Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Jeff is Right about VitaTV

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By spraynardtatum

The Vita needs to be allowed to be tethered to the VitaTV and used as a controller. It's called the VitaTV....

Anyone who says otherwise is high.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Uhhh does the Vita have the same number of buttons as a dualshock? How would that work?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@vuud said:

Uhhh does the Vita have the same number of buttons as a dualshock? How would that work?

No, but it can emulate the extra buttons with a combination of the front and rear touch screens. I think he actually meant, however, that you should be able to tether the Vita in order to play ALL Vita games from the VitaTV and not just most of them, as they said at the press conference.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Yeah. Sounds like a great idea. Except for the tethered bit. Why not just use the integrated WiFi or BlueTooth?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@vuud said:

What Jeff meant was that he should be able to play Vita games on his TV, not that his Vita should be able to control console games.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spraynardtatum
    Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spraynardtatum
    @vuud:
    @vuud:

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I see a thread with a dozen comments, half of which are the creators'. No thank you.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Whatever they call it, I'm pretty sure that Sony's expectations are low. The hardware bombed hard in Japan and while rebranding it in the west might move some units, unless something is able to turn it around it's basically dead on arrival.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: All I'm saying, and I'm sorry to @ch3burashka for speaking again in my own thread, is that VitaTV beats FireTV and AppleTV if it can reliably also play vita games on top of streaming apps like Netflix and such. Throw in remote play on top of that or Playstation Now and you have a seriously impressive little box.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@hailinel: All I'm saying, and I'm sorry to @ch3burashka for speaking again in my own thread, is that VitaTV beats FireTV and AppleTV if it can reliably also play vita games on top of streaming apps like Netflix and such. Throw in remote play on top of that or Playstation Now and you have a seriously impressive little box.

Yeah, but...how many people are actually going to buy the thing? Again, it flopped in Japan. It was an absolute commercial failure in that territory. And given the general response that the Vita itself has received in the rest of the world, save for a die-hard fanbase that appreciate it seemingly based on the strength of its indie library, its chances of it finding success on this second go aren't particularly great. It doesn't help that key developers like Square Enix are actively avoiding development on it; everyone assumed that a port of Final Fantasy Type-0 would be a must get for the Vita, but instead it's being ported to consoles and not even Sony has been able to change their mind.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By spraynardtatum

@hailinel: Well, people in the US buy the shit out of AppleTV and Roku and FireTV and this falls into the exact same price range as those at $99. I don't think it's crazy to think a Sony version of that same device would sell well. Not to mention it has the ability to play familiar games with great controllers. I get that it failed in Japan but I think the US is an extremely different market and this type of product is really popular here right now. Maybe that means everyone already has one and this will flop here too but if it works well as an extension of the Vita, PS3, and PS4 it has a pretty great hook to convert people. With Playstation Now and remote play it's basically a Playstation Steam Machine.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

It's one of those "why not?" things that seems weird to me in both the "why would you own both systems" factor and the "well obviously it's going to happen so why not implement this seemingly simple thing to unlock the entire catalog?"

But yes, I get that from the "everyday gamer" segment, you may actually have the Vita, PS TV, And PS4 because they would all have interchangeable functionality - it's just a crazy expensive thing to attempt and not a lot of people would do it.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Did it bomb in Japan because one of it's biggest selling points was points, the ability to stream a PS4 to another TV was pointless as they didn't have PS4s when it launched? I don't think Sony are betting on this being a major seller anyway. It's a cheap and cheerful little device that does a bunch of stuff that nobody really needs it to do.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By monkeyking1969

The Vita needs to be allowed to be tethered to the VitaTV and used as a controller. It's called the VitaTV....

Why of course the idea should be to connect one Vita you buy to yet another Vita you buy...such grand logic. Or...or... they could just put an HDMI port on the damn thing and connect that you you TV...

Nah, that would only make sense; and nobody wants that sort of thing getting around.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum said:

Why of course the idea should be to connect one Vita you buy to yet another Vita you buy...such grand logic. Or...or... they could just put an HDMI port on the damn thing and connect that you you TV...

Nah, that would only make sense; and nobody wants that sort of thing getting around.

You're definitely high.

I hope you're not sensitive because this might hurt a bit bro.

Making a new Vita and pretending like it's a good experience to sit 3 feet from your TV while holding a device with the potential to rip out your HDMI port is motherfucking crazy. An HDMI port on it would be absolute horse shit. Like Seppli said...bluetooth dog.

Plus...Tearaway would be awesome on a big tv. Especially with friends.

Plus...They'd have to release a new Vita which they're not doing currently. They are however releasing the VitaTV/PlaystationTV which has app capabilitiez and remote play optionz already. Just make an app where the devices talk to each other. It's simple dude.

Get real.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.