Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Should i get a VITA?

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Simple question really, should i still invest in a Vita?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Probably not.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

We'll need more information of what you want out of it first before we can provide any advice. I have one and I like it for playing random JRPGs and other things off of PSN.

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah im deff looking for something to have in my bag for some hot Persona action.

Also how is the remoteplay? Want to crack on with games when it's past my bedtime!

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you have a 3DS? I own both a 3DS and VITA and I would never recommend a vita over 3ds. Nearly every good game on vita is playable on other platforms, so in a sense it's more of a great port device to me. Not much on the system was built from the ground up to be a great portable game.

All that said both systems are at their tail end. Vita support died long ago and 3DS will be replaced soon (though 3DS is having an amazing year to be honest).

So my answer is I would get a New 3DS before a vita. If you already own a 3DS my response would be, do you like portable versions of indie PC games and Japanese visual novels of varying degrees of quality?

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By FakeKisser

I bought a Vita last Christmas, and my only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner! I really love being able to play indie games (and the few exclusives) on the portable screen! I find myself being really disappointed when I hear about indie games that don't make it to the Vita. I'm super stoked for SteamWorld Heist to come to the Vita and really hoping Stardew Valley makes it, as well!

I'm going to buy a PS4 soon, and one of the reasons is for Remote Play.

I should note that I'm a father of two children, ages 1 and 2, and I find it harder and harder to get time (and energy) to play games at my computer or to get time in front of the TV by myself. So, portable systems are big for me, right now. I really hope a portable Steam/PC system comes out soon...

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jpon87

Depends on what type of gamer you are and if you own a PS4 and will use off TV play. If you love indies, old PS1 games, and JRPGs, have the money to spend, and will use off screen play its more than worth it!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By rorie

Spelunky alone makes the VITA worthwhile, but there's enough other crossplay stuff on there that I find it worth the money. It's a great travel device, and if you've never played FFX before it's also a great platform for that.

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What @jpon87 said. Seriously, this thing is a treasure trove for anyone who missed out on PS1-2 and PSP era games. Regular sales make it pretty easy to snap up a series or three that you've been meaning to get to. Something I never really grokked until I picked up both a 3DS and a Vita is the ability to freeze your playthrough whenever something else needs your attention. A quick power button tap and you get address whatever's come up before hopping right back in again.

I'd say the perfect price point would be 100 bucks with a decent sized memory card (16gb or higher). If you ever come across that, snap it up!

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For me the Vita is great for stuff like Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Rogue Legacy, Nuclear Throne, ect... I rarely ever use remote play. If you've been a PS+ member for a long time and have remembered to "purchase" the free Vita games every month just to have future access to them then you will also have a great selection of interesting stuff to play right off the bat.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Remote play works pretty well. Obviously the controls are a little different from a DualShock 4, so i wouldn't recommend anything too fast paced. It was nice to grind some of the single player portions of Destiny, but i would have been massacred if i tried PvP in that game with a Vita (latency was fine, it was just the controls for me).

And i always recommend one if you have been getting all the PS+ games for it, because that's an instant backlog of nice games to play for "free". And there are some nice sales from time to time that are worth it, and the cross buy games. Just be aware that most things that come out for it now are from Japan or indie games, and that the memory card alone can be a good portion of the price of a Vita.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

@kilroyandy: Game selection is probably a little more limited than other platforms, but if it has games you want to play, it is a great handheld device. I got mine about 18 months ago, and love it. I haven't played that many games on it (compared to other platforms at least), but the ones I have are more than worth the price of admission (Persona 4 The Golden, Persona 4 Dancing All Night, Persona 3 Portable, Steins;Gate, Danganronpa, VLR, Taiko no Tatsujin, Utakumi575 + a random selection indie/PSPlus titles) and I have plenty of stuff I want to get to at some point (Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Disgaea, Freedom Wars, Mind0).

I've only really dabbed with remote play, but it seemed to work fine (felt a little more responsive than XB1 game streaming, but still obviously non-native).

The games are pretty much a known quantity at this point (new releases are sparse - mostly new localisations and cross-play titles. There's a decent list on this blog), but the hardware feels great (for a lot of games I actually prefer playing on the Vita to my non-portable consoles). I'd definitely recommend it over the 3DS (I hate the poor display quality on the 3DS, but games are obviously a huge factor that is pretty subjective).

The main downside is the price of memory cards - I ended up buying an imported 64GB card, and it cost me nearly as much as I paid for the Vita+P4G. They've come down a little since then, but they are ridiculously expensive compared to e.g. SD cards.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you had PS Plus for a while you should have been accumulating dozens of Vita games to flesh out your library, also a lot of PS4 and PS3 titles are cross-buy. It's a great device and it's unfortunate that it didn't do so well but I absolutely love mine.

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ericjasonwade: that's what I'm thinking, got a years worth of plus under my belt and activated all the licences too

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Don't expect it to be something you use constantly like a Console or PC. I only use my vita every few months, but I still love it. It's the best place to play games like spelunky, binding of Issac, crypt of the necrodancer, etc. Those types of games come out often enough for me to appreciate it.

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a lot of really good PSP games you can play on it. I'm a big fighting game nut so having Tekken Dark Resurrection and Darkstalkers Chaos Tower is a big plus. But uh, don't get a Vita unless you find one for real cheap because its despite my willingness to support it, its borderline dead.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I played 1,000 games of Spelunky on my Vita, so yes.

Really, though, cross-buy is a great reason to own it. Surprised how often I just want to play a smaller game on it rather than booting up the PS4. It feels good to play, it has a ton of great games (though only a few exclusives), battery life is solid, and Muramasa: Rebirth is a hell of a game.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ericjasonwade

@kilroyandy: Yea when I purchased my Vita I already had like 2-3 years worth of PS plus games stacked so I didn't have to buy anything because I had most of the good games the Vita had to offer. Now that I think about it I think I've only purchased 1 game for my Vita and the rest of what I've played has been through PS plus or cross-buy.

Also if you do intend to purchase it I recommend getting at least a 16gb memory card along with it or more. It can get really frustrating deleting and installing to manage your memory. I have a used game store close to where I live and they were selling them for 20$ and that's really cheap considering those cards can go for a lot due to them being Sony's ridiculous proprietary technology.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have issues so own everything. My Vita is probably my favourite gaming device and I rarely use it outside my house.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite a few great games already and access to psp library but slim pickings for future releases. Still peobably worth it esp. if cheap.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worth it for Persona 4 alone. Get it!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Every few months I think "I should get a VITA to play Final Fantasy X and Persona 4 Golden!" - especially to play them at university without needing to bring a PS2... but I don't have the money. ARGH Why must it taunt me so!

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

I bought a PS TV on Monday, or as I prefer to call it - A £60 Persona 4 Golden player.

If you don't need portability and the games you're interested in are compatible, it's decent value. I already have Dualshock 3s and 4s plus a surprising number of cross buy games already so you might need to factor in the price of a controller.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I play my Vita more than I do my PS4. Not that that's really saying much.

Good system with a surprisingly good library. Never look at the recently released tab though, it's just anime panties dlc all day every day.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Killzone Mercenary fulfilled my need for an FPS on a handheld which I wanted since the PSP. 2014 was pretty much my year of Persona 4 Golden/Chie worship. Senran Kagura is a guilty pleasure, but replacing the game's music with an all death metal custom soundtrack makes it pretty awesome. And it's nice to have something that can play some PSP games every once in a while so that I don't have to resort to piracy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.