Please don't let the Vita die

• 77 results
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

From the Sony press conference, these are the things that I found relevant talked about the Vita:

• PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale version (plus cross-play compatibility with the PS3)
  • Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified

And that's about it. They didn't even talk about proper PSN integration with the platform, which I was expecting. Apparently, Mr. Tretton mentioned that there was going to be 60 new Vita games released within the next 12 months, but that's still a really vague and unsatisfying statement. Maybe this is a knee-jerk reaction and there are several Vita games I'm looking forward to get (Gravity Rush, Good People Die, Persona 4 Golden...), but I was really expecting some awesome Vita focus at this press conference and it's a major bummer.

#2 Posted by drac96 (673 posts) -

I was hoping for a bunch of Vita game announcements. I've been trying to justify buying a Vita, but I just can't do it with the lackluster selection of games it has right now. Even more than that I wanted them to announce a price cut, because it's not selling very well at all.

Bah.. I'll probably cave when Persona 4 Golden comes out.

#3 Posted by Bocam (3784 posts) -

Wait for TGS

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Wait for TGS

So I can hear about a bunch of Vita games that won't come out in North America, that won't come out for a while in North America or that I just don't care about?

#5 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

I shake my head at my Vita. So hard.

#6 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I feel pretty shitty about owning a Vita right now.

#7 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2056 posts) -

You mean the Persona 4 Golden playing machine? Don't worry, I'll take good care of it.

#8 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1188 posts) -
#9 Posted by Bocam (3784 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Niche Japanese games are what the Vita is made for.

#10 Posted by hwy_61 (934 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Wait for TGS

HAH!

This shit is dead, and you all have to count your losses and move on. My recommendation is to lie to people and say you got it used for next to nothing. Sony fucked up, BIG TIME. If you think because they announced some vague ass ETA for PS1 support, and 2(TWOOOOO) games is sufficient; you're wrong. They spent more time WONDERBOOK! HOLY SHIT. Also, wanna know what the future of the Vita is? Playstation Mobile. SELL THAT SHIT ASAP SON!!!!

#11 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Hey everyone, PSone Classics on Vita!

Hello...?

...anyone?...

*sigh*

#12 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

@ssj4raditz said:

Hey everyone, PSone Classics on Vita!

Oh yeah, that... Awesome.

#13 Posted by Bocam (3784 posts) -

@ssj4raditz: I have my psp for that

#14 Posted by 71Ranchero (2781 posts) -

@TentPole said:

Can I have it?

#15 Posted by ozzdog12 (862 posts) -

@TentPole said:

#16 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

I feel the same guys, I keep hoping but I think my hope died...

#17 Posted by 71Ranchero (2781 posts) -

@ozzdog12 said:

@TentPole said:

I will take yours too if you dont mind. Save you the hassle of being so depressed about it.

#18 Posted by JJOR64 (19017 posts) -

Thank god I bought a 3DS.

#19 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

i feel the same way, it seems to be hitting its stride in tearms of game and downloadables. the ambassador games are great as well and tomorrow should be exciting for the 3DS

#20 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Bocam said:

Wait for TGS

So I can hear about a bunch of Vita games that won't come out in North America, that won't come out for a while in North America or that I just don't care about?

Well, yeah. That was what owning a PSP was all about. That's what you're getting into with a Sony portable.

#21 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

It's such a shame. The hardware is amazing and it feels so good to play games on it. I was really hoping for something...

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Man. At this rate, the Vita will be my Persona 4 Golden machine.

#23 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (733 posts) -

I wouldn't say that because there was basically nothing for the Vita at the conference means there won't be anything at E3 or out for the Vita, so I wouldn't give up yet.

But then again I never bought a Vita, so I have no stock in how it does, but that's because I am done with handheld platforms (not because I think they are bad but I never find myself getting games for them).

#24 Edited by Slurpelve (615 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

lol

Kappa

I hope they keep it alive, Its still great.Better then the PSP Go.

#25 Posted by jewunit (1063 posts) -

I hope that third-party support will ramp up for the platform. Sony is doing what they can to entice developers, but Sony has to be able to do repeat business with these folks and not just grab these expensive exclusives.

I have not bought a Vita despite my inclination toward handhelds. If the game library is a little more robust by the time that Assassin's Creed Liberation bundle is released, I may take the plunge.

#26 Posted by Landon (4152 posts) -

I'm still waiting for games worth playing to come out for that thing.

#27 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

DOA sorry man...

#28 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

Seems like this won't end well for Sony or anyone who bought a Vita looking for long term support... Sad to say for the people who bought it but I just don't think the Vita is what the world wanted.

#29 Edited by MrXD (240 posts) -

I don't know about you but I there's other games that's coming out for the vita

#30 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Sucks for people that bought a Vita, but I think it isn't looking good for you guys. At least you have Gravity Rush? Go play that and mourn the death of the Vita later. RIP Vita 2012-2012

#31 Edited by xyzygy (10028 posts) -

3DS is taking the portable market already. Sony really seems like they can never catch a break with the Vita; but then again it also seems like they even WANT to.

I know that I'm purchasing the first handheld I've owned since the Gameboy Color in a few weeks, and it's definitely not going to be the Vita.

Lords of Shadow sealed the deal for me.

@BadSniper52 said:

@JJOR64 said:

lol

Kappa

I hope they keep it alive, Its still great.Better then the PSP Go.

PSP Go? Really? That thing didn't even had a UMD drive and was never even heard of 6 months after release. A massive chunk of PSP games weren't even playable on it. It was arguably the worst iteration of PSP for this reason.

#32 Posted by Kowalo (91 posts) -

I need to learn to not buy handhelds/consoles so close to launch. My vita is a Persona 4:Golden/Gravity Rush machine now.

#33 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I love my Vita and I dont believe the 3DS has any better games that aren't ports of N64 games. Wuat games exactly does the 3DS have that are better than Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, or Call of Duty?

#34 Posted by Stonyman65 (2759 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the Vita was DOA. Stillborn is probably a better term, honestly.

#35 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Icicle7x3 said:

This is exactly the same sentiment I got from the conference. Who gives a shit about gimmicky AR-books and the Move? Focus on a platform that actually is worth a damn! What are you doing Sony?

Thankfully, a few very solid PS3 games were shown. I guess I'll have to sate myself with that.

#36 Posted by DBagalot (159 posts) -

Naw! Naw! The Vita isn't going to fail. There'll be more games.....and youtube....

....Sigh.....

#37 Posted by markhughes3000 (10 posts) -

I sold mine. No games. Nothing interesting on the roadmap.

#38 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@sopranosfan said:

I love my Vita and I dont believe the 3DS has any better games that aren't ports of N64 games. Wuat games exactly does the 3DS have that are better than Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, or Call of Duty?

This

#39 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@sopranosfan said:

If you're talking about games of those very specific styles, then no, you're not going to find them on the 3DS. What you will find are games that are of high quality that occupy other genres with different goals. I'd place Kid Icarus: Uprising as one of the best games to come out on the 3DS or any other platform in years based on the unique blend and depth of its gameplay and the strength of its writing and acting. It is an experience that, as designed, can only be accomplished on the 3DS, and is the best representation of the sort of experiences that developers should be gunning for when designing for the platform. Gameplay that is geared to the handheld's strengths.

I mean, if I wanted to play Uncharted or Call of Duty, I'd do it on a console. And I don't recall Golden Abyss getting particularly high marks, anyway.

#40 Posted by VanillaPlant (146 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@sopranosfan said:

This

And this

#41 Edited by ikaruga (193 posts) -

I'm very disappointed, I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Vita but couldn't justify it when the only game that out now that I want to play is MK which is already on other platforms and the only game I'm looking forward to was persona which I already spent 100hrs on. If only Sony has announce some new titles or even just give details about the vague games that are listed.

#42 Posted by DSGamer (5 posts) -

The thing that's stunning is that they had the balls to talk up PSOne support. PSOne. You know, two consoles ago. The system that debuted in 1995, 17 years ago. This is the lay of the land right now. The PSP plays more PSP games than the Vita does. The PSP plays more Minis than the Vita does. And the PSP has PSOne support "right now". If you go to the store to buy a Sony handheld consider getting a PSP. For the price of a Vita you can get a PSP AND a 3DS and play most of the best games on the Sony mobile platform for cheap.

#43 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The Vita was dead even before it launched.

#44 Posted by Polydeukes (98 posts) -

@DSGamer: @DSGamer said:

The thing that's stunning is that they had the balls to talk up PSOne support. PSOne. You know, two consoles ago. The system that debuted in 1995, 17 years ago. This is the lay of the land right now.

To be fair - lack of PSOne support has been a major gripe of critics. They probably felt they needed to publicly get it out of the way.

#45 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I'm very disappointed in Sony on this front. I was considering buying a Vita this year around Christmas, but the lack of anything even remotely exciting has unsold me. Even the 3DS had stuff on the horizon at this point after its release.

#46 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

From the Sony press conference, these are the things that I found relevant talked about the Vita:

You're forgetting Playstation Mobile, which brings an iOS/Android-ish app store to the Vita. It won't get games that push the hardware to its limits, but it'll lower the bar for porting weird and wonderful indies while aiming to avoid the issues of XBLIG.

#47 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -

Disappointment is an understatement on how I feel about the Vita's presence at E3. I was on the verge of buying one, I just needed that final push. Either a small price cut or a showing of some fantastic games. Those of you that saw it, know that neither of those things made an appearance. 

The fact that I feel bad for just contemplating buying one is an outstanding achievement by Sony. They're really going to need to pull something out of their arses by the end of the year.

#48 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

im not gonna lie. it was pretty low key. but i havnt given up all hope. COD vita and AC3 look great and im sure itll pick up.

if the vita is in the same spot come next E3, then i'll worry.

#49 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Don't worry, we can rebuild it, making stronger, faster better. We have the technology.

Wake Up Club is on its way.

#50 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

I am really glad I opted not to get my relative to bring me back a Vita from the US. I had a look at what was known to be released before the end of the year (I am sure there will be far more that haven't got a date or announcement yet) and I was totally bored:

Gravity Rush, Metal Gear Solid HD, Little BigPlanet, Persona 4: Golden, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, Zone of Enders HD, Soul Sacrifice .......... plus some sport games and a few obscure things .........

I tried to give a fuck, but I can't. It is completely vid of anything new or interesting (Persona is the ONLY game I care about, but not enough to get a console for it). 2013 better be the year I see the right games coming along, and no, that doesn't mean Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed as they send me to sleep as well. These words need to start the name of games I will get up for:

Valkyria Chronicles, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Jeanne D'Arc, Monster Hunter, Tales of, Breath of Fire ..............

I don't think the Vita will die, it will succeed, but it may be a tough road if things don't change soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.