Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Memory card price drops don't look so "significant"

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

www.joystiq.com/2013/08/20/ps-vita-memory-cards-now-cheaper-in-north-america/

So during Gamescom Sony mentioned that not only is the PSVita getting a price drop (Now at $199) but the memory cards were dropping price as well. Now I haven't been keeping up with the price of memory cards for PSVita but these don't seem to different then what they were before.

4GB = $15

8GB = $20

16GB = $40

32GB = $80

How do you feel about the new "significantly" cheaper memory card prices?

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll look forward to this continuing to be the thing that fanboys overlook when they talk about how consumer-friendly Sony is.

CrazedMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By CrazedMaverick

Those were the dropped prices? Dang. I checked this morning and though those were the "original" prices that hadn't updated yet. I just got a 32GB SD card for my 3DS for $22. Granted it's not a proprietary memory card, but if Sony wants to play that way, I just won't get a Vita.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

That's fucking crazy. If they want more people to have a Vita, make those things dirt cheap.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

If $20 doesn't seem like a lot of money to you do you think you could give me $20 dollars?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Seppli

I got my 16 GB for 39$ before the pricedrop. It's easily big enough to hold tons of games, although there's always going to be a bit of a shuffle due to the influx of PS+ *freebies*.

I wont be buying another card unless there's going to be a 64+ GB card, or I see a top deal for a 32 GB one.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That'z some bullshit.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

That is some Grade A bullshit.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By davidwitten22

Convinced Sony doesn't want people to actually own a Vita.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigjeffrey

Well since there is no games to fill the memory with not so bad. Filled mine with PG4, P3P, Anime, haku miku , and Hentai.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

16GB is more than enough. I`ve downloaded all the PSN+ games from last year and up until now and I still have 4 GBs left. You can back up your games easily in PC and PS3 if you run out of space. You don`t really need 32 GB.

Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Arzen
    SizeNew PriceOld PriceDiscount
    4 GB$15$2025%
    8 GB$20$3033%
    16 GB$40$6033%
    32 GB$80$10020%

A third less for the 8GB and 16GB cards is a pretty significant discount, though I feel like the 32GB would have been more in line somewhere between $60 or $70. Of course that's just compared to their previous MSRP. All of them still cost pretty much twice as much as what they should.

Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avanzato

The hype got to me, I have PS+ so I just went to buy a Vita from Amazon at £169 with a free game that seems OK. Then you need a memory card to download all those 'free' PS+ games and it's £54 for the 32GB version, a 32GB SD card is £15 - £25.

I didn't buy the Vita.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kerned

They didn't lower those prices enough for me to bite. The system itself is totally within the impulse buy range for me at $199, but the memory card prices are so outrageous that I can't justify it one bit.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Ugh gross. Overpriced and or proprietary memory needs to be a thing both companies get rid of asap. 'Significant' doesn't mean much when it's stupidly overpriced in the first place.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL

No Caption Provided

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're hemoraging money on this thing as it is, just get the 4/8 gb card and use it for saves. You dont need to put games on the memory card you know...

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're hemoraging money on this thing as it is, just get the 4/8 gb card and use it for saves. You dont need to put games on the memory card you know...

You do if you're buying them digitally, which is one of the most appealing things about owning a handheld. Besides, plenty of games are only available digitally.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RonGalaxy

@kerned said:

@naru_joe93 said:

You do if you're buying them digitally, which is one of the most appealing things about owning a handheld. Besides, plenty of games are only available digitally.

Was that the appealing part about every handheld before these ones? No

As for games only available digitally, that is true, but most of them aren't very big downloads. The 8 gig would be fine to keep a few of those types of games on at a time. Not having a 32 gb card doesn't completely ruin the vita. Hell, if you really care that much get a 16 gb card then. 40 bucks, while expensive for a memory card, really doesn't break the bank like the 32 gb does.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli

At this recommended price, you'll definitely be able to get the 16 GB memory card for under 30 dollars. I currently have like 6 Vita games and 4 PSP games on mine, and another 4 GB to spare. It's more than enough space to keep an attractive library at hand, and it's no biggie to shuffle out finished games for space. 16 GB is all you really need.

I got a brandnew Vita 3G & 4 GB & Motorstorm RC & an extra 16 GB for a little less than 250$. That's been before today's pricecut. You'll get something along these lines for 200$ now, if you keep your eyes open. Just find a retailer that updates its prices daily. With day prices, if a retailer has good buyers, you'll be getting great deals.

I get that it's not a great deal, looking just at the memory card prices, but overall the Vita definitely is more than worth the new price of admission.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DystopiaX
    @arzen said:
    4 GB$15$2025%
    8 GB$20$3033%
    16 GB$40$6033%
    32 GB$80$10020%

A third less for the 8GB and 16GB cards is a pretty significant discount, though I feel like the 32GB would have been more in line somewhere between $60 or $70. Of course that's just compared to their previous MSRP. All of them still cost pretty much twice as much as what they should.

The thing that sucks about this is that Amazon was already selling them at these prices. Maybe it'll convince them to drop the prices more or something. I hope so, cause this is the shittiest thing about owning a Vita. It's not even a lack of games anymore, cause a lot of cool stuff is coming to the platform. The problem is, a lot of that content is in the form of digital only indie games. And you can't get them all with a tiny ass memory card.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True statement. Welcome to 2013.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bah quit your complainings.

PS Plus will basically make up the difference with the amount of free games you end up with anyway.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By StarvingGamer

@kerned said:

@naru_joe93 said:

Yeah. If anything, the advantages of not having to deal with physical media increase exponentially on a portable device.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli

@starvinggamer said:

@kerned said:

@naru_joe93 said:

Yeah. If anything, the advantages of not having to deal with physical media increase exponentially on a portable device.

Digital distribution really comes into its own on handhelds. More memory for less money should work out in Sony's favor. I really hope that Sony will come out with bigger memory cards, at a much reduced price per GB. 64 or even 128 GB on a Vita? Jeez man! Just think of the library you could carry with you at all times.

'Til then, my 16 GB card will do.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

PS Plus will basically make up the difference with the amount of free games you end up with anyway.

Awesome, i'll store all these "free" PS+ games on my Vita in the cloud with Pixies, Fairies, and Leprechaun.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TAFAE

@dystopiax said:

@arzen said:
    4 GB$15$2025%
    8 GB$20$3033%
    16 GB$40$6033%
    32 GB$80$10020%

The thing that sucks about this is that Amazon was already selling them at these prices. Maybe it'll convince them to drop the prices more or something. I hope so, cause this is the shittiest thing about owning a Vita. It's not even a lack of games anymore, cause a lot of cool stuff is coming to the platform. The problem is, a lot of that content is in the form of digital only indie games. And you can't get them all with a tiny ass memory card.

Totally agree with this! If I can get a 32GB one for like $40-45, I'll probably pick one of those up. As it stands now, I've got a 16GB one for US stuff and a 8GB one for playing PSO2 and random Japanese game demos, and both of those are feeling tight. I think I payed $30 for the 16GB and $15 for the 8GB, so half price isn't that unreasonable to hope for, I guess. The Vita sort of sneakily got a bunch of good games (admittedly, most of them are also on PC or other platforms, but Spelunky on the go sounds great), but that initial hurdle to owning one still kinda sucks.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony is really dumb for this honestly, how do you plan to crack the handheld market by pulling a M$ with the memory? Who gives a shit about proprietary memory when nobody is buying the console? You want to get it into as many households as possible.

I really haven't kept up with the vita, but was considering one with my ps4 but i may just pass.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rowr

@rowr said:

Awesome, i'll store all these "free" PS+ games on my Vita in the cloud with Pixies, Fairies, and Leprechaun.

Or just buy a memory card and quit being a whiny little girl?

The vita just dropped 50 bucks, so buy a memory card with the savings and just pretend it still retails for 250.. With 300 dollars worth of free games a year or whatever it is, it's all worth the cost.

https://ebgames.com.au/vita-153020-Sony-PS-Vita-with-WiFi-PS-Vita

Personally i think you should all shut the fuck up.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So there is no shady 3rd party cheap memory solution?

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It still boggles my mind why they went with their proprietary memory situation, perhaps they could make more money this way but it only works if people buy the system and cards. SD would of made the system alot more user friendly and maybe resulted in more sales.

But a 200 dollar vita is inciting, but between how much ive been spending on Steam, PS4, and just getting a new phone i cant justify the price right now or the next few months. I might buy one during black Friday if there are any good deals on price or good bundles though.

AlmightyBoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tescovee said:

Not as far as I know, proprietary as hell, no better than an SD card, 4x the price. SONY!

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@tescovee said:

If only...

Sony has to realize that this shitty pricing is keep people from even buying the damn system right?

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have a launch vita and 16gb is fine for me. I have 2 pages of games and most i don't even play anymore (just too lazy to delete them).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.