Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

July Vita lineup and upcoming titles

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By BlackLagoon

The second half of the year is here with July, and so am I with another rundown of what's on the way gameswise for the Vita. As usual, it is focused on the North American market, with Europe and Japan exclusive titles in their own sections below.

After a pretty decent retail lineup in June, there's unfortunately none coming out this month. There's a solid batch of PSN games announced though, starting off with shoot 'em up Velocity Ultra, an enhanced version of one of the highest rated games in the PS Minis catalog. Additionally, there's a portable version of Farming Simulator, another upgraded Mini in the form of Coconut Dodge Revitalized, lighthearted dual-joystick shooter Total Recoil, cutesy platformer Kung Fu Rabbit, and the Breakout-ish BreakQuest Extra Evolution. More release dates might very well come during the month, and I'll try to add the titles to the list when I see them.

As for new announcements, the E3 event itself was a bit thin, starting off with location based spirit battler Destiny of Spirits during the pre-show, and then ports of the God of War Collection and Dead Nation being announced during the Sony press conference.

The surrounding announcements and rest of the month weren't half bad though, with a confirmation of FIFA 14 coming to the platform, as well as the new co-op focused Battle of Z game in the Dragonball Z franchise. Some high production value indies were revealed to, in the form of the dark looking survival horror game Forgotten Memories, and comic book-y platforming adventure Stick It to The Man!...

...and some more regular indie/mobile fare with Fieldrunners 2, ZRun, Total Recoil, Proteus, PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD, and Gunslugs.

In Japan, Tecmo Koei continued their support for the platform by announcing an Ultimate version of Warriors Orochi 3, and a new RPG, Chronos Materia, from Gust. As did Konami with more of their Powerful Pro bobbleheaded baseball games, both a full new entry and a free to play card game. Spike Chunsoft too, with an enhanced compilation of the two Dangan Ronpa PSP murder mystery games.

Capcom on the other hand, surprised many by announcing their first new game for Vita since Street Fighter X Tekken - the top down free to play Dragon's Dogma Quest, a spin-off from their big RPG franchise. And two more manga/anime games, based on Rozen Maiden and Love Live! respectively are apparently in development, though exact details have yet to be revealed.

And there we are, another update in the can. See you in August, when Vanillaware once again graces the Vita's OLED screen with the beat 'em up Dragon's Crown (well, as long as Atlus' troubles in Japan doesn't catch up to its American subsidiary). Anyway, on to the list:

July

Downloads (Tentative)

Q3 2013

Retail

Downloads

Rest of the year (and beyond)

Retail releases

Downloads

Unconfirmed/Vaporware

• Zero Escape 3 - Development has started, but patforms have yet to be annouced
    • Yet to be annouced game(s) from Tokyo Majin Gakuen director
    • Mystery project from Just Add Water
    • Sly Cooper HD Collection - ESRB rating
    • Yakuza game
    • Injustice: Gods Among Us - Amzon France listing
    • Still Time - Minimalist indie puzzle platformer

Europe

(Titles out in Europe with no American release announced.)

Japan

(Incomplete list of Japanese titles that have yet to be announced for western release)

Upcoming

Retail (released)

Download (released)

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

As a new vita owner, thanks for this list!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

Wish there were a couple more things here to get excited about, hopefully there are a few nice suprises.

Lot's of remakes and ports..

Still, looking forward to spelunky, killzone, batman, tearaway and rayman legends.

edit - wait what is this C-Wars,

"C-Wars is a Kickstarter-funded roguelike meets real-time strategy game set in a cyberpunk world."

That sounds awesome...

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wow, that list is bleak. If it wasn't for Y's and a couple indies, I could probably just put my Vita away for the rest of the year.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez: Thanks, always appreciate hearing that people find the list useful.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5 chaser324  Moderator  Online

The calendar is looking pretty solid for downloadable games, but things on the retail side continues to look pretty soft. At this point, I feel like it's primarily just Japan keeping the Vita afloat, and unfortunately, a lot of those games seem like they'll never see a western release.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I was hoping for Farming Simulator to be the killer vita app, but was sorely disappointed when I found I couldn't drive my tractor into the river. What's the point then?

I'm kind of embarrassed I never bought it, but Dokuro goes free on PS Plus this month, so I'm looking forward to finally playing that.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goodbye Warriors Lair, I'll never get to play your dungeon crawler goodness. :(

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BlackLagoon

@devilzrule27: Yeah, I was holding out for Sony to say something about it, but now someone on NeoGAF with a good track record for knowing things informed me it was apparently canceled some time ago. A shame really, especially since Ubisoft now announced that Mighty Quest For Epic Loot game, which sounds like it has basically the same soicial/lair building elements just with a more comedic tone.

A least this means we might get a new Vita game announcement from Sony San Diego soon.

EDIT: Ah, I see Sony finally confirmed it was canceled. Sigh, at least they got it out of the way.

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thanks for putting this together. I'm hoping Sega changes their mind and brings PSO2 to the US/UK markets.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im still waiting for the FFX HD Remaster You guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.