Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Quick Question

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Vanek

So I'm probably going to get one next week and I was wondering if someone that owns one could set me straight regarding screen protectors. I always like to keep my screens in decent condition (tiny bit paranoid about it) and thus protectors are generally a must for me and so I'm wondering if someone can clarify whether or not the slim model comes with one pre applied or not.

I'm hoping it comes with one already on as normally finding a decent one is a pain and getting them on right is always a bigger pain for me. Damn bubbles ...

Anyway! If someone that has a slim could tell me I'd appreciate it. =)

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Quick answer: no it doesn't come with one.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The "fat" one didn't come with a protector, so I'd bet the slim one doesn't either.

I've had mine since late November of last year and it has no scratches on the screen whatsoever. Fingerprints, yes, but no scratches.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This question was slightly not as quick as I anticipated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sorry, no pre-installed protectors. Luckily for you, though, Sony makes their own, and they're pretty well received, so you don't have to worry too much about finding a decent one. There are also a large swath of 3rd party versions.

I personally don't use one and have had no issues since launch, but I can completely understand where you're coming from.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rafaelfc

I bought this case:

No Caption Provided

And never looked back, my screen looks brand new (despite some grease from fingers on it) no scratches whatsoever in it, and I carry my Vita with me all the time when travelling.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'd avoid a protector unless you're going to carry this in a bag or pocket without anything on it. I've had mine since launch and there are no visible scratches, despite travelling with it in my bag all the time. I just have a travel case like the one pictured above.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I have no protective casing and don't play it in public much, there isn't any visible scratching on it

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As others have said, get a case. I have no problem with my launch Vita's unprotected screen.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bsstephan

The Hori or Sony screen protectors are both good (and basically clones of each other, material-wise). Sony does not yet have a Slim screen protector (as far as I've seen, anyway), but Hori's Slim protector is a simple rectangle and fits in the slightly sunken screen area and is really easy to apply. The fat screen protectors are cut out to fit around the sticks and buttons and this can be a bit more annoying to get right.

Anyway, I'm with you, I always get screen protectors. They may not be "necessary", but a minor scratch is a really shitty kind of blemish to get when they are so easy to avoid. I can also confirm that the Sony and Hori material doesn't have any noticeable effect on the touchscreen's sensitivity.

If you're going to get a case as well, I am a huge fan of the Waterfield City Slicker, which looks real nice and also has pouches for five games and a microfiber cloth or whatever.

No Caption Provided

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@vanek:

Mine made it to and from Japan just fine. Just don't do anything horrible to the screen and you won't end up scratching it.

No Caption Provided
    Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I'm going to make sure I buy a decent case for it (some of the suggestions didn't seem easily attainable in the UK) and I'll see if I can find some good third party screen protectors as well. I'm not looking forward to trying to apply them, but I know it'll bug me if I don't get them.

Any mods can feel free to lock this thread now I guess!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.