Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Is anyone excited about the 3G version of the Vita?

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I have decided that I will buy a Playstation Vita at launch, but there is no way I am buying the 3G. I will never use it. Most everywhere I go has wifi and it uses AT&T which I have a bad history with and hate. So far it looks like I will buy a wifi version, a 4 gig memory stick and Lumines.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

Doesn't a smart phone make that redundant?

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By topsteer

@big_jon: Not everyone has a smartphone, I have a pretty basic cell phone with no intention of getting a smartphone. Even so, I'll be getting the Wi-Fi version since I'll probably only ever play it at home.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By big_jon

@TopSteer: I guess I just think if you're going 3G just get a smartphone is my point.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @TopSteer said:

@big_jon: Not everyone has a smartphone, I have a pretty basic cell phone with no intention of getting a smartphone. Even so, I'll be getting the Wi-Fi version since I'll probably only ever play it at home.

Also near every fast food place/mall/anywhere now seems to have a Wi fi Signal 
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hot_Karl

@TopSteer: But you're becoming the minority, especially for the type of audience who would pick up a Vita at launch. The 3G stuff does seem to make good use of the Vita's features, however.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By topsteer

@big_jon: Yeah, I just don't see who the 3g model is for. I guess it's for people like me without smartphones, but I doubt that I would ever use it.

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By pandashake

saw this posted in another thread. If you're interested in a vita, check out the new 3g bundle at amazon

Recently lost my psp, so I was going to pick up a vita. Guess it'll be a 3g model now.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jgf

I have no clue what I would do with 3G. It seems far to laggy to play online over 3G. And for the other stuff like surfing websites, communication, ... there are far better devices available.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It seems like an unnecessary addition that wouldn't be worth the cash, to me at least. Maybe if there wasn't a monthly fee (or whatever the payment thing for it is), but even then, that's $50 I could spend on a game or something.

JaguarCRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By JaguarCRO

I want to have the option going forward. To be fair I bought an iPad 1 with 3G support for my wife and she never used it. And that price difference was $129.

Personally for me the First Edition Bundle is the way to go because I want to get the thing a week early. I am really interested to see what the prices for games on PSN for PS Vita will be.

Oh and just to add the 3G models include a free game on PSN (No details given as to which title or how much it is worth) as well as a free month to try out the service. Plus it doesn't have a contract so you can cancel any time.

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrMcKittrick

Honestly I think 3G is stupid for a handheld. I wish the prerelease bundle came with WIFI only.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

don't you have to pay extra a month for a 3G plan? that's kind of redundant with my cellphone plan and will eat up my bank account.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By M_Shini

I dont play handhelds outside my house, and im fine with downloading over wi-fi, so not really needed, and seeing what the Vita games are kinda just supports to use it at home anyway.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one less contract I don't need.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm really excited for Vita. The hardware and services look great and the launch lineup, in my opinion, is fantastic. That said the 3G version is going to tank hard. The 3G version isn't even coming out in Canada, no carrier wanted it.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By awesomeusername

As most people said, I would get the wifi version. If I want to play multiplayer or surf the internet, I'd like to do that at home. I also live in New York and rather no get shot for a damn handheld.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By musubi

@Marz said:

don't you have to pay extra a month for a 3G plan? that's kind of redundant with my cellphone plan and will eat up my bank account.

It would be nice if you were already a AT&T customer if you could piggyback the vita onto your data usage plan for your phone. Still, if your on the go and need to be connected carrying around a mi-fi hotspot seems to be the way to go.

c0kemusheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By c0kemusheen

In all honesty I don't understand the demand for a portable system like Vita. Just get an iphone, it's cheaper all around especially if you get a 2 yr contract i got mine for 50$. The graphics are amazing and battery life is better than my psp ever was. I could be wrong, but it seems like most good developers are putting out ios versions of popular games so there is definitely no shortage of good content. That's just my 2 cents

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rattle618

Oh Sony how I would love to meet your market researching team. Of course nobody wants to have to pay extra to deal with at&t for a service that they dont really need on that device.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jgf

@ThisIsAdam: In the german version of amazon GPS is definitely listed in the specification table of the WiFi-only model. So it should be included.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I actually ordered a 3G Vita against my original stance. After looking at the wifi and coupling a memory stick, I thought I might as well just buy the 299 3G.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vexxan

I don't need another device with 3G, simple as that. I doubt the 3G functions of the Vita will be very useful anyway. Can't imagine games would run smooth over it either.

JaguarCRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JaguarCRO

Control options are the key. The Vita can do every game the iPhone can do (touch, location and gyro based), plus it can do any game the PS3/360 can do, and it can do new games that iPhone, PS3, and 360 can't do that utilize rear touch, augmented reality and portable twin-stick plus a number of buttons.

We are definitely only seeing the first round of games and I expect the options on the platform to expand tremendously in the next year.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I have no need, nor do I really want the 3G enabled version, but that's the one I'll be getting.  The new bundle just makes more sense to me financially. 

Avatar image for p_pigly_hogswine
    P_Pigly_Hogswine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By P_Pigly_Hogswine

No, I just pre-ordered a WiFi model. Can't justify the extra cost for 3G version nor the additional data costs when I'll mostly use it at home where I have wireless anyway.

JaguarCRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JaguarCRO

3G model has been confirmed by Sony America to be the only unit with GPS. The Wi-FI version tries to do location based on Wi-Fi Base Station positions (i.e. not well). I remember having the old iPhone 3G without GPS and I definitely think GPS is a big upgrade for location aware devices. Now the question is will there be compelling games or modes that use it. That is still to be seen.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By Hailinel

I have no need for a 3G Vita. I've already got a 4G smartphone.

CloudLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CloudLogic

Once Gravity Daze comes out here in Tokyo on Thursday, I shall buy a wifi Vita. I have a iPhone 4S so who cares about a 3G Vita?

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By lethalki11ler

Got my iPhone for the 3G-ness, comes to worse I can use it as a personal hotspot :) I'm getting the Wi-Fi version.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I imagine it will eventually become useful for some weird game built around it for some reason, but I'm not interested. I'm buying Wi-fi since I don't want any additional costs. It's nice to have the option, but I don't need it atm.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Shakezula84

I was firm on not wanting the 3G version. I preordered the WiFi version and figured the money id save id use towards a memory card. Then they announced the early release bundle and I thought the 4GB memory card was to small for me and the game that comes with it I don't want.

Then they announced the first edition bundle. That is tempting, and it would be nice to have the 3G radio as an option in the future. What if they announce something awesome. Also with Netflix announced for the Vita playing videos on the go would be nice.

The conflict for me is my cell phone. I got a 3G smartphone that I can tether with. Plus when you tether the Vita will think its on proper WiFi so you don't have a download cap. Cost wise ($45 for a 4 gig tether plan on my phone or two 3 gig plans for $30 each) it seems smarter to go the WiFi route.

As a side note on 3G multiplayer. I believe no launch game allows play over 3G (but has other functionality, like ModNation Racers allows track downloads over 3G) but it is something we will get. FYI I play Battlefield 3 on my PS3 while it's tethered to my ATRIX. And I've had full games with no problems. I give it no later then xmas '13 when well have a really awesome game that allows online play over 3G (and its that fake "4G" AT&T; is using, so its faster then what we've had. Trust me. My ATRIX "4G" gets some good speeds).

That's my only concern. A year or two from now 3G vita may be amazing.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything said about the web browser has been really....really bad. In that case, the 3g version has no place in this world.

You can't play the majority of vita games multiplayer over 3g, and you can only buy small games anyways. Sure not everyone has a smartphone.... But getting a att prepaid phone, and paying 20$ a month for the same service + WAY more, is the way to go. The browsers not the worst, gps is useful, and plus you have a phone.

Unless the contracts get cheaper, or the memory sticks get cheaper, the 3g is useless to everyone. Wouldn't be surprised if they discontinued the model at some point.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Karl_Boss

I have a feeling the 3G model will end up being discontinued.

Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ehker

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

I have a feeling the 3G model will end up being discontinued.

So far the 3G is outselling the WiFi model on Amazon.

I don't know how much of a financial incentive is in it for Sony, but there's certainly one for AT&T to push 3G, so offering incentives for the 3G so far are working to push costumers to that model.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Shakezula84
    @Ehker I bet AT&T; is providing the radio or subsidizing it a little.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Enigma777

I am now that it comes wit ha free 8GB card. Plus as an owner of a wi-fi ipad there's been a few times when I really wish I had access to 3G and I don't plan on making that mistake again.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kindgineer

Tired of Japanese companies throwing useless crap on our gaming hand helds. Nintendo has social features that are nearly obsolete in the USA (unless you live in New York or somewhere popular in California). Focus on making a better UI (sorry but the XMB/Nintendo OS blows) because that's what people really care about. This reminds me of crap ware that computer companies throw onto your OEM when you build a computer by them.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hosstile17

I am gonna get the 3G launch bundle because of the included bonuses. Plus, I will probably trade it in, when they come out with an improved model, so I will get more money back from it.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Enigma777

@ccampb89 said:

Tired of Japanese companies throwing useless crap on our gaming hand helds. Nintendo has social features that are nearly obsolete in the USA (unless you live in New York or somewhere popular in California). Focus on making a better UI (sorry but the XMB/Nintendo OS blows) because that's what people really care about. This reminds me of crap ware that computer companies throw onto your OEM when you build a computer by them.

You're crazy. The XMB is awesome. Way better than any other console's interface, by far. We're talking light years of difference here.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kindgineer

@Enigma777 said:

@ccampb89 said:

You're crazy. The XMB is awesome. Way better than any other console's interface, by far. We're talking light years of difference here.

Should've put in my opinion, sorry. Anyway, IMHO! (lol) The XMB is by far the best, but that's not saying much when none of them are that great.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Enigma777

@ccampb89: I see. Also I should mention that the Vita doesn't use the XMB but an iOS-like interface. I haven't used it so I don't know if it's any good, but just pointing that out.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shakezula84
    @Enigma777 I tried it out at my local GameStop. I miss the DMV.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.