It's Official: The NGP is the PlayStation Vita, and It Has a Price [UPDATED]

Posted by Alex (2405 posts) -

At its E3 2011 press conference, Sony finally ended the long, excruciating wait to know what its new handheld console will be branded.

Surprise! It's the thing that's been rumored for weeks: the PlayStation Vita.

Stalwart Sony executive Kaz Hirai revealed the name during a conference presentation, in which he also gave a brief look at some of the social networking tools built into the hardware, and announced both wi-fi and 3G-enabled models of the device. He also announced that AT&T would be the exclusive network carrier for the device, which elicited a rather massive audible groan from the audience in attendance.

The price of the two different models has just been released via press release. The 3G model will retail for $299, while the wi-fi only model will go for $249.

#1 Posted by Alex (2405 posts) -

At its E3 2011 press conference, Sony finally ended the long, excruciating wait to know what its new handheld console will be branded.

Surprise! It's the thing that's been rumored for weeks: the PlayStation Vita.

Stalwart Sony executive Kaz Hirai revealed the name during a conference presentation, in which he also gave a brief look at some of the social networking tools built into the hardware, and announced both wi-fi and 3G-enabled models of the device. He also announced that AT&T would be the exclusive network carrier for the device, which elicited a rather massive audible groan from the audience in attendance.

The price of the two different models has just been released via press release. The 3G model will retail for $299, while the wi-fi only model will go for $249.

#2 Posted by Nigthguy (71 posts) -

Lame name 

#3 Posted by Scratch (628 posts) -

Alright PS Vita. Who gives a shit about the name as long as the hardware is worth it.

#4 Posted by Animoz (26 posts) -

Sure people thought the Wii was a stupid name.

#5 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

@Animoz said:

And they were right then too.

#6 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

Dont necessarily like it... so I will just call it PSV

#7 Posted by rmanthorp (4064 posts) -

Not a fuck was given.

#8 Posted by Xymox (2116 posts) -

And people will still call it the NGP. 

#9 Posted by President_Barackbar (3474 posts) -

Dumbest name they could've picked.

#10 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I think a more appropriate name would have been PSP2.

#11 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

Did they make all these presenters run around the block before going on stage? I feel out of breath just watching them.

#12 Posted by matthewlevel (6 posts) -

No 3G buy from me. AT&T doesn't even have 3G yet where I live in Ohio.

#13 Posted by SpudBud (11 posts) -

$250 is a pretty good price.

#14 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1539 posts) -

Bad name, bad price, and most likely bad support with a ton of cell phone game ports.

#15 Posted by Norusdog (346 posts) -

haven't learned from the psp have we...this thing won't be any more popular or sell any better then the psp....initially it'll have a lot of sales..then no one will give a shit about it.  $250-$300? HAHAHA no.

#16 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -

As much I want to want one, I just don't.

#17 Posted by Brendan (8170 posts) -

Let's just get to what we're all going to call it for the next 5 years:

PSV

Aaand we're off! Easy.

#18 Posted by President_Evil (185 posts) -

Wow, $250 isn't too bad a price for the base model.

#19 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -

Holy cow. I was expecting 50 dollars more on each model. These prices are fantastic. Kudos to Sony for the price of that hardware. Shame on you for that disgusting name.

#20 Posted by Brendan (8170 posts) -

@Norusdog said:

haven't learned from the psp have we...this thing won't be any more popular or sell any better then the psp....initially it'll have a lot of sales..then no one will give a shit about it. $250-$300? HAHAHA no.

Although I bought one, the 3DS was about $250 at release. This system is comparable to that price, and I think that'll help them a lot more this gen over the long run.

#21 Posted by DonPixel (2628 posts) -

250 not bad

#22 Posted by DHunter329 (86 posts) -

AT&T is horrible and so is Sony for giving them exclusivity. Great going guys. Looks like wi-fi only for me.

#23 Posted by Peacemaker (1107 posts) -

Nintendo needs to drop the 3ds price ASAP. Compared to the vita it looks like a last gen device. 

#24 Edited by Mikazukinoyaiba (105 posts) -
 Ugh AT&T exclusivtivity? That's lame and is what I was concerned about, mobile gaming becoming the clusterfuck that is mobile phones with carrier exclusives, contracts, early termination fees, etc.  

Also what is with the $50 difference between models? As for everyone claiming that $249.99 is a bad price, yet somehow it is right for the 3DS you're all hypocrites. 

$249 is way less than I figured something with these many features stuffed in it would cost. Then again, who would have expected Nintendo to release such an expensive handheld at the original price of the Wii.

@onan said:

@Animoz said:

And they were right then too.

People also once thought Dreamcast was a stupid name, so was the name "Nintendo" and "Playstation" and "Xbox" etc etc
#25 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

$300? Fuck yes! Day one baby!

#26 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

A source would be nice

#27 Posted by bwooduhs (1618 posts) -

Wow, suprised at the price.

#28 Posted by Semantix (27 posts) -

If the UK gets a fair price conversion instead of getting the dollar-for-pound shafting we normally get, then this is an amazing price.

#29 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

That would have been an amazing pricepoint if it didn't have provider exclusivity.

I'm curious how that will be handle in my part of the world.

#30 Edited by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -

250$...hmm maybe i may actauly be able to afford this..still being a minor though and rely on my parent(s) for most of the shit i want/need, i doubt it though, lucky enough i own a PS3.
#31 Posted by Beer (53 posts) -

Game consoles have historically had pretty shitty names. I mean what the fuck is an "XBox?" I don't think Vita is so bad personally. Not saying it's good though.

#32 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -
Before anyone goes apeshit over the feature set, remember that E3 hardware announcements are at least 50% bullshit. We'll see what features actually make it to market.
#33 Posted by wfolse1 (456 posts) -

I actually think the name is really good and the price is even better. I really don't understand what people have against the name. Should everything just be 3 letter acronyms?

#34 Posted by ghostchant (125 posts) -

I have no opinion

#35 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

Wow keeping it at 250 is awesome for the PSV... Great for SOny.

#36 Posted by CharlesSurge (126 posts) -

YESSSSS

#37 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -

I figured it would be about $50 more expensive, but at least it gives them a model that is competitively priced with the 3DS (unless Nintendo pulls a price drop). I'll get one probably, because it will have Monster Hunter, and I can't say no to that.

#38 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -
@theworldbreaker said:
250$...hmm maybe i may actauly be able to afford this..still being a minor though and rely on my parent(s) for most of the shit i want/need, i doubt it though, lucky enough i own a PS3.
Mow some lawns and shovel some snow. I always had money as a kid. 
#39 Posted by Zanny (58 posts) -

Calling it the PSV is strange for me as there is also a Dutch soccer club with that name (not that anyone cares really :P).

Well whatever, the hardware and early games look promising and the price seems fair. At least it's lower then expected.

#40 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

Will probably buy at 250

#41 Posted by Nasar7 (2813 posts) -

Wow thats really reasonable. I'm sold!

#42 Posted by TehJedicake (903 posts) -

PERFECT price

#43 Posted by NDN_Shadow (123 posts) -

$250 for PSV is great. AT&T exclusivity not so much...

#44 Posted by Wuddel (2100 posts) -

299€ for the 3G is stupid. even if you add 19% tax it should top out at 245€

#45 Posted by Skittlenizzle (72 posts) -

This is surprisingly affordable. I was expecting a much higher price. Maybe I might actually get one.

#46 Posted by Mikazukinoyaiba (105 posts) -
@Malakhii said:
@theworldbreaker said:
Mow some lawns and shovel some snow. I always had money as a kid. 
he could also sell some drugs, make more money quicker 

contact your local drug dealer
#47 Edited by Twiggy199 (509 posts) -

$299 and 299 euros, basically means us brits PAY LESS THAN NORTH AMERICA!!!, finally we don't get fucked over by the prices!! HAPPY FACE!! (unless its £299 then sad face is coming out..)

#48 Posted by rmanthorp (4064 posts) -

Not bad! Bet it will translate awfully into pounds like the go >.>

#49 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1838 posts) -

Not a bad price at all. Might actually check it out for that amount of money.

#50 Posted by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -

I want to get a new handheld for Christmas, but I'm not sure if I want PS Vita or 3DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.