Just got a Vita! First impressions and questions

#1 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

As the title says, just got my vita. Was always pretty interested in one and P4G pretty much sealed the deal, I was just waiting on a good price. Best Buy has a sale going on where you get a 50 dollar gift card with purchase of any Wi-Fi Vita, so I bought one. Got the AC Liberation pack, mainly cause I wanted the white Vita. Planning on selling the game- shame it doesn't come in a box.

First impressions- the menus and UI and stuff looks really bright and cool. They respond well to the touch. Perhaps the highest praise is that you don't really think about it- it just works.

As I said I'm selling Liberations and my copy of P4G is still being shipped so no real game experiences; Frobisher Says is DLing right now in response to all the people saying how good it is. The web browser is fine- not as good as a computer browser, but then I have yet to encounter a browser on a non-computer that is. Youtube works particularly well- filters subscriptions better than the new youtube page does, videos load quickly and shit. Their twitter app is also great, loads tweets and pictures quickly and everything responds snappy and is super intuitive.

My 1st question is this- I know that people like PS+ and say it's a good value, and from a $50/month standpoint it is; my one issue is that I only have the 4GB memory card so far, and wasn't really planning on buying another one for awhile/until I could get a 32GB one at a reasonable price. Since I'm stuck with the packed-in 4GB card, would it still be worth it with that little amount of space?

My 2nd question is what games on Vita are worth a pickup. I'm getting P4G as I've said, is there any other game that I should try out?

Thanks guys.

#2 Posted by wemibelec90 (1622 posts) -

I just got a Vita recently (from the Amazon sale) and love how slick the interface. It's probably the best piece of hardware I've seen in a long time. Now it just needs the good software to back it up...

I can answer your first question as well. You have to juggle the games around, usually one (or maybe 2, depending on the games) at a time. If you want to have them all concurrently, you will need a bigger card. Uncharted alone takes up nearly the whole thing. If you don't mind juggling the games around, it's workable.

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5531 posts) -

A lot of vita games are not big to download, but Persona 4 and Uncharted will fill that right up. Do yourself a favour and get a larger card. It is very much worth it. I have 16GB and have downloaded every Vita Playstation Plus game so far. I have room for more, and I will delete what I no longer play. The good thing about plus is that as long as you 'purchased' it while it was free, you can redownload at any time.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -

First question was answered above. Games I would currently recommend for the Vita:

• Persona 4 Golden
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
  • Wipeout 2048 (which is free with PS+)

Gravity Rush is also a game many have enjoyed, but I can't say I could fully recommend that one. I'd suggest looking into PSP games you might have missed and downloading them onto the Vita. Having all of the Persona games accessible through the Vita as well as other games like Half-Minute Hero and Corpse Party has been great.

#5 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

@AlisterCat: P4G I'm getting from Amazon if that was unclear, unless you're saying the saves take up a lot of space?

I will eventually, but I want to get a 32gb card so I won't ever have to worry about it again, and after just spending $290 on a vita+P4G I'm not willing to spend for it yet; I figure I can play P4 for awhile and then transfer my shit to the new card once I finally get it.

#6 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

First question was answered above. Games I would currently recommend for the Vita:

• Persona 4 Golden

Gravity Rush is also a game many have enjoyed, but I can't say I could fully recommend that one. I'd suggest looking into PSP games you might have missed and downloading them onto the Vita. Having all of the Persona games accessible through the Vita as well as other games like Half-Minute Hero and Corpse Party has been great.

Alright, as a follow-up:

I was thinking about VLR but haven't played 999 yet and was thinking about getting that and beating it on the DS before moving on- do you think it's essential to play 999 before VLR or can I just jump right in to VLR?

Having not owned a PSP, what are some PSP essentials?

#7 Posted by wchigo (544 posts) -

I'm guessing you don't have a PS3 also? If you do, then PS+ would be super worth it since it would apply to both your consoles. Whether it's worth it not will ultimately be up to you, but if the Vita version of PS+ is the same as the PS3 version, once you've downloaded a game that was at one point offered as free on PS+, you will always have access to it as long as you are subscribed to PS+; even if your subscription lapses, once you start paying for the service again all those games will be available to you. The only downside is that due to your small memory card, you'll basically only be able to have 1-2 games max installed at once (not including small download games such as Mutant Blobs Attack, Dokuro, etc).

Depends on what you like. Currently I own Hot Shots Golf, Gravity Rush (you can get it free with PS+ right now), Lumines, Rayman Origins, Ragnarok Odyssey and Persona 4 Golden. In terms of downloadables, I have Super Stardust Delta, Mutant Blobs Attack, and Dokuro. They're all okay but no real stand-outs in my mind aside from P4G at the moment (to me, though I've not spent much time with Ragnarok or Rayman yet).

#8 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

@wchigo: I do have a PS3, but am at college for most of the year where I don't have access to it.

Based on your response I guess I'll hold off on PS+ until I get that larger memory card so I can actually hold everything.

I was thinking about getting Lumines but wasn't sure about it.

#9 Posted by AlisterCat (5531 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@AlisterCat: P4G I'm getting from Amazon if that was unclear, unless you're saying the saves take up a lot of space?

I will eventually, but I want to get a 32gb card so I won't ever have to worry about it again, and after just spending $290 on a vita+P4G I'm not willing to spend for it yet; I figure I can play P4 for awhile and then transfer my shit to the new card once I finally get it.

Sorry, I meant the digital download. However, there is an install (not sure if it is mandatory) but definitely worth doing. I know what you mean, but I think of it like an upgrade path. I'll get it if I need it. I don't see myself needing it, but I also got mine from ebay with the 16GB card despite wanting one with a 32GB. In my experience of using it, I won't need it, but I can see how you might want to download and keep everything.

Also, I don't think any games are that ineresting which you can't get on PS Plus. I just bought it as a Persona 4 machine though. Mortal Kombat seems pretty cool.

#10 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

@AlisterCat: Yeah I basically bought it as a P4 machine too haha but I figure if I have this thing I should see if there's anything else worth checking out.

Funny that P4 ends up being this thing's "killer app" though, for a group of "core" gamers at least. Couldn't find it in any of the couple of Best Buys that I checked out, which both sucks and is weird cause it's not like there are a ton of Vita releases out there.

#11 Posted by CrazyBagMan (841 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

• Persona 4 Golden

Alright, as a follow-up:

I was thinking about VLR but haven't played 999 yet and was thinking about getting that and beating it on the DS before moving on- do you think it's essential to play 999 before VLR or can I just jump right in to VLR?

Having not owned a PSP, what are some PSP essentials?

As far as 999 goes. It's not necessary, but it's entirely recommended. If you can find 999 on the -relatively- cheap, DO IT.

#12 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

@CrazyBagMan: Would I miss a lot by just wikipediaing the story or whatever? Does the gameplay or whatnot actually make that big of a difference?

#13 Posted by wchigo (544 posts) -

@DystopiaX: Ah, okay. Well, if you really want the games that are available through PS+ right now, then it could be worth it. If the membership works anything like the PS3 version, they will change the games that they offer for free as time goes on, so if any of the current games interest you you might as well dive in now just so you'll have the games going forward. You could have like Gravity Rush and a bunch of download games on there at the same time, but I'd understand if you wouldn't want to go through the hassle of constantly deleting games off your memory card.

Oh, and I TOTALLY forgot about Sound Shapes. Quite a charming game, I'd recommend that. It's fairly cheap, like around 12 bucks for the Vita-only version or 15 for the PS3/PSV version.

I haven't had the chance to play 999 or Zero Escape yet either, but I'm now kind of curious based on all the good word of month from the gaming community. From what I heard from Patrick off the Bombcast, it's almost like a text adventure type game with puzzles (I guess somewhere along the lines of an Ace Attorney game?) so I don't think gameplay would be the major hook. That being said, the story and narrative are pretty big factors I believe, so if anything I'd try and look for a "Let's Play" of it on YouTube or something as opposed to reading the plot on Wikipedia. That may be what I will do since I'm not sure if I can get a hold of 999 where I am...

#14 Posted by eccentrix (1542 posts) -

@wchigo said:

once you've downloaded a game that was at one point offered as free on PS+, you will always have access to it as long as you are subscribed to PS+; even if your subscription lapses, once you start paying for the service again all those games will be available to you.

I've been wondering about this for a long time, thanks. This thread made me look at the PSP games available and Corpse Party says you only get two downloads with it. Does that mean you have to buy it again if you want to download it a third time, or am I reading it wrong?

#15 Posted by BlackLagoon (1406 posts) -

@eccentrix said:

This thread made me look at the PSP games available and Corpse Party says you only get two downloads with it. Does that mean you have to buy it again if you want to download it a third time, or am I reading it wrong?

You can download it as much as you want, but you can only have it on two systems at a time. So it's not an issue unless you've got three or more Sony handhelds.

#16 Posted by eccentrix (1542 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: Great, thanks a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.