Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

I'd label PS Vita *Playstation's Best-Of System*. Do you agree with such a label?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll I'd label PS Vita *Playstation's Best-Of System*. Do you agree with such a label? (49 votes)

Yes. 35%
    No. 31%
    Other. 14%
    Results. 20%

I got my Vita a year ago. I've been playing it a lot since then. Looking at what I've been playing, and what I've lined-up to play in my library - the term that comes to mind immediately is *Best-Of*.

Best of Playstation games. Best of Indie games. Best of Retro games. My Vita library reads like a condensation of the best games of the past 20 years of gaming - and the Vita is the perfect system to play these games on. Pretty much all games, no matter how old they are, come to new life on my Vita. 20 years old SNES-era games literally pop of the screen with vitality.

Next-up, MGS 3 Snake Eater HD, which I loathed in its initial release. I wonder if the *Best-Of* system can finally sell me on why MGS3 is considered the best iteration of the MGS franchise by many. I'm certain it will not disappoint. It will come to life on Vita.

Thinking at the time you've spent with your Vitas, do you agree with the notion of it being a *Best-Of* system first and foremost?

• 
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mcfart

Vita's only good games are ports. Everything else is gimmicky touch bs.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By emfromthesea

Eh, I dunno. Big, recent Playstation franchises like Uncharted haven't exactly been represented well on the system. I feel it's a terrific companion system to the Playstation consoles, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "Best-Of" system.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

@mcfart said:

Nah. Gravity Rush, Tearaway, and VLR are fantastic. And aside from Gravity Rush, I can't think of any Vita game I've played with meaningful, mandatory, poor touch controls. Tearaway uses the touch very well.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hollitz: Uncharted: Golden Abyss is riddled with mandatory and poor touch controls. Is Gravity Rush really that good? I played for about an hour and wasn't too into it. Should I keep poking at it?

My vita is absolutely a "Best Of" system. I love it!

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be close beside the fact that it does not sell and the ports are often lackluster. I would call ps4 the best in that it nailed almost everything when it came out.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I freaking love my Vita, I bought it at just the right time, since all of these games are coming out for it. I REALLY hope the new Binding of Issac games is released on it as well.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#7 riostarwind  Moderator

I've always enjoyed picking up Playstation systems since they always had quite a bit of variety in the games people make for it. Since it has so much variety it's hard to obtain the "best of" label. That's not really a bad thing either since it gives anyone that owns a Vita quite a few different choices of games to pick up.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People keep saying they want big AAA franchises to be great on Vita. They're waiting for that 'killer app'. I don't know why. There's already a broad library of games that play exceptionally well and are a great match for the platform.

The Vita is what it is, and it's doing what it is really well at the moment.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I'd label it my Spelunky Machine. I wouldn't have it any other way.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bsstephan

I love my Vita for Japanese games and indies. Within that scope I feel it's absolutely the best system for that right now. If that's "Best-Of", then hell yeah, otherwise, ehn...

@jazz_bcaz said:

People keep saying they want big AAA franchises to be great on Vita. They're waiting for that 'killer app'. I don't know why. There's already a broad library of games that play exceptionally well and are a great match for the platform.

The Vita is what it is, and it's doing what it is really well at the moment.

Exactly. There are some things the Vita doesn't do well and I feel that the big glaring one is AAA franchises. "Glaring" because a lot of people beat that horse to death as an excuse for why they're not selling, but honestly, the Vita (and PSP) have been best when they're playing to their strengths, and that's variety and smaller games. I personally couldn't ask for more.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once Binding of Isaac: Rebirth comes out for vita, nothing else will matter.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Persona 4 & Spelunky machine, whatever PS+ (EU) gives me is just icing on the cake. Probably the best handheld ever made that unfortunately had to go up against Nintendo.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People keep saying they want big AAA franchises to be great on Vita.

I don't. I just want Patapon 4 and all the other crazy shit from the PSP era.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: Oh yeah they were pretty great. I still think the Vita is finding it's stride but I've been feeling that for a while. When does it cross the line? I don't know.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hollitz said:

@mcfart said:

Nah. Gravity Rush, Tearaway, and VLR are fantastic. And aside from Gravity Rush, I can't think of any Vita game I've played with meaningful, mandatory, poor touch controls. Tearaway uses the touch very well.

VLR's a port. Gravity Rush is gimmick touch BS. Tearway is more gimmicky touch BS.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I mean, I LOVE my Vita now and its a great system with some great games but The PSOne to me is still THE system as far as sony systems go. And I think PS4 is positioned to usurp the throne soon.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

Eh, it's more like a "we have a few good games from other platforms that you can now play on a handheld" system.

I don't want AAA games, necessarily, but I would like to see the Vita get the same kind of original games support that the 3DS is getting or even what the PSP got. I really like playing my Vita but I would like it even more if I could feel like I bought the thing for certain games that I can't play elsewhere. Meanwhile, the 3DS has Bravely Default, SMTIV, Fire Emblem Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, Etrian Odyssey, and other games of a pretty high quality that you must own a 3DS to play.

My Vita's greatest value now is in playing games that I didn't get the chance to play before - several PSP and PS1 games, some ports, etc. Some of the Japanese stuff seems interesting. There's stuff to play on it, there just isn't anything exclusive to it that really knocks my socks off.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original, exclusive, noteworthy games of recent history:

• Tearaway
    • Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God
    • Toukiden
    • TxK
    • Ys: Memories of Celceta
    • OlliOlli
    • Danganronpa
    • Soul Sacrifice Delta
    • Demon Gaze

You can say a lot of things about the Vita's library, but that it doesn't have high-quality exclusives is not one of them. Also, in practically no way is VLR "a port" unless all multiplatform games are "a port".

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@bsstephan said:

Original, exclusive, noteworthy games of recent history:

• Tearaway
    • Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God
    • Toukiden
    • TxK
    • Ys: Memories of Celceta
    • OlliOlli
    • Danganronpa
    • Soul Sacrifice Delta
    • Demon Gaze

You can say a lot of things about the Vita's library, but that it doesn't have high-quality exclusives is not one of them. Also, in practically no way is VLR "a port" unless all multiplatform games are "a port".

I'm not interested in borderline loli games. It has some high-quality exclusives, not enough imo. I own a Vita but yeah...

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think of it totally like that, but its a pretty good description. I think it has a really diverse exclusive line of titles ,that wouldn't necessarily call mainstream. And I really like it for that ,but that can be hit or miss. I mainly use it for the indie games and ports/PSP games.There's a lot of good stuff on the Vita, its just a little hard to find because no one talks about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.