Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

I think it's time we talked about the Vita.

• 137 results
    algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By algertman

VITA - 4,021

3DS - 187,077

Take a long hard look at those Japanese hardware numbers. This week in Japan 3DS sold about 47x more units than Vita. The Vita has no huge releases on the horizon and the PS+ deal where they are just giving away games now won't help. I'm sorry, but it just won't. Can Sony fix this? Is it even fixable? They lost Monster Hunter to Nintendo and FFX, another PS2 remake, has never seen the light of day. I can't even think any of games coming out down the line. The Vita is dead and running off life support. I think it's about time we all just admitted that and moved past it. Sony would rather continue to lose money than let the Vita die with a little bit of dignity.

So goodbye Vita. Thanks for all the laughs.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nightriff

P4G in 5 days BUD

And how is the PS+ a non factor? Do you realize what you are getting with signing up for that?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Snail

What about that PS+ thing for the Vita? is that out yet? Do we know what titles they'll be giving away? That might make me get the console.

It's just weird that they're not really addressing the issue with the lack of system-selling titles. It's like Sony doesn't really care about this console. They're just "eh, it exists". But it still has potential.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nightriff
    avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By avantegardener

The good new is you'll probably be able to own this historical novelty for a fraction of the price very soon. Not to be facetious, is there a definitive list of games worth owning it, I really have'nt seen one game worth taking the plunge for.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

Yes, because Japan is the only place that matters. Also you should be looking at the American and European numbers, because Black Ops, and Assassins Creed just released, and Japan doesn't really play those games.

Also Animal Crossing was released last week in Japan, so I would expect the 3ds to be up in sales.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By MEATBALL

Vita is awesome and deserves to live.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus

I'll be getting one next week. Mostly for Persona, but a buddy and I have been playing tons of Phantasy Star Online 2... and now we can play more.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

@Nightriff said:

@Snail: They announced it yesterday

I kind of want a Vita now. The problem is that if I had one, I'd probably just end up having a ton of games I couldn't play if I ever stopped paying for PS+. In other words, if I do get a Vita I will sign up for PS+, and if I ever stop paying for PS+, my Vita would pretty much be without games.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By avantegardener

@MEATBALL said:

Can you elucidate on that point please? Because all evidence appears to be to the contrary.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Kerned

It seems like a nice piece of hardware with a serious lack of software. Too bad really.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nightriff

@Snail said:

@Nightriff said:

I kind of want a Vita now. The problem is that if I had one, I'd probably just end up having a ton of games I couldn't play if I ever stopped paying for PS+. In other words, if I do get a Vita I will sign up for PS+, and if I ever stop paying for PS+, my Vita would pretty much be without games.

I feel the same way, but for Uncharted and Gravity Rush it seems like a fantastic deal, might buy the year sub and beat what games i want. I don't have a big enough memory card for tons of games so I still have to buy some (P4G, AC3L, etc).

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

@Nightriff said:

Great offer, no doubt. But don't think it's a game changer as it is probably next to impossible to convey the value proposition to the mainstream consumer.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

The second guy in this video...

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Levius

I wonder when companies are going to realise that people won't buy consoles with no games on them. You can't expect people to buy a predominantly gaming device when you don't get an original release for weeks at a time, even then you get as many shitshows like Black Ops and Resistance, than you get a Gravity Rush or Assassins Creed. I don't know if the Vita can be a success, but as it is now it is not even getting a chance.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Revan_NL

Giving away free games isn't going to get Sony any money. You ask why Japan is important? The majority of PSP sales came from Japan. Monster Hunter and Japan made the PSP a succes, even though it really wasn't in the West. Sony admitted that sales in the US and Europe weren't all that hot and even Ninteno has said that the 3DS isn't selling as well as they hoped in the West. In short, Sony needs Japan in order to make the Vita viable. And I seriously doubt that P4 is going to boost Vita hardware sales for more then one week.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thatdutchguy

Yep, The Vita is dead. Looks like i made the right choice of buying the 3DS instead of the Vita.

I think Sony should just stop making handhelds before they can´t afford to make exclusive games for the ps3/ps4.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hosstile17

I own a 3DS and a Vita and both of them lack content. If it wasn't for Assassin's Creed on the Vita and Paper Mario on the 3DS, they probably would be in a drawer slowly losing charge.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By algertman

@Dagbiker said:

Yes, because Japan is the only place that matters. Also you should be looking at the American and European numbers, because Black Ops, and Assassins Creed just released, and Japan doesn't really play those games.

Also Animal Crossing was released last week in Japan, so I would expect the 3ds to be up in sales.

If you want people to make games for Vita Japan sure as damn hell matters.

@Nightriff said:

P4G in 5 days BUD

And how is the PS+ a non factor? Do you realize what you are getting with signing up for that?

P4G won't matter a damn bit outside of Japan. It barely made blip on the radar in Japan.

PS+ is a complete non factor. Won't even be noticeable.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By MEATBALL

@avantegardener said:

@MEATBALL said:

Can you elucidate on that point please? Because all evidence appears to be to the contrary.

While there's no single game that's worth owning a Vita for there's actually a really surprising variety of software available for it. I have a 32gb card filled with Vita retail games, download only games, PSP games, a few minis, PSone games and PS Mobile games (well, one, Super Crate Box - which is so much fucking better with buttons). Want a console-esque experience in a handheld? The Vita obviously has you covered, and we all talk about the pros and (what seems to be mostly the) cons of this the Vita can also offer more traditional handheld games and games that are more casual and suited to being picked up and played for a short burst (akin to what you might get out of a mobile game). The Playstation Store is actually pretty dang good, and here in PAL-land sales for it, particularly in the middle of the year, were great between Vita and PSP games. Vita retail games also tend to be pretty reasonably priced (though some are not so). It's also a great piece of companion hardware if you're a Playstation 3 owner thanks to the availability of titles that have cross-play and cross-buy etc. Now even more so if you're a Playstation Plus subscriber. Not to mention that it's a great piece of hardware with a really cool feature set.

The idea that sales numbers being poor means that the system should be put down is rubbish. We're not even a year into its life and while I do not expect things to turn around in any large way I think the Vita has enough to offer to carve out a niche following and be a perfectly reasonable purchase for anyone who is interested. Your mileage may vary of course, but for a system that is supposedly this universal piece of shit that should die I seem to use it an awful lot, meanwhile my 3DS sits around without charge in its battery (though I'm really looking forward to picking up Paper Mario Sticker Star).

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ExplodeMode

That's one week. And the 3DS got a huge release that week.

Their situation is bleak, but I think people are blowing these particular numbers out of proportion.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By onarum

So is monster hunter 4 100% confirmed NOT coming for Vita? because that is the single solitary thing that would make me get one(or a 3DS for that matter), but I would really like to get a monster hunter for the more powerful system this time... monster hunter TRI would have been a fucking bazillion times better if it had come out for the PS3 and not that POS wii, I dream of a monster hunter game with huge outdoor environments and no loading screens, populated by a shit ton of creatures, a way bigger world, lots of towns... that is just not possible on a weak nintendo system... man can you imagine a monster hunter on the PC? of course for that to be any good capcom could not possibly touch it, should be developed western side, but I digress.

Yeah it's no secret that the vita is doing far from good... and I seriously doubt persona will make any difference at all, it may sell better for a week or so but that's about it, monster hunter could save it though ;p

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kidavenger said:

Goddammit! That guy makes me want the Vita to fail so hard.

COD and AC3:L haven't recieved glowing praise, so I am kinda curious how the sales for those will pan out.

Honestly, the Vita just doesn't have a sustainable library it should have after one year and the future really doesn't seem that exciting. A shame really cause I wouldn't have minded getting one down the road if it was cheaper and had some games I were excited about. I mean having a Vita as a part of a PS+ ecosystem sounds nice and all. I'd get tons of nice bonuses for both that and my PS3. But every time I've done more than a glance at a Vita and pondered buying one, I just can't weigh enough positives to it. So far it'd essentially eb a Persona 4: Golden machine with some swank bonuses.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mirado

@onarum: As far as I can tell, it's a 3DS only release. They are bringing 3 Ultimate to the Wii U, but nothing to any Sony system to my knowledge.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#25  Edited By EpicSteve

@algertman said:

@Dagbiker said:

If you want people to make games for Vita Japan sure as damn hell matters.

@Nightriff said:

P4G in 5 days BUD

P4G won't matter a damn bit outside of Japan. It barely made blip on the radar in Japan.

PS+ is a complete non factor. Won't even be noticeable.

Yeah, not nearly enough people give a damn about Persona or even know what it is to make the Vita matter.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By morrelloman

PS All Stars with Cross buy and P4G this month. The device itself is awesome from a hardware perspective The further it works its way into the PSN ecosystem the more viable it becomes long term. I will easily concede however, that this first year has been a failure. Especially with the COD game being a total POS. Gravity Rush and Uncharted are both good games and getting those for free with PS+ is a great reason to buy now.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ExplodeMode

@TeflonBilly said:

@Kidavenger said:

Goddammit! That guy makes me want the Vita to fail so hard.

COD and AC3:L haven't recieved glowing praise, so I am kinda curious how the sales for those will pan out.

Honestly, the Vita just doesn't have a sustainable library it should have after one year and the future really doesn't seem that exciting. A shame really cause I wouldn't have minded getting one down the road if it was cheaper and had some games I were excited about. I mean having a Vita as a part of a PS+ ecosystem sounds nice and all. I'd get tons of nice bonuses for both that and my PS3. But every time I've done more than a glance at a Vita and pondered buying one, I just can't weigh enough positives to it. So far it'd essentially eb a Persona 4: Golden machine with some swank bonuses.

It hasn't even been a full year and it seems okay. AC seems fine, NFS seems fine, Gravity rush seems cool, Sound shapes/retro city rampage are cool downloadables, Virtues Last Reward is supposed to be great, The MGS remakes are really good, LBP Vita is supposed to be good, Persona 4 about to release. That's just off the top of my head and seems alright for... 9(?) months old?

The 3DS looks better right now and the PSV sales suck, and that bowtie dude sucks more, but I don't really see the awful system everyone else sees.

Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hilbert

I'll keep my Vita for all the Psone games I bought on it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @Nightriff

P4G in 5 days BUD

Persona 4 is a niche game, despite its popularity on Giant Bomb. Its impact on Vita sales will be minimal.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By probablytuna

Well if anything, at least I get to finally play Persona 4.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By DarthOrange

What games does the 3DS have coming out? Nintendo's shit sells like hot cakes because they try to appeal to everyone.  

No Caption Provided

The Vita sells like shit because they don't market at all. The Vita has plenty of games down the line, and tons of integrated support with the PS3, which is honestly the biggest reason to get one. PlayStation All-Stars and Ratchet & Clank are the big two coming out this month, and then there is Killzone Liberation, Tear Away, and Sly Cooper coming out next year along with smaller stuff like Guacamelee. What is coming up for the 3DS?
    devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By devilzrule27

I love my Vita. Play it every day. And I'll play it even more when P4G comes out.

That said next year is going to be the make or break year for it. We'll be getting the second wave of first party games coming out with Killzone, Soul Sacrafice made by Inafune, Sly Cooper, and TearAway plus some interesting 3rd party games like Guacamelee!, Muramasa, FFX, and maybe Bioshock though I highly doubt it.

Also I fail to see how PS+ is a non factor when it's one of the bigger feature points all PlayStation hardware.

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BirthWild

I really want to love the VITA, I just watched the trailer for Shin Megami IV due for 3DS in 2013 and got more excited for that. I like the strength that the VITA has in comparison to the 3DS. I, Like everyone else have little reason to get one right now. I beat persona 4 and don't feel like jumping back in right now, Soul Sacrifice is supposed to be the PS VITA's Monster Hunter but without the name I'm sure it won't elicit the same sales unless Japan likes sony hardware more and will settle for Soul Sacrifice (which looks cool) but as far as I'm concerned I need more to pull me in. I was thinking about getting one today actually just to put basically faith in the system and hope in the long term I would be rewarded with fun things, which the PSN store might bring about! But it's hard to determine if it will or not. A lot of unknowns for the systems future, but currently known makes it look bleak. I still kinda want one though ;)

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By niamahai

Was there any big announcement for Vita at TGS?

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By devilzrule27

@niamahai said:

Was there any big announcement for Vita at TGS?

Do things get announced at TGS anymore? They announced new titles at the European Expo and then some Japanese centric titles and PS+ at TGS.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Blastroid

Another promising thing coming to the vita is cross play. Little Big Planet is creating an entire pack just for this ability where one player is on the Vita while the other is on the TV.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Lava

I've been really happy with my Vita. MotorStorm RC is a ton of fun on the go, and I really enjoyed Wipeout 2048. Frobisher Says! for it has also been a ton of fun. I am really looking forward to PS+ coming it next week. I already have it for the PS3 and have downloaded so much free stuff that I love. I love the Uncharted series and haven't had the money to buy Uncharted: Golden Abyss so I'll be glad to finally play it even if it didn't get a great score. It may not have the best library right now but I can tell it's building and growing. And with the cross-play and cross-buy coming with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault I am really excited for those. Getting both versions of PSAS for $60 and both versions of R&C for $20 seems like a really great deal to me.

I think it still has plenty of life in it, it just needs more games and more incentive, which is exactly what PS+ is bringing to it. And games-wise I'm hoping developers are hard at work coming up with titles for it. I think eventually someone will get the FPS right on it, just have to give them time.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By Sergio

@avantegardener said:

The good new is you'll probably be able to own this historical novelty for a fraction of the price very soon. Not to be facetious, is there a definitive list of games worth owning it, I really have'nt seen one game worth taking the plunge for.

To be honest, if you owned a PSP, there probably is no reason for you to own a Vita yet. I skipped the PSP, so I have a backlog of PSP games on my Vita that are worth playing.

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BirthWild

@devilzrule27: OH muramasa is coming to the vita!? Well Shoot. Now I might get one... dang it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@DarthOrange: Sony have been advertising the Vita pretty much non stop and there are TV commercials playing almost constantly. The problem is that they're trying to market it as a "hardcore" gaming device, while lacking any games that the general population cares about. A unique Assassins Creed game is probably the best thing it has and it's apparently broken to the point of being nearly unplayable. The £200 price point, without including any kind of bundled game or even memory card also doesn't help.

Even if you're a big fan of those upcoming games you listed, they're very minor releases which are unlikely to draw much excitement even from people on these forums (and let's face it, Sony Smash Brothers is just flat out not good). The 3DS on the other hand has Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest VII, Bravely Default and the very high probability of a new Zelda (or Majora's Mask) and Pokemon game.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By l4wd0g

Monster Hunter? MONSTER HUNTER!

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Alexandru

@Class_A_Ninja: It must suck so much to pay $250 and pretend it's a PSP...

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jesterroyal

I don't understand why why people who dont own the system are so against it. I personally enjoy the vita and its only getting stronger. Little King Story for Vita is a good game marred by some bad slowdown. Theres a lot of stuff that is getting better for vita and I truly enjoy the device. I've played TONS of hot shots golf and tons of other titles. I say just wait. Its not time to take it out back and shoot it as badly as many people who don't own the device seem to want to.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By joshth

I own both and they both severely lack the content I desire. But if I were to pick one, I would pick the Vita, it's a much better system over all. At least in my opinion.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ

@CptBedlam said:

@Nightriff said:

Great offer, no doubt. But don't think it's a game changer as it is probably next to impossible to convey the value proposition to the mainstream consumer.

There's a lot of ways to phrase it that the public would get it. Subscribe now for FREE games. That's direct enough. You can say "Hey we're the Netflix of games" which is a massive stretch, but also something the public can understand.

@Alexandru said:

@Class_A_Ninja: It must suck so much to pay $250 and pretend it's a PSP...

On one hand, yes. On the other... it's a REALLY awesome PSP. Between Persona 2, 3, and 4 this thing has basically become my Persona machine, and I'm cool with that.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monster hunter essentially saved the psp in japan. I don't believe one has been released in japan yet has there? I could've swore they announced 3g or 4 on it, but I'm sure I'm wrong. Theres no reason for an american or a japanese player to buy the thing. Every one keeps saying persona 4, which sure. Thats probably the only real reason to buy it, but thats nowhere near a system seller for me.

The proprietary vita memory cards is what killed it on digital. Why would anybody want to spend the overpriced prices for them? Using regular sd or micro sd cards, and use copy protection like on the 360- ALONE would've sold more vita units. Thats a guarantee.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By devilzrule27

@jesterroyal said:

I don't understand why why people who dont own the system are so against it. I personally enjoy the vita and its only getting stronger. Little King Story for Vita is a good game marred by some bad slowdown. Theres a lot of stuff that is getting better for vita and I truly enjoy the device. I've played TONS of hot shots golf and tons of other titles. I say just wait. Its not time to take it out back and shoot it as badly as many people who don't own the device seem to want to.

I will never understand it. It's mind boggling. People should want systems to do well, it just means there will be more good games to play.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By algertman

@devilzrule27 said:

@jesterroyal said:

I will never understand it. It's mind boggling. People should want systems to do well, it just means there will be more good games to play.

I'm not against the Vita. I'm against Sony and their stupid arrogance. They are killing the Playstation brand over their own ego.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By Bollard

Is the PSP still outselling the Vita in Japan? I know Japan isn't the most valid measure to go by as there are (surprisingly) more places in the world than just Japan, but damn the Vita is doing terrible, and always has been. No good games and no consoles sold each week, the Vita died a long time ago in my eyes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.