Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Older models of the PS Vita discontinued

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Andrew House, Sony Computer Entertainment's President and Global CEO, called the console a "legacy platform", at Sony's 2015 Investor Relations Day.

This means that Sony has currently no plans for the console, despite still continuing producing it.

Also the handheld is not part of Sony's strategy for the fiscal year of 2015.

Still there is hope, in the indie scene, with free and cheap development software for the console, and, given the success of the Vita in Japan and Asia, japanese oriented games are getting released in the western markets, like Sen no Kiseki, Atelier Escha & Logy Plus, Danganronpa: Another Episode and Persona 4: Dancing all Night.

Source: BITPARADE

It's time to mourn the Vita? What do you think?

And if this is the end of the Vita, do you believe Sony will launch another handheld? Or will it abandon the handheld market?

UPDATE: Apparently Andrew House was just refering to the original Vita hardware, when speaking of 'legacy platform'.

Source: GamesBeat

Vita owners can breath easier now.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

That's kind of an insane thing to say. I don't care what they call it, I call it my PS Plus machine. It's a dope handheld, and it's been a good investment in my opinion.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I think Sony just didn't know what to fucking do with it. They made a handheld that can deliver console-like experiences... except handhelds are never particularly good for console-like experiences and it was ridiculously outpaced very quickly. Someone still could have used all that power for something, but nobody really did and that's a hell of a shame.

Still, there's a lot of value in the thing if you want to play indie games on the go or want a handheld PS1.

At this point I think I'm going to look into getting some CFW on it or getting some emulators running. The PSP was a downright fantastic piece of hardware once you got some CFW installed, I'd love it if my Vita was as useful or more.

NinjaPartTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I mourned my Vita when I cracked the screen a couple of months ago. :( Played it a lot more than my 3DS. I'll probably end up replacing it with a ps tv instead of another vita. Too many games to let them go to waste. I'm completely fine with indie and Japanese games.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#6  Edited By audioBusting

Update: http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/27/sony-clarifies-legacy-platform-statement-our-portable-business-will-be-continued/

They meant the original vita hardware.

(which is also a bummer since this screen is fantastic, but it makes perfect business sense)

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I really love my OLED vita, but I can see why they would regard the older model as legacy hardware. I have no idea how much they're saving with the slim form factor that has a lower quality screen, but it's probably a significant chunk of cash. Still glad I picked up mine on Craigslist for the OLED though, it makes a pretty big difference.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Update: http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/27/sony-clarifies-legacy-platform-statement-our-portable-business-will-be-continued/

They meant the original vita hardware.

(which is also a bummer since this screen is fantastic, but it makes perfect business sense)

Thanks for the update.

Cheers

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Are there any other advantages to the old model besides OLED (battery life, expandability, features, wifi speeds?)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rachelepithet: Battery life is worse on the OG Vita. Wifi speeds are the same, there's no expandability to either, though the OG Vita has got a mystery port that has since been removed from the newer model meaning it will never get used.

I thought they'd already announced the OLED model was being discontinued when they brought in the new version?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By monkeyking1969

People seem baffled by how Sony treats handhelds, but I think people are seeing it wrong. When people say Sony "doesn't get it" they are mistaken. Sony gets it, they just get it at a cost and profit level that isn't about how well it sells. Its that old joke, "Mind over matter" - "They don't really mind [if it sells], because ist don't fucking matter [if it sells]."

You say I need to try harder to sell Vita, you say
    You say I need to try harder to sell Vita, you say "Don Cora-Sony, give Vita justice." But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship. You don't even think to call me "Godfather." You come into my house on the day my daughter is to be married and you ask me to do murder - for money.

Vita sells for a profit, and they need not do much to keep sales trickling.

As a gamer you might view PSP or Vita as this bit of tech that HAS TO BE supported no matter what. However, I say Sony sees Vita more like cameras, amplifiers, MP3 palyers, clock-radios, etc. Sony says, "Well, we have to have a $150 and $200 level camera." So they make one, if it takes off they might tool up to make more, but they will just pump them out even if it not selling great. They keep pumping them out because they need to be "in that niche" of the market. Sony needs a clock-radio so that when people buy a clock radio there is a Sony one on the shelf, there is a Sony video camera, there is a Sony headset too.

Vita is there to be a place holder until having a viable handheld console matters, or it take off. If Vita takes off GREAT!!! If not - they still have one to occupy the space.

Sony would enjoy if it sold, but they won't get bent out of shape when it doesn't sell in the same way as a PS3 or PS4. Vita is just a niche of the market Sony wants its foot in - just in case. Handhelds are loser market right now. Every year they get less and less important as kids want an iPhone or and iPads. When Sony looks at what they need to do it is smartphones. That is a market with 20 years of growth that will lead to other products, gaming handhelds aren't.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Still tempted to buy a Vita just to play my favourite game Final Fantasy X anywhere... But it's such a bad deal.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BladedEdge

Honestly not even sure which version of the Vita I got, was a 'oh hey the only unit we have is used, but hey its 10$ cheaper and comes with an identical warranty to the new model...)

And..I love it. Like I am the exact and complete definition of a what your write up as the stereotype Vita Owner (minus I guess the "omg they censored the games! viewpoint). Quite frankly the Vita has what no other current generation console does. Its got games I want enough to buy a system to play them..which are not available on any other platform.

I am a firm believer that the perfect era for the jrpg genre, when it comes to the budgets you can invest and still make a profit, hovers right around PS2-3ish graphic levels..and guess what the Vita does?

The fact of the matter is, the sorts of games I buy are likely to be released on the Vita for many years..hell there are still some PSP games that will be releasing I believe.

The cost to make/develop/translate the games matches the hard-core audience that is eager to buy the titles. The Vita is not a massive main-stream success, but for those of us in the hardcore? Its got the biggest game to console ratio. The definitive Persona 4, the platform to play visual novels with game play elements..and yes even the place for anime-infused rpg/dungeon crawlers.

It most certainly is not the success people might have hoped it would be, and I could do nothing to sell it to people for whom the PS2s rpg library does not essentially make that the best console ever made. But hey, if you fall into that same category like i do?..actually you likely' already own a vita at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.