Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

New Vita owner looking for RPGs

Spiritgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Spiritgod

I finally fell down the rabbit hole of getting a Vita. I figured since I have a PS4 I might as well, since they're supposed to be pretty great together. It comes with a 8gb card but will be getting a 32gb card in the next week or two because of all the games I've accumulated from Plus. I've bought Persona 4 Golden, which of course was a no-brainer, but I find myself searching for other role-playing games to collect. Anyone got any suggestions on good RPG games for the Vita? I love JRPGs and constantly see several that I don't know about yet want to tryout. I prefer action-RPGs but will try anything as long as it's good. So, anyone got suggestions?

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Persona 3 Portable can be bought on the PSN Store and is just as good as Persona 4 Golden, may as well go wholehog and dive into that series deep.

You can get an awful lof of classic PS1 games, a lot of the Final Fantasys, Grandias, Wild Arms etc.. which are a delight to play on the Vita if you want to go back to them.

Still on the PS1 train, you can get Symphony Of The Night for a more action oriented game and a whole lot more than I can thing of.

Then you can also get the first 3 Disgaea games (4th is coming in the near future as well) which are awfully fun if you're into SJRPGs.

If I can think of any more I'll let you know duder.

PD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Ys Memories of Celceta just came out. I haven't played it but it's the only thing that comes to mind. It's a JRPG with action RPG combat so maybe you'll like it. Atlus also just recently announced that they will be localizing Conception 2 for the Vita. That'll probably come out next year.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

If you've never played Persona, make sure to get P3P for PSP as well! Disgaea also has a PSV game that I'm told is very good? There's lots of RPGs that have come over from the PSP on the store, too, so that's where I'd look to pick some up.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SamStrife

You can also get the PSP Monster Hunter games (I believe Freedom Unite is the one you'd want).

ArcadeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By ArcadeHero

Muramasa and Dragon's Crown. Also, Soul Sacrifice just went up for free on plus.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

If you want to go down the Persona hole then Revelations Persona, Persona 2 IS and P3P are available as PSP titles, while Persona 2 ES is available as a PS1 classic.

If you want to go down the Ys hole then it is my understanding that remakes or reimaginings or 1-4 and 7 are available.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is something that is often regarded as the best game for PSP.

And all those PS1 Final Fantasies are there too. Basically the PS1 and PSP support is an endless supply of RPGs.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PSP version of Ys: Oath in Felghana is a great place to start if you're new to the series, it's also on Steam but it works really well on a handheld.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ys: Memories of Celceta is definitively what you want, it's an action RPG with faced paced combat and great music. You might want to check out Valhalla Knights 3 too, it's got a lot of loot, content and customization options, but reception on it has been a bit mixed.

For turn based stuff, there's Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God which is out in two weeks. It's a cutesy mystery dungeon style roguelike. Also Demon Gaze is coming a early next year which is more of a Wizardry type first person dungeon crawler with some very nice art.

There's also the some JRPG style indies like the Dragon Fantasy games, and while I guess they're not straight up RPGs, you might find boss hunting games like Soul Sacrifice, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace and Toukiden: The Age of Demons interesting as well.

Spiritgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to over do it with Persona since I'll be playing 4 pretty soon. Though if I can get the others and play them on the PS3 then I might try and do that down the road.

I was looking at the new Ys game, but I remember playing one of the past games in the series and not liking the graphical art style...it just looked a little bland to me which turned me off from finishing. I saw screenshots of the new one and they seem very similar with art direction. Maybe when it goes down in price or gets put as a Plus game.

I will be getting Dragon's Crown eventually, but probably for the PS3. Muramasa looked interesting from what little I've seen of it, at first I thought it was a fighting game which I'm not a fan, but the more I saw of it the more it might be right up my alley.

I did see Valhalla Kinghts 3 and will be getting that sooner or later. Is this game like a Monster Hunter type thing?

I already own and have played it too death, SoTN, so I'm good there.

I saw Demon Gaze on Amazon and am intrigued, though all I know of it is that it done very well in Japan. Still keeping my eye on it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. If you've got more keep'em coming...the more the merrier.

I do have one question if someone wouldn't mind answering. Did they already launch the new Vita's with the LCD screens? Mine said it was OLED when ordering but I know how companies like to copy and paste descriptions. Does anyone know of a list of the different Vita models and info about each one?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@spiritgod: If the Vita's model number is 1000 or 1101, you've got the OLED screen. If it's 2000, then you got the LCD screen.

As for Persona, you can get P3FES on PS3 and that's a better version to play, though P3P is fine if you can't play that version.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BlackLagoon

@spiritgod: Ys' developer, Falcom, isn't the largest out there, so their games typically focus more on gameplay and story than graphics. If you want to see more of the game, XSEED put together a great trailer for it:

Loading Video...

For Demon Gaze, there's not a lot of info about it in English yet, though Kotaku wrote a pretty positive article on it.

And the LCD models have only launched in Japan so far, they're still selling the OLED ones everywhere else. There are pretty much 3 Vita models so far - OLED, OLED with 3G, and LCD. Well, and the Vita TV if you want to count it.

Spiritgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: From the description, no I don't have my Vita yet, it says Model Number: 91001. I'm assuming the 1001 signifies it being the earlier OLED model. I don't think it makes much difference since I've never played a Vita before but am just curious as to which I'll be getting.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original Suikoden is on the PS1 Classics, right? Get that. It's rad.

Spiritgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklagoon: I hope I didn't make it sound like "graphics are all that matter" I just didn't care for the bland coloring of the art style. I know that seems a bit picky of a thing to complain about, but it was what made me stop playing. If memory serves right the game was Ys: The Ark of Napishtim...I think.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slay3r1583
    BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiritgod: Oh, yeah, I forgot - Valhalla Knights isn't much like Monster Hunter. XSEED describes it more as a single-player "MMO".

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trails in the Sky is probably the best JRPG in this generation so far. So I really would try that one.

Loading Video...

It is really a shame that not many people played it but there will also be a PC version soon. But for Vita I think it is perfect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.