game.

And I don't have a PS4, so whatever.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

Some games are better about remote play lag than others. You may have just picked a bad one.

If there is more to it than that, then you should check your settings. Settings > PS Vita Connection Settings. I'm sure you must have done this while setting up for remote play, but I don't know what else could be causing the problem.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that there's a pretty big sale going on on PSN right now. You can get some great games for real cheap, especially if you're a PS+ member. I picked up Spelunky, Thomas Was Alone, and Lone Survivor for like ten bucks or so. All of these are cross-buy, by the way, so you get PS3 versions as well.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Mendelson9

Where is your PS4 and router? My house is made of brick so I get really weak signal in many spots. Also, this might help you out. http://redd.it/1rkt0u

PS. Go buy Spelunky, I think it's only $4 right now.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By strainedeyes

@mustainium said:

@strainedeyes said:

It's in Settings > PS Vita Connection Settings. You probably do have it turned on, because the wording makes it sound like it won't work without it. But I've found I have more freedom to move around my apartment with it turned off because it's using my router instead of the PS4 to shoot the signal to the Vita.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some games are better about remote play lag than others. You may have just picked a bad one.

If there is more to it than that, then you should check your settings. Settings > PS Vita Connection Settings. I'm sure you must have done this while setting up for remote play, but I don't know what else could be causing the problem.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that there's a pretty big sale going on on PSN right now. You can get some great games for real cheap, especially if you're a PS+ member. I picked up

Spelunky

Thomas Was Alone

, and

Lone Survivor

for like ten bucks or so. All of these are cross-buy, by the way, so you get PS3 versions as well.

Well I actually couldn't even get past the dashboard, the connection broke off within seconds.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale. I got Killzone, Soul Sacrifice, and Spelunky from there, I'll definitely consider the other two.

Where is your PS4 and router? My house is made of brick so I get really weak signal in many spots. Also, this might help you out. http://redd.it/1rkt0u

PS. Go buy Spelunky, I think it's only $4 right now.

My PS4 in my room, and the router is in my parent's room, which is about fifteen steps away. If it's worth noting, the Vita internet browser is pretty quick.

Got Spelunky right after I got home from getting the system. Can't wait to try it out once I get all these issues resolved, really want to try the co-op between the PS3 and Vita.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mustainium

@mustainium said:

@strainedeyes said:

It's in Settings > PS Vita Connection Settings. You probably do have it turned on, because the wording makes it sound like it won't work without it. But I've found I have more freedom to move around my apartment with it turned off.

I'll try that out, I remember checking that box without really knowing what it did. Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
    deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mortal Kombat on the VITA is the best version of the game.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markm said:

Thinking of picking that up along with DOA5 and Injustice, even though I already have the latter on PS4.

@mustainium said:

@strainedeyes said:

It's in Settings > PS Vita Connection Settings. You probably do have it turned on, because the wording makes it sound like it won't work without it. But I've found I have more freedom to move around my apartment with it turned off because it's using my router instead of the PS4 to shoot the signal to the Vita.

Well gave that a shot, but no dice. Though on the plus side KZ multiplayer is finally working.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
    RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Last I checked Hotline Miami was free for PS+. That is literally my favorite game for the Vita right now.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mustainium

Anyone know if there is at least a way I can get remote play to work through the transfer cable?

No Caption Provided

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By JJOR64

The games on the Jak and Daxter collection have bad framerate and some goofy back touch controls. This is from someone who has it. I played through Jak 1 and it was playable.

Also, get Persona 4 Golden. So good.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

Also, get Persona 4 Golden. So good.

Got along with my Vita, can't wait to finally try it out. Just waiting until I have a decent stretch of time to play as I hear it has quite a lengthy opening.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@markm said:

Thinking of picking that up along with DOA5 and Injustice, even though I already have the latter on PS4.

@strainedeyes said:

@mustainium said:

@strainedeyes said:

Well gave that a shot, but no dice. Though on the plus side KZ multiplayer is finally working.

I'll second that Mortal Kombat vita port. Shockingly fun version of that game.

Injustice, in my mind, is the better of the two fighting games, but on the Vita it has some framerate issues that can--but don't frequently--hamper its otherwise tight gameplay. It's just something to be mindful of. Especially if you already own the PS4 version, which is pretty much the definitive version.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RonGalaxy

Ive been playing killzone: mercenary too and that game is great! Not sure why Jeff was hating on it so hard. Plays beautifully, looks great, and they made some really smart decisions to compensate for lack of certain buttons (circle being crouch while prone and sprint while moving is a really smart idea).

Also, sorry I didnt answer your question... Just wanted to say I agree :)

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mustainium: The co-op works great. 2 people can play and have there own screen which actually makes that mode usable. Also no lag.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#21  Edited By sammo21

@mustainium: You also might want to check the PSN as they have some games heavily discounted right now in their 14 for 14 sale.

@naru_joe93 : Because Jeff is pretty jaded on 99.9% of video games these days and typically only loves games in the past sense not present. Also, most people in the "gaming press" crap on Killzone games. I look at them like Call of Duty games: if you are playing them for the single player...well, that's nice but they are all really a bread and butter MP games.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RonGalaxy

@sammo21 said:

@mustainium: You also might want to check the PSN as they have some games heavily discounted right now in their 14 for 14 sale.

@naru_joe93 : Because Jeff is pretty jaded on 99.9% of video games these days and typically only loves games in the past sense not present. Also, most people in the "gaming press" crap on Killzone games. I look at them like Call of Duty games: if you are playing them for the single player...well, that's nice but they are all really a bread and butter MP games.

I don't think that's true. I think he sticks to his opinions and doesnt butter things up to seem 'nicer' about it when he has some harsh feelings towards something. And I don't think he only has fond opinions of old games; just watched UPF and he seemed pretty into sports friends (a game that isn't even out yet).

I think his specific taste in things is wildly different than a lot of people, and I think that's fine. I think the whole giant bomb dynamic would suck if they all lauded the same games; doesnt make for very good conversation.

I was surprised that he was down on killzone because he liked 2+3 a lot, but Im not gonna fault him for having that opinion.

Sometimes I'm a bit disappointed when he doesn't really give a game its fair shake (like RDR and TLoU), but some people have a hard time trudging through the start of a game if it's first hours are slow (like those games). Again, I'm not going to fault him for not wanting to waste his time on a game that doesn't leave a good first impression.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Been thinking about picking up a Vita, there's a pretty good Mega Pack deal available that's appealing to me. That said I'm still on the fence. The Mega Pack includes 10 games, two of which (LittleBigPlanet Vita and Wipeout) are interesting me. Plus the likes of Persona 4: Golden is an hard temptation to defeat, I might actually get around to playing it. Plus the PS Plus games for Vita sound appealing to with Gravity Rush and Uncharted.

I just can't be sure right now. I'm keen on getting the OLED Vita version because of the screen before they go and release the new version in Europe. I'd appreciate peoples opinion on the system.
    You can also remote play with PS3 right? Probably won't be getting a PS4 for a while till all the issues are solved and there's more available. So I'm curious, thanks.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico:

I probably bought my Vita at the worse time (2 weeks before all the insane xmas bundles), and I still think it was a good deal. With all the crazy sales and PS+ I was able to get the following for less than $80:

• Persona 4 ($17)
    • Tearaway ($20)
    • Limbo ($4)
    • Hotline Miami (free)
    • Rayman Origins (free)
    • Guacamelee ($4)
    • Spelunky ($4)
    • Dragon's Crown ($23)
    • Uncharted (free)
    • Gravity Rush (free)
    • Soul Sacrifice (free)
    • Urban Trial Freestyle (free)
    • Wipeout (free)
    • Star Wars pinball (3 tables free)
    • Sine Mora (free)
    • Sonic All-Star Racing (free)

There's enough variety to satisfy any gaming preference. The ultimate question you would need to answer is "Will you immediately start using the Vita regularly or not?" If you're going to pick it up just to get the OLED but not really play games on it right now, then I'd say wait a little.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I'm a bit disappointed when he doesn't really give a game its fair shake (like RDR and TLoU), but some people have a hard time trudging through the start of a game if it's first hours are slow (like those games). Again, I'm not going to fault him for not wanting to waste his time on a game that doesn't leave a good first impression.

Idk, he made it to Mexico, I'd consider that a "fair shake" in RDR. I loved the game but the middle had a lot of flaws.

Jeff just likes what he likes, man. No reason to give him shit for it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RonGalaxy

@naru_joe93 said:

Idk, he made it to Mexico, I'd consider that a "fair shake" in RDR. I loved the game but the middle had a lot of flaws.

Jeff just likes what he likes, man. No reason to give him shit for it.

Not giving him shit at all. And I didn't know he made it that far in rdr, so I rescind my comment about that.

My original comment was me saying I liked Killzone Mercenary (agreeing with the OP), and one sentence of being surprised Jeff didnt like it (he liked 2+3, and this one is very similar to those, except in your freaking pocket!), but not saying his opinion was wrong. Sammo21 was giving the shit, calling Jeff jaded.

My second comment was disagreeing with Sammo21's 'shit' and defending Jeff. You kind of took a sentence out of context that was me showing disappointment, but understanding in Jeff, and then said I was giving him shit. Not at all what I did.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MachoFantastico

@nevalis said:

@machofantastico:

I probably bought my Vita at the worse time (2 weeks before all the insane xmas bundles), and I still think it was a good deal. With all the crazy sales and PS+ I was able to get the following for less than $80:

• Persona 4 ($17)
    • Tearaway ($20)
    • Limbo ($4)
    • Hotline Miami (free)
    • Rayman Origins (free)
    • Guacamelee ($4)
    • Spelunky ($4)
    • Dragon's Crown ($23)
    • Uncharted (free)
    • Gravity Rush (free)
    • Soul Sacrifice (free)
    • Urban Trial Freestyle (free)
    • Wipeout (free)
    • Star Wars pinball (3 tables free)
    • Sine Mora (free)
    • Sonic All-Star Racing (free)

There's enough variety to satisfy any gaming preference. The ultimate question you would need to answer is "Will you immediately start using the Vita regularly or not?" If you're going to pick it up just to get the OLED but not really play games on it right now, then I'd say wait a little.

There are games I'll certainly want to play straight away, the likes of LittleBigPlanet Vita and Wipeout to name just two. However I'm also considering the 3DS XL so it's a difficult choice.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@naru_joe93: Really? I thought I remember him kind of being down on KZ2 and 3 as well?

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29  Edited By GS_Dan

@sammo21: He reviewed KZ2, gave it 5 stars

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people already hit a good list of games to recommend you.

so all im going to say is, yea, i totally agree with you how surprising killzone on the vita was, actually had a decent story as well.

the vita is a pretty good platform, has a rock solid lineup of games.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been thinking about picking up a Vita, there's a pretty good Mega Pack deal available that's appealing to me. That said I'm still on the fence. The Mega Pack includes 10 games, two of which (LittleBigPlanet Vita and Wipeout) are interesting me. Plus the likes of Persona 4: Golden is an hard temptation to defeat, I might actually get around to playing it. Plus the PS Plus games for Vita sound appealing to with Gravity Rush and Uncharted.

I just can't be sure right now. I'm keen on getting the OLED Vita version because of the screen before they go and release the new version in Europe. I'd appreciate peoples opinion on the system.

You can also remote play with PS3 right? Probably won't be getting a PS4 for a while till all the issues are solved and there's more available. So I'm curious, thanks.

I got that exact bundle and it's pretty great. Some of the 10 games they advertise are really shit, like this dumb giraffe game and Ecolibrium, but other than that they're all good games with some heavy hitters (LBP, Wipeout, Motorstorm, etc).

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so in total I have:

• Killzone: Mercenary
    • Dragon's Crown
    • Soul Sacrifice (haven't played a whole lot of it yet, great combat mechanics and narrative presentation though)
    • NFS: Most Wanted (which is quite enjoyable despite the graphical downgrade)
    • Mortal Kombat (really liking this one as well, though I will say having to hold down R to pull off enhanced specials is tricky.)
    • Persona 4 (only played about an hour or so, but I can already see why this game is held in such high regard)
    • A couple of PSOne games: Metal Gear Solid (which works very well on the Vita), Resident Evil 1-3, and Medevil

Games I have but I haven't tried yet:

• Metal Gear Solid Collection (already have them on the PS3, but the ability to pause cut-scenes was enough of a reason to double dip)
    • Spelunky
    • Thomas was Alone
    • Lone Survivor
    • Sly 4
    • Hotline Miami (think I'm pretty close to finishing it on PS3, I hear it's even better on the Vita)
    • All the games in the PS+ Instant Collection.

Pretty much out of spending cash for the time being, but it was certainly worth it. The Vita is a fantastic piece of hardware.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being interested in both the Vita and 3DS XL, I did a list of games I'd be interested in playing and surprisingly the lists were pretty darn equal. That said I might have missed one or two games I'm not aware of. So It's a difficult choice.

The sensible choice is the 3DS XL simply because I know it'll have more support in the years to come, Sony seem settled with the Vita being an accessory to the home consoles now which does worry me. That said, that Vita is a beautiful looking piece of kit so it's a tough choice.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being interested in both the Vita and 3DS XL, I did a list of games I'd be interested in playing and surprisingly the lists were pretty darn equal. That said I might have missed one or two games I'm not aware of. So It's a difficult choice.

The sensible choice is the 3DS XL simply because I know it'll have more support in the years to come, Sony seem settled with the Vita being an accessory to the home consoles now which does worry me. That said, that Vita is a beautiful looking piece of kit so it's a tough choice.

Either way you can't go wrong. Both are great systems.

I think Fire Emblem alone is worth the purchase of a 3DS (or 2DS if you're looking to save some cash).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.