Maps, Video Recording, Mac Support in Latest Vita Update

• 65 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4623 posts) -

Sony’s not a company afraid of updating firmwares, and Sony will push Japanese Vitas toward version 1.60 on February 8.

1.60 brings a map application with maps that look suspiciously like (and probably are) Google Maps, the ability to use the camera to record movies, content management software that’s compatible with a Mac, and the "Home" button will now light up blue when the power supply for the machine is connected.

It’s unclear whether 1.60 will be pushed out in time for the impending worldwide launch, but I’m checking with Sony about it.

This would mark the third firmware update for Vita.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4623 posts) -

Sony’s not a company afraid of updating firmwares, and Sony will push Japanese Vitas toward version 1.60 on February 8.

1.60 brings a map application with maps that look suspiciously like (and probably are) Google Maps, the ability to use the camera to record movies, content management software that’s compatible with a Mac, and the "Home" button will now light up blue when the power supply for the machine is connected.

It’s unclear whether 1.60 will be pushed out in time for the impending worldwide launch, but I’m checking with Sony about it.

This would mark the third firmware update for Vita.

Staff
#2 Posted by Chris_Woods (43 posts) -

These sort of apps on gaming devices confuses me. I guess it's big in Japan?

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Good to hear about Mac support.

#4 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

Not bad, mac support is pretty crucial.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

What do you have against the letter S, Patrick?

#6 Posted by CaLe (3988 posts) -

Slow day.

#7 Posted by Atilac (89 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

lol

#8 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3320 posts) -

Hmmm, man it sucks hearing about the camera on that thing. I'd hope it would at least be 2-4MP on the back.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11997 posts) -
@Video_Game_King

That does look weird.
#10 Posted by Fungiefips (76 posts) -

I truly don't understand how Sony's positioning this thing. Mediocre at everything, and a terrible launch list.

#11 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Ooh. I like this.

#12 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Fungiefips said:

I truly don't understand how Sony's positioning this thing. Mediocre at everything, and a terrible launch list.

Mediocre at everything...except playing games which it actually does quite well. Of course it has a bad launch list, it's a console launch, at least it's better than the 3DS' and PS3's launch line-ups.

Also, a bad launch selection means little in the long run.

#13 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

@Fungiefips said:

I would argue it has a decent launch lineup compared to the 3DS, DS and PSP launch lineup.

#14 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1877 posts) -

This is the third firmware update since it's been released in Japan? Christ, it's the PS3 all over again

#15 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

That's all well and good, course I'm just wondering what the battery life is on the device itself

#16 Posted by PLWolf (926 posts) -

One man's crappy launch lineup, is another man's awesome one.

#17 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

@Atary77 said:

That's all well and good, course I'm just wondering what the battery life is on the device itself

The battery life is really the only thing keeping me from getting one at launch. Here's hoping.

#18 Edited by Alex_Carrillo (281 posts) -

@msavo said:

@Fungiefips said:

I would argue it has a decent launch lineup compared to the 3DS, DS and PSP launch lineup.

I'd argue it's one of the best launch line-ups in over a decade. Lumines, Wipeout, and Uncharted are not awful games, it seems.

#19 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

@Grimluck343: I hear ya, if I'm gonna be playing a new Uncharted game on this thing I want it to last me for a long trip at least.

#20 Posted by Sammo21 (3280 posts) -
@Video_Game_King Patrick likes to shit on handhelds because cellphones are the future or something.
#21 Posted by 014 (353 posts) -
@Atary77 said:

A guy from a blog over on the Vita page said the other day that it's 5 hours play time and 2 hours to charge. That's satisfactory to my bus and flight needs.
#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Sammo21:

And I thought getting finger grease on the touch screen was bad...

#23 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

@014: Nice, that already beats the 3DS by a mile lol

#24 Edited by jasondesante (604 posts) -

cool now post an article for every update for every other system and platform

#25 Posted by Dangazzm (31 posts) -

Adding tons of new features though possibly having lengthy firmware updates? I am down with it. New features are always nice.

#26 Posted by Xeirus (1305 posts) -

@jasondesante said:

Seems like every time I see your posts it's just more complaining. Keep it up, you're making a name for yourself.

#27 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

It's about fucking time they added Mac support. It's been baffling to me how Sony has had this digital solution for PSP for close to four years now and yet have completely neglected the other major OS.

#28 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

Patching in basic functionality?

Reach for the stars, Sony.

#29 Posted by Devil240Z (3368 posts) -

I'm sorry but I love firmware updates. But I guess you have to if you want to be a sony fan.

#30 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

@jasondesante said:

As soon as you go to every article online and bitch about every little thing you can.

#31 Posted by Goldanas (546 posts) -

I personally love frequent firmware and feature updates that add functionality rather than infrequent updates that drastically alter it (Hint Hint Microsoft).

I have always found it baffling that people dislike Sony's updates. The biggest complaint was that they had to wait while the system updates itself, and Sony went ahead and addressed that issue by adding a standby update feature.

I would argue that people should stop hating on Sony, but being in third place, constantly bombarded with nonsense criticism and ignorant chastising has made them a company who really listens to their customers (at least the PlayStation division). They constantly fight for approval, and it has been a tremendous boon for me. I guess it's just a shame that people are so entrenched in what they've already established themselves as that they can't take a moment to appreciate something else.

That's the business, though. I'm sure it means we'll see some bold moves from Sony come this next hardware generation. Microsoft is playing it safe according to the rumors, and, well, we already know what Nintendo's doing, so hopefully Sony will will go big.

They don't really have a choice as I see it.

#32 Posted by nickux (1385 posts) -

The Mac support is definitely appreciated, glad I'll be able to hook up my Vita to transfer saves and data. Having just had a PS3 that died, I'll be backing up my saves on a much more regular basis. 

#33 Posted by tobygw (580 posts) -

YES THANK GOD NOW THE LIGHT TURNS BLUE

#34 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Wait a minute, the thing is basically only in japan, and theres already a firmware update? This is the psp and ps3 bullshit ALLL over again. The updates will start small, and probably reach up past 100megs. What are the ps3s now, 150+?

What happened to the 'Our firmware updates will be much more spaced apart' crap that was said a few months back? The 360 takes less than 15 seconds to install an update, and 10 to download. The psp, MUST be above 50% battery level, even if its plugged in- takes about 7 minutes to download, and another 5 to install. Now take that system a generation higher on the vita.....i wonder how long it takes now. THIS is why sonys online networks fail, and part of the reason they got hacked

#35 Posted by ljrepoman (31 posts) -

wow 1 tiny piece of news less than 100 words and 1 3 min. video . I'm glad i pay for this.

#36 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@thechronodarkness

Wait a minute, the thing is basically only in japan, and theres already a firmware update? This is the psp and ps3 bullshit ALLL over again. The updates will start small, and probably reach up past 100megs. What are the ps3s now, 150+?

What happened to the 'Our firmware updates will be much more spaced apart' crap that was said a few months back? The 360 takes less than 15 seconds to install an update, and 10 to download. The psp, MUST be above 50% battery level, even if its plugged in- takes about 7 minutes to download, and another 5 to install. Now take that system a generation higher on the vita.....i wonder how long it takes now. THIS is why sonys online networks fail, and part of the reason they got hacked

Are you seriously complaing about FREE updates that add NEW features to something you bought? What the hell is wrong with you?!
#37 Posted by TheKing (835 posts) -

@ljrepoman said:

wow 1 tiny piece of news less than 100 words and 1 3 min. video . I'm glad i pay for this.

Uhhhh... What more would you like him to say?

#38 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

@ljrepoman said:

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays.

#39 Posted by NeoAthanasius (75 posts) -

@ljrepoman: They have been off for the weekend and are probably busy making content right now (bombcast, quick looks, etc.) This is going to be a good week on Giantbomb.

#40 Posted by Miacosa (13 posts) -

Love that Sony supports their products and strieves to make them better with each firmware release.

#41 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@Fungiefips: personally I don't think it's a terrible launch list.... but I really like lumines

#42 Posted by CaLe (3988 posts) -

I don't like touching myself and I don't see what the appeal is. Humans are weird.

#43 Posted by Nakiro (79 posts) -
@Fungiefips

Far from a horrible launch list.
Probably one of the strongest in a long while.
#44 Posted by ptys (1959 posts) -

Considering what it does, it's pretty good value for money compared with an iPod touch. Shame the form factor is a little chunky, but it is a beast in terms of power.

#45 Posted by CakeBomb (219 posts) -

Is it too much to ask for a 1.3MP camera at least? It can do 720p with that.

3DS is the same crap -_-, and that one actually had potential as a nice 3D camera.

#46 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

I see a lot of stupid bitching going down in this article....

#47 Posted by probablytuna (3666 posts) -

Just bought a VIta yesterday, looking forward to see what other applications they'll be releasing.

#48 Posted by Rerejo28 (135 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

Just bought a VIta yesterday, looking forward to see what other applications they'll be releasing.

How're you liking it?

#49 Posted by BradGrenz (60 posts) -

It's amazing how blind Sony hatred manages to turn a launch lineup of like 25 games and the rapid deployment of free new features into some kind of negative.

Also, given all the google logos in the screenshots and the fact that Near also uses google maps, it's safe to say the map app is indeed powered by google.

#50 Posted by probablytuna (3666 posts) -

@Rerejo28 said:

@probablytuna said:

How're you liking it?

It's pretty good so far, haven't really played much of it though. I got Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 but only played a few rounds. The first thing I did was logging back into my PSN account to see if I can download my purchased games like Final Fantasy VII and what not. Right now it says I can't download any on the handheld except for ModNation Racers and LittleBigPlanet which I got from the Welcome Back program. I hope a new firmware update will change this cause I don't want to switch to my PSP every time I want to play PS1 games. As for the handheld itself, the screen looks amazing, it's sharp and Marvel looks great on it. The face buttons are a bit small in my opinion, I would've preferred it if it was the same size as the PSP ones. The analog sticks work way better than the PSP one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.